• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Do you think BDO will last long enough?.

102 posts in this topic

Posted

Ehy everyone, I am returning to the game and was wondering how things are going. I tried to get back into FFXIV but unfortunately I am not liking how things are turning out and well, Stormblood seems just like Heavensward and..ARR.

I always liked BDO and want to get back into the MMORPG scene for real this time so I am looking for a MMORPG that I'm sure it will last long enough. Why?. Easy, because I think time is precious and I wouldn't want to invest my time on something that may as well close next year. So yes, I'm talking to you guys who've been playing since its release: do you think Pearl Abyss will support it for more than a simple year?. Is there a population big enough to make them produce new, worthy content?. 

Sorry for my english by the way!

Posted

The crappy servers are pushing more and more people to quit the game.  Sadly at this point I think the game will possibly die if these issues aren't fixed.

5 people like this

Posted

Ignore the propaganda, We just had a large influx of players. It is still growing.

7 people like this

Posted

In this day and age MMOs on the scale of BDO won't die for a very very long time, population may dip but enough people play these games to keep content coming out and the servers on. If you look at Tera, the game's pretty much dead and the population took a massive hit but they're still getting "new" content and the servers are still running. BDO's seen a lot of growth in the past year which can be easily measured by the revenue they've earned, but the best way to determine how long a game will last and whether it will die is not to look at those who enjoy it, but rather those who cry about. It's the same people whining about the game for months, the same people claiming it's dying for a year, the same people making complaints and the same people preaching doom.

If even these people can't quit, then how no earth can BDO's future be anything but bright? :) 

21 people like this

Posted

Kakao will support this game for as long as it remains profitable, and even for a dying game that can be stretched for a great length of time, so a better question is what kind of life are you looking for in a game? If you are hoping for a game that will not only survive but flourish through time, able to not only retain a strong player base but even continue to grow, this probably isn't the game you are looking for, in the first year alone this game has shown a pretty poor player retention rate (out of more than 3 million registered players they've managed to keep maybe a tenth of them active) and those numbers are likely to only get worse moving forward. If you simply want a game that can stay standing, BDO is unique enough that it likely won't lose enough players anytime in the near future to the point it'd be unprofitable and need to be shut down, and so long as the main regions for the game remain profitable, content will continue to flow. It all depends on your ambitions, do note though this game is a decent stand in while you wait for one of those more long term investments. (if you don't have anything else you'd rather fill your time with)

Ignore the propaganda, We just had a large influx of players. It is still growing.

got stats to back that up or? 

Posted

Source????? 

Posted (edited)

Kakao will support this game for as long as it remains profitable, and even for a dying game that can be stretched for a great length of time, so a better question is what kind of life are you looking for in a game? If you are hoping for a game that will not only survive but flourish through time, able to not only retain a strong player base but even continue to grow, this probably isn't the game you are looking for, in the first year alone this game has shown a pretty poor player retention rate (out of more than 3 million registered players they've managed to keep maybe a tenth of them active) and those numbers are likely to only get worse moving forward. If you simply want a game that can stay standing, BDO is unique enough that it likely won't lose enough players anytime in the near future to the point it'd be unprofitable and need to be shut down, and so long as the main regions for the game remain profitable, content will continue to flow. It all depends on your ambitions, do note though this game is a decent stand in while you wait for one of those more long term investments. (if you don't have anything else you'd rather fill your time with)

I dunno, probably all the crowded channels and all the new players that are below level 58. 

2 months ago people said we wouldn't get crowded channels anymore and we have

https://gyazo.com/135e9553f2bd91e3cf9c42e7c6d3ade7

inb4 someone rationalizes by saying kakao changes channel capacity on the fly(I work with servers and this isn't how it works). The game brought in a lot of new players with olvia channels and the dark knight. 

Even the blackdesertonline sub-reddit has had a big number of new individual users join the sub-reddit. 

IDK How many people the game has, but it's more than when the game launched that's for sure. We also know that TW BDO is doing amazing. 

Edited by Catclaw
1 person likes this

Posted

All MMOs have declining player bases. I just dont know if there is any MMO out on the horizon that looks nearly as good as BDO.

3 people like this

Posted

I dunno, probably all the crowded channels and all the new players that are below level 58. 

2 months ago people said we wouldn't get crowded channels anymore and we have

https://gyazo.com/135e9553f2bd91e3cf9c42e7c6d3ade7

inb4 someone rationalizes by saying kakao changes channel capacity on the fly(I work with servers and this isn't how it works). The game brought in a lot of new players with olvia channels and the dark knight. 

Even the blackdesertonline sub-reddit has had a big number of new individual users join the sub-reddit. 

IDK How many people the game has, but it's more than when the game launched that's for sure. We also know that TW BDO is doing amazing. 

none of that is concrete though, servers can be downgraded and they can lower the requirements for a channel to pass as crowded, the only reason you assume it is going well is out of good will. 

do you have an actual measurement of all these new players, how many have come in, how active they are, which are new players and which are alts/rerolls, or even how many have stayed versus left, do you have any of that? or even your later claim of it being more alive now that launch, how do you know that, do you even know how many players bdo had at launch? 

i need numbers, not broad speculation, the best you've offered is reddit growth and that's not a super strong argument. 

Posted

IMG_2188.JPG

Posted (edited)

The game is really populated right now. I stopped playing for about 2 months and it wasn't that crowded back then. Now its even crowded on weekdays during evening hours. A lot pf people I talk to, are enjoying the game with all the content. There's plenty of content coming our way. I don't see this game dying for a pretty long time. Get in and enjoy.

Edited by Slasher
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

none of that is concrete though, servers can be downgraded and they can lower the requirements for a channel to pass as crowded, the only reason you assume it is going well is out of good will. 

do you have an actual measurement of all these new players, how many have come in, how active they are, which are new players and which are alts/rerolls, or even how many have stayed versus left, do you have any of that? or even your later claim of it being more alive now that launch, how do you know that, do you even know how many players bdo had at launch? 

i need numbers, not broad speculation, the best you've offered is reddit growth and that's not a super strong argument. 

Servers aren't downgraded that way in capacity. It actually costs more money to do that then it does to upgrade for most MMORPG servers. This game doesn't release solid player #'s, all it releases is it's profits each quarter, and recently, it's made more profit. The game also has more individual reddit viewers everyday and more consistent NA twitch viewers (about 1500 NA, 500 KR, sometimes more) 

That's all you have to go on. The game doesn't give official numbers, even WoW stopped giving player #'s each quarter (because of investors pulling out and putting in over and over)

You also have other things you can go off off. Look at patch note views and stuff, etc. 

From my point of view as an officer in a top siege guild on NA, we also gain more people applying or wanting to join the guild vs people quitting. It's rare to see someone fully quit these days since BDO is a free game and there's no alternatives right now other than WoW, FFXIV, GW2 (currently doing bad), or ESO. 

The game's not the most popular MMO, but it's joined the BIG 3. GW2 is losing it's playerbase (until it makes a new expac or something) while BDO is retaining or slowly increasing(however this could change if newer players become bored). WoW and FFXIV remain the top 2 by-far however. 

Edited by Catclaw

Posted (edited)

Warning, Off topic : 

If you look at Tera, the game's pretty much dead and the population took a massive hit but they're still getting "new" content and the servers are still running.

How did you came to that conclusion ?

Judging from your previous posts, save yourself the trouble of linking Steam Charts data, as their numbers mean exactly 何も,

The game launched on 1st of May 2012, only joined Steam on 5th of May 2015, and during it first months it was The Most Played MMORPG on Steam, and knowing the dolphin nature of Steam players, it only natural to see their numbers decline, especially when external factors played Major in Restricting the access of the game through Steam.

> Tera's population # Steam numbers.

Also, what's up with the "new" content ?

Going through The game updates list in 2017 :

Valkyrie Page

And in 2 weeks Tera going through it 5th Anniversary.

Disclaimer : I have no interest in advertising a game with this post, it was simply made to prove a point.

Edited by Artorias
Disclaimer added.

Posted

Ehy everyone, I am returning to the game and was wondering how things are going. I tried to get back into FFXIV but unfortunately I am not liking how things are turning out and well, Stormblood seems just like Heavensward and..ARR.

I always liked BDO and want to get back into the MMORPG scene for real this time so I am looking for a MMORPG that I'm sure it will last long enough. Why?. Easy, because I think time is precious and I wouldn't want to invest my time on something that may as well close next year. So yes, I'm talking to you guys who've been playing since its release: do you think Pearl Abyss will support it for more than a simple year?. Is there a population big enough to make them produce new, worthy content?. 

Sorry for my english by the way!

This game is in a downward spiral and has been for a while. Most people who have been here a while are quitting or thinking about it. 

Game demands a lot of cash if you want to be on the same page as everyone else, its gona cost you $600 to get everything youre gona want. Please dont join this game.

Posted

This game is in a downward spiral and has been for a while. Most people who have been here a while are quitting or thinking about it. 

Game demands a lot of cash if you want to be on the same page as everyone else, its gona cost you $600 to get everything youre gona want. Please dont join this game.

i think i can spend even more for items i want, however this is not what you need :)  

1 person likes this

Posted

The crappy servers are pushing more and more people to quit the game.  Sadly at this point I think the game will possibly die if these issues aren't fixed.

should try playing on KR, you would be surprised to know they already fixed the lag. Wasn't just server upgrades either. KR had desync early on just like us, they fixed it pretty recently. Be patient man, its only been a year.

Posted (edited)

Warning, Off topic : 

How did you came to that conclusion ?

Judging from your previous posts, save yourself the trouble of linking Steam Charts data, as their numbers mean exactly 何も,

The steam numbers don't show the total population, but they show a percentage of the population and if you see a sudden and continued drop in population then you can extrapolate this and apply it to the main population as well. Someone goes more in depth in this post on the Tera forums. You can't disregard numbers purely because they dispute your point, thankfully that's not how facts work. :) 

The game launched on 1st of May 2012, only joined Steam on 5th of May 2015, and during it first months it was The Most Played MMORPG on Steam, and knowing the dolphin nature of Steam players, it only natural to see their numbers decline, especially when external factors played Major in Restricting the access of the game through Steam.

Firstly, to address your second link of restricted access I urge you to actually read the link itself. What the article shows is that the numbers wouldn't grow when you were looking purely at Tera players from the EU, other players can still access Tera through Steam. 

1) Access was merely restricted for NEW players looking to get onto Tera from some EU countries and Russia

2) Access wasn't restricted for players who had already added it to their Steam catalogue and downloaded the game

3) Access wasn't restrcited for Tera EU players

A statement of "most played MMORPG on steam" is rather hollow when, like Tera, most MMORPG have their own launchers and don't tend to go through Steam for the main playerbase. That being said, let's look at two major MMORPGs that are on Steam, FF14 and ESO. Final fantasy has fluctuated quite a lot however it has seen growth, decline and then growth again. If you look at their numbers for the past month, they're higher than this time the previous year. If you look at ESO, it has shown a sharp growth period with a small decline but the numbers have trended upwards since the steam release. Tera on the other hand has seen nothnig but a decline.

Also, what's up with the "new" content ?

Can't possibly comment on their new content as I haven't played the game for over a year, but their previous releases angered some people when each dungeon and boss was merely a previously removed boss or a current boss that had been re-skinned. BHS haven't come up with any new content in a while and each new class they release has eben known to completely break the game as can be seen by the Gunner and Brawler classes which had to be severely nerfed. 

And in 2 weeks Tera going through it 5th Anniversary.

As I stated in my post, large MMO games never truly die due to the fact that they only require a small paying population to keep them running; it'll take a few more years for EME to shut down the servers and close the game, but it doesn't mean the game is dying as can be seen by the population figures. Sadly we don't have Steam figures or official numbers to show how well BDO is doing population wise, so everything is just speculation. However if die hard haters such as Frostfire can't quit despite spending an entire year crying, then the game can't truly be dying. :) 

Edited by Plunge
1 person likes this

Posted

should try playing on KR, you would be surprised to know they already fixed the lag. Wasn't just server upgrades either. KR had desync early on just like us, they fixed it pretty recently. Be patient man, its only been a year.

bull! I just saw them hosting a tournament was desync as heck

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

how you figure? This game is super healthy for an MMO, especially considering the age O.o Maybe this is your first MMO or you just making conjecture based on zero evidence or research? The content stream is ridiculous and there's a pretty constant influx of players. Even people who quit come back all the time. The combat and sheer scale of stuff to do keeps people in for a while (i.e endless gear grind). I also see you make zero arguments to support this seemingly unfounded opinion while also insisting people argue against or put evidence against your no evidence non-point. =/

bull! I just saw them hosting a tournament was desync as heck

we watched the same tourney? I saw little to no desync :o I could be blind tho, idk i wear glasses xD

also note my opinion on KR desync is from playing on KR and dueling and warring. Not from watching KR streams. Direct comparison of the two servers through gameplay.

Edited by kobitz

Posted

:o I could be blind tho, idk i wear glasses xD

My DK wears glasses too.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

God I hope it doesn't... I've only got about another year and a half before Camelot Unchained finally maybe comes out of open Beta and goes live xD

But seriously,  I'd prefer to NOT stay too wrapped up in this game or continue to allow it to be such a Time Vampire.  Some of you folks might be comfortable with how the industry is right now and that's understandable.  But new Threading code, new performance standards, and most importantly new Design TOOLS & platforms are coming.  And people like me who are sick of all the "playing it safe" Open World Tower-Climber Ubi ripoffs and compulsive Gambling Sims & Choices-that-don't-matter + everything else that's got us stuck in a rut the last decade.  ...well we're getting closer to being able to finally do something about it and because of that our Time is no longer worthless

Edited by iller
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

God I hope it doesn't... I've only got about another year and a half before Camelot Unchained finally maybe comes out of open Beta and goes live xD

But seriously,  I'd prefer to NOT stay too wrapped up in this game and continue to allow it to be such a Time Vampire.  Some of you folks might be comfortable with how the industry is right now and that's understandable.  But new Threading code, new performance standards, and most importantly new Design TOOLS & platforms are coming.  And people like me who are sick of all the "playing it safe" Open World Tower-Climber Ubi ripoffs and Choices that don't matter and everything else that's got us stuck in a rut the last decade.  ...well we're getting closer to being able to finally do something about it and because of that our Time is no longer worthless

Looking at all the games that are coming and look interesting, there are a bunch of neat things to look forward too, however; I wouldn't be surprised if, by that time, all those game don't meet the standards that BDO is setting. I could definitely see a bunch of people flocking to a new MMO, trying out the combat and flow of the world, and immediately feeling let down by shallow content with no real depth and sub par controls and mechanics and come right back. I'm not saying this WILL BE the case, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised. I hope this is not the case, in fact. But really if you want to know what I mean, go try out Revalations Online. It's a new MMO that's trying to out-do games like BDO. 

Ofc, I hope these upcoming games are not that. I hope they are full of depth and intrigue with engaging and fun gameplay mechanics and solid net code. :D

Edited by kobitz
1 person likes this

Posted

Ofc, I hope these upcoming games are not that.

The phrase "A mile wide, but an inch Deep" really comes to mind.  And that's really not what I want, I like it more when they just did a couple of thing really well

Posted

Its gonna be hard. BDO has so much eye candy though.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have my complaints about BDO, I really hate the hidden stats, RNG/enhancement endgame, and terrible server performance.  With that said it's one of the very few solid MMO's on the market today with action combat, with interesting & fun to play classes, and a fairly large scale game running on a pretty good engine feature-wise (not performance wise, feature-wise).

BDO isn't going anywhere, but the way it's designed, it'll also never get as popular as some MMO's in the West such as WoW and GW2.