• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Game Desperately Needs to Allow Offline

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Pretty much just the topic title, allow offline AFK activities. It'll probably save everyone so much money on electricity, sanity, etc that we'll spend more on BDO. But really, this game needs it more than anything else at this moment. All the players connected afk training horses, fishing, processing, and the like are most likely adding to the server instability, electricity costs, GPU/CPU wear and tear, global warmth due to having our machines on 25/8. 

Im sure there are a handful of ways to implement it (Look at Blizzard's WoW app for follower missions etc). Kakao Pearl Abyss, CM:GMs you know it's progress in the right direction, do it

edit: or simply making workers work offline and no activities viable while afk. Then we have no inncentive to destroy everyone's precious computers 

Edited by Evensin
12 people like this

Posted

electricity costs, GPU/CPU wear and tear, global warmth due to having our machines on 25/8. 

I am literally rolling my eyes in real life right now. 

7 people like this

Posted

So let me get this str8. I get 1000 carrots in my inventory, hop on a t8 lvl1 horse, set the autopath loop from bazar to trent, turn off the pc, leave on vacation for 9 days, get back home, turn on the pc and bdo, and Voila! My t8 is lvl 30 and no1 pk-ed or interrupted my training cuz duh! i was offline and my pc was turned off.

Wouldnt that be just nice...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'd much rather they just add Active versions for most Lifeskill activities like Fishing already has so I can just do that crap a lot faster and then close the program down overnight  

Edited by iller
2 people like this

Posted

So let me get this str8. I get 1000 carrots in my inventory, hop on a t8 lvl1 horse, set the autopath loop from bazar to trent, turn off the pc, leave on vacation for 9 days, get back home, turn on the pc and bdo, and Voila! My t8 is lvl 30 and no1 pk-ed or interrupted my training cuz duh! i was offline and my pc was turned off.

How is this different from doing it on a sub 50 toon with your pc on though? Besides you paying for running costs that is?

3 people like this

Posted

Nah, Kakao harvests your cpu cycles when the game is minimized to search for space aliens.

11 people like this

Posted (edited)

try using an under level 50 toon for training horses, and thats what happens already. it is nice, but a bit unnecessary that i need to stay logged in for it to happen, the world runs on a server i can send an instruction to not my machine after all.

these afk skills are already balanced on us being "active" 24/7 what does it matter if im afk with it minimised to tray or offline to the game? unless they use our cards to mine for bitcoin i can think of no possible bonus to the game or its devs/ publishers . the change doesn't even have to affect the game in any way. our characters could still be mindlessly grinding the activities with our machines off.

Edited by padds

Posted

While I totally agree that we should have some true AFK, not logged in activities, this isn't the game for that.

As mentioned about 100 thousand times since beta at least, these activities are designed around KR internet cafes. They actually still serve a purpose overseas too. They won't go away. You would need to play a game designed by a non KR company realistically.

Then we have no inncentive to destroy everyone's precious computers 

Secondly, and importantly, no they don't destroy your PC. PC hardware is designed to far outlive it's usefulness in most cases. Decent hardware can survive 10 years of constant usage. Intel and AMD don't design their hardware to die after a couple of years, they are designed to live so long you replace them for better performing hardware...

What they really should fix however, is the issue when a user gets d/c from the server and the game ramps up to resource usage for no reason. It is always a problem, but with all the random d/c recently it really is an area a professional group of developers would take interest in resolving.

Granted in my case, I'm using a really old, trusty, well past its life box for afk purposes. So when it does die it I'll be very proud of its long-term resilience. Very small percentage of hardware would be dying from overuse (it would be low quality if its dying from overuse in a short period of time, or in a poor configuration)

You don't destroy computers from using them. If your PC can't last several years of non-stop use, it was a turd or you got unlucky.

4 people like this

Posted

Pretty much just the topic title, allow offline AFK activities. It'll probably save everyone so much money on electricity, sanity, etc that we'll spend more on BDO. But really, this game needs it more than anything else at this moment. All the players connected afk training horses, fishing, processing, and the like are most likely adding to the server instability, electricity costs, GPU/CPU wear and tear, global warmth due to having our machines on 25/8. 

Im sure there are a handful of ways to implement it (Look at Blizzard's WoW app for follower missions etc). Kakao Pearl Abyss, CM:GMs you know it's progress in the right direction, do it

edit: or simply making workers work offline and no activities viable while afk. Then we have no inncentive to destroy everyone's precious computers 

I would be very much in support of this. 

Posted

-1 I couldn't charge afk trainers off their horses.

Posted

+1
Even silent PC became loud when try sleep in same room.
It is unnecessary waste of electric power.

4 people like this

Posted

Agreed.

The wagons are an absolute menace. You can't see NPCs, they are in the way, they look horrible, etc.

Let the afk activities continue offline and save tons of server load.

Posted

The power costs of your computer running basically idle with bdo minimized is pennies lol.  I can't think of anyone I know off the top of my head that shuts down their pc every night either.

Oh and also leaving my machine running during the winter actually helps my gas bill and reduces my foot print as it keeps shit warm.

CPU/GPU's last years running 24/7 not sure what your point is here.  You are more likely to upgrade long before your hardware dies on you.... unless you got a bad piece.  Server instability is caused by a lot of things.  But having the server run your afk activities while your home system is offline will do literally nothing for server stability, infact it may just make it worse as the servers will have to "upload" everything that happened to your account when you log back in.  you are still using the server memory, cpu, and storage regardless of you being online or not if its running your afk activities.

.... sorry truth hurts, you don't know what you are talking about.

Posted

you could do the same thing with your pc except your route is in a town safezone. Until the server crashes at least.

Posted

No one is forcing you people to afk do anything at all lmao, its on you whether or not you wanna afk process/activity everyday. Keep in mind this afk stuff is built mostly for korea because of their internet cafe culture (pay so many an hour to keep your character afking thus earning kakao and cafe extra money).

Posted

But having the server run your afk activities while your home system is offline will do literally nothing for server stability, infact it may just make it worse as the servers will have to "upload" everything that happened to your account when you log back in.  you are still using the server memory, cpu, and storage regardless of you being online or not if its running your afk activities.

.... sorry truth hurts, you don't know what you are talking about.

not how it works. Firstly the server would need a merely few dozen bytes, kbytes at most to calculate your activities while offline. Plus not needing to render your character or character information since you arent there. Not needing to maintain a connection to a client pc, nor requiring cpu cycles to recieve your packets. The server would have a lot less work.

Posted

how will they bitcoin us then?

Posted

While I totally agree that we should have some true AFK, not logged in activities, this isn't the game for that.

As mentioned about 100 thousand times since beta at least, these activities are designed around KR internet cafes. They actually still serve a purpose overseas too. They won't go away.

But nothing would prevent them for setting thoses "activities" as true offline / game shutdown for our market.

If they werent that greedy, we could have 1-2devs to fix sh#t like that

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure anyone coming up for reasons to defend why there are hundreds if not thousands of players logged in to simply afk-activity are just doing so to be contrary. Literally no downside of having offline viability to what people already do to maintain maximum gains. There are so many solutions to this issue. Archeage use to have incentives to stay logged in, it was just a mere labor gain, and that was enough to keep a large population logged in. And when they changed it, server performance definitely increased.

individuals talking about how the servers dont have increased workload from players connected afk-activating are 1. Ignorant 2. Pseudo intellectuals 3. A combination of both

of course it burdens servers to have thousands of needless connections. The activities players would queue to replace those connections would be 1/1000th of the load. Rendering in-game sprites to every other client running through town etc... Of course that's additional workload. 

And be the arguments of wear and tear are besides the point. Even if my car can be left on over night doesn't mean it should. It's still a waste no matter how practical or feasible.

Edited by Evensin
1 person likes this

Posted

Dont want wate more potatos for keep this running in afk.

FOR POTATOS!

b48266895056db7d.jpg

Posted

Because electricity is so expensive right?!

Posted (edited)

The power costs of your computer running basically idle with bdo minimized is pennies lol

Not really. Assume an average 120w (prolly more) with BD on the tray running a horse with a common gaming computer

= 2.88 Kwh per day

Power price in Germany as of 2017 is around 0,30 euro per kwh which is around the European average

2.88 x 0.30 = 0.834 x 30 = ~26 euro -> ~$28 usd x 12 months = $336

Kakao is making us spend an extra ~$336 per year on average due to these afk mechanics.

Because electricity is so expensive right?!

yes it is

Edited by Shiraishin

Posted

Not really. Assume an average 120w (prolly more) with BD on the tray running a horse with a common gaming computer

= 2.88 Kwh per day

Power price in Germany as of 2017 is around 0,30 euro per kwh which is around the European average

2.88 x 0.30 = 0.834 x 30 = ~26 euro -> ~$28 usd x 12 months = $336

Kakao is making us spend an extra ~$336 per year on average due to these afk mechanics.

yes it is

I love it when someone starts with the math, problem is the PC doesn't always consuming changes depenging on what is happening.

i used to turn off my PC a long time ago, then I once got a better one and started playing games that I could afk do some thing that brought profit so I started to leave it on.

Well the monthly bill went up of course...by 3,5 euro and that is after a year went by and they recalculated it along with the prices going up.  So it's all relative.

And of course we cut off the connections but those processes need to run somwhere, so it's all on the server side still, now people need to be online if they can do it offline the amount of people AFK will grow, maybe even a few times. Also remember that we see the world we need to render objects and characters but the server sees it as 0 1. It doesn't need to visualize it's content and i remember a debate that this game makes a lot of uses from the client side thus some of the trouble we run into when two people collide.

Posted

yall should look up what C-, P- and S-states are.

Unless you are running a system with components from 15 years ago, your computer should automatically go to low power consumption modes even when BDO is running in the background.

Here is the idle power consumption of custom 1080TIs:

2017-04-14_14-09-15.thumb.png.4abaab5930

and full computer power consumption with a 1080:

2017-04-14_14-09-55.thumb.png.e56f7b72f5

and here is the Computerbase.de's testsystem:

2017-04-14_14-12-37.thumb.png.bc72197c0f

You will save waaaaaaaaaaay more money/electricity by throwing out ancient household electronics like refridgerators and swap light bulbs/energy saving lamps out for LED lamps (which are dirt cheap and still a lot more efficient nowadays). Also turn off your monitor if you dont need it and stop using standby modes on everything in your home

1 person likes this

Posted

Non non non...  tsk tsk...  what we need to do is have more solar powered and alternitive energy sources so that electricity becomes free to all!  VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!