• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Total Cost of BDO

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, for once im here to make a post that isnt a rant! I'm here to do a bit of civil discussion.

The real cost of BDO

Lets assume your competent enough to buy the Explorers pack in this analysis.

Explorers pack 50.00

2 Pets 18.00

All combat skill reset (youll need at least one of these in your lifetime, dont kid yourself) $9

Inventory expansion x3 of the highest upgrade (a must tbh) $15 assuming you got it during a sale

Weight expansion x1 of the highest upgrade (playing without this is like no mans sky, you'll spend more time vending than playing) $10

Three outfits (for xp and pvp) $80 (Discount assumes you bought pearls in bulk like a smart person)

Value pack 90 days x4 (for now and the predictable future&those juicy item scrolls) (Price reflects discount for bulk pearls) $160

Artisans memory is one of those things up for debate honestly. Like tier 3 pets, it can give you a progression edge, but is it really enough to justify the cost?

You dont need horse armor\

You dont need the housing stuff

Tier 3 pets make progression 20% faster for me, as i one shot everything now, but this wasnt always the case. I'm gona say you dont need these but they would increase wealth by at least 10% in the long run, and the buffs sweeten the deal. We can leave these out though. Not everyone grinds mobs as much as i do.

total cost assuming you are a very savvy shopper = $341

With recurring cost of $160 a year in value packs

3 years of play= $661 unless you want to suffer the poverty life of not buying value packs, in which case its $341 through and through

Effectively making this the most expensive MMO you will ever play,  slightly more expensive than WoW for a comparable 3 years, which comes with all the features

WoW sub for 3 years = 540 + expansions = 640

Bdo sub and necessary* pearl shop items for 3 years = 661

*By necessary i mean that, unless you like to be at a disadvantage in the long term youll buy these items. Similar to a mobile game, you dont expect to be relevant without spending money on certain things. 

Edited by Frostfire2k
1 person likes this

Posted

But I enjoy playing BDO way more than WoW.  I would certainly agree that the Pearl Shop prices are steep but I enjoy the game enough to think it's worth it. 

Because I play so much BDO I don't need cable TV (if I'm not playing BDO I'm reading) and I don't spend nearly as much on my mobile phone as most people do.  Instead I spend some of that money on BDO and the rest on books.

As a side note eighteen years ago, when I started playing Ultima Online, I spent $110 just for a house in the game.  That was a lot of money but for me it was worth it.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

This game is def expensive to play if you are a student or many bills to fill vs income. But generally once u bought the stuff, only focus on one or two char cash shop wise, and be wise about future sales, this game actually isnt too bad if u consider how unique of an mmorpg it is in this day and age, and compare its costs vs other mmorpgs such as gw2, where i personally spent tons of more money even tho its b2p/f2p.

Difference here is that alot of the stuff is quite essential to have, while in other games u dont get that pushed on u, yet u spend equal or more money in those games. Just dont burn ur money on artisans n costume for selling, now thats a big money sink (unless u straight up dont care).

Edited by Nacario

Posted

WoW is 33e / 3 months which makes it 132e / year therefore 396e total for 3 yeras (assuming you purchasing the best subscription deal for 3 months)

For sure if someone doesn't have self control or other real life priorities or he simply makes that much money, he can spend tons of money in the cash shop. Personaly in a total of 8 months gametime (started at launch, quitted for few months and came back) i've spent exacly 500e in the cash shop + 30e on game purchase on release. 

Posted

So you invest 600 euros (dollars) over a period of 3 years to enjoy your hobby.

Try fishing, hunting or coin colecting irl and calculate how much you spend in 3 years.

6 people like this

Posted

But I enjoy playing BDO way more than WoW.  I would certainly agree that the Pearl Shop prices are steep but I enjoy the game enough to think it's worth it. 

Because I play so much BDO I don't need cable TV (if I'm not playing BDO I'm reading) and I don't spend nearly as much on my mobile phone as most people do.  Instead I spend some of that money on BDO and the rest on books.

As a side note eighteen years ago, when I started playing Ultima Online, I spent $110 just for a house in the game.  That was a lot of money but for me it was worth it.

Thats a good argument @ronniejw and one that is frequently used to justify the spending. It's also interesting that some of us value the MMORPG segment far more than other games like Witcher, which has incredible production and enough content for at least a year at $40. Rust which holds 400 people on large servers with an in-depth crafting system, collision, pvp and several game modes for $20. Both Battlefield and GTA series for being the most expensive games ever made for $60, all of these game come with a year or more of content for $60.

Yet something about the MMORPG games grab us. What is it? What makes them so different? 

Posted

I agree with that idea. It will make 2 major things:

1. Group of players who couldn't afford VP every month will now be able to buy it directly from Pearl Shop.

2. Group of players who buy VP to sell it on the market (ofc current price must remain) will rise and it's availability on the market for players who still can't afford it will rise (right now its almost impossible to snipe one).

In my opinion this change will increase VP sale multiple times so.... Players Win, KAKAO Win. WinWINWin.

Posted

Try fishing, hunting or coin colecting irl and calculate how much you spend in 3 years.

Hunting and coin collecting are expensive.. But fishing? 

I assume youre talking about actually taking a boat out? If thats the case then the hobby is far more than fishing- thats a lifestyle. Fishing, adventuring the waters, Getting away from it all. Fishing itself- just taking a pole to a pier or a lake, thats no more than $200 for 3 years unless you use your pole as an axe, in which case it would break as fast as a BDO axe for sure.

Posted

Yep, but some consider spending money on online gaming as a bad thing, we know that ;) Anyway i total agree with you.

Posted

I couldn't agree more with this statement, I'd give another example myself, for example my friends IRL(who don't play video games) enjoying going out for drinks every saturday, spending 30-50e / each to enjoy their saturday night. I personally can't do it cuz im working till late / don't want to cuz i don't enjoy drinking. Therefore they spend 150e average per month just for going out for drinks, you get the point B|

Posted

I agree with that idea. It will make 2 major things:

1. Group of players who couldn't afford VP every month will now be able to buy it directly from Pearl Shop.

2. Group of players who buy VP to sell it on the market (ofc current price must remain) will rise and it's availability on the market for players who still can't afford it will rise (right now its almost impossible to snipe one).

In my opinion this change will increase VP sale multiple times so.... Players Win, KAKAO Win. WinWINWin.

If the price for value packs went up to a certain extent then the Total Cost of BDO would be totally different. If you could make 100 mil (which people would be willing to pay- even for a 30 day) for a value pack, and sell 5 a week. That would become part of the total cost of BDO. It would become a necessary purchase. So that really wouldnt fix the problem at all.

I couldn't agree more with this statement, I'd give another example myself, for example my friends IRL(who don't play video games) enjoying going out for drinks every saturday, spending 30-50e / each to enjoy their saturday night. I personally can't do it cuz im working till late / don't want to cuz i don't enjoy drinking. Therefore they spend 150e average per month just for going out for drinks, you get the point B|

Your friends are spending a lot to do that. I agree. But that's more of a real life improvement rather than a hobby depending on how you treat it. A lot of people who go out for Saturday drinks are making connections, networking, making friends. Some friends can open doors for you in life. Those doors may make an ROI worth far more than the price of those drinks. Also, finding a soul mate is priceless, which can also be attained this way.

Posted

I assume youre talking about actually taking a boat out? If thats the case then the hobby is far more than fishing- thats a lifestyle. Fishing, adventuring the waters, Getting away from it all. Fishing itself- just taking a pole to a pier or a lake, thats no more than $200 for 3 years unless you use your pole as an axe, in which case it would break as fast as a BDO axe for sure.

You have no idea, do you ? First fishing require a license that needs to be renewed quite regularly (and cost a lot), then you need fishing rods, which tend to break down more than you think (the base cost is quite strong, maintenance cost is too), then there's all the used material (bait, hooks, fishing lines) which do cost a lot.

And that's only for shore fishing.

Fishing is a luxury hobby.

1 person likes this

Posted

If the price for value packs went up to a certain extent then the Total Cost of BDO would be totally different. If you could make 100 mil (which people would be willing to pay- even for a 30 day) for a value pack, and sell 5 a week. That would become part of the total cost of BDO. It would become a necessary purchase. So that really wouldnt fix the problem at all.

It wouldn't be nessecary for comfortable play but gearing up faster for those who can afford it. 50mil per week is nothing :)

Posted

You have no idea, do you ? First fishing require a license that needs to be renewed quite regularly (and cost a lot), then you need fishing rods, which tend to break down more than you think (the base cost is quite strong, maintenance cost is too), then there's all the used material (bait, hooks, fishing lines) which do cost a lot.

I grew up in the south. With ponds, piers, and lakes all around. I fished as a hobby and sometimes spent an entire day doing it. You could catch a lot of great fish by putting a cut up hot dog on the hook. You could throw out a hand net in a good spot and catch an absurd amount of fish. You fly fish with artificial bait using the same box of tackle for 30 years. 

Fishing isnt a luxury hobby at all. In fact its a great hobby for poor people, very cheap and it can put food on the table.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Are we suggesting that this game promotes an exclusive gaming experience, one that filters out the Free-To-Play plebs?  My only response is, "Good!"

Some of us, many who are long-time experienced gamers, value BDO enough to put real cash into it.  I'll probably buy another 10g in Daum Cash this weekend,and why not? I'm not at the pub pissing it away, or engaging in some other money draining activity. 

Edited by Krusty

Posted

Nope. Just calculate how much you would pay for gas/train/bus to get to the peer in order to fish. 

Also the price of gas or train/bus tickets if you dont live on the shore :)

Posted (edited)

Your friends are spending a lot to do that. I agree. But that's more of a real life improvement rather than a hobby depending on how you treat it. A lot of people who go out for Saturday drinks are making connections, networking, making friends. Some friends can open doors for you in life. Those doors may make an ROI worth far more than the price of those drinks. Also, finding a soul mate is priceless, which can also be attained this way.

I mean everyone has their opinion and their personal view of things, but going out for drinks every saturday and dancing in the club is a real life improvement? Depends how someone consider his life being improved and obviously your age.You think differently when you're 20 / 25 / 30 yo and so on. Since i've been doing that aswell at some point in my life, i agree on the part of making connections and "friends".  But that is it

The point here is that everyone can spend  their own money the way they want and the way that entertains them, therefore spending money in a game is NOT a bad thing, as long as you enjoy it.

Edited by Stilgar
1 person likes this

Posted

Also the price of gas or train/bus tickets if you dont live on the shore :)

Ahh so this is the argument then. Fishing is expensive if you live in the mountains or the desert. For me, i grew up naturally in the south, with water all around. I guess this argument cant be won as it comes from entirely different perspectives. 

I mean everyone has their opinion and their personal view of things, but going out for drinks every saturday and dancing in the club is a real life improvement? Depends how someone consider his life being improved and obviously your age.You think differently when you're 20 / 25 / 30 yo and so on. Since i've been doing that aswell at some point in my life, i agree on the part of making connections and "friends".  But that is it

Also wanted to point out that your friends must go to the top clubs. I've been to the EU. So i could make a couple guesses. Tiger Tiger? Zig Zag? In the states there are quality clubs with free entry for first arrivals and free drinks for the first hour of opening. This is yet another argument of different perspectives.

Posted

pfftsfffsfs casual fisher .. the worst

58de30f2ce6d9_2017-03-31_11_34_58-Amazon

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

TBF that's not a real comparison, with most hobbies your left with a tangible asset if you decide to stop, or at least have re-sale value should you wish to upgrade your current equipment.  Take something like A Games Workshop Game like Warhammer 40K, which is considered an expensive hobby, even then you have some value in your hobby.

BDO offers no value outside of actually playing the game, it's all "pie in the sky" value, there's nothing to sell on.  Even if you consider that some people buy a computer to play the game and say spend £1500 on that system, in 6 months that same computer is worth maybe £1000 and in a year £500 or less.  Thats only if you decide to re-sell your computer because you don't want to play anything else.

Edited by Iscoed
1 person likes this

Posted

TBF that's not a real comparison, with most hobbies your left with a tangible asset if you decide to stop, or at least have re-sale value should you wish to upgrade your current equipment.  Take something like A Games Workshop Game like Warhammer 40K, which is considered an expensive hobby, even then you have some value in your hobby.

BDO offers no value outside of actually playing the game, it's all "pie in the sky" value, there's nothing to sell on.  Even if you consider that some people buy a computer to play the game and say spend £1500 on that system, in 6 months that same computer is worth maybe £1000 and in a year £500 or less.  Thats only if you decide to re-sell your computer because you don't want to ply anything else.

Yet another reason to play BDO. it helps us realize what really matters in life. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

this game actually isnt too bad if u consider how unique of an mmorpg it is in this day and age, and compare its costs vs other mmorpgs such as gw2, where i personally spent tons of more money even tho its b2p/f2p.

Only thing what really save this game is from 10 years was not released even single great MMO. In fact,the game had potential but it is all wasted.

About costs, it is far too expensive. To be competive need to throw around 400$ for base things.

It is all depend by country. In my country costs of licence back in one day of fishing (licence is cheaper than 2-3 fishes in shop). Buy expensive rods is just waste of money, it doesn't really matter.

Posted

Ahh so this is the argument then. Fishing is expensive if you live in the mountains or the desert. For me, i grew up naturally in the south, with water all around. I guess this argument cant be won as it comes from entirely different perspectives. 

Also wanted to point out that your friends must go to the top clubs. I've been to the EU. So i could make a couple guesses. Tiger Tiger? Zig Zag? In the states there are quality clubs with free entry for first arrivals and free drinks for the first hour of opening. This is yet another argument of different perspectives.

Im from Romania (eastern Europe country) and  if i hit the pub ima spend around 30 euros. And its a regular small city pub nothing fancy. But i drink mostly spirits. If i would only drink beer id spend half of that. 

Anyway, this thread, like many before it, its higly subjective. 

If some1 has a net pay of 400 euros/month (thats the medium wage in my country) this game will be highly expensive to play at a competitive lvl. On the otherhand, if you have a high pay (or if you are filthy rich) the money you spend in the game are shit and spending them doesent affect your life stile.

Posted

total cost assuming you are a very savvy shopper = $341

Haha good one.

More like $200 a week so I can cap out on that juicy pay2win silver. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The things you 100% need imo

3x t1 pets, you'll mostlikely get a free penguin every few months or so.

weight limit 2x the most expensive ones.

value packs, try to snipe them from market but thats a joke so better just buy them.

the rest you don't really need and only give a very small boost.