• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

BDO makes a truly wretched first impression

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes, I'm mad. =)

This is feedback, so to anyone interested, take it as such. =)

I uninstalled BDO a moment ago. I bought it a few weeks after it launched, then never really played it until about a week ago...and after 30 or so hours "played" in that week, well, as my younger friend (I'm 50) often says  "Yeah...I think I'm over this." So sadly, I shan't be one of the new players the game seems to be courting, nor can I recommend it to anyone else.

PROS: The game is beautiful, I mean kick-me-in-the-'nads-and-take-my-breath-away beautiful. The combat is fluid.

CONS: Everything else.

Three problems:

A) It has THE MOST convoluted, nit-picky, inscrutable, clunky mechanics I've ever seen in a game...and I ran a 0.0 corp in EVE Online. I spent more time looking up *how* to play the game  than I spent playing it, and I came away from most of my research and game play thinking, "Seriously? Why does accomplishing anything need a half-dozen menu screens? Why do I have to look up 3 different videos just to learn how to purify water?? Or 2 videos and a few forum posts to learn how to hitch a horse to a wagon???" Every little mundane action, e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g has to be googled, read up on, and studied.

B) Other than the Rube Goldberg game mechanics, there is zero challenge to anything. Killing mobs is safe and easy. Travel is safe and easy. Figuring out HOW to do things is the hardest part. Actually *doing it* is just a simple time sink, with little to no active participation required. Which leads into...

C) The game doesn't want you to play very much. An overwhelming amount of its activities are done while you sleep, i.e. AFK fishing, AFK running, AFK crafting, AFK gathering, etc etc.

I have a massive amount of experience playing MMOs, probably 30+, save World of Warcraft (yuck!)...from Everquest to DAoC to EVE (wanna talk convoluted?), Auto-Assault, City of Heroes/Villains, AION, DCUO, Age of Conan...and a whole pile of others. None of them has ever made me quit in a fit of disgust before, I usually just got bored or my friends all migrated to another game. I love the ideas in BDO, they seem brilliant...until you actually play it. Then it's painful.

New players; avoid. Avoid like the blackest of black plagues unless, of course, you find the UI and menu screens to be the most interesting aspect of your games, in which case...yeah, avoid it anyway.

5 people like this

Posted

giphy.gif

11 people like this

Posted

Dude you just saved yourself a huge headache. In the end, even IF you could get over everything you could just mention (which a lot of people can)

YOUD STILL have to deal with desync. You'd be like all of us who sped our way through PVE and got to pvp at the end, where we find out that this game has some of the worst servers ive ever seen in a game. We were playing with better servers back when DOOM first came out. I kid you not, in PVP you litterally rubber band in every fight. IDK how people are ok with that here

Posted

Dude you just saved yourself a huge headache.

I know. I felt a wave of relief when I clicked Uninstall. Usually I feel disappointment when I quit a game, and I sometimes second guess my decision. Not this time. :) 

Posted (edited)

1-50 is basically the tutorial, that's why it seemed super easy. On the flip side though the combat in this game is probably too fast paced for someone as old as you, so you are probably making the right decision, orbitting the red crosses in Eve online might be more your kind of pace.

Edited by Kozuka
9 people like this

Posted (edited)

The only reason people are still playing BDO is cause there's no other mmo like it out right now. Hell, it's the only reason I'm still playing. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone either.

Edited by Zodiac
9 people like this

Posted

Why did you watch 3 different videos on how to create purified water, just check on the bdodatabase on how to do it, its in the description

1 person likes this

Posted

1-50 is basically the tutorial, that's why it seemed super easy. On the flip side though the combat in this game is probably to fast paced for someone as old as you, so you are probably making the right decision. 

Mmm, no, the combat is fine. It's all the hilarious "Click here, there, and there...now click this...now drag that there...now click this, buy this, that, and one of those, drag it there, now click on this and this and this, YAY you have a wagon with a horse!" nonsense that made me quit. My problem is things being too slow, not too fast. =)

Posted (edited)

Funny that you mention eve. I've been playing eve for years and I had absolutly no issues learning how BDO works. Tbh eve was way harder to learn. That was back when there wasn't much tutorials and you just had to either ask ppl or just ... try stuff out.

BDO is clunky here and there but that's you main reason to leave it? Connecting horses to a wagon is one of the aweful things you mentioned. I agree, it could be made much better ... much much better actually. Still, I didn't have to google to learn how to do it ... I just tried it out. And after finding out (which was annoying to be sure) I knew how it works so no more trying to figure it out. It seems more to me that you want stuff put in front of you on a gold platter. Again, it could have been made much more user friendly but just trying stuff out works too.

About the AFK stuff. How does crafting work again in eve? How does mining? I'm sure you're on of those who actually mine actively lol. Doing missions worse than grinding in BDO imo. Fly carrier in -> smartbomb the shit out of everything -> send a few drones here and there -> loot -> NEXT ... super exciting. Comparing Nullsec to BDO is stupid anyway. Wanna bubble up Heidel? Corp management in Eve is the worst thing I've even seen interface-wise.

I'm not trying to defend bdo even tho I've been playing it since Headstart. BDO has tons of flaws. All the issues you have are part of the learning curve. Compared to eve BDO is a walk in the park.

Why did you watch 3 different videos on how to create purified water, just check on the bdodatabase on how to do it, its in the description

doesn't help if he doesn't know about the site

Edited by Sohaki
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

doesn't help if he doesn't know about the site

Theres also the ingame wiki(F2), everyone should know about that one, even if its just by an accidental F2 Press. You can search for purified water there and it'll tell you the same thing.

Maybe we need flashing letters on the screen after all

Edited by 2cute2shoot

Posted

Theres also the ingame wiki(F2), everyone should know about that one, even if its just by an accidental F2 Press. You can search for purified water there and it'll tell you the same thing.

Very true, forgot about that. Does the game ever tell you that there's that wiki?

Posted

Very true, forgot about that. Does the game ever tell you that there's that wiki?

Tooltip bar below the Chat box does every now and then. Its also in the "help" screen.

Posted (edited)

That is least of my problems of this game.

It's not like bdodatabase is hard to use. And once you learn something new you remember it for next time. In 2-weeks nothing is new anymore. Even energy farming is easy because you have: http://bddatabase.net/us/knowledge/

Problem with bdo and why I quit it is because it's boring grind. Like you said farming mobs is not challanging but you do it to upgrade your gear. Everything you do in this game is for silver to get rich and buy better upgrades. 

But upgrades for what? For massive enchanting rng which will absolutely destroy you. If you fail enchant you lose 1-month worth of farming. And for what do we enchant for? It's not like pvp matters because we don't have arenas and nolifers who play game 16-hour / day will absolutely 2-shot you while ccd..

This game is like combat simulator with no real purpouse. It looks complicated outside but once you get hang of it it's simplistic with no challanging content.

Oh and did I mention how bad lore is in this game? After playing games like skyrim or witcher3 for so long this gave me headcancer with all this triggerhappy weaboos bouncing around.

Edited by Defq

Posted

I agree. EVE is way more complex as a player. As a corp leader, it's astronomically more complex still. Even so, it's more structured, and although there's a lot more knowledge you need to know, it's all presented right there, in the game. There's very little of BDO's "Oh, they don't explain that...you have to google it" nonsense. Videos and whatnot are beneficial, not absolutely required.

Oh, and "Handed to me on a silver platter"? No, no no no, not at all. I just want my challenges to come from the game world, not from trying to understand the game's poor design choices and atrocious UI. Hell, BDO doing most of the playing for me is one of the reasons I don't like it.  :)

Posted

Ever tryed to press the ? question mark wich is everywhere in every Tab??? it is a direct link to Black desert database or something compararable, instead of skipping the tutorial in the beginning and even tryed to watch these???? That black spirit is not for nothing.

Jeez........ 

No words even if you are 50+ even my dad is smarter or more curious then you and wil learn on itself.

Posted

A lot of the pain (not all of it) does have reasoning behind it. For example wagons are more difficult than just buying a wagon because you have so many options with it, and the horses you put on it again exp and such. A lot of the time the mechanics are a pain to learn, but it's useful when doing something else.

Then there's a bunch of bullshit for what seems to have no reasoning at all, but every game has a few of those. It only takes a week or 2 then most things make sense.

Posted (edited)

I enjoy learning things about this game, it seems quite intricate for a kmmo, everything connects to something else. I just sat looking the bdo database in game for a while...not only do they have that but they have crafting notes, that tell you what makes what. Wow I have to learn how to play a game, who woulda thought

Edited by (◕‿‿◕。)
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yes, I'm mad. =)

This is feedback, so to anyone interested, take it as such. =)

I uninstalled BDO a moment ago. I bought it a few weeks after it launched, then never really played it until about a week ago...and after 30 or so hours "played" in that week, well, as my younger friend (I'm 50) often says  "Yeah...I think I'm over this." So sadly, I shan't be one of the new players the game seems to be courting, nor can I recommend it to anyone else.

PROS: The game is beautiful, I mean kick-me-in-the-'nads-and-take-my-breath-away beautiful. The combat is fluid.

CONS: Everything else.

Three problems:

A) It has THE MOST convoluted, nit-picky, inscrutable, clunky mechanics I've ever seen in a game...and I ran a 0.0 corp in EVE Online. I spent more time looking up *how* to play the game  than I spent playing it, and I came away from most of my research and game play thinking, "Seriously? Why does accomplishing anything need a half-dozen menu screens? Why do I have to look up 3 different videos just to learn how to purify water?? Or 2 videos and a few forum posts to learn how to hitch a horse to a wagon???" Every little mundane action, e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g has to be googled, read up on, and studied.

B) Other than the Rube Goldberg game mechanics, there is zero challenge to anything. Killing mobs is safe and easy. Travel is safe and easy. Figuring out HOW to do things is the hardest part. Actually *doing it* is just a simple time sink, with little to no active participation required. Which leads into...

C) The game doesn't want you to play very much. An overwhelming amount of its activities are done while you sleep, i.e. AFK fishing, AFK running, AFK crafting, AFK gathering, etc etc.

I have a massive amount of experience playing MMOs, probably 30+, save World of Warcraft (yuck!)...from Everquest to DAoC to EVE (wanna talk convoluted?), Auto-Assault, City of Heroes/Villains, AION, DCUO, Age of Conan...and a whole pile of others. None of them has ever made me quit in a fit of disgust before, I usually just got bored or my friends all migrated to another game. I love the ideas in BDO, they seem brilliant...until you actually play it. Then it's painful.

New players; avoid. Avoid like the blackest of black plagues unless, of course, you find the UI and menu screens to be the most interesting aspect of your games, in which case...yeah, avoid it anyway.

Funny you say that cuz to me I felt EvE was far more complex and required me to study things more carefully to understand "how to play", while in this game everything went more or less on rails. The game also brings much new to the mmorpg genre, the little tidbits such as managing your CPs via world map is a fantastic minigame in itself, and new is good and will make this game longlasting. It's rather harsh and narrowminded to tell new potential players to shy away when the game truly is a gem.

Edited by Nacario
3 people like this

Posted

I liked the game, I still play it, but only because I came so far, that I want to push it a little more and experience PvP in following few months and then I quit. Its not begginer friendly, catching up game. Not well designed. Not recommending either.

Posted (edited)

Eve online really if that game is so great why are you playing this. Let guess some toxic corporation that's been around since the begin of game grief you out of the game. Because from what i have heard and seen in you tube videos it is beyond toxic to new players. The games powerful corporations and alliances controlled everything in the game and new players are use as form of amusement by old players. I have only heard bad things about that game and it's player community. 

Now considering how much players whiny and moan on forums everyday. Also fact the fact that anyone can use the forums including people that got ban or just are generally salty about game. I really take everything said on forums with grain salt. Now is game perfect no and it does have its pro and cons so it's really up to the individual. As for why I play the game HD waifus are best. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Edited by Dalenos
1 person likes this

Posted

@Beeferina i love all these players coming here playing to lvl 30, checking 1 quest and saying it is a horrible game because not everything is handed over to them ... but we thank you for your feedback.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

lol the main reason why i am not recommending this game to any1 is the grind. I cant tell people to come and play with me, but before you can even touch my character grind a billion hours and mahby (if rng was on ur side) u can do some dmg on the current player curve and not be oneshot within 6 months

Edited by Leozyo

Posted (edited)

All I see is definitive proof that running a 0.0 corp doesn't take a lot of intelligence.

Edited by Sibyyl
3 people like this

Posted

I love this game and I've been playing since launch.

I've still got tons of things to do, tons of alts to level and awaken. There's so much I've barely touched on and it's now a year later.

I've also played tons of mmos but there's nothing as good as this out there (IMO anyway). Have I had to look stuff up to learn how to do it - yup and I think that's part of it's charm. Anything which is too simple to do will become boring quickly too. It amazes me how many people hate this game but everywhere I go in game (towns) are absolutely packed out. So they must be doing something right. people rush off to the level cap when they should take more time to look around and enjoy the scenery.

Of course there's plenty of things to fix and improve but for a game as good as this I can forgive most of them (although the servers do need fixing and the cash shop is way to expensive)

Still it wont suit everyone and isn't that why life is good - if we all liked the same things wouldn't it be boring!

5 people like this

Posted

op complains that the tutorial quests are too basic and at the same time he cant understand how to do things ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 people like this