• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Wizard or Witch

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

Just after some quick advice, I want to switch to Wizard or Witch for my main.  I have a 56 Wiz and 57 Witch, I understand the differences between both and the block (witch) vs grab (wiz) differences.  For PvP at higher levels 59/60/61 is Wiz better than Witch?  Does Wiz burst faster/harder than witch? Does it come to the grab?  Or is there not much difference between the two?

Thanks in advance

Posted (edited)

The biggest differences IMO are:

1. Wizard's 100% is stronger than Witch's 100%. It's protected and it does more damage. I think Witch can hit a slightly larger area, but the damage is noticeably less. On the subject of the 100%, Wizard feels very comfortable played with just Aqua Sphere/Bomb, Hellfire, Cataclysm, and Aqua Jail - it's easy to hold back Bollide for just the right moment. Fissure Wave feels central to DPS for a Witch since there's such a long cooldown on Thunder Storm, and it's easy to feel restricted when you want to use Fissure Wave but not the 100%. 
  2. Witch has more skills with down attack damage, such as EQ break VS Aqua Jail, and IMO they can do more damage in a shorter time in some situations. However that leads into the next point.
  3. Witch doesn't have much combo potential other than landing a bound into a single down attack. You can freeze and try to land a CC after freezing, but generally your best case scenario is a Stun > Bound/Float > down attack. Wizard has options to down smash after a bound (aqua bomb), then grab or wait to grab until a freeze. 
  4. Wizard has a protected "entry" into the main fray while keeping their Teleport off cooldown by using Hellfire into the fight, then rotating their super armors (Aqua Jail, Cataclysm, Bollide), and teleporting back out. Witch either needs to teleport or walk into a fight and this leaves them vulnerable waiting on teleport cooldown once their super armors are casted, or vulnerable walking into the fight. 
  5. Witch block could be considered an advantage, but Wizard can simply spam swap between mainhand and awakened to keep a block going at range. The biggest advantage Witch's block gives is the resist buff which is ok. 
  6. Wizard's ranged poke, Aqua Sphere, is also more dangerous IMO than Witch's ranged poke Detonative Flow. Aqua Sphere > Aqua Sphere > Aqua Bomb (to give enough time for bomb to hit with down attack bonus) can chunk someone 60-70% of their health bar, while Detonative Flow has to be followed up with a down attack when you just floated them back even further away from you. Sometimes you're lucky enough that you can land a Fissure Wave after Detonative Flow, but I don't find that typical at long range. 

Other than those there are small things such as Aqua Jail vs EQ break - EQ break is only a frontal guard, while Aqua Jail is a super armor, I feel this is advantageous to the Wizard in situations that you would use these skills, that being enemies in very close proximity. Hellfire has a frontal guard but since it's a ranged gap closer, that makes it a pretty good application of frontal guard. EQ break in close range is just asking to get flanked and CC'd if they super armor the stiff/bound. 

There's also the fact that one of Witch's biggest baddest damaging skills, Fissure Wave, does not have a frontal guard or super armor, so you gotta be real careful when and how you use it.

Overall I prefer Wizard for PVP. It's not a HUGE advantage, but a few small ones that stack up. For reference, I have a 57 witch who is currently my fishing alt, and a 58 Wizard that I play as my main grinder while I gather gear for my Kunoichi that I plan to main. 

edit: one more thing - you gotta get 60 on either of them. Cataclysm/Voltaic are very important to both classes and become extremely strong at 60. Even below that you'll use them constantly in PVP for the CC and super armor, but they become a serious damage threat at 60. 

Edited by Kutsuu
11 people like this

Posted

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail.  This has really helped me to make a decision and I have gone with Wizard over my Witch.  I've been duelling some guildies tonight ironically 2 Wizards!!  The Wizard 100% is indeed much stronger than the witch's, I also used to notice clipping problems on the Witch 100% if you fired it off on uneven terrain, often ending in a miss.  I do think the witch "flows" slightly better between skills, Aqua Sphere I do think is stronger for engaging at range, it does do more damage than Detonative Flow and set's up nicely for some follow on attacks.

I did fight a warrior as well and the grab IF it lands is really good against turtling warriors, having super armor on Aqua Jail I found really useful for avoiding follow on CC's.  Once again, thanks for taking the time to write this up, hopefully it helps others in making the same decision.

Posted

The biggest differences IMO are:

1. Wizard's 100% is stronger than Witch's 100%. It's protected and it does more damage. I think Witch can hit a slightly larger area, but the damage is noticeably less. On the subject of the 100%, Wizard feels very comfortable played with just Aqua Sphere/Bomb, Hellfire, Cataclysm, and Aqua Jail - it's easy to hold back Bollide for just the right moment. Fissure Wave feels central to DPS for a Witch since there's such a long cooldown on Thunder Storm, and it's easy to feel restricted when you want to use Fissure Wave but not the 100%. 
  2. Witch has more skills with down attack damage, such as EQ break VS Aqua Jail, and IMO they can do more damage in a shorter time in some situations. However that leads into the next point.
  3. Witch doesn't have much combo potential other than landing a bound into a single down attack. You can freeze and try to land a CC after freezing, but generally your best case scenario is a Stun > Bound/Float > down attack. Wizard has options to down smash after a bound (aqua bomb), then grab or wait to grab until a freeze. 
  4. Wizard has a protected "entry" into the main fray while keeping their Teleport off cooldown by using Hellfire into the fight, then rotating their super armors (Aqua Jail, Cataclysm, Bollide), and teleporting back out. Witch either needs to teleport or walk into a fight and this leaves them vulnerable waiting on teleport cooldown once their super armors are casted, or vulnerable walking into the fight. 
  5. Witch block could be considered an advantage, but Wizard can simply spam swap between mainhand and awakened to keep a block going at range. The biggest advantage Witch's block gives is the resist buff which is ok. 
  6. Wizard's ranged poke, Aqua Sphere, is also more dangerous IMO than Witch's ranged poke Detonative Flow. Aqua Sphere > Aqua Sphere > Aqua Bomb (to give enough time for bomb to hit with down attack bonus) can chunk someone 60-70% of their health bar, while Detonative Flow has to be followed up with a down attack when you just floated them back even further away from you. Sometimes you're lucky enough that you can land a Fissure Wave after Detonative Flow, but I don't find that typical at long range. 

Other than those there are small things such as Aqua Jail vs EQ break - EQ break is only a frontal guard, while Aqua Jail is a super armor, I feel this is advantageous to the Wizard in situations that you would use these skills, that being enemies in very close proximity. Hellfire has a frontal guard but since it's a ranged gap closer, that makes it a pretty good application of frontal guard. EQ break in close range is just asking to get flanked and CC'd if they super armor the stiff/bound. 

There's also the fact that one of Witch's biggest baddest damaging skills, Fissure Wave, does not have a frontal guard or super armor, so you gotta be real careful when and how you use it.

Overall I prefer Wizard for PVP. It's not a HUGE advantage, but a few small ones that stack up. For reference, I have a 57 witch who is currently my fishing alt, and a 58 Wizard that I play as my main grinder while I gather gear for my Kunoichi that I plan to main. 

edit: one more thing - you gotta get 60 on either of them. Cataclysm/Voltaic are very important to both classes and become extremely strong at 60. Even below that you'll use them constantly in PVP for the CC and super armor, but they become a serious damage threat at 60. 

spot on. I agree on all poins.

Posted

pathetic

Posted

and then u didnt end up giving him a like? a poor showing!

Posted

Nah man, he is still a filthy wizard :/.

3 people like this

Posted

Wizard.

*Faceroll keyboard* Kill 20 geared players with ult.

Witch.

*Faceroll keyboard* kill no one and die in the process.

Posted

pathetic

you -----ing what mate?

Posted

you -----ing what mate?

tekeii is just giving it to him straight

Posted

tekeii is just giving it to him straight

please tekeii is a pleblord 

Posted

Wizard is better, cuz witch got nerf!

Posted (edited)

On top of what was said already.  In scenarios where you cant CC... such as bosses and mobs that are immune.... the wizard has far superior damage.  Witch relies alot on those Air/down attacks.

When fighting elites or any strong monster where you need SA up 100% of the time and blocks the wizard is superior as well.  Their main engage is block with range and mana regen while witch leaves them standing there in a long cast animation open for mob to KD them and basically get you killed.  Witch however can block to get mana back but again.... if you are blocking you aren't doing damage.

Edited by Lemonz

Posted (edited)

to old it's useless

ooooh my old one. CHEEEERS! to bad it is also old.

edit: hmmm. It was a bit to soon to release it

Edited by Beirut
additional request

Posted

On top of what was said already.  In scenarios where you cant CC... such as bosses and mobs that are immune.... the wizard has far superior damage.  Witch relies alot on those Air/down attacks.

When fighting elites or any strong monster where you need SA up 100% of the time and blocks the wizard is superior as well.  Their main engage is block with range and mana regen while witch leaves them standing there in a long cast animation open for mob to KD them and basically get you killed.  Witch however can block to get mana back but again.... if you are blocking you aren't doing damage.

I gotta say in most cases i prefer block over SA against world bosses. SA without a ton of DP means a lot of healing yourself. I do agree that wiz is a better boss killer since their main DPS rotation is all protected other than aqua bomb which is quicker than fissure wave. 

Posted (edited)

I never personally tried Wiz but I feel comfortable with Witch I simply go for it coz its girl. As a guy I preferred looking at girls asses and boobs ..  I originally have ninja char but re-roll to witch coz I feel its boring considering its a guy haha

Edited by Rvyne