• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Is farming really worth it VS other lifeskill profits

21 posts in this topic

Posted

There comes a time in every BDO players lifecourse were you feel somewhat content and wanna settle down from active grinding. Now looking back I've been doing a lot of farming the last months, mainly for "semi active" income but also for the supposed t9 mats you can make by cooking/converting some of the byproducts. But in the end I'm finding farming extremely tedious, I have 10 large farms for strawberry that are picked once a day (no workers on farm) by skipping pruning (which cuts the time in half as most of the time I dont get shards anyway). This gives on average 1000 strawberries which grants me around 6 mill a day which is 42 mill a week on marketplace. This is a really low figure in terms of 100 CP invested.

I guess I know the answer but longterm profit, processing/crates is where its at moneywise. Dont see how changing farming products is going to boost anything, nor if I could make another product from farming through alch or cooking. I know some guys who make good money from crates, but they can manage their PC via teamviewer from work, whereas at best I could have 1600 weight with karki suit, but I dont know how many hours this would allow me to AFK process vs downtime when weight is full (8 hour work days), and if the downtime is too long is it even worth it. I was also considering doing the grunil workshops, but by doing crate trading it would cut my 250 CP short.

Im not nec looking for specific answers, just thoughts around this whole process, have you been there, what are your experiences if you wanna share. In the end longterm we all wanna find some good ways to make steady AFK income when pushing gear beyond tri/tet.

Posted (edited)

Grinding money Maximum profit require Maid and T4 Pet and maximum Weight and branded weapon and a contested grind spot... for reach arround 9-17m/hours  hard 1billion/week (14h/day)

Lifeskill is good cause you can play another game during im and get arround 300-600m/week.

Edited by Catastigma

Posted

Yes iknow that, and playing 14 hrs a day purely by grinding would kill me. Afk activities would be during sleep and work

1 person likes this

Posted

I farm too. It's tedious, huge CP sink and the reward isn't as great as some of the other life skills. However, it does yield some component / ingredients for other money making ventures. I don't assign any workers to my farms. I have one of my energy alts stationed there and just log her in and out as required.

I completely agree with your post and thoughts. You're right on track. 

Posted

The great part about farming is that you can grind while your crops grow.

You can't gather and grind. Process and grind. Cook or craft anything while you grind.

So farming is an extra for active and afk time. That's why farming yields less money/h than other activities.

1 person likes this

Posted

Grinding money Maximum profit require Maid and T4 Pet and maximum Weight and branded weapon and a contested grind spot... for reach arround 9-17m/hours  hard 1billion/week (14h/day)

Lifeskill is good cause you can play another game during im and get arround 300-600m/week.

You're now forgeting something. Even if player has maid, pets and so on, grinding still requires gear. So for low gear level life skills are actually best way to make silver but at the same time it has downside not getting combat / skill poit xp.

So my advice is this: Atleast do 30mins grind per day. Thats the minimun that player should aim and on weekends try to do more grinding than life skills because of XP bonuses

Posted

Put workers on your farm, harvest every three hours. If you're not tring for hards, then there's no reason not to run workers and harvest multiple times per day. You are farming in literally the most inefficient manner possible, which is why your income is so poor.

That's not saying there aren't better ways to invest that 100CP - but if it's in farms, and you don't want to get shards, then put workers on them and harvest multiple times a day. Better yet would be running half sunflowers, connecting the honey node, and making as many Professional Good Smelling boxes as you can - but first step, if you don't want shards, is put some giants onto your farms and harvest regularly.

Posted

The problem I have with farming is that I'm not really sure what I should harvest unless I need something so craft but since I'm not a life skiller I end not doing it :P

Posted

I have gone around doing all the lifeskills, master in alot of em. Farming is only good as far as being the most afk-able of the life skills. As you mentioned, processing is better money (especially if you're higher processing), and is semi-afkable . I'd say active fishing (hunting down hotspots with triple-float rods to get full invens of gold fish) is the best if you want to pay more attention and get higher profit. Trading is good past Master 2, but complete garbage before that. 

Cooking, Alchemy, and having workers craft things can all be significant income as well but require specific setup (there are always bottleneck ingredients you need to hope to buy or gather by hand. Definitely should setup at least basic Grunil/life clothes production at minimum.

Im master gathering and i suppose its fine money, but it bores me terribly.

And all life skills will be  inferior to grinding anyways, unless your high master and have god tier setup.

Posted

Thing is, once you have all important gathering nodes, trade route for crates and more ore+wood nodes than able to process, your options are kinda limited.

You can either get into crafting, buy houses with higher tier craftstations and begin to mass-produce stuff like Grunil. However, that's not afk money really since you need to process&gather to keep things going.

Than there's using CP to rent fences. Unless you're into alchemy or cooking and grow for that, you only have 2 options. Grow crops to sell. Grow crops to make crates. The profit is pretty similar.

Only passive money I can think of, other than farms, is trying to get a nr1 house to unlock special crates or investment banking. If you buy a house at the end of a "cluster" that costs ton of CP to unlock, you're chances of reaching number 1 without using real life money for furniture+interiors, increases a lot. But really dont know much about it. Like we all know Arehaza Flesh Coconut crate is loads of passive money, but you 100% need to use your credit card to "win" that lol. No clue about other node specialities or banks in terms of profit.

1 person likes this

Posted

Put workers on your farm, harvest every three hours. If you're not tring for hards, then there's no reason not to run workers and harvest multiple times per day. You are farming in literally the most inefficient manner possible, which is why your income is so poor.

That's not saying there aren't better ways to invest that 100CP - but if it's in farms, and you don't want to get shards, then put workers on them and harvest multiple times a day. Better yet would be running half sunflowers, connecting the honey node, and making as many Professional Good Smelling boxes as you can - but first step, if you don't want shards, is put some giants onto your farms and harvest regularly.

i actually did that n was profitable but at the same time i had to do more of something tedious, and had to much more schedule this into my day which was stressful. I ended up so far connecting treant to val, n invest intoI workers n tree-rock nodes to slowly build up for crates trading. 

Posted

Your problem is your only getting 1 harvest per day

if you are not in a position to harvest 3 times a day, then farming will not be worth it 

Posted

Its all in the attitude you want in the game. I work a lot of hours in real life but I do have the luxury of having the game on at work. So I afk craft and farm while at work and grind mobs for couple hours at night. I know from games in the past that its to easy to start making the game a job, then you stop having fun. BDO has the opportunity to be more relax and just enjoy the game and be completive same time. An yes I do make about 300 mil a week just on afk and if I get lucky on bosses and grinding is all bonus. which good enough for me :)

Posted

I use farming as filler lifeskill. Its absolutely not worth to have 10*10 fences for me. Here is why:

1. 100 CP required that is huge
  2. Costs energy - needs multiple characters to maintain or you will just not refill energy so then the farms become inefficient
  3. Eats lot of active playing time to harvest, prune

I only use 6*4 fences & 1*1 fence so that is 25 slots but I harvest plants 2-3 times per day sometimes I also prune. If I prune more often my prof10 gardener will run out of energy (if I use one slot plants). I rotate sunflovers/strawberries and cows. If I have 4000 TQ sunflowers & 4000 TQ strawberries harvested I switch to cows, after I harvested 6000 milk I switch back to TQ sunflowers/TQ strawberries.
Larger farms are usable if you plan doing cows only. Or you play BDO as farming simulator

Posted

Farming is good with combination of some grind areas, some elite areas you can put a farm down and have things grow while you grind elite bosses then when there is no more  and you cant channel hop you spend those 5 minutes pruning for sharps/hards.

Posted

300-600m a week god damn. Evne witha  worker empire i barely make 1 mil a week lmao. i must be doing something wrong 

Posted

300-600m a week god damn. Evne witha  worker empire i barely make 1 mil a week lmao. i must be doing something wrong 

all excavation node give you like 10m/week just with scrap item.. stop use green worker. buy Artisan one

Posted

what is this teamview and how does it work?  can you use this teamviewer on your phone?

Posted

There comes a time in every BDO players lifecourse were you feel somewhat content and wanna settle down from active grinding. Now looking back I've been doing a lot of farming the last months, mainly for "semi active" income but also for the supposed t9 mats you can make by cooking/converting some of the byproducts. But in the end I'm finding farming extremely tedious, I have 10 large farms for strawberry that are picked once a day (no workers on farm) by skipping pruning (which cuts the time in half as most of the time I dont get shards anyway). This gives on average 1000 strawberries which grants me around 6 mill a day which is 42 mill a week on marketplace. This is a really low figure in terms of 100 CP invested.

you also could have yellow workers on the farms to get 5k weed a day. 

Posted

Should our servers end up using the same ingredient tree KR has in place, you will need ingredients from farming (the byproducts) for upgrading your T8 Courser Horse to a T9 -Pegasus, Hell Steed, or Unicorn.

Posted

I guess I know the answer but longterm profit, processing/crates is where its at moneywise. Dont see how changing farming products is going to boost anything, nor if I could make another product from farming through alch or cooking. I know some guys who make good money from crates, but they can manage their PC via teamviewer from work, whereas at best I could have 1600 weight with karki suit, but I dont know how many hours this would allow me to AFK process vs downtime when weight is full (8 hour work days), and if the downtime is too long is it even worth it. I was also considering doing the grunil workshops, but by doing crate trading it would cut my 250 CP short.

Im not nec looking for specific answers, just thoughts around this whole process, have you been there, what are your experiences if you wanna share. In the end longterm we all wanna find some good ways to make steady AFK income when pushing gear beyond tri/tet.

i find farming to be pretty profitable. now my setup is 10 7 slot farms, all with workers on them because i already use my gathering alts for gathering various mats.

i grow what i need in rotations, but since im actively grinding at the moment and not life skilling, im growing 2-3 rotations of special carrots. its least 14 mill no nonsense income, though sometime takes a bit of time to sell the carrots.

this leaves me to grind during my actve time and process/fish during inactive time. so i think thats all good. the average over weekly/monthly is definitely lower because every few days i have breeding runs only and all that.

but before and after this grinding period, i grow rotaitions of mats that are needed for me in imperial cooking/alchemy and regular cooking and alchemy, since thats where most my income comes from. along with that i have the regular timber and ores invested in and i process and sell them every end of the week, i just do these 3 things on the regular so i am not a complete life skiller by any means
regualr income from life skilling is usually 55-60 mill consistent, ups and downs due to opportunistic sales and off days range it down to 20-90 mill/ day

1 person likes this