• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do you think there will ever be an MMO that looks as good as Black Desert in the near future?

47 posts in this topic

Posted

It seems like there arent too many.

Posted (edited)

If there is one, it will most likely be more Themepark.

The newer MMO trends right now point to Themepark, Survival Sandbox, Space Sim (with the few SuperHero Kickstarters round now)

Edited by Ravare

Posted (edited)

In the future.... That's an undeniable yes. 

Obviously in the future games will far surpass BDO. 

But let's say within the few games I see right now, ashes of creation is the only decent game on the horizon and its pretty ugly compared to BDO.

BDO also has combat that is unbeatable rn.

Edited by Pleazure
6 people like this

Posted

the mmorpg type of games is in pretty bad spot since few years,quantity over quality,fast money...

The mmorpg need time like a good wine but we live in a consumerism society.¬¬

Posted

Ash of creation is the perfect scam for the gullibles.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ashes of Creation is vaporware for idiots. There are people already pledging thousands of dollars for a game that has no publisher and is "projected" for late 2019...haha

Ash of creation is the perfect scam for the gullibles.

^^this

Posted

Black Desert 2, Guild wars 3, FFXX(Final Fantasy 20) online

Posted

MMO's still have problems balancing looks vs performance vs accessibility.  If you have a publisher/developer willing to make less money to cater to a smaller niche crowd, then yes, you could have MMO's looking as good as BDO.  But for the most part games publishers/developers are shooting for better performance and accessibility (wider audience).  

Most games are still wanting to have features such as large scale PvE raids, or large PvP battles such as GW2's WvWvW where you easily have over 100 players in the same zone fighting at each given time (3 servers fighting in the same zone).  BDO can't do these things well because they tipped the scale towards looking good while sacrificing performance & accessibility.  We can't even go through towns without choking a bit here and there.

So uh will there ever be a MMO looking as good as BDO?  Sure, it can be done now, it actually had be done before.  But MMO's requiring high system requirements and performing poorly usually don't garner a large enough playerbase for rest of the games publishers/developers to follow suit.  The incentive to lose out a large chunk of the available playerbase just isn't very attractive.

At the moment WoW is all about accessibility, which is why it has the largest playerbase still.  BDO is all about looks and shinies.  GW2 to me is kind of a fairly good balance of the two.  Hopefully we get more choices in the future as there's a serious lack of choices on the market right now for people wanting good looking, action combat MMO's.

Posted

In the future, yes. In the near future, possibly but not likely to be as good as BDO.

Posted (edited)

the mmorpg type of games is in pretty bad spot since few years,quantity over quality,fast money...

The mmorpg need time like a good wine but we live in a consumerism society.¬¬

A lot mmos I have seen as well seem to be get quick cash schemes. So yes in the future possibly but as of right now doubtful >.>

Edited by Dalenos

Posted

Eh.... I'd presume the earliest will be alpha or possibly beta around mid 2018/early 2019. Release first 2020-2022 (NOT counting "early access/forever beta" games), presuming you want something similar to a complete game, not just the graphics or character creation. 

Then maybe the first VRMMO at around 2026-2028 that doesn't look like minecraft or pixelated as hell, maybe 2028-2030 for one with good graphics/near or better than bdo's graphics. Presuming VR becomes the standard of gaming ofc, which right now is highly unlikely. 

Posted

Bless?

Posted

There is a MMO called "Bless", which looks as good, graphics wise, but is on/off again from even closed beta.

The above said, I frankly do not know how other games, like WoW, EQ2, GW2, keep their low end graphics as they do, as they don't hold a candle stick to BDO.

Posted

There is a MMO called "Bless", which looks as good, graphics wise, but is on/off again from even closed beta.

The above said, I frankly do not know how other games, like WoW, EQ2, GW2, keep their low end graphics as they do, as they don't hold a candle stick to BDO.

isn't it gonna be p2w though? :x after what I've heard at least >.< 

Also, it's because higher ress = more rendering, no? :o I could be completely off, I'm not good with these sort of things xD. If that's the case it'd mean large pvp could start having problems etc with rubberbanding and such "lovely" issues (not to mention pve etc, but it tends to be the pvp players who screams the loudest). 

Posted

MMO's that will soon kill BDO with percentage estimates

Star citizen- 20% will leave for it

Crowfall- 10% will leave for it

Ashes of creation- 60% will leave for it

Albion online- 5% will leave for it

Camelot unchained- 20% will leave for it

2 people like this

Posted

"Lifelike" Shaders and polycounts don't matter (unless it's in VR)... Dozens of games have tried to tried to make things super realistic or have super expensive bandwidth.  But more often than not all they end up making is a world that still feels lifeless because the Props all have to be Static.  The presentation BDO won people over with was the Immersion of making as many things in the world as possible feel like they already have their own purpose beyond just sitting there exclusively for the player.  When you see something that looks like it was only put there ONLY to sell the current scene it's in, it has that "ShowRoom" effect that breaks the 4th wall

Posted

isn't it gonna be p2w though? :x after what I've heard at least >.< 

Also, it's because higher ress = more rendering, no? :o I could be completely off, I'm not good with these sort of things xD. If that's the case it'd mean large pvp could start having problems etc with rubberbanding and such "lovely" issues (not to mention pve etc, but it tends to be the pvp players who screams the loudest). 

I do not know how it's going to make money. As for "rubber-banding", I think that is unique to BDO, as they apply SUPER-UBER-STRICT server-side movement control, coupled with terrible lag since the server merging. I say this, based as a software developer, clearly seeing how other games, allow leniency with lag, to trust/allow their client software to control movement to some degree, as opposed to how BDO does it.

As an example, WAY WAY WAY back, to WoW during its first xpac, "The Burning Legion" (TBC), there was lots of horrible lag, as they had both horde and alliance enter the new world at the SAME SPOT. They wised up on that in later games. So there were lots of server lag moments, but your movement, was still MOSTLY controlled from the client. In once such lag moment, I actually was able to run through high level content area, and see parts of the world where I would have surely been killed by mobs, had the server not lagged. When the server regained (lol) consciousness, I was half way across the new world. In contrast, in BDO, the game will literally rubber-band you back, 2 feet, if the server can't 100% control your movement.

Posted

Graphics is not the biggest plus on BDO for me, ye it looks amazing but BLESS or any other new UE4 MMORPG we are gonna get the following years is going to look almost as good but so what? BDO have something that no other game ever had or is gonna have in the future imo, the unbelievable addicting combat system, the feel of your char's movement, the spectacular skills especially spells! I play MMORPGs for close to 15 years I never seen so much eye-candy while casting a spell before on any game I played in the past, that's the hardest part for any studio to accomplish when creating a new MMORPG, to make a combat that the people will find exciting even after grinding mobs for over 1000 hours, actually in any other game people would have quit long before they reach even 100 hours if the battle system is boring, BLESS for example looks amazing but people keep on complain about how boring the combat looks or how cheap & unrealistic the movement animation is, PA succeed on the most vital part in an MMORPG, the combat as it's the thing you are gonna do for the most part, if the combat is good the rest is easy, that's the hardest part & 95% of studios out there fail miserably on doing that.

2 people like this

Posted

MMO's that will soon kill BDO with percentage estimates

Star citizen- 20% will leave for it

Crowfall- 10% will leave for it

Ashes of creation- 60% will leave for it

Albion online- 5% will leave for it

Camelot unchained- 20% will leave for it

I just checked out Ashes of Creation, and I agree with your 60% premise, so far.

Posted

In terms of "looks"? Probably not in the distant future of pc games. Black Desert looks amazing and plays awesome (when its not lagging of course). Then if you are talking about pvp and style of gameplay, like fps style pvp, or 3rd person style, or a moba type top down pvp. Personally for me my favorite of all time is Darkfall (the first not the shitty 2nd Unholy Wars). It was a fps style combat, high twitch style and above all FULL LOOT. It was just an awesome game if you loved pure pvp based games with sieges and what not. Unfortunately it was ran by a bunch of plebs called Aventurine and it went under.

Luckily a small team leased a license to fix and update the game the way it was supposed to be. They went through the alpha/beta phase for a while and the game will launch on may 5th, its called Rise of Agon now. If you like fast paced first person pvp with full loot, then this is your game.

Posted

I just checked out Ashes of Creation, and I agree with your 60% premise, so far.

You don't think there's a problem that it's coming from a Multi-Level-Marketer (read: Pyramid model) $120-for-juice merchant  who then vacuumed up the people who weren't good enough to work at DayBreak?  ...And you probably also weren't aware that the only reason it's suddenly got so much hype is because people who Refer others back to its kickstarter are literally getting referall CASH in exchange?

...cuz if that's the known framework missing from these Guestimates then I guarantee most ppl who leave BDO for it, will be right back here in a month or less feeling like they just invested in Trump University

2 people like this

Posted

Star citizen...buy it play it, put bdo in the background doing nothing but fish or process while killing people in space with graphics far beyond bdo and the framerate...well, smooth 80fps with maxed out graphics :) 

Posted

Black Desert 2

Posted

Only Bluehole studio can do better or close.

Posted

I hope so cause this rng gearing up sucks

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0