• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Why does Valencia suck?

75 posts in this topic

Posted

So I've been playing this game for half a year now and have finally decided to continue questing into the Valencia region. I don't really know why but I've always had this idea of seeing players out in the desert. Crossing it to get to the shining city on the sands or being out there to fight players/monsters as the black desert (also the name of the game) would be the end game area in my mind. It saddens me to learn that Valencia, along with all of its region, are damn near empty. What I have been told  from asking around is that its just not worth it to go out there. Which is just so disappointing because here I was saving what I thought to be a whole other part of the game for when I got close to having good gear. It just baffles me that Kakao Games can leave an entire half of the map useless other than questing in a game like this. It now makes sense to me why servers have so much issues. When everyone is crammed into half of the map the other half sits empty and just uses up server resources for nothing.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah I only went through all of Valencia for exploration and only found 4 players in the whole region. It feels like that in comparison to heidel and calpheon. There are people grinding there but you don't see them much.

Edited by Dalenos

Posted

I think you're missing the point of the desert entirely. It's vast, open, filled with dangers. There's dragons, sandstorms, mystical portals that transport you to a place you absolutely will die in, you can die of heat stroke and hypothermia, there's no map to navigate by, it's a playpit for perma reds since they incur no penalty for murdering people out there, and there's a notorious prison hidden far beyond the dunes that housed the Eternal Alchemist himself. Probably a whole lot of other things that I'm just not thinking of right now. It's a fantastic region. The desert is meant to be harsh and difficult to cross (in the story), not littered with pit stops and roads with quests.

16 people like this

Posted

I'm liking Valencia (and the abundance of high CP experience quests when you first get there makes it worth questing). Most players probably don't hang out in Valencia cuz they'd rather just easy-mode grind. But if you've been playing for half a year and only just getting there, then you probably enjoy the game/storyline/quests more than those who just grind, so you'll probably enjoy it more than most.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think you're missing the point of the desert entirely. It's vast, open, filled with dangers. There's dragons, sandstorms, mystical portals that transport you to a place you absolutely will die in, you can die of heat stroke and hypothermia, there's no map to navigate by, it's a playpit for perma reds since they incur no penalty for murdering people out there, and there's a notorious prison hidden far beyond the dunes that housed the Eternal Alchemist himself. Probably a whole lot of other things that I'm just not thinking of right now. It's a fantastic region. The desert is meant to be harsh and difficult to cross (in the story), not littered with pit stops and roads with quests.

It is a great region Designwise, they just need to buff grind spots

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I think you missed his point.

What he is saying is that the area is unpopular because of reasons such as grinding XP and silver there isn't as good as other places like pirates or sausans for most people. That's one of the major reasons.

then we have other reasons why the desert area is unpopulated.

The karma system sucks in the desert zone, the Valencia mobs in the desert give very little karma back making it absolutely useless to grind off karma there. You're better off going to elrics which is in Mediah. I know this because I've been -1m karma many times. So no it's not a home for bandits.

also, in this so called bandit zone, it's actually more safe than the lawful place. It's ironic but true, if someone flags on you and you kill him, or if he kills you, you can just respawn 10 seconds away and your enemy has a 30 minutes debuff allowing you and everyone else to kill him and jail him making the guy waste 30-60+ minutes.

then we have the useless bandit town. Completely useless. Very small, isolated, waste of time.

Then we have pila ku which is okay if you have decent gear and one friend to duo with. But still, the long trek there is just not worth it compared to other grindspots easier to access.

then we have Valencia, the only good thing it is for is to TP guildmates there for crates and stock with potions and water for maids, that's it.

then it has an even more useless town further east.

Then we have hidden night time layten mobs, that drops another type of ogre ring. The difference is how inconvenient it is to farm these guys compared to ogres who are close, always spawns and have an easy rotation.

I could go on. The portals, the mobs there drop decent silver if you have a dedicated party of 5 to grind there. It's risky as they can kill you but it's just too taxing to both be alert for the mobs and always making a party. Besides it's not much different than pirates either.

I can go on and on but there's no point. 

Bashims and Gahaz bandits are okay, along elite hunting but that's pretty much it and it's not any better than already existing areas.

I wish that all you said was true but it's simply not, sadly.

Tldr :

-meh grindspots

-useless small towns 

-owpvp bandit life is a joke 

-too far 

-not rewarding enough for the gear required.

If they want to reduce traffic from pirates and sausans they gotta do more buffs like they did to Gahaz but even better.

Edited by LoneWolf
9 people like this

Posted

Risk vs. Reward in Valencia (and Kama) is completely out of balance when compared against Pirates (or Sausan).

Would I rather...

1. Farm Pirates
    1. Great Experience
    2. Nearly zero risk of death with good gear, even when the servers are taking a crap
    3. Great profit (Silver/Coins/Tokens)
  2. Farm Anything in Valencia
    1. Moderate to Ok Experience, often held back for most players by their TTK. Many of the places that give higher experience in turn give less profit.
    2. Almost anything in Valencia can kill you if the servers take a crap, which they've been doing more recently.
    3. Moderate to Ok profit, but higher profits tend to come with lower experience
    4. Low chance of getting a gold accessory drop that is devalued from it's maximum value by a developer who constantly gives them away in free monthly boxes

It's an easy choice. If you have the strength to hold a pirate grind spot, you are given a more balanced reward for that grind verse the Valencia grind spots. There isn't a single grind spot in Valencia that is going to give you the same income AND experience as Pirates if you have moderate to average player gear. The problem with Valencia has always remained the same, but they've never actually fixed it.

2 people like this

Posted

I think you missed his point.

What he is saying is that the area is unpopular because of reasons such as grinding XP and silver there isn't as good as other places like pirates or sausans for most people. That's one of the major reasons.

then we have other reasons why the desert area is unpopulated.

The karma system sucks in the desert zone, the Valencia mobs in the desert give very little karma back making it absolutely useless to grind off karma there. You're better off going to elrics which is in Mediah. I know this because I've been -1m karma many times. So no it's not a home for bandits.

also, in this so called bandit zone, it's actually more safe than the lawful place. It's ironic but true, if someone flags on you and you kill him, or if he kills you, you can just respawn 10 seconds away and your enemy has a 30 minutes debuff allowing you and everyone else to kill him and jail him making the guy waste 30-60+ minutes.

then we have the useless bandit town. Completely useless. Very small, isolated, waste of time.

Then we have pila ku which is okay if you have decent gear and one friend to duo with. But still, the long trek there is just not worth it compared to other grindspots easier to access.

then we have Valencia, the only good thing it is for is to TP guildmates there for crates and stock with potions and water for maids, that's it.

then it has an even more useless town further east.

Then we have hidden night time layten mobs, that drops another type of ogre ring. The difference is how inconvenient it is to farm these guys compared to ogres who are close, always spawns and have an easy rotation.

I could go on. The portals, the mobs there drop decent silver if you have a dedicated party of 5 to grind there. It's risky as they can kill you but it's just too taxing to both be alert for the mobs and always making a party. Besides it's not much different than pirates either.

I can go on and on but there's no point. 

Bashims and Gahaz bandits are okay, along elite hunting but that's pretty much it and it'd not any better than already existing areas.

I get what you're saying, but I really have to disagree. Largely because I think filling the desert chock full of players would do it a disservice. If you made everything out there better exp and better money than the old world grind spots...we'd have people complaining that Valencia is too packed. Giving incentives for people to go back west, giving them reasons to run back down to Trent and grind out a few ogres in the Mansha Forest or back to Mediah to grind karma as you said, allows for a bigger and more open map. I will concede that Sausans is an issue, but that's not really got any weight on Valencia's worth imo.

People do go to Valencia, a lot. It may not be the most efficient in terms of money and karma, but does it need to be? I don't personally believe a game should be designed around folk whose main focus in a game is to maximize silver/hr. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Quests that reward 30% bonus EXP for 2 hours in Muiquun (the negative karma "bandit town"). So that's not totally useless. Those can be stacked with the villas which are also a nice benefit of grinding Valencia spots as well. 

The benefits of not losing gems, enchants, or EXP when negative is a positive in many player's eyes, at least in my circles. Most of the -1mil players that I know rarely if ever get sent to jail, because they didn't get to -1mil by being weak or underleveled. 

Posted

Good, I like my desert empty. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Risk vs. Reward in Valencia (and Kama) is completely out of balance when compared against Pirates (or Sausan).

Would I rather...

1. Farm Pirates
    1. Great Experience
    2. Nearly zero risk of death with good gear, even when the servers are taking a crap
    3. Great profit (Silver/Coins/Tokens)
  2. Farm Anything in Valencia
    1. Moderate to Ok Experience, often held back for most players by their TTK. Many of the places that give higher experience in turn give less profit.
    2. Almost anything in Valencia can kill you if the servers take a crap, which they've been doing more recently.
    3. Moderate to Ok profit, but higher profits tend to come with lower experience
    4. Low chance of getting a gold accessory drop that is devalued from it's maximum value by a developer who constantly gives them away in free monthly boxes

It's an easy choice. If you have the strength to hold a pirate grind spot, you are given a more balanced reward for that grind verse the Valencia grind spots. There isn't a single grind spot in Valencia that is going to give you the same income AND experience as Pirates if you have moderate to average player gear. The problem with Valencia has always remained the same, but they've never actually fixed it.

Posted

only thing hold me back from the desert is the gear requirements.. seems rest of the lvling experience (pre lvl 56) and gear (enchanting ect) go hand to hand (pretty easy and smooth income from lving and selling trash).. Then u see the required GS and then ya look at ya bank.. *nope cant afford to go there yet* So ya stick to sausans, pirates, life skills until ya can afford to go out there. (RNGuesus can be brutal when trying to  enchant ya gear) 

Posted

I like the empty desert especially for grinding.

Posted

In KR and JP Valencia is pretty crowded. 

But I do think that the big empty desert is a bad design, they need to add at least one major oasis town in the middle of the huge desert.

Posted

But I do think that the big empty desert is a bad design, they need to add at least one major oasis town in the middle of the huge desert.

I think that would be Valencia. There's also a smaller oasis pit stop in the northern part of the desert that's west of Valencia that has a few traders and a place to collect water, etc. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I think that would be Valencia. There's also a smaller oasis pit stop in the northern part of the desert that's west of Valencia that has a few traders and a place to collect water, etc. 

I meant in the middle of the desert. Valencia is more like out of the desert. It would be nice to have a huge oasis city in between Bazaar and Valencia.

Posted

Dead city with too many wheelbarrow/guide this snailpace mofo somewhere dailies.

A questline that involves ridiculous travel lengths which is aggravated by...

Masked map with no autopath.

Camels are useless everywhere except sand and aren't even that quick across the sand.

Debuffs in masked map. Tea/water should provide us with a few minutes where we won't get the debuff. Sick and tired of drinking tea/water only to get the debuff a second later.

Mobs which are not dense enough, financially or levellingly (I made that word up, deal with it) rewarding considering the issues mentioned above.

You could tolerate most of the downsides if the rewards were worthwhile. Sadly the developers decided to leave sausans/pirates the far superior choice.

1 person likes this

Posted

Too much travel time/Too easy to get lost is also a factor y ppl don't bother with Valencia. Unless u have a shit ton of maids Valencia is pretty stressing to farm. It's not undo-able but u'd fine a lot less stress in just farming at pirates.

Posted

One of the things that would make Valencia a great place.

Posted

to much sand, no map and the fact you need water/tea so you wont die. !!!to much realistic stuff isnt fun!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

I get what you're saying, but I really have to disagree. Largely because I think filling the desert chock full of players would do it a disservice. If you made everything out there better exp and better money than the old world grind spots...we'd have people complaining that Valencia is too packed. Giving incentives for people to go back west, giving them reasons to run back down to Trent and grind out a few ogres in the Mansha Forest or back to Mediah to grind karma as you said, allows for a bigger and more open map. I will concede that Sausans is an issue, but that's not really got any weight on Valencia's worth imo.

People do go to Valencia, a lot. It may not be the most efficient in terms of money and karma, but does it need to be? I don't personally believe a game should be designed around folk whose main focus in a game is to maximize silver/hr. 

on the flip side, encouraging 200 GS and 500+GS level 52-62 players to compete for the SAME grind spot is pretty much a big no no.

and ofcourse it needs to be, players WILL gravitate to areas where they can get the most benefit. and you Have to separate the population depending on their gear in order to avoid frustration all around.
I mean, i can flip the question around, is it sane to promote level 62 500+ gear score players to compete for the same grind spot as level 51-56 200-350 GS? i think not.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Its not about maximizing silver/hour, it would make sense if one spot was money, one was exp and one was scrolls(Even tho that in itself wouldnt be a great solution)

However the issue is that the mob density of all places(beside fogans) is bad, that in itself wouldnt be a problem if the mobs at least gave more exp/money/karma in return, but they dont, infact they give less, its 30 karma per mob in valencia, Mediah gives 100, in every part of it.

Sausans and pirates gives more money via regular trash/coin drop too. Lets not even talk about drops, beside Rocaba and Crescent Rings, Valencia mobs dont drop anything highly sought after, and those drops are so damn rare as well.

And then you add to it that the density is extremely higher for most of Mediah that the karma you get back is not just way faster cause its 3x more per mob but also  cause you kill 3-5 more mobs per attack. Same goes for Trashdrops. Or chance to get rare drops, killing more mobs equals a higher chance after all.

Valencia is terrible, on an extreme level, despite the mobs being more difficult it gives way less payout in EVERYTHING than Mediah does. Infact if the mobs were easier you could say that Valencia is for low levels and Mediah is for high levels, just judging by the drops, karma and exp.

And this is a huge issue thats been present for over 9months already, Valencia is easily half the map of BDO, yet it is mostly useless to people. Its quite literally "here is more content, that is worse than everything we gave you before" which results in a wall for players that creates a lot of boredom and doubt into the games progression.

The design of Valencia is beautiful, I especially love Cadrys, but its just simply not worth the time.

And as explained in another thread already, the jump from 0 payout and rather easymode Valencia to Kamasylve or Valencia Aakmans is quite..steep. There are so many different Valencia mob areas that it boggles your mind why they didnt make it a normal progression from low ap/dp/lvl to high ap/dp/lvl. Instead its all easymode and then suddenly hardcore mode(with a shitty payout)

How so? I remember someone said yesterday its cause they get a daily droprate scroll, but why not use that in other areas instead? Or is there a different reason?

Edited by 2cute2shoot

Posted

Is it really that crowded though? o.O

I only see them PvP over Pila Ku main spot, watching Korean players in Valencia lol.

I'm pretty sure most of them still go Sausan than Pirates also.

This game needs to grasp the concept of risk v.s reward imo. Kamasyliva seems even worse than Valencia, when it comes to high risk + poor loot. But yeah, they could definitely do more with the desert.

I feel they sometimes take "immersion" a little to far, creating big inconvenience instead of adding extra layers to gameplay. Valencia grind spots is a good example of that.

But I also suspect it's related to capping silver /hour and preventing inflation getting more out of control. If all grind spots where easy to get to and with had max profit, everyone would be making crazy money and especially in regions with easy accessible % drop scrolls. Not an excuse for mediocre maps, but think it's one of many explanations.

Posted

The city would be cool if its design didn't remind everyone of a criminal cult.

Posted

Debuffs in masked map. Tea/water should provide us with a few minutes where we won't get the debuff. Sick and tired of drinking tea/water only to get the debuff a second later.

This. It's just a huge pain in the ass unless you are a witch/wizard.