• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Calpheon is based on an Italian City named Assisi

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Nobody mentionned Carcassonne nor Rocamadour, where Durandal is supposed to be ? Really ?

Really sad since it's some of the most prominent references when it comes to medieval and / or fortified cities. Not even mentioning Arles or Avignon or numerous other cities or villages.

Sorry picture heavy response.

Carcassonne

Carcassonne-montagne_large.jpgcarcassonne.jpgcarcassonne.jpg4600362895.jpg

Rocamadour

01_rocamadour_-_lot_tourisme_-_crt_midi-rocamadour_esplanade_du_sanctuaire.jpg?icite_de_rocamadour_-_lot_tourisme_-_crt_

Durandal in Rocamadour

800px-Rocam_durandal_082005.jpg

Oh and and by the way, a lot of  cities with strong medieval heritage also have Roman elements.

Most of them were established and built by the romans first, and still organised according to a Cadro Maximus / Decumanus Maximus road network model.

Otherwise @Xaqq is right, very right about the necessary preliminary work involved to produce good designs.

A lot of a good concept artist worktime is spent doing researches. It's very obvious when it comes to armor or weapon designs in games (like this one for example, where the best and the worst can meet).

Most of the artist never ever took a sword in their hands, watched an armor closely or just simply asked themselves if what they were drawing could even work. That usually leads to shitty designs. but as they are made for players as much if not more uneducated than them, everything is fine.

Edited by Capitaine Courage

Posted

But the  Desert  Fogans with their magical pyramids are in Valencia!

Ok maybe Mediah is Carthage and since the Sassanid Persia didi own Egypt it's not really incorrect. 

Posted (edited)

Ok maybe Mediah is Carthage and since the Sassanid Persia didi own Egypt it's not really incorrect. 

Pyramids were outta fashion by then! and their stones largely quarried away to be used in other structures.

Fogans have dem pristine Pyramids that are all shiny!  Very ancient Egyptian style, well before they weakened.

(seems like there is about a 2 millennia separation, holy smokes)

Edited by Luciferia

Posted

la Dordogne dans le massif central? et Paris c'est le nord de la région PACA? technically.

Technically is the westernmost part of the Massif Central, I'm not making the map.

Posted

how awesome is calph and what garbage is mediah and valencia... dissapointed in how new zones were made.

Posted

how awesome is calph and what garbage is mediah and valencia... dissapointed in how new zones were made.

I find Calpheon to be bad tho...

Posted

Beynac-et-Cazenac apparently!

So after seeing the real pictures of this place I want to go there and fish all day.

Posted

neat! Although i think the heidel city is a closer match. calph kind of looks like the combination of multiple cities. 

Posted

So after seeing the real pictures of this place I want to go there and fish all day.

Tis a mountainous region, not really a lot of fish there.... Well, I guess tis the same as ingame one tho :P

Posted

Interesting! Thanks for the insight.
I think i need to lay off BDO for awhile as i could not determine if those pics were real life or in game. LOL

1 person likes this

Posted

Technically is the westernmost part of the Massif Central, I'm not making the map.

technically it's not. too bad you don't seem to have internet to check. technically. Aquitaine, ring a bell?

Posted

technically it's not. too bad you don't seem to have internet to check. technically. Aquitaine, ring a bell?

Nouvelle-Aquitaine, it got changed in 2015, remember?

Posted

Nouvelle-Aquitaine, it got changed in 2015, remember?

oh you mean the larger region that still isn't in the massif central?

Posted

oh you mean the larger region that still isn't in the massif central?

I'm not talking about the region Massif Central (if that even exist), I'm talking about the chain of mountain, which does have parts in Dordogne.

Posted

I'm not talking about the region Massif Central (if that even exist), I'm talking about the chain of mountain, which does have parts in Dordogne.

still not in there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massif_Central

Posted

Can we just agree to disagree and be done with it? No amount of source you can give will convince me and not amount of proof I give will convince you after all -_-

Posted

Can we just agree to disagree and be done with it? No amount of source you can give will convince me and not amount of proof I give will convince you after all -_-

there is nothing to be convinced of, it's basical geography, there are freaking maps, and also people who live there and know where they live, and breaking news, it's not in the "mountain" or you are mistaken hills for mountains.

but you were being "technical".

Posted

there is nothing to be convinced of, it's basical geography, there are freaking maps, and also people who live there and know where they live, and breaking news, it's not in the "mountain" or you are mistaken hills for mountains.

but you were being "technical".

eh.. the topic of what is a mountain is controversial as it is even today, (no amount of consensus make people think their mountain is a hill)

Posted

ok, it's in the Himalaya then. GG. you won the internet.

Posted

Technically, make a full and lively city from zero in the game is not easy task for developers.

So they will check some nice cities on the world. Europe has many old centres in cities.
After checking some cities, they can choose which style they can use in the game.

And of course, they can make part of city identical and use it in the game. This makes design city more easier because textures are easy to design, just 'copy' from real buildings. This reduces build time more.

Remember, BDO is not full fantasy game, due high realism grade and normal people. It's also based on (old) real world parts for style. If you compare it with Wild Star or WoW, they're not based on real world and are designed from zero. Because both games are full fantasy and have nothing with real life.

Games with high realism grade will always use some examples from real world. Otherwise we won't feel "nice" in the game and explore fun will be low.

Don't forget BDO world is completely designed. There are almost no copied places. Identical hometowns are not found in BDO. You will understand why BDO installation is very big due everything is unique designed. What is more, there are no identical landscapes.
It's clear developers want make the game also 'fun to explore around' and discover every spot in the world.

Games with big world but smaller installation will have some identical towns or very reduced detail on landscapes. Or instanced areas like in Blade&Soul and Skyforge make the game more smaller.

Posted (edited)

Oh and and by the way, a lot of  cities with strong medieval heritage also have Roman elements.

Most of them were established and built by the romans first, and still organised according to a Cadro Maximus / Decumanus Maximus road network model.

Otherwise @Xaqq is right, very right about the necessary preliminary work involved to produce good designs.

A lot of a good concept artist worktime is spent doing researches. It's very obvious when it comes to armor or weapon designs in games (like this one for example, where the best and the worst can meet).

Most of the artist never ever took a sword in their hands, watched an armor closely or just simply asked themselves if what they were drawing could even work. That usually leads to shitty designs. but as they are made for players as much if not more uneducated than them, everything is fine.

There are 2 houses of concept artists people usually split up into. One is concept Designer, and the other is Visual developer.

well this statement is still relatively debatable. For a game like BDO, research is required since it is a game stooped in a certain level of realism. But in the end good design can be dictated in terms of purely stylistic and aesthetic values, or pure practicality/plausibility values. This in the end comes down to what kind of game or movie you are making. (it all depends on whether it is realistic, cartoony, or stylized. Genre is a huge deciding factor) 

here's an in depth break down if you're interested:

There are basically 2 types of concept artist: Concept Designer and the Visual Development Artist

Normally a Concept designer works mostly with hard surface designs and strictly concentrates on mechanical design aspects, hence they land jobs mostly for games and movies such as Mass Effect, TitanFall, COD, etc. (anything with scifi, mech, mechanical designs, hence why most concept designers are ex-industrial designers). They're mainly used for prop designing and costume designing of individual parts and pieces.

The other category of concept artists, Visual Development artists, hail more towards the art, color, and mood side which concentrate on story and atmosphere of the world. They mostly work for companies like Blizzard (overwatch) and Disney/Pixar (people often erroneously call them "animation artists" which is wrong, animation artists just animate, they barely ever dictate story, color, or design, they dont draw. their main job is to purely just animate, the true creatives at disney are the Visual Development artists who often dont get the credit even though they're the ones who dictate what the characters and environments look like). These guys basically look at the whole picture versus the tiny bits and props that have to be picked out and designed.

And Finally the last category of concept designers are what I call the in between-ers that do both. These are the masters who've transcended both and now work for Marvel Studios (the guys who make Avengers movies) and Industrial Light and Magic @LucasFilm (Star Wars team).

Edited by Xaqq