• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starter's dilemmas

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

I know this is a boring question, almost unanswerable but I decided to give BDO a try for the free 7 days and I'm undecided on a class I'm going to play. This isn't a 'which is best' question, more of a question to experienced players...

I was hoping to try a sorceress class from the videos I've seen on YouTube but everywhere I looked it mentions the class being really difficult to learn. Is this true? Is it worth playing a ranger or witch first to learn the basics and re-roll later? I generally usually play melee classes but thought I might give ranged ones a go this time, even though sorceress seems like mid-range?

Now secondly, how newbie friendly is the game and the community? Are guilds likely to recruit beginners? Am I ever going to catch up with those playing since launch while having 3-4 hours of gaming time a day?

Hope that's not too exhaustive, would really appreciate your help!

Edited by Tutturu

Posted

I was hoping to try a sorceress class from the videos I've seen on YouTube but everywhere I looked it mentions the class being really difficult to learn. Is this true? Is it worth playing a ranger or witch first to learn the basics and re-roll later? I generally usually play melee classes but thought I might give ranged ones a go this time.

First, I must say that being difficult doesnt mean that you wont be able to do nothing if you are an average player. It means that you'll have to try harder if you want to get the 100% of its power, but is a good class even if you don't. If you like it, go for it. 3-4 hours of playtime is enough to master every class (of course, not only in the 7 days of the trial). And answering your question, I have heard the same about sorc, but I've never used it, so I cannot tell for sure. But take into account that after 56 all classes get their awakenings, a Scythe for Sorc and a Sword for Ranger. So, if you really want to play a ranged class, you should try Witch, Wizard.

Now secondly, how newbie friendly is the game and the community? Are guilds likely to recruit beginners? Am I ever going to catch up with those playing since launch while having 3-4 hours of gaming time a day?

At the beginning you may think that there is a lot to do. "Too much", you may think. The game isn't really beginner friendly, altough it will guide you trough the map, and giving you quest to learn and so on, it will take you some time to get used to everything. But the players will help you if you need, in the forum for example. And yes, there are a lot of guilds that recruit beginners. Some guilds also have a requirement, in general X AP/DP and maybe VoIP programs. They are PVP focused, but don't worry if you are interested in PVP, you'll be able to reach that point relatively easily.

About the last question: altough the game "has no limits" there are a lot of soft caps that limit aspects of the game, making beginners to being able to catch older players. Also, there are always a lot of events and stuff that helps newest players (exclusive rewards, Olvia channels for +EXP). I think 3-4 hours are enough to catch up anything you want in the game

Posted

take into account that after 56 all classes get their awakenings, a Scythe for Sorc and a Sword for Ranger. So, if you really want to play a ranged class, you should try Witch, Wizard.

I see, well I've been reading on the sorceress sub-section with people saying the awakening makes sorceress really weak compared to other classes. I guess that heavily depends on the player I'm just conscious that with limited play-time, if I were to choose a class that's hard to master, I would like it to be rewarding in the mid-long term at least.

there are a lot of guilds that recruit beginners. Some guilds also have a requirement, in general X AP/DP and maybe VoIP programs. They are PVP focused, but don't worry if you are interested in PVP, you'll be able to reach that point relatively easily... there are a lot of soft caps that limit aspects of the game, making beginners to being able to catch older players.

That's good to hear, I'm prepared for a game with a lot of content and learning time. I'm vary that some games especially the ones that have been out for a year or more tend to be less beginner friendly. As an example, Aion (a game I played for a long time) was extremely unfriendly for new players with a horrible community to add to that.

Good to hear that I can still join and have a chance of competing with some older players, looking forward to it now - 1 hour left to download! Thanks for your comments, very useful stuff.

It would be good to get some more feedback on the class situation from someone who played a sorceress

Posted

During the Event I'd say get a Dark Knight to 45 at least. If you like Dark Knight you will like Sorc. My first character was a Sorc and I don't see the difficulty.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0