• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keep lifeskilling on main or make alts?

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm sort of new to the game but should I keep lifeskills on my main or make alt(s)? I would prefer to keep everything on my main character but is this something I would regret later on for not making alts?

Edited by woodyfly

Posted

I'm sort of new to the game but should I keep lifeskills on my main or make alt(s)? I would prefer to keep everything on my main character but is this something I would regret later on for not making alts?

Now that the only life skills that use energy are gathering and farming (and fishing if you want to), it's perfectly feasible to do it all on one character.

So it's up to you.

Posted

I have a lifeskill alt that just stays at Heidel.  The alt handles farming, cooking, processing, marketboard sales, feeding pets, imperial delivery, gathering.  My main is usually at Valencia so if I need a break I just switch to my alt, start crafting then afk.

I also have a fishing alt in Valencia, she handles sales in Valencia and if I'm really tired and cant be bothered to sort the mats on my heidel alt I just switch to my Valencia alt and start autofishing.  Valencia has a large lake in it, and a imperial fishing delivery npc as well. The alt is extremely useful if your grinding in Valencia, especially if you have multiple storage maids.  You can unequip your gear that needs repairs and have your Valencian alt repair it for you and use the storage maid to get it back.  Also, you can dump the tokens in Valencia storage using a maid, have the alt sell the tokens in a vendor, deposit the gold and convert it to gold bars, and your main can remotely pick it up using a storage maid anywhere in Valencia.

Posted

I keep all my lifeskills on my main. Like AlnilamE said above,

Now that the only life skills that use energy are gathering and farming (and fishing if you want to)

it's easy to have all lifeskills on your main without constantly being low on energy.

Posted

I have a lifeskill alt that just stays at Heidel.  The alt handles farming, cooking, processing, marketboard sales, feeding pets, imperial delivery, gathering.  My main is usually at Valencia so if I need a break I just switch to my alt, start crafting then afk.

I also have a fishing alt in Valencia, she handles sales in Valencia and if I'm really tired and cant be bothered to sort the mats on my heidel alt I just switch to my Valencia alt and start autofishing.  Valencia has a large lake in it, and a imperial fishing delivery npc as well. The alt is extremely useful if your grinding in Valencia, especially if you have multiple storage maids.  You can unequip your gear that needs repairs and have your Valencian alt repair it for you and use the storage maid to get it back.  Also, you can dump the tokens in Valencia storage using a maid, have the alt sell the tokens in a vendor, deposit the gold and convert it to gold bars, and your main can remotely pick it up using a storage maid anywhere in Valencia.

Yeah I was thinking of keeping an alt in my main town to handle cooking and processing. Is there any downside to that if I don't do it on my main?

Posted

Aside from the Fame money. With 5xlvl 49 and 3 moving on to awakening, 4 of the 5 so far having blue tier (skilled) Gathering, Processing, cooking and Alchemy it nets me 500K a day rather than 250K.

Posted (edited)

Alchemy will progress fastest on an Alt b/c the Dailies that give the most LifeXP for it are all in Olvia for instance.

...though I can't think of any major example beyond that where the dailies are all concentrated in a single place (hunting, possibly?)

..and OBVIOUSLY if you do Gardening you're going to want an Alt for that (preferably with a Noble wagon parked there too b/c Seeds don't stack)

Edited by iller

Posted

Yeah I was thinking of keeping an alt in my main town to handle cooking and processing. Is there any downside to that if I don't do it on my main?

I don't see any downside, both my main and my alt are artisan on cooking and processing since I used to do everything on my main before.  It's good to have high level cooking and processing on your main/alt thou for Fame purposes, Melting weapons on your main like those rosar weapons gahaz/cadry drop, making emergency purified water/star anise tea, or chopping some fir plywood in trent.

Posted

You could split life skills on multiple chars and this would be fine. But you could also not split them and be the hottest person around.:D

798367416.thumb.jpg.2815eddef8ba90a487f6

4 people like this

Posted

There is a significant factor, weight limit, unless you are willing to buy weight limit to all your alts, spreading life skills like cooking, processing and alchemy through diferent characters becomes less eficient and more annoying than having to move your main from place to place. 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Had the same question when I started. Now I have realized I can't focus on every single lifeskill.

Im atm doing cooking and farming on one alt, because it complements each other nicely (beer cooking for CP) and this character stays in the same town all the time. His energy is used mostly for farming.

I have one alt that does AFK stuff like Fishing and Training. I also plan on making her my trading alt because it fits to fishing and training quite well. Her energy is used for stuff like night vendor and node investment, also workers and amity game. Maybe she will become a secondary gatherer too should I feel the need to gather more. Good thing about fishing / training alt is you can quickly switch to him when youre about to leave and don't have to walk all the way back with your main. 

My main is doing gathering and processing, since Gathering requires a lot of energy and my main is the character I mostly play with. Processing needs gathering for some things. I use this character to gather and process stuff for my workers / crafting.

I also have three more alts that have no life skills, one of them is for bosses the other two just failstack characters. Energy mostly used for NV.

Currently having no plans of doing alchemy, sailing or hunting. I'm too busy already.

Edited by Sareth

Posted

well, it depends, I usually keep energy intensive life skills, which is pretty much gathering, on characters that will be logged on a lot, so gathering is on my main and my cook and alchemy characters

Then theres Trading, fishing, hunting, training, these arent energy intensive and safer to do on a low level, so they are on an alt.

Posted

It's useful to have a life skill alt in your main city. At higher levels you'll start grinding(or trading&questing)in areas that takes a while to reach, so it's nice being able to just relogg and setting up a craft session if you need a longer afk.

Up to you what life skills that alt should specialize in. Really no need to be different than the ones on your main at all. The purpose is being able to do life skills and make money afk, without having to ride or sail back to town and leave the grind area with your main.

Fishing or training horses on a character eligible for PvP can be risky(outside of safe zone), especially if your guild gets into wars. So certain people keep an alt level 49.99 for those activities. Downside is the fact that a fishing character needs tons and tons of inventory, something you naturally want on your main since it cost money or loyalty. But if you want to fish outside of safe zone and never ever die to PvP, you need it on a lowbie alt. Have to decide yourself if it's worth it.

Lastly you might want to level gathering on more than one character. It's nice during drop events when farming for shards. However, main gatherer should obv be the character you play the most, for max energy recovery.

Posted

..and OBVIOUSLY if you do Gardening you're going to want an Alt for that (preferably with a Noble wagon parked there too b/c Seeds don't stack)

There is a significant factor, weight limit, unless you are willing to buy weight limit to all your alts, spreading life skills like cooking, processing and alchemy through diferent characters becomes less eficient and more annoying than having to move your main from place to place. 

These are the big factors I've noticed.  I have an alt who just stays at my farms.  I do all other lifeskills on my main, who has maxed his weight limit. 

Posted (edited)

I'd recommend you to keep them in only 1 char as I did but now in Hindsight I'd advice you to have a lvl 49 fisher so you can fish in combat zones in Velias hotspot, have at least 2 alts for farming, and also keep in mind the fact that after Skilled 1 in cooking; you see almost the same results as a Guru, so if you're in need of some beer or some such shit, maybe make a town alt a cook aswell, the same applies to alchemy; I know this because I've leveld 12 alts to Professional 1 Cooking & Alchemy for the Life Fame (you get 15 points each, btw)

Gathering/Processing rely alot on your skill level so keep em on your main, although IMHO having an extra Processing char is pretty useful, in case you have to afk constantly and/or without previous notice, it's always nice to have a char willing to process if your main is busy doing something else and you dont have the time to get it to town even if you dont have alot of weight, just buy a Hercules set and process flour/hides/or anything that's .10lt, then again this is only for min/maxing purposes.

Edited by Hemuk

Posted

I'd recommend you to keep them in only 1 char as I did but now in Hindsight I'd advice you to have a lvl 49 fisher so you can fish in combat zones in Velias hotspot, have at least 2 alts for farming, and also keep in mind the fact that after Skilled 1 in cooking; you see almost the same results as a Guru, so if you're in need of some beer or some such shit, maybe make a town alt a cook aswell, the same applies to alchemy; I know this because I've leveld 12 alts to Professional 1 Cooking & Alchemy for the Life Fame (you get 15 points each, btw)

Gathering/Processing rely alot on your skill level so keep em on your main, although IMHO having an extra Processing char is pretty useful, in case you have to afk constantly and/or without previous notice, it's always nice to have a char willing to process if your main is busy doing something else and you dont have the time to get it to town even if you dont have alot of weight, just buy a Hercules set and process flour/hides/or anything that's .10lt, then again this is only for min/maxing purposes.

Wait are you saying that skilled level cooking/alchemy vs guru there's not much of a difference in extra crafts?

Posted

Wait are you saying that skilled level cooking/alchemy vs guru there's not much of a difference in extra crafts?

If you think thats bad you should see the difference between a skilled farmer vs a guru farmer.

*hint*higher chance to not spend energy on pruning a.k.a. none*hint*

Posted (edited)

If you think thats bad you should see the difference between a skilled farmer vs a guru farmer.

*hint*higher chance to not spend energy on pruning a.k.a. none*hint*

So most of the crafting skills don't really need to be super super high to be effective? At what level do skills give out a lot of extra products without taking too much time to level them?

Edited by woodyfly

Posted

I have a trader in Valencia because I can't be bothered to run a character out there just to turn in crates. I likewise have another character in Calpheon for processing, cooking and gathering logs from fir/cedar trees. My processor/gatherer used to be my main but it's much more convenient always having them in one location instead of needing to run back and forth between processing and grinding. Yeah, you can have it all on one character but travel time (even with a fast horse) becomes a pain in my experience.

However, I am completely indifferent to rankings or whatever it is people are into.

Posted

Make many many waifus

Posted

You could split life skills on multiple chars and this would be fine. But you could also not split them and be the hottest person around.:D

798367416.thumb.jpg.2815eddef8ba90a487f6

whenever I see someone with all these all I can think is "What a huge loser"

Posted

Yeah I'm afraid that's right, I'm Guru 4 cook and the difference is almost unnoticible, and only in blue items, even dishes proc in the same rate, it's ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm afraid that's right, I'm Guru 4 cook and the difference is almost unnoticible, and only in blue items, even dishes proc in the same rate, it's ridiculous.

That's good news for me lol. I was getting indecisive on who to have the lifeskills. I might as well just get them on both (or all of my characters) if the "peak" of the skills are much lower than I thought. I thought that someone with master skilling would make much more than me at skilled-professional.

Do you know what's the peak for processing?

Edited by woodyfly

Posted

I'd have at least one lv 49 alt for horse training and fishing and maybe trading too so you cant be killed by a holes :)

Posted

That's good news for me lol. I was getting indecisive on who to have the lifeskills. I might as well just get them on both (or all of my characters) if the "peak" of the skills are much lower than I thought. I thought that someone with master skilling would make much more than me at skilled-professional.

Do you know what's the peak for processing?

Yeah, I guess that's good news for the mayoity of people lol.

2.5 Products per process, after that you're better off getting a decent silver clothes to improve your chances and not fail, with +3 clothes, couscous, pearl shop outfit and Master 8 I hardly ever fail, I'm guessing +4 clothes would seal the deal completely.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0