• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Why ranger is melee?

29 posts in this topic

Posted

Why ranger is melee in awk when ppl just pick him to be ranged? Maybe he need rework? Crossbow or something half-ranged like Kusari-kama?

And skills or duability weapon repairing 2x less often than other.  Ranged class use evasion but in awk we are melee with no armor or block or cc... 

Posted (edited)

It is always strange when a class' awakening is the opposite gameplay of their non-awakened version. Unfortunately at this point I can't imagine them changing any of the awakening. When you think about it all, the awakening are all range-ish except DK which hasn't awakened yet. Perhaps intended by design?

Edited by Lady Minuit

Posted

Because they wanted to make yet another melee assassin class in their game that already has half the classes falling into that category? Then took the bow and gutted the crap out of it, so you were obligated to play it in the afore mentioned melee assassin style.

Enjoy!

Posted

Devs mentioned that a second awakening will come later, which is just to make bow become just as strong as awakening, so rangers might become ranged again, or at least 50/50, who knows. Until then, we need to live with this. 

2 people like this

Posted

After picking Ranger on Day 1 of headstart because of the bow and thicc thighs, I've now played 8 months as ranged and 5 months as melee. At this rate, my playtime on a bow class will be mostly melee. :feelsbadman:

Please, PLEASE Trump Kakao, make longbow great again..... 

Posted (edited)

I feel like while ranger does become more melee focused, its still like a 40/60 split between bow/awakening. Many classes don't go back to their main hand weapon at all. If the balance could be changed to 50/50 I think that would be perfect, but it's honestly not that far away from that. 

If you never use your bow at all you are probably playing the class wrong tbh. 

Edited by Kozuka

Posted

just every other class there is a point to go back to main weapon on some situations but the thing is that the benefit is so little that most of us just stay in awaken mode. if u want to play ur class to its full potential then u will have to learn to switch on the right time.

Posted

I feel like while ranger does become more melee focused, its still like a 40/60 split between bow/awakening. Many classes don't go back to their main hand weapon at all. If the balance could be changed to 50/50 I think that would be perfect, but it's honestly not that far away from that. 

If you never use your bow at all you are probably playing the class wrong tbh. 

Never use bow and 40/60 split is so far apart from each its not even funny where are you grinding where there is 40/60 split between awak and bow? like I think the better question is what lvl are you atm? PvP at the very best is a 20/80 seeing as bow lacks any SA/block and iframes(please EES is a 16 sec CD) and you either need hard cast or use a flow to CC with blasting gust all which dont work due to it being way to slow vs any awakened class. If you think using call to sky means that its a 40/60 its not and at best your bow becomes relevant with grab when you cant combo with your awawaking skills as both wotw and shotgun do good dmg to KDed targets.

Posted

Never use bow and 40/60 split is so far apart from each its not even funny where are you grinding where there is 40/60 split between awak and bow? like I think the better question is what lvl are you atm? PvP at the very best is a 20/80 seeing as bow lacks any SA/block and iframes(please EES is a 16 sec CD) and you either need hard cast or use a flow to CC with blasting gust all which dont work due to it being way to slow vs any awakened class. If you think using call to sky means that its a 40/60 its not and at best your bow becomes relevant with grab when you cant combo with your awawaking skills as both wotw and shotgun do good dmg to KDed targets.

Camera locking with Q-Canceling to chase or kite are both still used in PvP, ranged knockdowns are still used in PvP, call from the sky is HEAVILY used in PvP. I agree with you that its very rarely used in PvE though.

Posted

ranged knockdowns are still used in PvP

What ranged knockdowns? Outside of 1v1 in arena, you aren't going to find many chances to use Pinpoint Gust. All our other bow CCs are PvE only (except EES but the EES stun has a retarded 12 second CD so ----- that).

Posted

Why ranger is melee in awk when ppl just pick him to be ranged? Maybe he need rework? Crossbow or something half-ranged like Kusari-kama?

I'm sorry.......what? LOL

Posted (edited)

Camera locking with Q-Canceling to chase or kite are both still used in PvP, ranged knockdowns are still used in PvP, call from the sky is HEAVILY used in PvP. I agree with you that its very rarely used in PvE though.

Q canceling vs what class`? You use this if you you see them running towards you and you have a good amount of distance between you and them, most classes will out speed you with almost every class having a dash of some form and most skills having either superarmor, block or and iframe some even have 2 out of the 3 mentioned effects whilst being able to close the gap.For me Q cancel is at best using to bring down someones block % so its easier to break later on and even then the dmg is not the best unless you have monster gear. Also what is the point of this reply? I did say its at best 20/80 and I did say why blasting gust is a pile of shit feel free to tell me a class your are going to be able to KD not to mention them allowing you to do it.  Also are you for real`? you chase with your DASH moving with Q cancel eats stamina and mana like no tomorrow. The only part I am gone agree on here is that you use call to sky often.

Still what I was arguing against was its being a 40/60 split and not to mention unless you are under 58 why you would swap to bow(when you farm) at all as a lvl 60 I spend all my time in awaking as the dmg is way higher just go watch any KR ranger stream most of them are 250 + ap and all they do is spam mana pot and waltz when I see them farm and they do this to a fault I might add as they dont even seem to use breezy blade but I digress.

Edited by Zeel

Posted

Why ranger is melee in awk when ppl just pick him to be ranged?

Cuz wiz/witches got the best dps, the best E buff, double teleport, skills that mitigate their dmg ( mana shield ,protected area ) ,shit tons of accuracy of every skills.THIS and much more in one class has no sense just like rangers that becames melee with awk :) 
Clearly devs dont like to make this game with some common sense so u want range? get witch

Posted (edited)

And skills or duability weapon repairing 2x less often than other.  Ranged class use evasion but in awk we are melee with no armor or block or cc... 

Because when ranger awakening came out Koreans weren't using it often as the devs wanted them to (mostly just for the shift+Q buff & dash movement) so the devs nerfed the hell out of bow and buffed sword.
Thankfully they have realized that the class deviated far from what was intended with awakening (among many others)
2nd awakening or mainhand rework is supposed to fix this

Edited by haybreee
1 person likes this

Posted

What ranged knockdowns? Outside of 1v1 in arena, you aren't going to find many chances to use Pinpoint Gust. All our other bow CCs are PvE only (except EES but the EES stun has a retarded 12 second CD so ----- that).

I think we simply disagree sir. Canceling tearing arrow into PG gives extra range and is viable in node wars either before an engage or right after a disengage. I used the plural because there is 2 ways (that I know of) to use PG, one fast, one with extended range, and im able to utilize both of them in node wars.

Q canceling vs what class`? You use this if you you see them running towards you and you have a good amount of distance between you and them, most classes will out speed you with almost every class having a dash of some form and most skills having either superarmor, block or and iframe some even have 2 out of the 3 mentioned effects whilst being able to close the gap.For me Q cancel is at best using to bring down someones block % so its easier to break later on and even then the dmg is not the best unless you have monster gear. Also what is the point of this reply? I did say its at best 20/80 and I did say why blasting gust is a pile of shit feel free to tell me a class your are going to be able to KD not to mention them allowing you to do it.  Also are you for real`? you chase with your DASH moving with Q cancel eats stamina and mana like no tomorrow. The only part I am gone agree on here is that you use call to sky often.

Still what I was arguing against was its being a 40/60 split and not to mention unless you are under 58 why you would swap to bow(when you farm) at all as a lvl 60 I spend all my time in awaking as the dmg is way higher just go watch any KR ranger stream most of them are 250 + ap and all they do is spam mana pot and waltz when I see them farm and they do this to a fault I might add as they dont even seem to use breezy blade but I digress.

The point of the reply sir, was the fact that this is a forum where individuals bounce ideas off of each other. This will naturally draw people to read the thread, and when they see your statement and don't see anybody else discussing it or pointing out other ideas, they might not know other options exist. Hence me pointing those options out.

Q-Canceling for movement isn't for every situation. I mostly use it only if I know the target is on CD with gap closer or if im chasing at a certain angle, but just because you or I don't utilize it in other situations doesn't mean better rangers than us cant.

I ranged KD many classes several times a node war. Discounting it because you don't do it doesn't mean it isn't possible or successful.

With 3 pieces of boss gear, the stamina usage isn't insane. And yes it takes a lot of mana.

All im trying to do is point out that the bow is still useful in PvP. I see too many rangers slipping into awakening only styles and I don't personally think that's the best utilization of the class.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well I'm not too surprised by the ranger becoming a melee class. Legolas, from the Lord of the Rings, was also a ranger if you will. He also fought with a bow and two daggers. In the game Dragon's Dogma, the ranger and strider classes both use a bow and daggers as well. The Archer from Dragon's Crown fought with a bow, daggers, and even kicks for melee attacks. If anyone as seen the anime fate/stay night, the character who was called Archer fought primarily with a bow and two daggers/short swords. So for me it doesn't bother me, but that's just me though.

Edited by Rayo_Azul
spelling correction

Posted

I think we simply disagree sir. Canceling tearing arrow into PG gives extra range and is viable in node wars either before an engage or right after a disengage. I used the plural because there is 2 ways (that I know of) to use PG, one fast, one with extended range, and im able to utilize both of them in node wars.

The point of the reply sir, was the fact that this is a forum where individuals bounce ideas off of each other. This will naturally draw people to read the thread, and when they see your statement and don't see anybody else discussing it or pointing out other ideas, they might not know other options exist. Hence me pointing those options out.

Q-Canceling for movement isn't for every situation. I mostly use it only if I know the target is on CD with gap closer or if im chasing at a certain angle, but just because you or I don't utilize it in other situations doesn't mean better rangers than us cant.

I ranged KD many classes several times a node war. Discounting it because you don't do it doesn't mean it isn't possible or successful.

With 3 pieces of boss gear, the stamina usage isn't insane. And yes it takes a lot of mana.

All im trying to do is point out that the bow is still useful in PvP. I see too many rangers slipping into awakening only styles and I don't personally think that's the best utilization of the class.

boss gear is 1-2 more call to sky the higher in other words it effects little to nothing spamming Q cancel since that eats stamina twice as fast as using call to sky does and  you having more stamina does not effect the rate at which you regen said stamina which was why stamina management was key before awak.

Better rangers you mean when you face shit players who have no clue how their class works? as in the people you are facing on your ranger dont confuse the two. Having watched a bunch of 3v3 tournaments from KR its rather clear that even rangers there spend most of their time in awak.

The fact remains that bow has 1 CC as I have pointed out several times already here and that is blasting gust and managing to KD people who dont even know you are there is not how you are going to define something being "successful".

Also where did I say that bow is not useful? you talking largescale here and not even bothering to mention having 10 + rangers using DC? wait wut? What I DID do was point out  the ratios of actual bow usage I pointed out the flaws of the bow and why it gets used less and less and especially  the higher your lvl is. If we really want to get into nodewars bow is great as you go into it to spam shotgun and DC between waiting to be able to combo again ofc being able to do this requires you to be in a fortified positon aka having lots of people around something that will still work poorly if you are losing the fight you are in(does not mean the whole node but the point you are engaging in).

So good sir dont put words into my mouth if you think I am being unclear say that instead of trying to use your own personal interpretation actually tell me that I am coming of unclear to you, and let me remind you that  20% out of 80% is still 1 5th of the time which is is far more than a class like warrior would ever spend in non awak.

Posted

boss gear is 1-2 more call to sky the higher in other words it effects little to nothing spamming Q cancel since that eats stamina twice as fast as using call to sky does and  you having more stamina does not effect the rate at which you regen said stamina which was why stamina management was key before awak.

Better rangers you mean when you face shit players who have no clue how their class works? as in the people you are facing on your ranger dont confuse the two. Having watched a bunch of 3v3 tournaments from KR its rather clear that even rangers there spend most of their time in awak.

The fact remains that bow has 1 CC as I have pointed out several times already here and that is blasting gust and managing to KD people who dont even know you are there is not how you are going to define something being "successful".

Also where did I say that bow is not useful? you talking largescale here and not even bothering to mention having 10 + rangers using DC? wait wut? What I DID do was point out  the ratios of actual bow usage I pointed out the flaws of the bow and why it gets used less and less and especially  the higher your lvl is. If we really want to get into nodewars bow is great as you go into it to spam shotgun and DC between waiting to be able to combo again ofc being able to do this requires you to be in a fortified positon aka having lots of people around something that will still work poorly if you are losing the fight you are in(does not mean the whole node but the point you are engaging in).

So good sir dont put words into my mouth if you think I am being unclear say that instead of trying to use your own personal interpretation actually tell me that I am coming of unclear to you, and let me remind you that  20% out of 80% is still 1 5th of the time which is is far more than a class like warrior would ever spend in non awak.

The words you literally said was: "Never use bow"

I DO know that right after that you qualified it and said 80/20 split. That's fair, even if I think the ratio is too low.

I think most of our difference in opinion came from different ideas of which kind of PvP we were talking about. I haven't watched a lot of 3v3, but I have watched a ton of and participated in Node War PvP.

Although I think the default strategy of telling someone that they only fight shit-tier players who don't know how to play their class is a bit overused. I spend a decent bit of time in RBF, and theres always at least a few intelligent/strong players in there.

I wasn't trying to discount or discredit everything in your original post. I was just trying to add a little information that someone could find beneficial.

Posted

The words you literally said was: "Never use bow"

I DO know that right after that you qualified it and said 80/20 split. That's fair, even if I think the ratio is too low.

I think most of our difference in opinion came from different ideas of which kind of PvP we were talking about. I haven't watched a lot of 3v3, but I have watched a ton of and participated in Node War PvP.

Although I think the default strategy of telling someone that they only fight shit-tier players who don't know how to play their class is a bit overused. I spend a decent bit of time in RBF, and theres always at least a few intelligent/strong players in there.

I wasn't trying to discount or discredit everything in your original post. I was just trying to add a little information that someone could find beneficial.

Are you Plunge or whatever that guys name is ? taking words out of context? is this what you meant "why you would swap to bow(when you farm) at all " by never using bow? I said in my fist post it is at best a 20/80 ratio and in that paticular  part of that post I said that it was when you are FARMING you know PvE?

The thing Is I can use razor wind in in a nodewar when no one is looking or paying attention to me and as I said before has little to nothing to do with if the playstyle is effective/good at all.

Why do you think I used 3v3 as an example of pvp? unlike nodewars where in EU/NA case its often 100 vs 100 or even more zerg rushes on a node? because here you need to use a playstyle fitted to being a focused target or at the very one that they enemy is actively paying attention to. I can run around RBF using PG or even DC to snipe lite hits for pro points above my head does this means bow is 90% of how you are going to play your ranger then? I mean its great you can get points with no effort(same with nodewars you can get alot of kills to your score so this works in both) but are you actually benefiting your team/guild in the actual fight? Ranger along with the what I would call majority of classes atm are slotted into an assasin role meaning you are actually engaging into a full or majority part kill on a target.  Hell sure rangers got DC for nodewar aoe but its effect due to crap dmg is non existant due to nerfs to skill that needs to be reverted(badly) that its not like you are a wizard that can halt a huge portion of a push on your with your 100% and only gain effect when there are alot of other rangers around you.

On 3v3 note cant wait for that to be added here so ranger will get some real relevance again since largescale pvp is not our strongest suit and the fact might just be instead of a 50% wizard population maybe we might bring it down to 45%! here hoping!

Posted

Omg my alt ranger is at lvl 51 are you saying when I get awakening I no longer get my bow? Seriously I love playing my ranger because of the bow.

Tell me this ain't so

<bangs head on desk>

Posted

Are you Plunge or whatever that guys name is ? taking words out of context? is this what you meant "why you would swap to bow(when you farm) at all " by never using bow? I said in my fist post it is at best a 20/80 ratio and in that paticular  part of that post I said that it was when you are FARMING you know PvE?

The thing Is I can use razor wind in in a nodewar when no one is looking or paying attention to me and as I said before has little to nothing to do with if the playstyle is effective/good at all.

Why do you think I used 3v3 as an example of pvp? unlike nodewars where in EU/NA case its often 100 vs 100 or even more zerg rushes on a node? because here you need to use a playstyle fitted to being a focused target or at the very one that they enemy is actively paying attention to. I can run around RBF using PG or even DC to snipe lite hits for pro points above my head does this means bow is 90% of how you are going to play your ranger then? I mean its great you can get points with no effort(same with nodewars you can get alot of kills to your score so this works in both) but are you actually benefiting your team/guild in the actual fight? Ranger along with the what I would call majority of classes atm are slotted into an assasin role meaning you are actually engaging into a full or majority part kill on a target.  Hell sure rangers got DC for nodewar aoe but its effect due to crap dmg is non existant due to nerfs to skill that needs to be reverted(badly) that its not like you are a wizard that can halt a huge portion of a push on your with your 100% and only gain effect when there are alot of other rangers around you.

On 3v3 note cant wait for that to be added here so ranger will get some real relevance again since largescale pvp is not our strongest suit and the fact might just be instead of a 50% wizard population maybe we might bring it down to 45%! here hoping!

Pay attention.

Have a good day.

Posted

Sorry I guess I skimmed over some of the key points I feel better now. :D :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

Because they wanted to make yet another melee assassin class in their game that already has half the classes falling into that category? Then took the bow and gutted the crap out of it, so you were obligated to play it in the afore mentioned melee assassin style.

Enjoy!

You forgot to mention in a game where it doesn't matter if you're a pure DPS class because all the utility classes can one-shot other people regardless.

Sorry I guess I skimmed over some of the key points I feel better now. :D :ph34r:

You're not using bow outside of PvE. The only time you're using bow in PvP is to finish someone off with a shotgun.

Edited by Katsuragi

Posted

Because ranger is not a -----ing archer. There's a difference. If you were dumb enough to think ranger is archer, don't blame Kakao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_(character_class)

Scrolling through old posts I see this gem... You literally say a ranger is not an archer and then post a wiki link where the first line of text says.

Ranger (also known as HunterArcherScout, or Tracker)

That was a good laugh, I appreciate it.