• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Bdo on the new m.2 ssds

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, im  gonna get a new pc this week and also need a new ssd.

So ive got my eyes on a Samsung 960 pro m.2 amazed by its writing and reading speeds but is quite expensive.

Any of you are running on a similiar ssd and if you do, how does bdo perform on it?

Ty v!

Posted

I would be curious to know this also, i have one sitting in my new pc im building and wondering if ill pick up any performance gains at all 

tho everything ive seen thus far says there will be no differences at all, but then again no other game is as poorly optimized as bdo

Posted

my BDO is on a samsung 960 evo m.2 
It's not any faster than being on a conventional SSD drive.

However, if you get a pci-e m.2 drive with a motherboard that supports it, that would help loading potential tremendously.

Posted

So ive got my eyes on a Samsung 960 pro m.2 amazed by its writing and reading speeds but is quite expensive.

Any of you are running on a similiar ssd and if you do, how does bdo perform on it?

Ty v!

Samsung 950 m.2 NVme (pci-e) yeah no noticeable difference between it & SSD, loading areas same, logging in the same, much the same only difference to loading was GPU 980ti (stuff loaded when there) vs 1080 (stuff waiting to load, stuck in place spiriting into calphion e,t,c,)

my BDO is on a samsung 960 evo m.2 
It's not any faster than being on a conventional SSD drive.

However, if you get a pci-e m.2 drive with a motherboard that supports it, that would help loading potential tremendously.

Posted

Samsung 950 m.2 NVme (pci-e) yeah no noticeable difference between it & SSD, loading areas same, logging in the same, much the same only difference to loading was GPU 980ti (stuff loaded when there) vs 1080 (stuff waiting to load, stuck in place spiriting into calphion e,t,c,)

Based on this http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-1080 1080 completely obliterate 980 Ti so how it's possible to have better performance with 980 Ti? doesn't make sense if you compare the power of each card so can you explain that to me?

Posted (edited)

Based on this http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-vs-GeForce-GTX-1080 1080 completely obliterate 980 Ti so how it's possible to have better performance with 980 Ti? doesn't make sense if you compare the power of each card so can you explain that to me?

Should menchion 1440p - 980ti Better loading times Large unquestionable difference, As for Performance/FPS - 1080 has a higher lowest FPS figure on 1440p/graphics are all about the same. Also 2x1080 SLI on the HB brdige doesnt fix the loading difference. < -- This is limited to BDO, other games hard to tell the difference Except dx12 games 1080 out performs just.
These are the 2 cards i compared: (x99 5930k run both GPU's, x99 5960 only has the 980ti results, if i didnt beak my cpu pins i'll test the 1080 at a later date on it)

https://www.asus.com/nz/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/
http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080G1-GAMING-8GD#kf

Edited by prymortal

Posted

at least can you guys give me some insight of what i can achieve in game with this build: 

cpu: i7 6800 @ 3400 (3800 turbo) 

gpu: gainward gtx 1070 gs glh

mobo: msi x99 gaming pro carbon  

memory: 16gb ram

Looking to know if i will get decent fps and no stutter in sieges.

Thx again guys 

Posted (edited)

at least can you guys give me some insight of what i can achieve in game with this build: 

Thx again guys 

1080p? http://pastebin.com/taCfYmFP use these settings, my friend does & swears by them, i think its acutally only a a few small changes from stock. Should be good FPS with effects on, Except hidel & world bosses at times.
Alot of the stutter is server side issues, not client/cpu/gpu....

Edited by prymortal
1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, a better SSD will help with the pop ins, but this is only according to my own experience. Switched from a SSD with 500 rs to one with 2.5k, which pretty much took it away. 

Posted (edited)

Using a 960Pro NVMe, no noticeable difference with a regular SSD.

Also, if you think it's more expensive, look at the price of the 950Pro (Which is previous gen), totally different D: !

Edited by Reanbell

Posted (edited)

1080p? http://pastebin.com/taCfYmFP use these settings, my friend does & swears by them, i think its acutally only a a few small changes from stock. Should be good FPS with effects on, Except hidel & world bosses at times.
Alot of the stutter is server side issues, not client/cpu/gpu....

yeah forgot to mention 1440p

ty 

Edited by metaxa1331

Posted

i have the SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB in my new rig, but only installed + launched bdo on it once since i dont have a graphics card yet, i cant compare it to other ssd since on my current pc its installed on a hdd, but the loading time for starting it up was sweet.

Tthe samsung evo disks have a "rapid" mode somewhere in the settings you might have to activate first if it isn't by default. This mode will use/optimize some of your ram for much faster reading/writing (or so they claim atleast, benchmarks seem to get very varying results), but you'll want to have atleast 16gb ram if not more to really make use of this.

Posted

Ty v!

Running on Raided 600p m.2 256GB at work and the loading speeds when channel/character swapping are flawless. 

However, I have way better output at home but using Raided P3700 data center grade SSD (perks of the job). But that is to be expected

Below is the spec sheet speeds of the P3700 (price is around $1/GB so ridiculously expensive)

Untitled.thumb.png.e5b37c06a121da85f0f80

The 600p are slower than the 960 so I can assure you that the Samsung will be a good choice. 

Below you can see 600p performance tested just now. Chrome, skype and e-mail was working at the time of the test 

600p.thumb.png.4d5eac1b7bd2e0ae098bbf88f

Posted

It'll depend on the kind of m.2 you're using, but if you've a mobo that supports a PCIE m.2 directly on the board, it'll be a noticeable improvement.

I've noticed far less pop in, and far less of the black-body NPC thing where they take time to load. I rarely ever see that anymore. Went from an SSD to a PCIE m.2, one of the 256GB Intel 600p Series ones. Now that the price of them is falling they're certainly worth it.

Posted

I've noticed zero difference. The servers can't keep up with your position ingame so regardless of how fast you're pulling textures the network response itself bottlenecks it.

Posted

Ty v!

Okay you need to be careful here.

First of all you need to run it via a PCIe slot.  The reason for this is you will get better speeds and better cooling.  If you run it off the board you run into thermal throttle.  

There are adapters for this.  The ASUS one is very good.

Also you might not notice a difference over say a samsung 940 Evo, I have had both.  My system is very high end and there is literally no difference in FPS.  And my NVME drive actually died on me.  Which ended up causing horrible frame drops, like 110+FPS to 10 FPS then back to 110+.  Due to the drive not loading textures, geo fast enough.

You also need to be aware of XMP profiles.  Those often have an effect on your drives performance.  Look it up.  It's defiantly not plug and play if you dont know what you are doing.

Now I said you might not notice a difference.  But areas where you will notice a difference would be on a horse when you are sprinting through the world very fast.  It may increase those load speeds as theres so much happening.  And it may help at world events where there are lots of players and player textures.  Assuming you dont get bottle necked by your CPU.  Which is rare for me.

Lastly if you are playing on 4K this may also improve performance.

My opinion?  Do it, you are future proofing, especially if its a new build.

I've noticed zero difference. The servers can't keep up with your position ingame so regardless of how fast you're pulling textures the network response itself bottlenecks it.

Textures dont load from the server.... nor does the geo.

I have never been bottleneck by network.  Lag sure, desync sure.  But actual fps drops due to server?  No.

Posted

Textures dont load from the server.... nor does the geo.

I have never been bottleneck by network.  Lag sure, desync sure.  But actual fps drops due to server?  No.

I think you misunderstood or I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that textures are downloading from the server as you move around the world. I meant that the game (server or client) simply doesn't respond quickly enough.

My ssd read/write speeds are nowhere near maxing out when I gallop around the world yet there's massive pop in. My cpu/gpu don't max out either yet fps spikes are happening (worse on crowded servers so I'm not sure how fps is affected by server response times)

Fortunately SSDs are the cheapest most effective upgrade you can make for your whole computer so it'll always be a good idea anyway. Just don't do it solely for BDO.

Posted (edited)

Should menchion 1440p - 980ti Better loading times Large unquestionable difference, As for Performance/FPS - 1080 has a higher lowest FPS figure on 1440p/graphics are all about the same. Also 2x1080 SLI on the HB brdige doesnt fix the loading difference. < -- This is limited to BDO, other games hard to tell the difference Except dx12 games 1080 out performs just.These are the 2 cards i compared: (x99 5930k run both GPU's, x99 5960 only has the 980ti results, if i didnt beak my cpu pins i'll test the 1080 at a later date on it)

https://www.asus.com/nz/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/
http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080G1-GAMING-8GD#kf

I find that hard to believe with the faster clock speed and memory along with nearly double the memory.  There is not logical reason it wouldnt load faster.  980ti has more compute on CUDA but BDO isn't using that to begin with.

Also the 1080 has much higher texture read.

Sounds to me like you were lagging.  Because thats a tell tale sign your connection or the server lagged.  Not a card issue.  The being stuck trying to get on a horse or trying to sprint and nothing happening thats server issues not GPU issue.  Also stuff not loading may be a drive issue.

Edited by Lemonz

Posted

I find that hard to believe with the faster clock speed and memory along with nearly double the memory.  There is not logical reason it wouldnt load faster.  980ti has more compute on CUDA but BDO isn't using that to begin with.
Also the 1080 has much higher texture read.

Sounds to me like you were lagging.  Because thats a tell tale sign your connection or the server lagged.  Not a card issue.  The being stuck trying to get on a horse or trying to sprint and nothing happening thats server issues not GPU issue.  Also stuff not loading may be a drive issue.

All i can say it Try it yourself then come back & tell me i'm right, this was not a test log in log out btw this was months on playing then switching, with drivers kept up to date,

Posted (edited)

Thx again guys 

I have a 6850k @ 4.3ghz, a 780 Ti @ 1080mhz, 32GB @ 3200mhz/15cas on an Asrock Taichi and I get capped 60fps basically everywhere. Heidel warehouse will hit 35-40ish and really big siege battles/world bosses will hit 30-35 if I have other player effects turned on. However it stays pretty consistent and playable, no locking up or stuttering. 

Edited by Kutsuu

Posted (edited)

All i can say it Try it yourself then come back & tell me i'm right, this was not a test log in log out btw this was months on playing then switching, with drivers kept up to date,

Will do I have my pc going in for some upgrades sometime this month.

ROG Maximus IX Extreme
7700k at 5.2 ghz on liquid
32 gig at 4133
1080ti on liquid

960 NVME on liquid Raid 0

What you are describing is lag.  Not hardware thats all im saying.  Right now with my current system I am at 86 stable FPS with everything cranked, high end mode on.  In town im at 40-45 fps.  This is with a 980ti.  I am willing to bet that FPS number is going to go up not down when I do this hardware swap.

I have experienced HDD issues, just this weekend infact.  And what you get with those issues is FPS DROPS, not actual lag where you cant move.  Thats not hardware related thats server/network related.  The reason is because the HDD wasn't streaming characters and geometry coming into render range.  This is from actual experience.  What you described is things ive had happen when I was actually lagging.

CPU and HDD are going to affect load times much more than a GPU.  Also possible that the 1080 in question is faulty.  Not only is the memory and clocks faster on all fronts there is more memory.  There is something else going on.  

I will see for myself soon.  Oh also currently at bosses like nouver I still maintain 55-65 fps with everything cranked.  Those are the areas that the extra GPU memory and clocks matter, same with SSD/NVME.  Yes at a certain point the Network could bottle neck me.  But I haven't experienced that really yet.  I am also running a 1 gig fiber line up and down.  Steady 25ms to the server as well.

Last bit up to date drivers does not always mean they are better.

Edited by Lemonz

Posted

Ty v!

I have been using a 950pro since my rebuild last year and it's fantastic with BDO. I only realised how bad the game runs on a mechanical one when using my laptop and seeing shit pop in or players and npcs just completely missing from the game world. Get one and don't look back.

Posted

Non-SATA SSDs are useless for gaming - yes that includes BDO and the "pop-in" which is a software thing (basically they designed the game in such a way that they could have great graphics and massive PVP with a lot of flashy effects in a gigantic open world with no loading screens - that means compromises). I'm not saying it's impossible for hardware to make it worse but then you probably have serious FPS issues when you reach that point.

Even running around at full speed the I/O load is very very low, nothing a SATA SSD can't handle. That is with 16GB of RAM though, with less it's possible that the game has more data to load but then upgrade your RAM before getting a NVME drive and wasting money.

If you need the storage performance for other things though (VMs, video editing etc.) go ahead, the performance is definitely there. But games are limited by other things than storage speed now that we have moved on from HDDs. Save the money for a GPU/CPU upgrade instead.

Posted

I have one, installed and configured properly, and the biggest difference I have noticed is almost instant loads when switching between characters.

as far as game performance I have no idea, as I would not be able to discern between performance improvements due to the SSD or due to other improved computer specs/parts.

Posted

Ty v!

I just installed this SSD and it actually has slower read / write speeds than the Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD by a large margin.

The difference is the IOPS which is the access times / latency that is about 2x as fast on the m.2

So far I honestly can't notice a difference having run BDO on both.