• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Classes Other Than Sword Classes.

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I like the classes in BDO, but there's been a pattern I've been noticing with their character announcements with the exception of the new "Striker" class they're putting out - which looks actually pretty cool. It's just ... The next teaser for the female class that made me realize the magic of... 
S w o r d s. 
Practically many of the classes are sword-based classes. DK, Musa/Maewha, Tamer, Kuno/Ninja, Valk/Warrior to be specific. 
Making ranged classes are difficult, especially given the lore. I get that. But what about other types of weapons that would fit in the game? The Beserker has dual war axes which is a nice change in melee. With the current lore, you could add other classes that have weapons like maces, shields (if you ever played Lord of the Fallen or Dark Souls, you might know those very large shields associated with clerics essentially). You could also have a bard class - there's instruments already in the game, necromancers, old-type guns even (since alchemy is a thing, the guns would be rather steampunk-like, similar to a gunblade). Even a crossbow to have a male ranged class would be good. 

Do you guys have any other ideas for potential classes? It's been hard thinking about ranged classes to fit in the lore, and having variety I feel would help the game and others with different playstyles in melee combat do their thing (like the differences in kuno playstyles and warrior playstyles) 

Posted

I like swords.

Posted

I like swords.

I do too, but there's a lot of sword classes. 
Maces, 
Flail, Halberd, Katar, War Hammer, Gunstock War Clubs...  Lances, Tonfas, Patas, and so much more that could give more diversity. 
If we cound awakenings, sure. There's a bit more, but just a slight bit and I'm sure playing to 56 to play one different weapon that isn't a sword isn't everyone's cup of tea. There's just so much that can fit with the lore and the game and I feel would play really well with the other classes - 

Also considering the ratio of sword classes to the one ranged character - then three four magic users (DK being magic too, but close-ranged and with a sword and not a staff), it feels a bit lacking. Striker will have a very unique role, like Beserk I feel. Poor beserk became an amputee  for our sins

Posted

I like the classes in BDO, but there's been a pattern I've been noticing with their character announcements with the exception of the new "Striker" class they're putting out - which looks actually pretty cool. It's just ... The next teaser for the female class that made me realize the magic of... 
S w o r d s. 
Practically many of the classes are sword-based classes. DK, Musa/Maewha, Tamer, Kuno/Ninja, Valk/Warrior to be specific. 
Making ranged classes are difficult, especially given the lore. I get that. But what about other types of weapons that would fit in the game? The Beserker has dual war axes which is a nice change in melee. With the current lore, you could add other classes that have weapons like maces, shields (if you ever played Lord of the Fallen or Dark Souls, you might know those very large shields associated with clerics essentially). You could also have a bard class - there's instruments already in the game, necromancers, old-type guns even (since alchemy is a thing, the guns would be rather steampunk-like, similar to a gunblade). Even a crossbow to have a male ranged class would be good. 

Do you guys have any other ideas for potential classes? It's been hard thinking about ranged classes to fit in the lore, and having variety I feel would help the game and others with different playstyles in melee combat do their thing (like the differences in kuno playstyles and warrior playstyles) 

Musa/maewha post awakening mostly spears....
Kuno Chakram def not a sword
Tamer Staff....
Valk.... Lance

They added a lot of diversity post awakening.  Where most classes play.

But for the sake of argument

You listed 8 classes as having sword based combat...
Witch/wizard/sorc/striker/zerker/ranger all don't use swords as their base.

theres only two classes more that have swords... not overly lopsided if you ask me and even more so if you think about awakenings.

This game is so diverse with weapons and class function vs anything out there.  And they are adding another TWO classes here very very soon.  One that has no weapons and one that looks to maybe have some type of small thin weapon with rope?  idk.

Potential other classes umm dwarf with a big hammer comes to mind, they are already in the game could easily be a class.  That's it off the top of my head.

Posted

Indeed there are many sword based classes in BDO, a male crossbow counter part for ranger would be nice.

Maybe a class with Nunchakus or a Enchantress with a book instead of a staff or amulet. Further in my mind A Tiger based class (Claws), or old Egyptian weapons like sickle-sword and Dual Kris Daggers (From the movie: The Mummy) because the world is ..... Dessert.

Posted

i would like to see some wolverine claws or some illidan blades or some kratos chained swords :D  even a dual wield swords would do for me!

Posted

I just wish they'd make a class with Bheg's chain.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why not both? Slap a gun on dat sword for added badassery. 

Posted

Musa/maewha post awakening mostly spears....Kuno Chakram def not a sword
Tamer Staff....
Valk.... Lance

They added a lot of diversity post awakening.  Where most classes play.

But for the sake of argument

You listed 8 classes as having sword based combat...
Witch/wizard/sorc/striker/zerker/ranger all don't use swords as their base.

theres only two classes more that have swords... not overly lopsided if you ask me and even more so if you think about awakenings.

This game is so diverse with weapons and class function vs anything out there.  And they are adding another TWO classes here very very soon.  One that has no weapons and one that looks to maybe have some type of small thin weapon with rope?  idk.

Potential other classes umm dwarf with a big hammer comes to mind, they are already in the game could easily be a class.  That's it off the top of my head.

As I said previously in another comment, if we count awakenings I guess you could say that yes, there's more than swords in these classes but I'm sure no one is going to sit around to 56 just because they specifically wanted to play one type of weapon and playstyle, especially if they don't like the original playstyle which is a bit unfortunate (for example, I wanted to like the Valkyrie. I love the Lance - but I really really dislike how she plays so I don't want to grind to 56 just for ONE weapon if that makes sense). 

What I meant to say is that there should be more classes that are alternatives to simply swords as their base, not exactly their awakening. Lots of RPGs and MMOs have a system anyway where you change slightly but you're for the most part the same class, and BDO's kind of the same. An "evolution" of sorts if you know what I mean. 

Witches, Wizards, and Sorcerers - if we don't count the DK in this equation, are the only Magic-based classes that offer long-range combat if you don't like being that up close and personal, but not much after that and Sorcerers get a Scythe for more close-combat type of scenarios. 

Then there's just one ranged class, ranger, if we don't count the Beserker. The Beserker amputates himself and becomes a ranged class I guess if you want to count that - painful for our Zerk, but he's really unique and that's partially why I love his class so much. It's different. And well, we know the ranger's awakening...Daggerplay. I hope this makes a little bit more sense and clear here, I didn't want you to get the wrong idea!

As for the Striker, I genuinely can't wait for him to come out - buttt he's not out yet OTL 
The teaser image appears that it looks like she has what it appears to be a samurai sword, but I'm hoping that ribbon gets put into something of her combat- it would be so interesting. As for the idea with dwarves, I think that would work (and besides, I feel like we might be getting that race and/or the smaller people race (forgot their name) that are in florin). 

Indeed there are many sword based classes in BDO, a male crossbow counter part for ranger would be nice.

Maybe a class with Nunchakus or a Enchantress with a book instead of a staff or amulet. Further in my mind A Tiger based class (Claws), or old Egyptian weapons like sickle-sword and Dual Kris Daggers (From the movie: The Mummy) because the world is ..... Dessert.

I think this would work - especially the Egyptian weapons and book. I had to look up what a nunchaku is because I didn't know that was the real name for those weapons, but that's pretty neat too and think it could work with the lore. 

i would like to see some wolverine claws or some illidan blades or some kratos chained swords :D  even a dual wield swords would do for me!

Not sure if the wolverine claws would work, but the others I think would given the lore!

I just wish they'd make a class with Bheg's chain.

Honestly that would be badass, would end up rerolling to play that shite all day erryday. 

Why not both? Slap a gun on dat sword for added badassery. 

It's actually a thing in history too so it's even more badass ~o~
And this lmao

Image result for gunblade

Posted

As I said previously in another comment, if we count awakenings I guess you could say that yes, there's more than swords in these classes but I'm sure no one is going to sit around to 56 just because they specifically wanted to play one type of weapon and playstyle, especially if they don't like the original playstyle which is a bit unfortunate (for example, I wanted to like the Valkyrie. I love the Lance - but I really really dislike how she plays so I don't want to grind to 56 just for ONE weapon if that makes sense). 

What I meant to say is that there should be more classes that are alternatives to simply swords as their base, not exactly their awakening. Lots of RPGs and MMOs have a system anyway where you change slightly but you're for the most part the same class, and BDO's kind of the same. An "evolution" of sorts if you know what I mean. 

Witches, Wizards, and Sorcerers - if we don't count the DK in this equation, are the only Magic-based classes that offer long-range combat if you don't like being that up close and personal, but not much after that and Sorcerers get a Scythe for more close-combat type of scenarios. 

Then there's just one ranged class, ranger, if we don't count the Beserker. The Beserker amputates himself and becomes a ranged class I guess if you want to count that - painful for our Zerk, but he's really unique and that's partially why I love his class so much. It's different. And well, we know the ranger's awakening...Daggerplay. I hope this makes a little bit more sense and clear here, I didn't want you to get the wrong idea!

As for the Striker, I genuinely can't wait for him to come out - buttt he's not out yet OTL 
The teaser image appears that it looks like she has what it appears to be a samurai sword, but I'm hoping that ribbon gets put into something of her combat- it would be so interesting. As for the idea with dwarves, I think that would work (and besides, I feel like we might be getting that race and/or the smaller people race (forgot their name) that are in florin). 

I think this would work - especially the Egyptian weapons and book. I had to look up what a nunchaku is because I didn't know that was the real name for those weapons, but that's pretty neat too and think it could work with the lore. 

Not sure if the wolverine claws would work, but the others I think would given the lore!

Honestly that would be badass, would end up rerolling to play that shite all day erryday. 

It's actually a thing in history too so it's even more badass ~o~
And this lmao

Image result for gunblade

Well I'm just saying that because in your post above mine you literally listed off all the weapons that pretty much already exist in this game lol.

We have scythes, lances,shields, greatswords, shortswords, cannons, axes, Spears, bo staff, magic staff, samurai swords, kunai, throwing stars, sword mage, mage spheres, pets, golems, chakram, daggers, bows, magical gloves, axes, and soon just plain old fist ass kickery.

This game legit has nearly everything you listed without getting too fcking crazy and out of the world of BDO. 

Posted

Dagger is also a sword 😎and its the new bow

Posted

I vote they make a class with tanfas and then a class that uses chains as a weapon. That would be pretty fun for both of them tbh. OOO maybe some Sais as well :D and id be down for a kusarigama as well. 

Posted

S w o r d s. 

i saw this when picking up the game, the reason i went wizard with its dagger

Posted

A class with smaller axe/axes could be cool too (Ebony War Axe from Skyrim was my favourite)

1 person likes this

Posted

Would like to see sorcerer with shackles (mid & long range)

Posted

my butterknife is also a sword. i have no problem with so many swords, it is the medieval weapon for a reason. sometimes i wish a real western class with a halberd. thats would be nice. Like the Lawbringer from For Honor. a real knight not what the Musa is supposed to be. as well im okay with females but the lance of the valkyrie is just awkward and never had existed in this usage.

1 person likes this

Posted

And guess what... Even weapons which aint a sword have blade! O_O Is even worse right? When will we get a hammer? (no dwarfs!!! i want big hammer for someone in giants size...)

Posted (edited)

There is an upcoming class called the Striker that is probbly released for Korea right now. It's a brawl-based class, with only the gauntlets. No weapons, just gauntlets to boot.

And then another female class.

Edited by Skullcatron

Posted

Well i think in a medieval based game, sword is the base, no ?

Posted

I wanted ninja with Kama or chain.

Posted

Practically many of the classes are sword-based classes.

Sword was the most popular and the most effective and universal weapon before firearms.

Posted (edited)

Well i think in a medieval based game, sword is the base, no ?

Are we not going to talk about this boy . There was more to medieval times - and fantasy games, other than swords lol. 

Sword was the most popular and the most effective and universal weapon before firearms.

I'm sure a magical staff was used before firearms too. Aside from my sarcastic comment, yes. It was. But it's not the only weapon and you should take into consideration this is also a fantasy game with cool monsters, deer people, goblins... That's why, while it was the most popular, it wasn't the only weapon to be used, and like the variation in environments and with monsters I feel the same should also be for the classes coming forward. There's no need to change what we have - they're good. It's just the teaser image of the female class is seen with another sword, and I'm just a tad worried there's just going to be more swords, swords, swords, and not other variations. Just a tad. 

Well I'm just saying that because in your post above mine you literally listed off all the weapons that pretty much already exist in this game lol.
We have scythes, lances,shields, greatswords, shortswords, cannons, axes, Spears, bo staff, magic staff, samurai swords, kunai, throwing stars, sword mage, mage spheres, pets, golems, chakram, daggers, bows, magical gloves, axes, and soon just plain old fist ass kickery.

This game legit has nearly everything you listed without getting too fcking crazy and out of the world of BDO. 

Scythes is an awakening weapon. Lances are an awakening weapon. Greatswords are an awakening weapon not counting DK. Canon is an awakening weapon.. Bo Staff is an awakening weapon. Golems are an awakening weapon. Chakram is an awakening weapon. 

Shields are not the equivalent to the shields like these that I was thinking more of. 

Shortswords and regular swords are a weapon for many classes.

Axes are for the beserker (which I emphasize again, I love Beserker because it's different than the other melee classes and stands out - other than his appearance. His appearance is... well.. Very different

Magic staff is only for two classes that act very similar except for their awakening.

Samurai swords are for two classes as their base - still a sword though as I was saying. Kunais and throwing stars, sure.

Sword mage - I assume this is where we put the DK in place.

For pets, no. Pets are not for combat - they just pick your stuff up unless you're counting the tamer - which is only one pet.

Daggers are given to a lot of the classes as a side weapon.

There's only one character to use the bow effectively, then there's the musa/maewha that have it as a side and don't use it often.

Magical gloves... I assume you mean the Sorcerer's weapon - but that's not exactly a magical glove.

Axes you just said again lol. 

These are the ones I listed above your comment: Maces, Flail, Halberd, Katar, War Hammer, Gunstock War Clubs...  Lances, Tonfas, Patas...
War Hammers are not equal to the battle axes of the Beserker and are larger in size - usually you only have enough strength to have one.

Maces, we do not have. Lances are the only one and possibly the Halberd that are in the game, the others are not or is an enemy's weapon - not a player character's weapon lol.

If we're just going with melee, here's some cool weapons from other games that can fit with the lore of this game and give a differing playstyle, because again, there's some pretty cool awakenings...

But they're awakenings.

They're not the main weapon that you grind to 56 with - which can be lackluster for some people that don't particularly like the original class but want the weapon of their awakening. I would like differences with the main weapon because I genuinely, again, enjoy the game, but with just swords there's a lack of variation and makes it lackluster. Striker's pretty cool as a character because it's different, again like I said, just like the Beserker.  

Image result for Character with katar

Dual katars

Image result for Lords of the fallen cleric

A Mace with a large shield, though this image shows a medium one. In "Lords of the Fallen" and "Dark Souls," you can obtain a bigger shield. 

Related image

Warhammers

Image result for chain weapon game

This chain, or alternatively:

Related image

So similar to Izanami perhaps from Smite?

SkinArt Izanami Default.jpg Link to wiki: http://smite.gamepedia.com/Izanami 

Let's be honest, wizards and witches are Op with dat dagger. Playing as that class is pretty fun. 

Edited by Kitsu289
The "boy" in the link wasn't the boy I meant to link. Ripperoni.

Posted (edited)

Not sure why you need to double down on your absurd argument after someone has gone point by point describing the large number of non-sword weapons in the game.

"I don't want to grind to 56" says everything here..

Edited by Sibyyl
1 person likes this

Posted

More like Akali from league but yea, then maybe instead of shuriken  a chain harpoon like scorpion from mortal combat.

Posted (edited)

Not sure why you need to double down on your absurd argument after someone has gone point by point describing the large number of non-sword weapons in the game.

"I don't want to grind to 56" days everything here..

It's not absurd - not really the point of this thread either to be honest. I was saying that for the majority of your time in the beginning with a class, you're given only few classes at the start that do not begin with a sword, which are Beserker, Witch/Wiz, Sorcerer, and Ranger in comparison to Musa/Maewha, Tamer, Warrior/Valk, Ninja/Kuno at the moment - and Striker is a nice change to see.  My example was my personal experience with the valk. class. I'm sure many do enjoy her, and I'm happy for them if they do. I just don't feel like I should force myself to 56 to play a weapon I might not even like. If there was a test to play the awakening weapon and try it alongside - like a demo perhaps to see how they play at the start- then sure. I think that would be rather fair, so you know what you're getting into.  Seeing someone else play is an alternative, but it's not as great as trying it themselves. That's not an argument, it's my own feelings and opinions, and you are free to disagree with that.

The goal in this thread that I genuinely wanted to see is more ideas that, sure, can involve a bladed melee weapon, but different variants at the start so it's not just swords, swords, swords until 56 - only to switch from swords to the awakening weapon. The variation would simply help and allow a lot more playtypes and styles to join the world, and would make PVP a bit more interesting and fun, especially in a midevial fantasy game. 

More like Akali from league but yea, then maybe instead of shuriken  a chain harpoon like scorpion from mortal combat.

I haven't seen that character yet in league, but I know Scorpion from mortal combat. That would be pretty good. Gonna take a look at the Akali character.

Edited by Kitsu289