• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

We almost purchased this game...

87 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

My wife and I are veterans of SWTOR and ESO and, and looking for a new RPGMMO to kill time in, since our main game, SWTOR we have played since launch is feeling very stale for awhile now. 

So, we decided to try out BDO, since I have heard and read about its excellent combat system. (I have to agree on this after playing)

We are at the end of our 7 day trial, it expires tomorrow. We really think this is a neat game in its own way, and not looking to compare this with another game we are playing. 

Our gripe and why we will not buy this otherwise fun game....

The ability to have different outfits, or to be able to color outfits within reasonable cost. 

What is up with a dye pallet with a time limit? I can live with renting the pallet, but the fact you also lose the color you put on your outfit when it expires is really bad business. 

What is also pretty bad is the cost of the armors in the pearl shop.... I would have no problem buying a armor set for $32 if I could also use that same set on other characters. My wife and I are alt junkies, as I am sure many other potential players would be. 

This is a very good game, fun to play and has excellent music, good graphics for a rpgmmo, amazing combat and a character creator even god would enjoy playing with - lol. It is a real shame, greed is in the way and punishing anyone that loves to be immersed in their character's appearance. 

How about a system that works for another group of people, like us older folks. Leave the current system in place for people that do like it, but have a subscription system for people too, one that gives them things like color dye pallet, a monthly allotment of pearls and maybe a few other small perks perhaps. I came from two AAA RPGMMO's, they have a monthly subscription system too, but ESO has a much better and more cost friendly system than SWTOR. BDO does not have to have anything exact, but at least offer the option. Actually, ESO and BDO are both P2P, but ESO has the monthly subscription for those extras. Think about it, from a business standpoint, you get a steady monthly income from players that like doing business that way. You would still be P2P and would have no negative impact on the existing community or new players by adding a subscription model to this game. 

We will be watching close for new deals and/or pearl shop changes.... Great job on the game-play! 

Edited by themanthatisi
21 people like this

Posted

Youre doing yourself a favor, honestly. 

11 people like this

Posted

I'd imagine they get pretty consistent income from the Value Pack which basically functions as a $15 month long subscription. You should look into it in the in-game pearl shop. It provides a plethora of benefits for your entire account for 1 month, for the cost of $15.

It can also be purchased on the in-game marketplace from players selling it, so it's obtainable for the lucky few without spending any real currency. 

The only thing it doesn't provide you with is costumes and a monthly allotment of pearls.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

My wife and I are veterans of SWTOR and ESO and, and looking for a new RPGMMO to kill time in, since our main game, SWTOR we have played since launch is feeling very stale for awhile now. 

So, we decided to try out BDO, since I have heard and read about its excellent combat system. (I have to agree on this after playing)

We are at the end of our 7 day trial, it expires tomorrow. We really think this is a neat game in its own way, and not looking to compare this with another game we are playing. 

The ability to have different outfits, or to be able to color outfits within reasonable cost. 

What is up with a dye pallet with a time limit? I can live with renting the pallet, but the fact you also lose the color you put on your outfit when it expires is really bad business. 

What is also pretty bad is the cost of the armors in the pearl shop.... I would have no problem buying a armor set for $32 if I could also use that same set on other characters. My wife and I are alt junkies, as I am sure many other potential players would be. 

This is a very good game, fun to play and has excellent music, good graphics for a rpgmmo, amazing combat and a character creator even god would enjoy playing with - lol. It is a real shame, greed is in the way and punishing anyone that loves to be immersed in their character's appearance. 

How about a system that works for another group of people, like us older folks. Leave the current system in place for people that do like it, but have a subscription system for people too, one that gives them things like color dye pallet, a monthly allotment of pearls and maybe a few other small perks perhaps. I came from two AAA RPGMMO's, they have a monthly subscription system too, but ESO has a much better and more cost friendly system than SWTOR. BDO does not have to have anything exact, but at least offer the option. Actually, ESO and BDO are both P2P, but ESO has the monthly subscription for those extras. Think about it, from a business standpoint, you get a steady monthly income from players that like doing business that way. You would still be P2P and would have no negative impact on the existing community or new players by adding a subscription model to this game. 

We will be watching close for new deals and/or pearl shop changes.... Great job on the game-play! 

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but there is an item in the pearl shop called Value pack and it lasts one month and it essentially functions like a subscription thinger. It gives you unlimited access to all dyes (as long as the pack is running) and an assortment of other things, as for costumes you can purchase them on the market with in game money!

EDIT - Ayl beat me to it!

Edited by Cat Box
2 people like this

Posted

You can buy costumes off the marketplace.  Although it might take more time than you'd like since you have to get lucky and win bids.

You can also buy Value Packs (pearl shop or marketplace), which give you unlimited dye for 30 days, amongst other perks such as inventory space, and less Marketplace taxes.

Still though, you're probably better off not playing this game.  Weight space upgrades do not move to characters which is what really hinders the enjoyability of alts.

1 person likes this

Posted

My advice to any potential new players: Read up in DETAILS on how endgame gear enhancement is done. Pets breeding system and etc. The game sucks you in with its leveling content. 

I still enjoy the game but detests its gambling system implemented in almost every aspect of the game.

10 people like this

Posted

You need to pay for everything here. Run while you have spent little time, that way you won't feel like if you should stay cause all the time already spent.

This is a cash grab, and nothing will change.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks all, I did not look at the value packs, they do kind of simulate a monthly sub, but I am bothered by the fact those inventory slots do not carry over to alts. 

However, we will give the game a go....  It is fun to play. :)

As for the others that suggest not bother playing this.... If there is one thing I have learned, all MMO's have something that sucks... lol 

Posted

Thanks all, I did not look at the value packs, they do kind of simulate a monthly sub, but I am bothered by the fact those inventory slots do not carry over to alts. 

As for the others that suggest not bother playing this.... If there is one thing I have learned, all MMO's have something that sucks... lol 

You were warned. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah but in this game you need to pay for all, even to afk (inventory slots / weight / different costumes / pets). And sadly apart from pets, all the other are character based, so prepare your wallet.

My english grammar is not very good but to the sentence "
We almost purchased this game..." the ending "we will give the game a go" does not match.

Attention gotten, happy now? Don't see the meaning of the full topic... Basically is "we won't buy the game but we will buy it..."

Posted

"Convenience" items or to me essential items like some inventory slots and weight (and at least 1 costume 4 pets) are crucial to your game enjoyment.

You can work out how much it is.

Endgame items you are looking to at least enhance to "tri". RNG to get boss gears off bosses or marketplace or nightvendor.

At this point i feel.i am playing this game more because of my money and time investment mainly.

1 person likes this

Posted

That.

Posted

You should buy it anyways. Its really fun.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You know OP, this publisher and developer are crap.

I would not purchase this game at all if I knew how bad these 2 companies are/ were. Only here because I actually do enjoy the game and have spent some money at release ( first time ever in a MMO to spend money after the initial purchase) so I feel guilty and want to get my money's worth.

But honestly, game is -----ing great, it's a disgrace that the cash shop is so expensive and these 2 companies are utter crap.

I mean you can spend $7-10 on a pet EACH and aren't even guaranteed for it to upgrade and you can actually have your pets breed result in the same tier and you actually LOSE a pet... that's a -----ing scam. Only reason it's not illegal is because we "know" about it?! I guess.

This game only costs what $5 and I can't in good conscious buy it for any of my friends because of how bad this publisher and developer are. Seriously my friend and I can't even gift this to anyone we have these 2 companies so damn much.

oh ya, also a lot of the mechanics aren't fleshed out and lots of little bugs that people just ignore, or don't care about because the mechanics are utter crap.

Amity games has 2 bugs in it for over 3 months and you don't see any posts about it since literally everyone seems to hate the Amity mechanic. Great concept, but utter crap execution.

Tool Tip windows get stuck everywhere. Yup one of the most fundamental things in computers and these guys after 1 year have not been able to get tool tip windows from getting stuck on your screen.

They allow housing furniture that is bought from the cash shop to stack interior points, which means you better be willing to shell out $ thousands to compete for rank 1 house which could give great passive income. Not a big deal in the 4 major cities, but any town with less than 20 houses is total P2W You literally have houses with 40+ cash shop chandeliers costing hundreds of $$ to stack interior points.

You literally cannot craft enough furniture to compete with cash shop and to add insult to injury Crafted Furniture points don't stack unlike cash shop furniture lol

Patch notes are a nightmare. Stuff in the patch notes that says it's in the game when it isn't or saying it's new when it has been there for weeks if not months

I could go on for pages lol

Worst part is the game is absolutely beautiful and has some great concepts. Just sucks we have 2 shitty companies. As you can see it makes me a bit mad that people getting paid can be so -----ing bad at what they do... sigh.....

Edited by Pavo
3 people like this

Posted

OP if you decide to play, and have a tight gaming budget, I would recommend you play all of the different classes you think you might want for a main first before investing much money on them.  You should also take into consideration how the class you choose is played after awakening at level 60 because it can be very different from the way the class plays up to level 59.

When I first started I invested money in one class and later decided I wanted another class as my main so I ended up spending more money than I needed to. 

If you are a competitive PvP player that wants to rush to the top you should expect to spend a lot more money on convenience items that help speed things up especially if you can only play 3 or 4 hours per day. 

Prior to the server merge I created a new character on another server and over the course of two weeks (was doing lots of quest) took it to level 56 without spending any money at all on the cash shop and although I really enjoyed it I did miss having pets and a little more inventory space and weight. 

One suggestion to deal with storage space is to have a wagon for each alt character you have and use them for storage.  You can also park a wagon near a grinding area to help carry stuff.

I've been playing BDO for a year as a PvE player and I'm still loving the game just as much now as I did when I first started.  The game is far from being perfect but in my opinion BDO is the best MMORPG on the market.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just sucks we have 2 shitty companies. As you can see it makes me a bit mad that people getting paid can be so -----ing bad at what they do... sigh.....

Kakao published bdo for the sole purpose of feeding the proceeds to some of their brick and mortar businesses that were running in the red. They are doing a great job in that aspect.

1 person likes this

Posted

My advice to any potential new players: Read up in DETAILS on how endgame gear enhancement is done. Pets breeding system and etc. The game sucks you in with its leveling content. 

I still enjoy the game but detests its gambling system implemented in almost every aspect of the game.

I think the worst enemy of this game is it own dependence on using rng for progression. The systems are kind of interesting... but IMO really overtuned.

Posted

OP, the game's present financial model works just fine. Works fine for Kakao and Pearl Abyss. Works fine for its users.

It's not to say at all that specific complaints don't exist.. like the horse p2w or how pet rng works.

However, a subscription does not improve anything at all. It seems like you haven't played enough, so you don't understand how a Value Pack works.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Honestly, don't bother getting the game. Same thing I tell any of my friends who ask, it's just a huge money sink. Devs only care about KR and Publishers only care about money. Don't expect any changes to the cash shop any time soon. The basics of the game are nice, but that's only to lure you in, don't fall for it. You need a damn cash shop costume just so you can swim decently... This game is just a casino that's cleverly disguised as a MMO, anyone who tells you differently either works for Kakao or is too stupid to realize it.

I wonder if there's ever gonna be some rich guy who's a gamer through and through who will finally decide to create and launch a game not for profit, but for the players. I dream of such a day, but it will most likely just remain a dream though.

Edited by Zodiac

Posted

Yeah but in this game you need to pay for all, even to afk (inventory slots / weight / different costumes / pets). And sadly apart from pets, all the other are character based, so prepare your wallet.
My english grammar is not very good but to the sentence "
We almost purchased this game..." the ending "we will give the game a go" does not match.
Attention gotten, happy now? Don't see the meaning of the full topic... Basically is "we won't buy the game but we will buy it..."

You obviously did not comprehend what was written....  I altered my desire from not buying to buying based on the posts of others mentioning the "value packs" and how they work similar to a monthly subscription. got it?

Thank you again to all for the comments, they are very helpful.... 

Posted (edited)

i also came from swtor n this game provides what other modern mmorpgs lack, making it a longlasting experience in this vast open world. Just b wise about ur money, pick a class u truly enjoy based on playstyle n stick with it, perhaps play all chars to 56 57 to get a good grasp of their awakening playstyles before investing further. Much u do along that road benefits ur account anyway such as energy, cp, and gear carry over.

Edited by Nacario

Posted

i also came from swtor n this game provides what other modern mmorpgs lack, making it a longlasting experience in this vast open world. Just b wise about ur money, pick a class u truly enjoy based on playstyle n stick with it, perhaps play all chars to 56 57 to get a good grasp of their awakening playstyles before investing further. Much u do along that road benefits ur account anyway such as energy, cp, and gear carry over.

Alts is not all that bad either, I have several, that I have different costumes for and such, and since this guy will most likely play with his SO, they will not need insane amounts of bagspace.

My alts I have bought costumes for on the MP, I've bought some weight limit from loyalties, and the ones I've really really enjoyed I've bought 1-2 weight limits on after a while, but how I see it is that I buy a few things in this game every now and again over going out drinking etc, which people use even more money on.
Usually hobbies do end up costing a little, but you don't have to spend loads of money right away to be able to play the game.

I have T4 pets and stuff, but I didn't get them before i had played the game for over half a year. Then I decided I wanted to invest in that.
But nothing is 100% mandatory, you can get by having some T1 pets for example that you got either from buying the game or buying on the MP.
No need for real money purchases if you want to avoid that.

1 person likes this

Posted

I Enjoy this game tremendously. No other game offers even close to the variety of things you can do in a game. It is a cash sink yes if you are in a hurry and can't wait for loyalty or actually levelling different skills on your characters. Even after a year it is hard for people to realise this game isn't a sprint but you progress steadily if you are patient. I haven't used any money outside of one costume and don't even use value pack money atm. since I got plenty for free due to different events. Although when used I don't mind using the money for it as a monthly subscription.

Hope you enjoy the game and welcome :)

Posted

So don't buy the game if you don't like it.

Posted (edited)

If you really like the game, the best advice this thread has ever given is to get decisive about your favorite class (know/try awakening) before you invest in character-specific cash shop items. Pets, in game items (armor, accessories), knowledge/energy, contribution, mounts, storage inventory, worker lodging space, housing, housing items and value packs are/can be shared/used across all your characters, everything else is character bound. As for the things that might make you make bad/regrettable decisions in this game in general : urgency, impulsivity  impatience and malignant competitiveness.

One more thing to note/remember is that your activated value pack effects are account-wide, and among the perks of value packs is the ability to re-edit/change your character appearance anytime as long as the pack is active.

Edited by Beeso