• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

B2P and cash shop pricing

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Many people invest in B2P games because the development is better, the cash shop more reasonable, and the game healthier than F2P alternatives.

The current cash shop pricing follows an F2P model and has prices almost identical to KR. This is the exact opposite of what I was expecting when I invested in the conqueror's prepurchase and is quite a let down.

If we look at GW2 and ESO outfit pricing:

ESO: 700 crowns for an outfit (about £5)

GW2: 800 gems for an outfit, 400~800 gems for a weapon (£8.50 + £4.25~8.50)

BDO: 3,200 pearls (£32)

On top of this, costumes for ESO and GW2 are account wide unlocks available on all characters regardless of class

Dyes:

ESO: free, obtained in game via achievements (account wide, free to apply and change at will at a dye station)

GW2: Free obtained in game via drops/crafting or 150~400 (£1.75~ £4.25) gems for a bundle of chance items (account wide, perm unlocks free to apply and change at any time out of combat)

BDO: 50 (£0.50) pearls for one specific colour chance box (single use dyes, no unlocked access)

Skill reset pricing:

ESO: Variable in game currency price or 700 crowns (£5), also free after any major skill balance patch 

GW2: Free at any time out of combat

BDO: 900 pearls (£9)

These are just a few examples. I could go through the entire cash shop and compare everything, but the short version is: BDO's cash shop pricing right now is for an F2P title, not a B2P one I sincerely hope this will change as the quality and pricing of the cash shop can make or break the game for a player such as myself who enjoys spending a lot on vanity (if the price is right).

Take a lesson from other B2P titles, analyse their pricing strategies and adjust your prices accordingly. Do not go the F2P route of catering to the high end spenders alone

Edited by Rapthorne
15 people like this

Posted

Yup. They better listen to the community on this one.... Practically theft.

Posted

Game is a failure. Refund. GG

Posted

Game is a failure. Refund. GG

I wouldn't go that far. Daum have been pretty good at listening to us, so hopefully they will continue to do so.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't go that far. Daum have been pretty good at listening to us, so hopefully they will continue to do so.

They way everyone is reacting says otherwise. 

Posted

I agree, they are not stupid. they know what is best for them and the smart choice.

Posted (edited)

The "funny" thing, to me, is that I was willing to pay tons of money, but now won't.

I set myself a starting budget at around 1000€ for BDO alone and I still could get everything I'd want with that money from the cash shop, but I just cannot support this, for a BUY2PLAY-Game, unfair and impudent pricing for some of the things, even though I could technically afford it.

Hopefully other will have the same mindset; I also won't use the pearls from the Conq Pack.

Often I defended Daum EU's decision and thought of the decisions as logically understandable, but these prices, to me, can only be understood as Daum wanting to suck as much money out of the community as possible, in as little time as possible; like as if they think the game won't hold for long anyways.

I REALLY hope they put the pricing into this CBT2, because they are willing to change said pricing for the release and are not planning on actually keeping these prices.

Edited by Unholy

Posted (edited)

Those points would be sound if both GW2 and ESO did not have other avenues to get money from their consumers via expansions, optional sub fees and currency exchange system.  So of course their cash shop can be cheaper, when the other options are available.  If all those extra systems are needed to sustain a B2P MMO, then BD is releasing on a non-sustainable model from the get go since it only offers the cash shop and box fee.

It's going to need to be very popular for months to keep up.

Edited by JerryBoyle

Posted

can u reset skill points in game for in game money?

Or we are back in 2001 where u have to reroll class once u learn what build u want..

Posted

According to the CBT2 patchnotes you will get a full skill-reset at level 45, which, though, has to be used within some time, because the item itself won't stay forever.

Posted

Agreed on the pricing being too high for several items. 

I could buy clothes in real with that kind of price. Try to fix this Daum and take the feedback of the community during this CBT2 seriously, because otherwise this game will be short-lived.

If you can sell MORE items with a lower price, you should honestly go for that, mass producing has always been more profitable.

If you sell 1 million costumes at even 10 euros each, that's 10m euros. Instead of selling 100k costumes at 20 dollars, which is 2m euros, or even if at 30 euros, that's 3m euros. Considering a lot of people won't even bother buying several because of the high prices. You're basically catering to the 1% of the community that might spend thousands of dollars just because. You should instead be catering to the at least 50% of the community who will probably spend a few dozen or even hundreds of dollars on cash shop vanity items.

Sincerely yours
A loyal costumer
Signed /Auri

3 people like this

Posted

Many people invest in B2P games because the development is better, the cash shop more reasonable, and the game healthier than F2P alternatives.

The current cash shop pricing follows an F2P model and has prices almost identical to KR. This is the exact opposite of what I was expecting when I invested in the conqueror's prepurchase and is quite a let down.

On top of this, costumes for ESO and GW2 are account wide unlocks available on all characters regardless of class

Dyes:

ESO: free, obtained in game via achievements (account wide, free to apply and change at will at a dye station)

GW2: Free obtained in game via drops/crafting or 150~400 (£1.75~ £4.25) gems for a bundle of chance items (account wide, perm unlocks free to apply and change at any time out of combat)

BDO: 50 (£0.50) pearls for one specific colour chance box (single use dyes, no unlocked access)

Skill reset pricing:

ESO: Variable in game currency price or 700 crowns (£5), also free after any major skill balance patch 

These are just a few examples. I could go through the entire cash shop and compare everything, but the short version is: BDO's cash shop pricing right now is for an F2P title, not a B2P one I sincerely hope this will change as the quality and pricing of the cash shop can make or break the game for a player such as myself who enjoys spending a lot on vanity (if the price is right).

Take a lesson from other B2P titles, analyse their pricing strategies and adjust your prices accordingly. Do not go the F2P route of catering to the high end spenders alone

I agree with most of the points. I really think that dyes should be account wide, skill resets SHOULD be buy-able for in game currency and with those prices for costumes they should be account-wide at least..

2 people like this

Posted

Dyes:

Skill reset pricing:

indeed.. this is overpriced bullshit..

Posted

short version is: BDO's cash shop pricing right now is for an F2P title, not a B2P one

My thoughts too... im happy now the energy system change has already turned me off this version of the game. Because you are totally right, that is F2P pricing (high end at that)... i suspect they have no plans on staying B2P for long or at least they know they wont be able to financially.

The not selling cash shop items on AH wont last long... with that pricing they NEED the people who like to buy advancement faster.

£32 per character bound costume set... what a joke. Really glad i didn't rush in on this one... guess i should thank the DAUM EU team for revealing the energy system change very early.

1 person likes this

Posted

My thoughts too... im happy now the energy system change has already turned me off this version of the game. Because you are totally right, that is F2P pricing (high end at that)... i suspect they have no plans on staying B2P for long or at least they know they wont be able to financially.

The not selling cash shop items on AH wont last long... with that pricing they NEED the people who like to buy advancement faster.

£32 per character bound costume set... what a joke. Really glad i didn't rush in on this one... guess i should thank the DAUM EU team for revealing the energy system change very early.

This x100. Lets see if they even dare to comment on this issue :S

Posted

Agreed on the pricing being too high for several items. 

I could buy clothes in real with that kind of price. Try to fix this Daum and take the feedback of the community during this CBT2 seriously, because otherwise this game will be short-lived.

If you can sell MORE items with a lower price, you should honestly go for that, mass producing has always been more profitable.

If you sell 1 million costumes at even 10 euros each, that's 10m euros. Instead of selling 100k costumes at 20 dollars, which is 2m euros, or even if at 30 euros, that's 3m euros. Considering a lot of people won't even bother buying several because of the high prices. You're basically catering to the 1% of the community that might spend thousands of dollars just because. You should instead be catering to the at least 50% of the community who will probably spend a few dozen or even hundreds of dollars on cash shop vanity items.

Sincerely yours
A loyal costumer
Signed /Auri

This is how i see it aswell!

Posted

I would never buy anything unless it is account wide for each character ( where applicable ).

Posted

Those points would be sound if both GW2 and ESO did not have other avenues to get money from their consumers via expansions, optional sub fees and currency exchange system.  So of course their cash shop can be cheaper, when the other options are available.  If all those extra systems are needed to sustain a B2P MMO, then BD is releasing on a non-sustainable model from the get go since it only offers the cash shop and box fee.

It's going to need to be very popular for months to keep up.

Whales will be whales no matter what, but overpricing your product ensures that less people are buying. You're missing out on potential revenue. They ought to take a cue from retailers and sell at a loss—even though, technically, they're not since those cash shop items paid for themselves in Korea—to grow their customer base and inspire customer loyalty. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Dyes:

Skill reset pricing:

what the F thoses price.

Well, they can be perfectly sure that i wont give them any additionnal money.

9£ for skill reset ? AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA. just go F off.

thanks, but no thanks, they can keep their cash shop item.

Are they crazy ?

Posted

I agree, they are not stupid. they know what is best for them and the smart choice.

I agree, they are not stupid. Which is why I'm left puzzled why they thought that we would be even remotely ok with the prices that they have shown us.

Honestly I feel like they are pushing their luck to see just how much they can get away with it, lowering the prices bit by bit until they have reached a point where enough paying members of the game can net them an absurd amount of money quickly.

That type of marketing tactic is for F2P MMOs, and last time I checked Daum was well aware that their version of BDO was B2P.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm very glad I didn't buy BDO. Something about the whole 'buy to play' only in NA/EU just doesn't sit right with me.

The feeling I'm getting is that they've only introduced B2P to the western market because they know they can get away with it. No other region in the world would tolerate it, but western players are renowned for having more money than sense. So they'll milk them for every penny they can, while they can.

Honestly I think the game will go F2P in 12 months or so (which is what I think they've always intended from the start). I was hoping I'd be proven wrong, but I've been getting very bad vibes for some time now.

Posted

Yup. They better listen to the community on this one.... Practically theft.

This sir is practically bullshit.

Posted

Dyes:

Skill reset pricing:

Black desert isn't even backed up by a strong franchise like Elder scrolls or Guild Wars

It's not yet a strong brand in the west to demand these prices

This si ridiculous

Posted (edited)

I agree, they are not stupid. Which is why I'm left puzzled why they thought that we would be even remotely ok with the prices that they have shown us.

Honestly I feel like they are pushing their luck to see just how much they can get away with it, lowering the prices bit by bit until they have reached a point where enough paying members of the game can net them an absurd amount of money quickly.

That type of marketing tactic is for F2P MMOs, and last time I checked Daum was well aware that their version of BDO was B2P.

exactly this imo they put it super high then reduce it by like 5-10%(still wont be acceptable needs like 50%), then make a big post where jouska or one of the other admin guys goes "look we listened to your feedback! it's so reasonable now *shush gais stop giggling or they'll know* 

Edited by Khazard

Posted

I agree, pricing is borderline theft for a B2P, certainly ridiculous.

b.b.b..b.b.b.b...bbbbb.b.b..b.b.but this is a beta test. I assume prices will change. They need too.