• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

So I started my week long trial...

86 posts in this topic

Posted

About three days ago, I decided to give it a chance and see what the fuss is about. I wanted to try the game out before I decided whether or not I wanted to devote some serious time to this game. 

It didn't even take me the whole week. 

Where do I even start...Well let's start with the good, because there are some things this game does, and does well.

The character creation options are pretty great, some small complaints on variety of certain aspects but otherwise very in-depth and well done. The graphics are nice, even on the medium and low settings. The combat is a lot of fun, it reminds me of C9 which, aside from the people in charge of it and their crappy management of it, I enjoyed a lot. The game gives you plenty of bonuses and incentives as a new player to catch up, which is also very much appreciated.

So now we get to what will be the bulk of this post, unfortunately. 

To start with, and the most glaringly obvious negative for this game. As a new player, aside from the storyline I have absolutely NO CLUE what I am supposed to be doing or preparing for. I have played for the last three days for at least eight hours a day and in a full 24+ hours of playtime I still have not seen a single bit of information in-game about ANY of the crafting, gathering, etc. skills other than that they exist. I still have no clue what crafts I should be leveling, I have no idea what materials I should be gathering, heck I don't even know how you upgrade gear in this game! I know it involves the shadow and I know you need the black stones but other than that, not a peep.

Aside from the severe...well I would call it a shortage but that implies that there is any...absence of information for new players, the UI is ATROCIOUS. It is easily the least user friendly interface I have seen in ANY mmo I have ever played, and I played FFXIV (1.0) for the love of god! I have been playing mmos since 2006 and not once have they come to the level of needing a spreadsheet to access basic functions. That's not even getting into basic commands (like mounts) that have for some unfathomable reason been farmed out to NPCs. Don't even get me started on having to run or ride literally everywhere in a game this large.

There is also no excuse other than trying to sell cash shop items, THAT ANY mmo developed after the year 2007 should have a weight system for items. 

I don't understand how they expect the game to ever draw in new players when their first experience is this confusing, and aggravating. A simple rule of thumb is : if it's too long or complicated to explain in game, IT SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR GAME.  

And I know I'm being nitpicky will this last point, but Xingcode in 2017? Really Kakau? The bottom of the barrel, has been broken for over a decade, installing third party software without the user's permission security program is what you decided on?

3 people like this

Posted

I don't understand how they expect the game to ever draw in new players when their first experience is this confusing, and aggravating. A simple rule of thumb is : if it's too long or complicated to explain in game, IT SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR GAME.

lol git gud @ understanding. Not everything is simple, maybe life will teach you one day.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

There are quests about some life skills, but by default they are hidden for whatever reason. You can choose to show/hide certain quests in the quest menu. There is a quest that shows upgrading and extracting around lv 30, but yeah, this game kinda just throws you into it. 

This game is pretty much about getting silver, and obtaining stronger gear with the option to do other things, but those other things are pretty much just alternative ways to obtain silver to get better gear. What game isn't like that tho?

Edited by Marlin

Posted

Use google and BD database

Also http://www.somethinglovely.net/bdo/ is a good resource.

Most of the fun of the game is to understand and figure out things that are rather complicated (for a game) and then extract profit from such activity. 

Posted

Although your complaints are not unreasonable, the whole "lack of information"-issue can be resolved by using Google...

3 people like this

Posted

W--w-w-what? I´m sorry sir, but if you played eight ours each day for three days and not come over tutorials and other guides in the game you are either staring at a brick wall or just killing mobs endlessly...and even if you were killing mobs the black spirit should have given you tons of quests on how to do things. If you go into the Bs you will see a "Guide" part even...I seriously don't get it. You can use google if you by the time you discovered the guide in-game hasn't understood how to do the small things. This game is not supposed to give you everything on a silver plater..even though the events recently seem to indicate that. BDO has three simple steps that need to be followed. 

1. Grind...to what level? Doesn't matter, if you´re not 62 then you´re not done with the grinding. 

2. Git Gud//Get gear. How? Grind>Buy it. 

3. Ask. Make threads, git a guild that's noob friendly...etc, just get yourself informed because the game isn't going to hold ya hands all the time. 

Posted (edited)

Don't even get me started on having to run or ride literally everywhere in a game this large.

There's pretty much ANY OTHER MMO out there if you want fast travel. The LACK of fast travel is one of bdo's selling points :x. Sorry but if you dislike that, then like I said, pretty much ANY OTHER MMO might suit you better :).

Also... did you expect to learn everything about a game without even spending a week or two trying to learn`? O.o We have google at this day and age :o and the channel chat, and the server chat, and the general (aka nearby) chat :/ All you need to do is ask people if there's something you don't understand and you don't feel like googling it. 

Oh btw, about lack of information: when you hit level 20 or so you can activate all types of quests, not just combat ones (aka the default mode only shows combat). This will lead you to get life skill quests etc which will introduce you to each craft (assuming you take the quest for each craft ofc) ^^ 

Edited by aidlac
3 people like this

Posted

To start with, and the most glaringly obvious negative for this game. As a new player, aside from the storyline I have absolutely NO CLUE what I am supposed to be doing or preparing for. I have played for the last three days for at least eight hours a day and in a full 24+ hours of playtime I still have not seen a single bit of information in-game about ANY of the crafting, gathering, etc. skills other than that they exist. I still have no clue what crafts I should be leveling, I have no idea what materials I should be gathering, heck I don't even know how you upgrade gear in this game! I know it involves the shadow and I know you need the black stones but other than that, not a peep.

Just keep going. You'll figure things out in due time.  You are not going to be handicapped because you didn't start leveling life skills when you were level 20 instead of 50.

You will get a tutorial on Enchanting gear when you get to Delphe Knights castle. The black Spirit also has a "Guide" section in his menu that will send you to NPCs that will guide you through the life skill quests.

Once you are ready to tackle life skills, make sure to turn on "all quests" in your quest log to make the non-combat quests appear.

Aside from the severe...well I would call it a shortage but that implies that there is any...absence of information for new players, the UI is ATROCIOUS. It is easily the least user friendly interface I have seen in ANY mmo I have ever played, and I played FFXIV (1.0) for the love of god! I have been playing mmos since 2006 and not once have they come to the level of needing a spreadsheet to access basic functions. That's not even getting into basic commands (like mounts) that have for some unfathomable reason been farmed out to NPCs. Don't even get me started on having to run or ride literally everywhere in a game this large.

I've told friends who asked that there's a reason why there is a 7-day trial. Because it takes that long to stop feeling completely lost.  A lot of the interface is counter-intuitive, but you do get used to most of it over time.

There is also no excuse other than trying to sell cash shop items, THAT ANY mmo developed after the year 2007 should have a weight system for items. 

And that is exactly why it exists in this game.

Most things are actually explained in game. The life skill and node connection quests are quite detailed. But they are not easy to find at times, until you've gotten used to the game.

But for optimization, particularly when it comes to enhancing gear, then yes, Google is your friend.

Welcome to the desert. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Posted (edited)

Umm........the Black Spirit gives you quests to teach you about enchanting.

If you talk to the NPCs with quest icons in the beginning areas of the game........they also teach you about farming basics.

If you talk to the NPCs in Heidel (you get led there by quests) you will come upon NPCs that teach you about Alchemy, Cooking etc.

You have to go talk to NPCs, and read what they say. Then read what the quest is telling you to do.

Or..............just google.

Edited by Ravare

Posted

Should? Should?

Your goal is your own as mine is mine and hers is hers and his is his. 'Should' is therefore subjective and what you are 'supposed to do' is determined by what you want to achieve (if anything), what you enjoy and what you want from the potential pool of time and effort you're willing to invest in the game. Know those and you are gifted something to aim for... by magical logic and personal preference.

That said, this game is (slightly) complex in that it has a variety of mechanisms to suit a variety of playstyles and preferences. As a result, full information as to all of the nuts and bolts isn't provided spooishly in-game. There are, however, tons of guides, walthroughs, words and videos. Google.

So... pick your own poison. The game is tailored to fit different shapes and sizes.

As for your contention that 'if it's too long or complicated to explain in game, IT SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR GAME'... bang goes chess. Pesky knights and darned collision mechanics. Bah. Draughts is better. Biffbaffboff. Sorted.

Horses for courses.

Posted

As was said... Most of the complaints are actually solved with black spirit questline...

Rest (weight, fast travel) are parts of the game, and should stay as they are... Also if you want easy game go play candy crush... Some of us are here exactly bcs it aint as simple as tetris...

2 people like this

Posted

Its interesting that you say this because i actually felt the exact opposite to me it seemed like Velia is a town that explained every thing i needed to know about the crafting/processing in this game. If you stick to  story line quests / black spirit quests i can see how you came to this conclusion. I think they even get you to craft some beer for quests so you learn how to use a house to and put crafting stations down if i am not mistaken. I am not 100% on this one however i think they also give you a worker maybe and you have to take him to the worker manager.

The whole enchanting thing i am not sure what you are getting at there. I mean you do a quest pretty early on to learn about it, Well i should say unlock it and their is quests later down the line that get you to enchant weapons/armor to +5 and weapon to +7 teaching you about enchanting and extracting black stones from armor.

How much do you need to know about enchanting? 

In Aion my previous game it was just grab stone put it in nothing teaching you about how to do it or nothing. I am just a little confused on what you want to know about the enchanting.

1 person likes this

Posted

About three days ago, I decided to give it a chance and see what the fuss is about. I wanted to try the game out before I decided whether or not I wanted to devote some serious time to this game. 

Where do I even start...Well let's start with the good, because there are some things this game does, and does well.

The character creation options are pretty great, some small complaints on variety of certain aspects but otherwise very in-depth and well done. The graphics are nice, even on the medium and low settings. The combat is a lot of fun, it reminds me of C9 which, aside from the people in charge of it and their crappy management of it, I enjoyed a lot. The game gives you plenty of bonuses and incentives as a new player to catch up, which is also very much appreciated.

And I know I'm being nitpicky will this last point, but Xingcode in 2017? Really Kakau? The bottom of the barrel, has been broken for over a decade, installing third party software without the user's permission security program is what you decided on?

God I love when new players take a big steamy dump on the forums as their first post and then just walk away, leaving everyone else to comment about how big and steamy it is. 

5 people like this

Posted

The game is huge to judge for only a week or less.

Just go research and have fun.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

- here , take my hand  - NOT BDO.

I often compare BDO to '' the dark soul '' of mmo.

you gotta figure it out bro.

plenty of in-games tutorial about EVERYTHING.
starter quests explains stuff.

I'm sorry for you if you need your hand held constantly.

welcome to BDO !
give it another go and remind yourself this is NOT A KID GAME ( aka WoW ).

- edit - red text -
lol , you just started and you'd like teleports everywhere ? get a clue teleports are bad for an open world game. use the autorun fonction , again turotial right at beginning.

Edited by Sizer

Posted

Funniest thing is... OP wants fast travel after one week... He has yet to cross a dessert without dying or getting lost or cross ocean without bein eaten by shark after it smashed his boat... :D

3 people like this

Posted

Funniest thing is... OP wants fast travel after one week... He has yet to cross a dessert without dying or getting lost or cross ocean without bein eaten by shark after it smashed his boat... :D

but olvia to heidel takes so fcking long ! game should have a heartstone like wow !

Posted

OP must be a part of the "hold my hand and tell me what to do because I cannot figure things out for myself" generation. 

Clash of Clans is just a download away on your phone. Maybe mobile gaming is more your forte.

2 people like this

Posted

This game is a pick your poison type of game. Yes, there are storylines but overall BDO basically hands you a big game in which you figure out your own adventure. Even I became really frustrated as a new player back in the day because I couldn't figure out what to be doing next, but then I joined a guild and they taught me things about gearing up and such. This is a game that takes investment and personal thought, rather than following a set guide until the end. I've been playing this game since launch and I still don't know how to do everything.

I think one of my friends, who has a Master level in just about every life skill, put it best: "all it takes is a little curiosity", "take every resource and learn what can be done with it". You have to have a curiosity to learn things in this game. While life skills involve a lot of AFK time, they're still quite an in depth process when it comes to making it profitable and mastering what can be done with it.

So, yeah, TL;DR: everything in this game is a process and takes time to learn. You will understand it if you have the drive to learn it. There are quests in this game that will teach you how to do a lot of things, but even the quests have to be dug out by your own investment as separated from the storyline.

5 people like this

Posted

I've played for a week too. Go back to games for 12 yearolds then if it's SOOOO confusing. I had no trouble figuring things out on my own and I love it so much that I bought the game on day 2 and a 30d value pack.

1 person likes this

Posted

They even gave my alt a +9 weapon to start with so i dont have to worry about it for a few levels.. 

Posted

This game is a pick your poison type of game. Yes, there are storylines but overall BDO basically hands you a big game in which you figure out your own adventure. Even I became really frustrated as a new player back in the day because I couldn't figure out what to be doing next, but then I joined a guild and they taught me things about gearing up and such. This is a game that takes investment and personal thought, rather than following a set guide until the end. I've been playing this game since launch and I still don't know how to do everything.

I think one of my friends, who has a Master level in just about every life skill, put it best: "all it takes is a little curiosity", "take every resource and learn what can be done with it". You have to have a curiosity to learn things in this game. While life skills involve a lot of AFK time, they're still quite an in depth process when it comes to making it profitable and mastering what can be done with it.

So, yeah, TL;DR: everything in this game is a process and takes time to learn. You will understand it if you have the drive to learn it. There are quests in this game that will teach you how to do a lot of things, but even the quests have to be dug out by your own investment as separated from the storyline.

I appreciate the helpful responses here, it's nice to see the people who try to help rather than blindly lashing out at someone's experience. I'm also glad so many people found a way to enjoy the game for themselves. 

That being said, this is kind of my entire issue with the game. Free trials are meant to show new players what the game offers them and all I've seen so far is a whole lot of "figure it out yourself" from the game. 

While I understand the game is satisfying when you actually figure things out, it doesn't feel like fun actually getting there, and at the end of the day the main thing I care about in a game is whether I've had fun or not. 

Posted

dark_souls.thumb.jpg.94aa02f9614a3493dbe

This what visualised in my mind when reading this post.

There are quests that will explain to you everything basic from gathering to buying houses as warehouse expansion. After lv 20 you can turn all quests on and you will see a lot of green framed quests that are for for lifeskills.  Enchanting lessons take place around lv 30. and are continued later on when you get piecec of armor (name starts with "D"). and quests to gather around a bunch of blackstones for killing stronger and stronger mobs.

You only need to want to learn.

4 people like this

Posted

I've never really understood all the love for the character creator.  It's pants, so you can make a females butt and boobs bigger, so what, if in the end they end wearing exactly the same armour as 90% of the other characters in the game.  There's no different races really, they're all basically humanoid, even the giants aren't very big compared to the actual giants in the game.  Want a male ranger, nope, want a female zerker nope.

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the helpful responses here, it's nice to see the people who try to help rather than blindly lashing out at someone's experience. I'm also glad so many people found a way to enjoy the game for themselves. 

That being said, this is kind of my entire issue with the game. Free trials are meant to show new players what the game offers them and all I've seen so far is a whole lot of "figure it out yourself" from the game. 

While I understand the game is satisfying when you actually figure things out, it doesn't feel like fun actually getting there, and at the end of the day the main thing I care about in a game is whether I've had fun or not. 

The game tells you almost everything.

The only one thing that the game doesn't tell you is what you are suposedI to do because you choose it.

What you figure out is the best way to do it and how to optimize it.

Sorry but it seems you want an instant gratification game where everything is served in front on the player just when he please. Unless you want to learn usingI guides, figuring out for yourself or you know... joining a guild and asking them for info and help like all newcomers are supposed to do in a mmorpg then this game isn't for you.

Edited by Edremis