• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Dark Knight "Mana Problems" SOLVED and Some Hidden Flows

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ok so I've been hearing a lot of complaining about people playing the dark knight and chugging pots in PvE. I'm here to tell you that it's unnecessary. I wanted to help people out and illustrate some of the abilities we can use to recover that oh so precious resource. 

W+RMB, Shift+LMB (no flow), Shift+RMB (off CD), Shift+F, W+F, Space (Off CD after most abilities), and Sidestepping (Shift + A or D)

All of the above skills will recover your mana. I have left out the obvious side attacks and autoattacks. Also I recorded a brief demonstration of just how all this comes together. I drained my character of mana and engaged a few centaurs to show just how much mana regen we have when skills are (relatively) properly rotated. Sorry about the resolution as I play on an ultrawide display. 

In PvP I chug pots likes an unapologetic alcoholic in a fraternity so I am not claiming this is all true when engaging players. Feel free to drink yourself to death in that department. If you are still struggling feel free to slap some extraction gems into your main hand weapon and watch the mana flow back into your bar. Not exactly optimal in PvP but if you aren't ready to join the DeSync fuster cluck it's fine.  

There are also some hidden flow combos that I was experimenting on with Rinku Talks (https://www.youtube.com/user/rinkucantalk), who made his own guide last night that you can check out on youtube as well. Here's what we found:

Seeds Shatter Shatter Seeds (standard)
Seeds Shatter Shatter Seeds (distance)
Shatter Seeds Seeds Shatter (standard)
Shatter Seeds Seeds Shatter (distance)
Shatter Seeds Shatter Seeds

Also a note to make when trying out the combos:

Seeds Shatter Seeds Shatter - DOES NOT WORK

You can stitch these abilities together without interrupting them to pull of some spicy combos (albeit most likely impractical). Again I try showing off exactly what this looks like to hopefully clarify.

If anyone has any more information as to how to make this effective in PvE or PvP it'd be awesome if you could share that knowledge. For now it's just for style points.

Any questions, comments, or concerns I will be happy to address.

Happy Grinding

Edited by Anomys
left out a skill in description
2 people like this

Posted

hi. thanx for Your advices!

could U pls list here some of Your  "properly rotated"  pve combos?

Posted (edited)

Already discovered all this myself, but nice for sharing it. I do wonder if it'll help people though - mana management for me just came as a natural part of doing stuff, using skills and all that. The fact that some DKs struggle with it suggests that people just...aren't using much variety in their abilities, or sidestepping to dodge attacks, I guess? Maybe everyone's just spamming spirit legacy? I do that occasionally, with the understanding that it's inefficient and will drain my mana. It's a nice filler when I can't remember what's off CD at that moment, and I hate switching to Krieg. I also suspect that this widespread insistence on using pre-awakening abilities might also be related, since none of the ones everyone insists on using generate any mana, and people seem to favor them over the mana generating side skills in the awakening tree from what I've seen in the occasional grinding vid.

Sort of a shame that weapon swapping on this class is nowhere near as smooth and convenient as it was on my sorc though >_>. I might love it as much as everyone else if it was. Hope they make some serious changes with that whole second awakening thing, because I hate the feel of most of the preawakening skills..

edit: all that said, I do have one question. Are you using Grip of Grudge? I see you mention the skill shortcut, but I didn't notice you using it in the video. I removed it early on because I wanted to have skill points for all the stuff at 58, and now I don't remember if it was horrendous or not. Is it worth having? iirc, it's pretty damned slow. An animation cancel for it would be nice, but I think I failed to figure any out.

Edited by Xialoh

Posted (edited)

hi. thanx for Your advices!

could U pls list here some of Your  "properly rotated"  pve combos?

I wasn't following a particular rotation set in stone, simply using the abilities that I listed that I know will regen mana off of cooldown (as well as others that are filler like cooldown Spirit Legacy and Soul Snatch).
Getting comfortable with the cooldowns and understanding the full skill descriptions is key to playing Dark Knight without drowning in mana pots in PvE and that's hopefully what people can take away from this post.

Already discovered all this myself, but nice for sharing it. I do wonder if it'll help people though - mana management for me just came as a natural part of doing stuff, using skills and all that. The fact that some DKs struggle with it suggests that people just...aren't using much variety in their abilities, or sidestepping to dodge attacks, I guess? Maybe everyone's just spamming spirit legacy? I do that occasionally, with the understanding that it's inefficient and will drain my mana. It's a nice filler when I can't remember what's off CD at that moment, and I hate switching to Krieg. I also suspect that this widespread insistence on using pre-awakening abilities might also be related, since none of the ones everyone insists on using generate any mana, and people seem to favor them over the mana generating side skills in the awakening tree from what I've seen in the occasional grinding vid.

Sort of a shame that weapon swapping on this class is nowhere near as smooth and convenient as it was on my sorc though >_>. I might love it as much as everyone else if it was. Hope they make some serious changes with that whole second awakening thing, because I hate the feel of most of the preawakening skills..

edit: all that said, I do have one question. Are you using Grip of Grudge? I see you mention the skill shortcut, but I didn't notice you using it in the video. I removed it early on because I wanted to have skill points for all the stuff at 58, and now I don't remember if it was horrendous or not. Is it worth having? iirc, it's pretty damned slow. An animation cancel for it would be nice, but I think I failed to figure any out.

I do not use Grip of Grudge at level 60. While grinding back on pirate island at 59 I did use it in a pinch before getting accustomed to the rest of my abilities. I also struggled since I had relatively low AP at the time so it was nice while solo grinding for the almost guaranteed back attack. Would really only recommend the skill if you have the extra skillpoints to spend after getting almost everything else.

EDIT: Soul Snatch is a animation cancel for almost all your abilities. It also cancels the ability effect so user be warned.

P.S. I accidentally added the pictures below that were intended for a different post and can't figure out how to remove them so I'm just giving up lol. I need an adult.

2017-04-24_325417346.JPG

2017-04-24_325446449.JPG

Edited by Anomys

Posted

Ok so I've been hearing a lot of complaining about people playing the dark knight and chugging pots in PvE. I'm here to tell you that it's unnecessary. I wanted to help people out and illustrate some of the abilities we can use to recover that oh so precious resource. 

W+RMB, Shift+LMB (no flow), Shift+RMB (off CD), Shift+F, W+F, Space (Off CD after most abilities), and Sidestepping (Shift + A or D)

All of the above skills will recover your mana. I have left out the obvious side attacks and autoattacks. Also I recorded a brief demonstration of just how all this comes together. I drained my character of mana and engaged a few centaurs to show just how much mana regen we have when skills are (relatively) properly rotated. Sorry about the resolution as I play on an ultrawide display. 

In PvP I chug pots likes an unapologetic alcoholic in a fraternity so I am not claiming this is all true when engaging players. Feel free to drink yourself to death in that department. If you are still struggling feel free to slap some extraction gems into your main hand weapon and watch the mana flow back into your bar. Not exactly optimal in PvP but if you aren't ready to join the DeSync fuster cluck it's fine.  

There are also some hidden flow combos that I was experimenting on with Rinku Talks (https://www.youtube.com/user/rinkucantalk), who made his own guide last night that you can check out on youtube as well. Here's what we found:

Seeds Shatter Shatter Seeds (standard)
Seeds Shatter Shatter Seeds (distance)
Shatter Seeds Seeds Shatter (standard)
Shatter Seeds Seeds Shatter (distance)
Shatter Seeds Shatter Seeds

Also a note to make when trying out the combos:

Seeds Shatter Seeds Shatter - DOES NOT WORK

You can stitch these abilities together without interrupting them to pull of some spicy combos (albeit most likely impractical). Again I try showing off exactly what this looks like to hopefully clarify.

If anyone has any more information as to how to make this effective in PvE or PvP it'd be awesome if you could share that knowledge. For now it's just for style points.

Any questions, comments, or concerns I will be happy to address.

Happy Grinding

Mana management looks good but killing slow as hell.

Posted

Mana management looks good but killing slow as hell.

That's a gear issue :(

Posted

You missed 2 secret flows and get rid of the F*UCKING WEEB MUSIC YOU CUCK

Posted

Get rid of yourself

Posted

Get rid of yourself

Posted

lol, post from 2 accounts much ? how old are you...... definitely beta

Posted

lol, post from 2 accounts much ? how old are you...... definitely beta

Mute your audio and/or play your own soundtrack. Problem solved.

Posted

Already discovered all this myself, but nice for sharing it. I do wonder if it'll help people though - mana management for me just came as a natural part of doing stuff, using skills and all that. The fact that some DKs struggle with it suggests that people just...aren't using much variety in their abilities, or sidestepping to dodge attacks, I guess? Maybe everyone's just spamming spirit legacy? 

Well said.

Only lazy DK's need to chug mana pots when grinding, you truly never need to purchase one.  Worse case scenario is using your shift+space after everything's dead.

Posted (edited)

Well said.

Only lazy DK's need to chug mana pots when grinding, you truly never need to purchase one.  Worse case scenario is using your shift+space after everything's dead.

Well mostly true... mana regen doesn't really work that well if your killing grey mobs for say a guild quest or something. Bringing some pots for QoL isn't a bad idea if your doing things like that, but yes mana pots are not necessary for a majority of things.

Edited by Nimalla

Posted (edited)

Well mostly true... mana regen doesn't really work that well if your killing grey mobs for say a guild quest or something. Bringing some pots for QoL isn't a bad idea if your doing things like that, but yes mana pots are not necessary for a majority of things.

This is true and you bring up a great point that I neglected to mention. The mana regeneration on the DK only really works on enemys that can tank multiple hits from you for the return to be greater than the amount spent. (Most of the abilities state "EP +x per good hit" or something like that, so the more hits = more mana)

Thank you for bringing that up.

Edited by Anomys

Posted

You couldn't have said it better with regards to sorc... I think I'm still going to main sorc because while I like DK a lot I love my sorc.   Both are really fun though...

Posted

I feel like its the same thing as people telling me I don't need sp pots on maewha. Sure I don't but if i use potions i clear twice as fast. 

2 people like this