• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ranger - Bow Grinding - The wind god!????

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Ranger was first class I wanted to play when I read up on BDO in Jan.  Until I found awakening was melee.  I've played a few months now, "rich enough" to reroll and basically straight up buy a TET Kzarka, a decent offhand and my use my current accessories.  I have blown a lot of silver doing a few impulsive rerolls already so was hoping any experienced rangers out there - especially those with decent gear could give me some insight onto farming with a bow.

I know most of these forums say rangers trash, bow dmg trash, etc.
So, anyone legit tested farming with bow w/ certain stats at certain places?  Just because they like bow/ ranged better.  What's possible what's not, how much of a hit do you take on grind speed even with like a tetkzarka, etc?

Any thoughts/tips from high end rangers would be appreciated.  Everyone seems to be un-playing rangers atm lol.  Thx bdorangergods.

Posted

Well you can spam 3 shotguns or just do a W+F. 

Posted

If you never got around to playing post awakening max out will of the wind, descending current, ultimate evasive shot and Sp charging wind. Don't forget to max spirit healing as far as your level will allow. Also get blasting gust 3 & evasive explosive shot 3. You could also probably max out Tearing arrow or Razor wind for fun.
I'm going to take it that you weren't really around pre-awakening to be know what to farm with bow so what was usually used was wotw -> shotgun for farming. Q cancel into packs of mobs for mana regeneration. You'll probably find that bow farming gets reallll boring real quick. You'll also want to stick on two extraction gems on your bow because it chews mana pretty fast. One of the good things about bow is that it actually is somewhat easier to get mp back if you add mp regen skill addon with extraction gems, and use q cancel on a nice pack of mobs.

I wouldn't just farm bow honestly, It has been nerfed so much that it does very little damage that is used to along with removing most utility. Even with a tet kzarka bow the damage is abyssmal. You need 200+ ap to farm mediah mobs effectively and 220+ap for ok farming of Valencia mobs. That being said, farming Valencia will be highly ineffective. Honestly if you want to farm valencia with a bow, just don't bother. You won't be farming effectively at all. Ult:charging wind has been nerfed 6 or so times and the damage is pathetic despite the fact that it's technically a core ability. Bow damage is really only use for finishing things off from a distance. Not very good for doing damage or farming past Mediah mobs.
Bow also lacks defensive utility. There is only one iframe which has a 12 second cooldown. There are no guards/frontal blocks or super armor like there is in sword. The only knockdown is either rng or requires calculated timing to actually land and if you miss it's on a cooldown. There is no hp regen ability in bow at all either.
Probably the most important thing that bow is missing is the shift + Q buff that sword gives - bonus att speed, moves speed, crit rate & evasion for 20 secs with no stam use for 10 seconds and +500 mp regen on use.

Sword has over 3x the base damage of higher damaging bow abilites, super armor, forward guards, more iframes.  It has the q buff, hp regen ability, mp regen ability. Abilities have more multiplies, knockdowns, stuns/stiffness.

My main reason for giving up on playing ranger is because how much they have nerfed bow and forced those who prefer a bow archetype into playing this squishy melee assassin. 
Hopefully you find more enjoyment out of it and get the gear to have fun

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I figured maybe there would be a couple troll replies then like some anecdotal "half as good with bow" reply.  But based on your fully functioning response, even if only half is accurate, it seems like a fukin waste of time until a patch note reads ranger:buff bow 1 buff bow 2 buff bow 3, or something ridiculous.  Figured I could just like outgear shit and bow it down ez but seems like there is almost no point given the discrepancies you outlined.

thx for full response

1 person likes this

Posted

If you never got around to playing post awakening max out will of the wind, descending current, ultimate evasive shot and Sp charging wind. Don't forget to max spirit healing as far as your level will allow. Also get blasting gust 3 & evasive explosive shot 3. You could also probably max out Tearing arrow or Razor wind for fun.
I'm going to take it that you weren't really around pre-awakening to be know what to farm with bow so what was usually used was wotw -> shotgun for farming. Q cancel into packs of mobs for mana regeneration. You'll probably find that bow farming gets reallll boring real quick. You'll also want to stick on two extraction gems on your bow because it chews mana pretty fast. One of the good things about bow is that it actually is somewhat easier to get mp back if you add mp regen skill addon with extraction gems, and use q cancel on a nice pack of mobs.

I wouldn't just farm bow honestly, It has been nerfed so much that it does very little damage that is used to along with removing most utility. Even with a tet kzarka bow the damage is abyssmal. You need 200+ ap to farm mediah mobs effectively and 220+ap for ok farming of Valencia mobs. That being said, farming Valencia will be highly ineffective. Honestly if you want to farm valencia with a bow, just don't bother. You won't be farming effectively at all. Ult:charging wind has been nerfed 6 or so times and the damage is pathetic despite the fact that it's technically a core ability. Bow damage is really only use for finishing things off from a distance. Not very good for doing damage or farming past Mediah mobs.
Bow also lacks defensive utility. There is only one iframe which has a 12 second cooldown. There are no guards/frontal blocks or super armor like there is in sword. The only knockdown is either rng or requires calculated timing to actually land and if you miss it's on a cooldown. There is no hp regen ability in bow at all either.
Probably the most important thing that bow is missing is the shift + Q buff that sword gives - bonus att speed, moves speed, crit rate & evasion for 20 secs with no stam use for 10 seconds and +500 mp regen on use.

Sword has over 3x the base damage of higher damaging bow abilites, super armor, forward guards, more iframes.  It has the q buff, hp regen ability, mp regen ability. Abilities have more multiplies, knockdowns, stuns/stiffness.

My main reason for giving up on playing ranger is because how much they have nerfed bow and forced those who prefer a bow archetype into playing this squishy melee assassin. 
Hopefully you find more enjoyment out of it and get the gear to have fun

Pretty much what this guy said, but minor correction.

Hes completely right that awakening weapon is far more efficient grinding.

My correction is that bow has call from the sky as I-Frame as well, and its spammable. But its useful in PvP.

Posted

Pretty much what this guy said, but minor correction.

Hes completely right that awakening weapon is far more efficient grinding.

My correction is that bow has call from the sky as I-Frame as well, and its spammable. But its useful in PvP.

I could be wrong but I thought they removed the cfts iframe when they nerfed bow into oblivion..I've seen rangers get grabbed out of it straight from the air by zerks and it hasn't work as an effective "iframe" for me for months. I know the stompy bit at the end works.
Could just have been a case of desync too.

Well I figured maybe there would be a couple troll replies then like some anecdotal "half as good with bow" reply.  But based on your fully functioning response, even if only half is accurate, it seems like a fukin waste of time until a patch note reads ranger:buff bow 1 buff bow 2 buff bow 3, or something ridiculous.  Figured I could just like outgear shit and bow it down ez but seems like there is almost no point given the discrepancies you outlined.

thx for full response

Yeah sadly even if you did gear your ranger to high hell with bow you'd struggle with higher end mobs. Sword has the hard burst you need to kill Valencia mobs as well as the forward guard/super armors you need to actually farm somewhere like crescent shrine and basilisks. Ranger is just otherwise too squishy in bow form. 

Posted

I leveled my ranger to 58 pre-awakening prior to quitting the game like 6+ months ago. I returned recently and leveled from 58 - 59 over Easter weekend and really wish I had spent that time leveling a wizard / witch / dark knight.

Rangers feel so borked right now... I want to continue to play the class in hopes they change something but it is very frustrating.

I remember alot of talk prior to awakenings coming out that the ranger awakening would be more of an addition to our bow to help with our mobility etc... NOT that it would completely replace our bow and turn a class that people choose because they like playing a ranger bow user into a melee assassin.

I honestly don't even see people playing the class anymore. Over the 3 days playing on pirate island I don't think I saw a single ranger there leveling. No one on my friends list is playing their ranger anymore and never see anyone on our guild roster playing one either. It blows my mind how a class can be ran so far into the gutter people are rerolling to different classes and the devs don't fix the issue.

Anyone /rant over. I still have hope they will get their heads out of their bootys and fix something :)

Posted

I leveled my ranger to 58 pre-awakening prior to quitting the game like 6+ months ago. I returned recently and leveled from 58 - 59 over Easter weekend and really wish I had spent that time leveling a wizard / witch / dark knight.

Rangers feel so borked right now... I want to continue to play the class in hopes they change something but it is very frustrating.

I remember alot of talk prior to awakenings coming out that the ranger awakening would be more of an addition to our bow to help with our mobility etc... NOT that it would completely replace our bow and turn a class that people choose because they like playing a ranger bow user into a melee assassin.

I honestly don't even see people playing the class anymore. Over the 3 days playing on pirate island I don't think I saw a single ranger there leveling. No one on my friends list is playing their ranger anymore and never see anyone on our guild roster playing one either. It blows my mind how a class can be ran so far into the gutter people are rerolling to different classes and the devs don't fix the issue.

Anyone /rant over. I still have hope they will get their heads out of their bootys and fix something :)

Yeah, ranger isn't S-tier anymore for sure.

However, its still A-tier in most situations. Besides the fact that it conceptually doesn't fit well with "ranged class" it is still strong. I agree that its sad that the bow is now used to complement awakening rather than the other way around, but its still a strong class:

+ Better than decent PvE, you just have to farm with awakening 99% of the time.

+Good in small -medium scale PvP, as mobility combined with burst is useful when you don't have to worry about 8 potential enemies catching you in a CC

+as dremlock would say, Best thighs ingame.

-Conceptually frustrating, as we want to use bow more but the damage is poop and you can only really use it for chasing/kiting (limited) and ranged KD, or in the miracle situation where you have 6 rangers safely spamming DC.

-Those positives up there can be done better by other classes, pretty much every time.

-DK might actually have better thighs.

The fact that everybody is rerolling away from ranger can lead to several conclusions. I personally believe the class is still very good, and in the hands of an EXCELLENT player is better than everything except wizard/witch and possibly DK(don't have enough experience to comment).

However, its easy to be a decent ranger, and stupidly difficult to be an amazing one. This is my personal opinion though, and better rangers than myself are leaving the class. I also hope the Devs give ranger a few tweaks, such as increased mainhand use incentive (damage, more utility etc) but I feel it would be hard for them to change too much without making the very strong rangers truly OP.

Posted

I don't really agree that Ranger is A-Tier.

Pretty much everyone agrees that to be competitive we need drastically higher AP / Gear than others.

Once we hit those AP numbers yeah we are A-Tier and are able to farm with the best of them.

The problem is I should not need to invest 2+ billion more silver into my character to be able to farm content everyone is is able for a fraction of the cost.

Add in the need to spam potions to be efficient and the crazy durability drain we have on our weapons I just don't see us being A-Tier currently.

I think we can be if they tweak some things and make our bow more of a primary weapon rather than non existent. 

I have faith!

1 person likes this

Posted

Ranger grinding isnt that bad 

i guess the worst part is you need some RL money investment to grind ranger period, you will need 6ish maids minimum to be able to grind. If you cant affod these, then forget ranger now. 

You will also need 2-3 weapon brands to offset repair times, though unlike maids, you can do without if you can hack repairing on the hour

The next isnt a deal breaker, but if you are bow grinding, then you REQUIRE extraction crystals in both slots. 

The bow will match the awakening speed, however you will want to replace thos extraction crystals eventually making your bow trash and using awakening 100% of the time 

mana pots are a minor issues (apart from the maid requirement to keep stocked) the price is negligible even at a rate of 300 per hour, its somthing like 2-3mil per 100mil earned grinding

apart frim those issues, i find the ranger great to grind for large amounts of time, its extreamly easy and consistant, you can grind just as fast half asleep as you can with 100% focus, with is great if youre grinding out 12-14 hour sessions regularly. Grinding on my dk and other classes my speed goes down by alot once fatige sets is and cool downs and stuff get sloppy, ranger always goes strong 

1 person likes this

Posted

Bow also lacks defensive utility. There is only one iframe which has a 12 second cooldown. There are no guards/frontal blocks or super armor like there is in sword.

Hm, there are 2 iframe skills and 1 with a front guard, in bow stance.

The only knockdown is either rng or requires calculated timing to actually land and if you miss it's on a cooldown

Aren't all CCs RNG ?

Why missing on the bow? It's on the sword. You can switch pretty fast you know, no need to restrict on bow or sword only ;)

Posted

Hm, there are 2 iframe skills and 1 with a front guard, in bow stance.

Call to sky is not an iframe and there is no frontal guard with your bow if you are talking about swapping to awakening its and awakening skill as its listed in the awakend skill tree.

Posted

Call to sky is not an iframe and there is no frontal guard with your bow if you are talking about swapping to awakening its and awakening skill as its listed in the awakend skill tree.

What else is call to sky doing then? I can't remember getting hit while using it.

Swapping from bow to sword is definitely a skill that you use with bow, doesn't matter where it's listed. You are in bow stance, press C and can block incoming attacks with it. Don't be that pedantic with words, it's about what you can do when having bow equipped...

What else is call to sky doing then? I can't remember getting hit while using it.

Swapping from bow to sword is definitely a skill that you use with bow, doesn't matter where it's listed. You are in bow stance, press C and can block incoming attacks with it. Don't be that pedantic with words, it's about what you can do when having bow equipped...

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0