• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

How many of you are multilingual?

127 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm interested to see how diverse the community is. I love learning how broad the spectrum can be as well as read different conversations even if I can't understand it. Diversity is good, at least to me, and I think it's awesome for individuals to pick up multiple tongues - whether it's for personal entertainment or because it's required.

So what languages do you speak (fluently, of course)? If none, what language do you aspire to learn? :] Perhaps we can learn from each other as well, either in-game or outside of it.

I'm native to English and somewhat conversational in German. I haven't practiced recently, but I studied it in school for 3 years. I am, however, trying to relearn it by reading the German forums, haha. In addition, I'm also self-studying Korean.

Posted

Native Arabic and English, I'm Syrian .

Posted

French & English.

Posted

Slovak & English

+ some basic German (Wie heisst du? Wie alt bist du?:D )

Posted

Croatian, German, English.

Posted

English. Elvish.

No? :ph34r:

I've been meaning to get around to Chinese lessons of some kind for years. With all this dry spell of no MMORPGs to play; would be a good time to start now. O.o

Posted

French, I speak english and Italian too.

Tried to learn japanese but I need more time.

Posted

I've been meaning to get around to Chinese lessons of some kind for years. With all this dry spell of no MMORPGs to play; would be a good time to start now. O.o

It's difficult to learn on your own because there isn't any motivation to (eg:classroom) or there are too many other habits to juggle with (eg: gaming, haha). It's really helpful, however, to start by downloading language apps that give friendly reminders. It's also great to start by developing e-penpal relationships, whether they are exchange students or just a friend. I got started by buying elementary/beginner workbooks so they are also physical reminders of my self-study. If you find people online that also bought the same book, that additionally encourages you to keep learning.

Posted

I used to speak French pretty well but I haven't used it much in the past 10 years so it's fading away. :(

Posted

French & English

Posted

Spanish and English, trying to learn Japanese right now

Posted (edited)

German, Polish, English (all fluent), French (pretty basic), want to learn Korean or Japanese on the side. Started it a while ago but was too busy to finish :(

Edited by gosu

Posted

German, Polish, English (all fluent), French (pretty basic), going to learn Korean or Japanese on the side. Started it a while ago but was too busy to finish :(

I can tell you for sure that the Korean's alphabet, Hangul, is easy to learn. If you just put maybe an hour into it, you'll be able to read Korean. Of course, you won't understand it, but you'll be able to read it. Haha, though you might read at an elementary pace - aka me.

Posted (edited)

I can tell you for sure that the Korean's alphabet, Hangul, is easy to learn. If you just put maybe an hour into it, you'll be able to read Korean. Of course, you won't understand it, but you'll be able to read it. Haha, though you might read at an elementary pace - aka me.

Yep, I learned the korean alphabet and the japanese katakana and hiragana (kanji is a lot more effort though. Korean alphabet was pretty simple. But understanding it is a whole different matter :D asian languages are weird

Edited by gosu

Posted

Yep, I learned the korean alphabet and the japanese katakana and hiragana (kanji is a lot more effort though. Korean alphabet was pretty simple.

I remember when I was interested in the Japanese language when I was in middle school, but I was a weeb at the time. It was pretty embarassing. I do, however, have a friend that studied Japanese about 2 years ago and she managed to study abroad and attend to one of the country's schools. It was really cool :[ So I hope to do the same and study in SK for a bit, if not, then travel and take beautiful pics.

Posted (edited)

I remember when I was interested in the Japanese language when I was in middle school, but I was a weeb at the time. It was pretty embarassing. I do, however, have a friend that studied Japanese about 2 years ago and she managed to study abroad and attend to one of the country's schools. It was really cool :[ So I hope to do the same and study in SK for a bit, if not, then travel and take beautiful pics.

South Korea is an amazing place. European cities looks dull and boring in comparison to theirs (probably because I am from Europe though, haha.. ):P so much different entertainment... And the food!!!!

Go try bibimbap, it is so awesome: http://www.taste.com.au/images/recipes/agt/2012/03/29091_l.jpg

And there is so much other good food there, omnomnom

Edited by gosu

Posted

South Korea is an amazing place. European cities looks dull and boring in comparison to theirs :P so much different entertainment... And the food!!!!

Go try bibimbap, it is so awesome:  http://www.taste.com.au/images/recipes/agt/2012/03/29091_l.jpg 

And there is so much other good food there, omnomnom

They used SK for the Avengers: Age of Ultron movie, but I haven't seen it. I mainly want to visit Jeju Island and Hongdae. I've tried Bibimbap, Mandu, Beef Jjigae, and Beef Jeongol. Really good. Really meaty, haha. But I'm not a fan of kimchi, ugh.

Posted

It's difficult to learn on your own because there isn't any motivation to (eg:classroom) or there are too many other habits to juggle with (eg: gaming, haha). It's really helpful, however, to start by downloading language apps that give friendly reminders. It's also great to start by developing e-penpal relationships, whether they are exchange students or just a friend. I got started by buying elementary/beginner workbooks so they are also physical reminders of my self-study. If you find people online that also bought the same book, that additionally encourages you to keep learning.

Thanks for all the tips! More than likely I'll wind up on Rosetta Stone. I like how interactive it is. The motivation for me has never been a problem though! I've got more drive than I have time for. Which is the big issue. Though instead of so much time on the forums lately I could be doing something productive. xD

Posted

Thanks for all the tips! More than likely I'll wind up on Rosetta Stone. I like how interactive it is. The motivation for me has never been a problem though! I've got more drive than I have time for. Which is the big issue. Though instead of so much time on the forums lately I could be doing something productive. xD

I used to have a Rosetta Stone for Japanese. It's great, but I'm not a fan of the sequence it teaches in. For example, it teaches you phrases but doesn't try to teach you the alphabet - so I'm not sure if it's required to learn the alphabet prior. Though, this said experience was about 5 years ago so I'm not sure if they changed/updated their techniques. Hopefully you can find the trial first before purchasing the thing since it's a pretty hefty value. Goodluck tho, haha.

As for me, I try to do homework and forums on the side so it makes me feel productive.

Posted

Danish and English. Had a bit of French, Spanish, German and Chinese in school but I never really became good at any of them :) 

Posted

Quad lingual - Filipino (Tagalog) x Ilocano (A sub-language originating in Northern Philippines) x English x Forum Warrior (Originating in the savage world of internet).

Or fine, trilingual. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I only know Swedish and English. Even tough I only speak two languages fluently I have always been interested in languages. Therefore I'm interested in learning Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, German, French and any other languages that might interest me. Oh right I know a bit of spanish as well only the basics tough. ;)

Edited by Sartheron

Posted

Native to Polish, fluent in English, intermediate in German, beginner in Spanish :D 

Posted

Greek and English.

Posted

English and German, I haven't lived in Germany for some time so I am probably a bit rusty.