• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

China will force games with loot boxes to publicly expose their drop rates and probabilities

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Isn't this last year's news? I remember a thread on this on an article from MMOSITE.

1 person likes this

Posted

Agree I can't really see this effecting BDO as has already been mentioned, we don't pay for loot boxes, either through real cash or in game currency

Technically you can with in game currency buy the rng boxes from the repair vendor,for necklace,ring,etc but as they said above. Doesn't affect Korea.

Posted

What about the chances of making a T2,3,4 pet though? I think that may fall under such a thing.

And Horse skill reset coupons.

Posted

China is our bigger costumer when it comes to entertainment, I guess that isn't necessarily wrong. But, we are entirely different countries with very different perceptions, laws, and culture. Black Desert is a Korean game, so what China does means little to nothing for Korea. Although, China's new law could bring controversy to every country's gaming communities around the world. So it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks of this. I personally agree with their new law. 

yeah i know i just meant that if u wanna export stuff to China u better follow China's rules. Korea's the only country making decent games these days and as a hardcore gamer I have nothing but respect for that.

I'm not a big fan of China(although I'm not against them), but I think some of their laws especially those regarding gambling actually make more sense than the western laws.

1 person likes this

Posted

japan or korea has this implemented

its worse for them cause theirs a 200$ cap on what you can spent on mmorpg's a month

Posted

japan or korea has this implemented

its worse for them cause theirs a 200$ cap on what you can spent on mmorpg's a month

That sounds pretty interesting, might you be able to direct us to some source information? I'll go look around soon, though I do love a nice pointer/hint. Thanks for the info. 

Posted (edited)

As you said CHINA whatever the government of china does on THERE country is there business. However the laws of china don't mean anything outside there country unless you are going visit there.

BDO is Korean....so yeah..

^ this

so what lol

Korea is getting fat Chinese money with all their online games, Kpops...etc China is Korea's biggest customer..

So what because chinese citizens spend money on south korean goods or services that gives the government of china say so on anything. I really doubt that's going matter  much unless they block bdo in there country which they are know to do that sort of thing >.>

Edited by Dalenos

Posted

I think ethical and morale standards of gaming corporations should be voluntary and include what this Chinese law governs.

1 person likes this

Posted

That sounds pretty interesting, might you be able to direct us to some source information? I'll go look around soon, though I do love a nice pointer/hint. Thanks for the info. 

http://insidegamesasia.biz/korea-spending-cap-on-online-games-will-be-lifted/

The monthly cap was at 300.000 Won from 2007 to 2009, from 2009 until today it was 500.000 Won (437$), but wasn't an official regulation until 2013 in which online games had to obide by this as this otherwise meant the release was prohibited.

Though it seems now that this cap will be lifted by next month, which should be good for MMOs as their revenue isn't restricted anymore and may lead to less cookie-cutter MMOs.

The cap constrains the growth potential of the online gaming industry and discourages companies from innovating, and sets a barrier that prevents new players from entering the market.

2 people like this

Posted

So? This means nothing to Black Desert online as this game has nothing to do with China and there for does not fall under the Chinese jurisdiction making this entire thread null and void.

Posted

Most people use anecdotal samples to make decisions either way and anecdotal samples in BDO tell us the chances on all RnG is slim to none.

Posted

what about horse skill change coupons?

1 person likes this

Posted

Very old news, and it doesn't do anything cause boxes aren't sold for RL cash.

They might be forced to reveal the probability of breeding pets or getting a new skill from a horse, but that's about it.

I think last week I was talking to another user here about that very thing. How the horse coupons should have the odds listed, and the other poster said that in their country such a thing is required.

Posted

Horse skill change coupon wouldn't be affected. They succeed 100% of the time. All they do is delete one skill and randomly select another skill, which it will do every single time you use it. As for the odds of which skill you get in return, that's not a function of the coupon itself. The skill you get in return is bound by the same mechanics that the horse would use when they learn a skill during normal leveling. As well, the odds change depending on how many, and which skills, are still unlearned (ie.. the odds of getting sprint are much better if you're only missing 3 skills vs when you're missing 12). So you really can't list the odds if the odds themselves change.

Posted

Uh.... no rng cashshop lootbox on KR? What?

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/16061/

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/16060/

Aren't these in KR's cash shop? There's even a Russian variant of the latter.

http://bddatabase.net/us/item/17499/

I care what's in our localization, and the players in other localizations can care what's in their localizations according to their own cultural preferences and priorities.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmm. BDO has no cash shop RNG boxes is the thing so I don't think this will have any effect on it? Opening interesting doors nonetheless. 

Edit: Maybe horse skill resets?

Actually, the peral shop does have "Unknown Dye Box", and "Unknown Dye Box Bundle".

And one could connect th3e dots that pearl bought under-wear, which gives +Luck, could affect in game RNG based loot.

Personally, I think BDO has taken RNG to an EXTREME level, and like someone lese in this thread mentioned, I think everyone would LOL and/or be in SHOCK to see how EXTREME BDO has taken the RNG, if BDO were ever FORCED to reveal it all..

Posted

Personally, I think BDO has taken RNG to an EXTREME level, and like someone lese in this thread mentioned, I think everyone would LOL and/or be in SHOCK to see how EXTREME BDO has taken the RNG, if BDO were ever FORCED to reveal it all..

The Russians had a copy of the decrypted paz files from a client about a year ago.

Posted

Actually, the peral shop does have "Unknown Dye Box", and "Unknown Dye Box Bundle".

That's a fair point, although you'd have to be insane to spend cash on them for use as dyes when you can get Merv's Palette.

And one could connect th3e dots that pearl bought under-wear, which gives +Luck, could affect in game RNG based loot.

Wow, those dots you're connecting are a long way away from why cash shop luckyboxes are widely viewed as predatory.

Posted

I love everyone eppears to have become a lawyer in last few hours ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted

http://insidegamesasia.biz/korea-spending-cap-on-online-games-will-be-lifted/

The monthly cap was at 300.000 Won from 2007 to 2009, from 2009 until today it was 500.000 Won (437$), but wasn't an official regulation until 2013 in which online games had to obide by this as this otherwise meant the release was prohibited.

Though it seems now that this cap will be lifted by next month, which should be good for MMOs as their revenue isn't restricted anymore and may lead to less cookie-cutter MMOs.

Ik you just quoted the article but this smells like horse shit. "prevents new players from entering the market." If you need to spend over 437 USD to "enter the market", something's seriously wrong. Less pay 2 win and more "put in some time you lazy -----er" xD, please.  

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure this will be of much use to BDO unless they add some additional laws to cover BS like RNG pet tiering up, the dye boxes, the horse skill change coupons...Hell, they should go ahead and require indications of probability for all RNG that involves a cash shop at all. So if they're going to sell us artisan's memory for the purpose of fixing our RNG broken gear, they have to tell us the odds of successfully enchanting gear so we know what we're buying with artisan's memory. Tell me the odds of getting instant accel or sideways move when I buy a skill change coupon. 

There's no reason we shouldn't know these things, other than to allow PA to make a few extra bucks off people with 0 self control that will throw money at a target forever until they hit it, even when they're effectively blind. The system in this game could literally be rigged to manipulate probabilities based on an individual player's spending habits. Did that player spend $1000 on launch day? Don't give him a single useful skill until he spends a solid $50-$100 on skill change coupons. Give him the dandelion drop, but drop its enchanting success rate from his projected target from 15% to 2% while he works his way through a few hundred artisan's memory. Alternate the pattern on players in similar situations (so increase 10% of the other big spender's enchanting odds substantially), to avoid being obvious enough to track with word of mouth alone.

Now obviously, this may or may not be going on. I personally think something to this effect goes on in BDO, but I have no proof other than other people that think the same. But the fact is that it could be going on, because it's possible and not illegal. There's nothing stopping them from doing it, and if they know how to do it, it wouldn't even make sense for them not to do it unless PA/Kakao are just too honest to want more money. They just need to have programs changing things based on the data they collect on what players do. Over time, games could be able to push player spending to the maximum upper limit of a person's tolerance without losing their business. It'd be effective, profitable, manipulative as hell.

Hopefully China started something with this. Regulations in gaming might be a slippery slope for all I know, but gaming as a whole already seems to be sliding down this RNG slope as is, so **** it, I don't care anymore. Regulate away.

Edited by Xialoh
1 person likes this

Posted

I Find it interesting to read these, i never liked the RNG drop rates (Another mmo in particular made me despise them, yet ill keep names out of it) but i think its a nice system to have. If only MMO's from other countries abide by this rule... maybe my wallet will cry less xD Especially with those phone MMOs! 90% of them are terrible with that kinda thing! xD  

Posted

Especially with those phone MMOs! 90% of them are terrible with that kinda thing! xD  

LMAO. phone MMO. Is this a joke?

Posted (edited)

Ik you just quoted the article but this smells like horse shit. "prevents new players from entering the market." If you need to spend over 437 USD to "enter the market", something's seriously wrong. Less pay 2 win and more "put in some time you lazy -----er" xD, please.  

The new players are other companies trying to make MMOs and not actual players. If you can only get a fixed amount of cash from people, then it is safer for companies to make a cookie-cutter MMO than hoping an innovation will be the next "WoW killer".

In this article you can also read how devastating this regulation was for the online gaming industry:

NHN took a 50 percent loss across certain game genres, Neowhiz undertook massive layoffs, and CJNet reported a 24 percent loss in revenues year on year.

Those weren't the best news if you wanted to work in the business.

Edited by Alterist