• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Calpheon is based on an Italian City named Assisi

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As a concept artist I always like to pry and look at what other concept artists used as reference/inspiration when designing worlds. 50% of a concept artist's job is to do the research before putting pen on paper, and usually catching wind of what a concept artist used as reference is almost considered as being caught red-handed. But personally I just find this interesting and informative of other people's artistic process.

most of Assisi was used as architectural reference, because calpheon sports a more forest environment compared to Assisi's southern Italy environment.

Here's some photos:

Thought some of you may find this a bit of a stretch/not close enough I personally see a lot of visual design elements that were taken from Assisi and mixed with other southern/Mediterranean cities of Europe. If you look at the courtyard there are a ton of similarities. 

220px-Assisi_Piazza_del_Comune_BW_1.JPGImage result for city plan of assisiAssisigoldensun.jpg

1cdf9_large_75110823.jpg

assisi.jpg

RTEmagicC_Assisi-Basilica-San-Francesco-(<looks exactly like calpheon marketplace)
007-Assisi-gardens.jpg
klooster-van-st-francesco-basilica-assis

Edited by Xaqq
26 people like this

Posted

You don't say?

It's quite evident that game developper use real life to make their games. Most people had determined it to be italian. Good job narrowing it to one city tho.

Posted

You don't say?

It's quite evident that game developper use real life to make their games. Most people had determined it to be italian. Good job narrowing it to one city tho.

well ye, i say that because most uninformed people assume concept artists just draw something out of thin air. We do a shitton of research and referencing things we see in real life and we combine and take aspects from here and there to come up with something "new". It's really jsut a remix process, the rest comes down to your drawing and painting skills.

2 people like this

Posted

You don't say?

Italy no, I'm pretty sure Heidel is Heidelberg Germany

Posted

Italy no, I'm pretty sure Heidel is Heidelberg Germany

I think he meant calpheon specifically.

Posted

If I remember correctly tis in south west of france.

Beynac-et-Cazenac apparently!

1 person likes this

Posted

Beynac-et-Cazenac apparently!

Got close then, technically tis in the Massif Central (a chain of mountain) localized in mid south of France, Dordogne (the department of france which contain Beynac-et-Cazenac) is the south west part of Massif Central.

1 person likes this

Posted

Here's road sulfur works:

Posted

I've spent 4 days in Assisi.  Makes sense.

Posted

RTEmagicC_Assisi-Basilica-San-Francesco-

lol i had to double take to realize this was real life and not the game 

2 people like this

Posted

Valencia city is obviously drawn from a mixture of middle eastern sources, some visual aspects of it reminds me of old Demascus. There also some small touches of North African and Persian as well. 

Posted

Calipheon - Roman Empire

Selendia - Galia

Barenos - the Levant

Media - Egypt

Valencia - Sassanid Persia

Posted

As a concept artist I always like to pry and look at what other concept artists used as reference/inspiration when designing worlds. 50% of a concept artist's job is to do the research before putting pen on paper, and usually catching wind of what a concept artist used as reference is almost considered as being caught red-handed. But personally I just find this interesting and informative of other people's artistic process.

most of Assisi was used as architectural reference, because calpheon sports a more forest environment compared to Assisi's southern Italy environment.

Here's some photos:

Hidden Content

Very nice post! I'm Italian, and though I've never been in Assisi, I've been in Firenze (Florence) and so I thought Calpheon could be inspired from it instead. But I guess their architecture is very similar. Those are very common traits to be found in buildings from the Renaissance era. 

Overall I see a very lovely amount of things inspired to my country, like the fact that the farmers all have Italian names too. It's not something you see often in videogames, especially from the East.

Posted

Always felt there was a Roman feel to it. But no one ever speaks Latin. And its weird that Valencia, was the name given to the Middle Easterners in this game. Unless its a reference to Muslim Spain.

Posted

Always felt there was a Roman feel to it. But no one ever speaks Latin. And its weird that Valencia, was the name given to the Middle Easterners in this game. Unless its a reference to Muslim Spain.

well the architecture is 100% Mediterranean/Italian. Ancient Roman architecture is nothing like what you see in calpheon, ancient roman takes from Ancient Greece in terms of architecure with the big pillars and such.

Calipheon - Roman Empire

Selendia - Galia

Barenos - the Levant

Media - Egypt

calpheon is absolutely not Roman in any way except maybe character personalities at best. Architecture is all high Renaissance Italian. Read above post.

Posted

Got close then, technically tis in the Massif Central (a chain of mountain) localized in mid south of France, Dordogne (the department of france which contain Beynac-et-Cazenac) is the south west part of Massif Central.

la Dordogne dans le massif central? et Paris c'est le nord de la région PACA? technically.

Posted

Is it pronounced Ass-easy? Gonna remember that city name for my next civ game :)

Posted

Hey, OP!  Thanks for the really interesting post and all of the follow up contributions.  I quite enjoyed this one!  ;) 

Posted

but we have no lag here^^

Posted

cool post, thanks for sharing!

Posted

Media - Egypt

But the  Desert  Fogans with their magical pyramids are in Valencia!

Posted

Valencia not based in Valencia. /sad :(