• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

So many UI problems

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Greetings, I've been playing for a while and I've been getting increasingly more pissed off about small UI things that just doesn't make sense.

• When you add or remove dyes from your pallet it gives you a warning every time. Why does it do that? There is absolutely no need to give the player a warning for moving one item from one inventory system to another.
    This applies to many other things, my suggestion is to add a "Do not notify me about this again" button.

• Something that should however have a warning is the "Reset All" button in the options menu.
    I was going to click "Apply" but instead clicked "Reset All" which resorted in the game freezing for a minute while the setting were applied and i came back to me being dead.

• Another thing I would like to see changed when it comes to the "Reset All" button is that it resets all settings.
    I once wanted to reset only the Audio tab and not all my graphics and controls but that doesn't seem to be possible right now.

• Why can you not do certain things while auto travelling? For example open weapon box. It just makes travelling more boring than it already is.

• Why is the search function on the marketplace capital sensitive?

• Why does certain windows positions save while others do not? I would like the game to remember where the window was closed and then when I reopen it, it will open in the same position. I get that perhaps everyone doesn't want it that way but then add an option can be added to enable / disable it.

• The text in, for example, the chat can sometimes be very hard to read. I've even experienced thin letters like lower-case L disappearing completely. It would be nice to have an option to get larger text without scaling the entire UI.
    Thank to Moonshadow for reminding me of this one.

• Last one probably doesn't concern a lot of people but I'll post it anyways while I am at it.
    I play on 3 screens which works for the most part because of the nice "Edit UI" feature. However, it's kinda annoying to turn my head all the way to the corner of my screen to look at my LVL. My suggestion is to make all UI elements that are currently not movable, movable. Or at least add an option to make them so. 

This next part is about thing I have not personally experienced but others have complained about:

From Secundus Minutius Hora:
* Quick slot - Labeled with 1 to 0 from left to right. But you don't activate it with 1 to 0. You have to press the hotkey you assigned to slot 1 to 0. Why not show the actual assigned key?
* Settings: Screen - I adjusted interface scaling, pressed "Apply". Wasn't good enough, adjusted more. Pressed .... pressed ... why can't I press Apply again? Not even grayed out, just ... doesn't work anymore.
* Profile tells me "MP Recovery : 3" ... every hour? Every second? How often? Actually it is every 10 seconds. But why is there no info about it? By the way, where is may Accuracy stat?
* Have you ever tried to write text in the "Introduce Yourself" window on the profile? Basic things don't work like Pos1, End, line up/down and the selection is not visible.
* Selling stuff - I want to sell junk fast. Don't want to type value or click "max value" and confirm it. Or did I miss something?
* Drag&Drop Items in bag - You have to drag, release the mouse button and than click again to drop. That's not drag&drop, that's drag&click. Why so complicated?
* Keybindings are reset to default for each new character and there is no save+load.
* Keys displayed in the Menu for the icons are always the default keys no matter what key you've actually chosen in the settings. - Which means they are just wrong (at least for me).

From koroshiya:
UI scaling cap for 4K resolution needs to be at least 200%, instead of capping at 120%. The UI is still pretty small at 120%.

From Ellen Chan:
* for me when I try to press boxes (eg alternatives in menues etc) it does not work unless I have the mouse cursor about 1 cm below the box I want to press making it look like i am pressning the box below instead.
(This only seem to occur when in windowed mode, Thanks Vorkrunne)

Thank you for reading
Please post any other problems you've experienced and I may add them to the list for easy viewing

Not really sure how likes work but if it helps making this post seen, please do like it if you agree.

Edited by WhiteAutumn
20 people like this

Posted

I do agree

1 person likes this

Posted

Agree aswell.

Especially moving the UI around and resize it individually would be sweet.  Like in  SWTOR for example.
Personally I would love the text in the game to be clearer and easier to read aswell.  Lots of textboxes and whatnot, seems to be in superlow resolution(best way I can describe it). Making the text more crisp, maybe adding more shadow to the letters or some sort of dark background to text.  Sometimes(or rather often actually) it's hard to see what that text just said coz it's white and the background happened to be white or bright (like the sky, or whatever might've been behind the text).

I've been messing around a lot with the UI, different sizes, even different resolutions in the game. But never could I get it to show me the text really clear and crisp.
Sure I'm playing the game on a 48" TV, but really, that shouldn't matter.  Most games have no problems making the ingame text readible.

Only text this is almost always easy to read, are the subtitles in cutscenes.

But for me it feels like the textboxes, let's say the tooltip for a skill for example, hovering my mouse over a skill, tooltip pops up, the text and most of that entire box/tooltip seems to have such a low resolution. Letters are kinda jagged.  Imagine the letter I (as in interesting), it's looking as someone drew it by hand, while being drunk.  Almost.
Hard to really explain what I mean, but in short, text and textboxes feels like they have a superlow resolution compared to the rest of the game. AntiAliasing doesnt help the text one bit either.

Anyways, thats a longwinded way to say I want to be able to move around and resize the UI the way we want, and make the text clearer and bigger. Coz even with the UI resized to max, it still doesnt make the text much easier to read.

4 people like this

Posted

I agree with everything here. I was gonna make a post like this but found this one first.

2 people like this

Posted

My notes:

• Quick slot - Labeled with 1 to 0 from left to right. But you don't activate it with 1 to 0. You have to press the hotkey you assigned to slot 1 to 0. Why not show the actual assigned key?
  • Walking - Walk forward and if you stop (release key), you go 3 step further... and bypass your target. But if you tap backward, you stop where you are (almost). (And always the silly animation when he stops walking. What is he doing? Sucking his thumb?)
  • Keybindings - No Shift/Alt/Ctrl+<Key> combinations possible? And can't use Alt at all?
  • Settings: Screen - I adjusted interface scaling, pressed "Apply". Wasn't good enough, adjusted more. Pressed .... pressed ... why can't I press Apply again? Not even grayed out, just ... doesn't work anymore.
  • Profile tells me "MP Recovery : 3" ... every hour? Every second? How often? Actually it is every 10 seconds. But why is there no info about it? By the way, where is may Accuracy stat?
  • Have you ever tried to write text in the "Introduce Yourself" window on the profile? Basic things don't work like Pos1, End, line up/down and the selection is not visible.
  • Selling stuff - I want to sell junk fast. Don't want to type value or click "max value" and confirm it. Or did I miss something?
  • Oh, the bag - Locked spaces ... and you unlock it by ... well, GIYF. No help/tooltip/info in game at this point.
  • Drag&Drop Items in bag - You have to drag, release the mouse button and than click again to drop. That's not drag&drop, that's drag&click. Why so complicated?
  • Dialog Mini-Quest - Drag&Drop the topics/persons like items in the bag? Nope. Left click, move mouse, right click. ... it's all about convenience.
  • And the obvious thing: To change the character you have to chose "disconnect". That reminds me that I have to press the Start-Button in order to shut down the PC. :P
  • Keybindings are reset to default for each new character and there is no save+load.
  • Keys displayed in the Menu for the icons are always the default keys no matter what key you've actually chosen in the settings. - Which means they are just wrong (at least for me).
  • Ending a dialog - You are Always in mouse mode. So you can't just turn the camera around. You have to either press the key to leave mouse mode or you have to move at lest one step to leave mouse mode.
  • Walk to quest target - If you interrupt the walk and want to continue... you have to click once to disable it first and then click again to re-enable it before your character starts to walk. So glad I tried the auto-walk-key. Didn't know it follows the chosen path.
  • Skill - Learned the Freeze skill, Info says "<down> + E" ... guess what? Doesn't work! E is a quick slot for me and it always performs the skill  in the slot. Doesn't matter if I press <down> or not. So it is not E, it is the ... can't remember ... secondary attack Nr. 2? Well, labels are just wrong.

Some of the points may be intended like the walking thing.
But I was totally frustrated with the game because of these small things. They bothered me the whole time.

3 people like this

Posted

pls fix these thing, nao!

Posted (edited)

I agree with all of the OP's suggestions.

The most annoying thing is how difficult reading text is. My eyes really felt strained. I found myself closing my eyes and giving them a few minutes of rest. 

Text in UI boxes is clear and crisp. No problems there.

Test in the chat box is TERRIBLE. We should have font options and be able to scale font size individually. Making the rest of my UI massive and cumbersome only made the text blurry. 

We should also have the option to make the chat text box background completely black - and have this option be an individual customization per tab. 

EDIT: There is a way to make your chat box completely black. Set up your CROP feature! (I have NOT been able to test this out and verify that it helps with reading chat box text. I still NEED font size increase.)

Edited by Vorkrunne
3 people like this

Posted

My notes:

• Quick slot - Labeled with 1 to 0 from left to right. But you don't activate it with 1 to 0. You have to press the hotkey you assigned to slot 1 to 0. Why not show the actual assigned key?
  • Walking - Walk forward and if you stop (release key), you go 3 step further... and bypass your target. But if you tap backward, you stop where you are (almost). (And always the silly animation when he stops walking. What is he doing? Sucking his thumb?)
  • Keybindings - No Shift/Alt/Ctrl+<Key> combinations possible? And can't use Alt at all?
  • Settings: Screen - I adjusted interface scaling, pressed "Apply". Wasn't good enough, adjusted more. Pressed .... pressed ... why can't I press Apply again? Not even grayed out, just ... doesn't work anymore.
  • Profile tells me "MP Recovery : 3" ... every hour? Every second? How often? Actually it is every 10 seconds. But why is there no info about it? By the way, where is may Accuracy stat?
  • Have you ever tried to write text in the "Introduce Yourself" window on the profile? Basic things don't work like Pos1, End, line up/down and the selection is not visible.
  • Selling stuff - I want to sell junk fast. Don't want to type value or click "max value" and confirm it. Or did I miss something?
  • Oh, the bag - Locked spaces ... and you unlock it by ... well, GIYF. No help/tooltip/info in game at this point.
  • Drag&Drop Items in bag - You have to drag, release the mouse button and than click again to drop. That's not drag&drop, that's drag&click. Why so complicated?
  • Dialog Mini-Quest - Drag&Drop the topics/persons like items in the bag? Nope. Left click, move mouse, right click. ... it's all about convenience.
  • And the obvious thing: To change the character you have to chose "disconnect". That reminds me that I have to press the Start-Button in order to shut down the PC. :P
  • Keybindings are reset to default for each new character and there is no save+load.
  • Keys displayed in the Menu for the icons are always the default keys no matter what key you've actually chosen in the settings. - Which means they are just wrong (at least for me).
  • Ending a dialog - You are Always in mouse mode. So you can't just turn the camera around. You have to either press the key to leave mouse mode or you have to move at lest one step to leave mouse mode.
  • Walk to quest target - If you interrupt the walk and want to continue... you have to click once to disable it first and then click again to re-enable it before your character starts to walk. So glad I tried the auto-walk-key. Didn't know it follows the chosen path.
  • Skill - Learned the Freeze skill, Info says "<down> + E" ... guess what? Doesn't work! E is a quick slot for me and it always performs the skill  in the slot. Doesn't matter if I press <down> or not. So it is not E, it is the ... can't remember ... secondary attack Nr. 2? Well, labels are just wrong.

Some of the points may be intended like the walking thing.
But I was totally frustrated with the game because of these small things. They bothered me the whole time.

Added some of the things I found most note worthy, hope you don't mind.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

UI scaling cap for 4K resolution needs to be at least 200%, instead of capping at 120%. The UI is still pretty small at 120%.

Edited by koroshiya

Posted

I definitely agree - Especially the profile details. I want to be able to read what each stat stands for without having to click the help button as well as stat details. Also the selling of junk would be great - or at least allow us to sell everything with a simple button and don't require us to also press enter to confirm. Just a lot of clicking to sell 1 group of items.

Posted (edited)

All great suggestions!

Edited by Kyodan

Posted (edited)

I really do agree on the point about the GUI being retarded and I very much feel like its state could be altered for the better in many ways, or completely removed and rebuilt. Gosh, korean devs really aren't too keen on the whole GUI thing. I reckon this needs to be attended to in a not so distant future.

One common preoblem that I've noticed myself is the lack of a design "standard" for a loss of better words, since I feel like it has a number of different themes that do not fit the game per say. Not really a huge thing, but will certainly help if it could look a bit tidier and not as flimsy as is is right now.

Another problem, that is not aesthetical but instead, technical, is about the unresponsiveness of the ingame cursor when used within the GUI. It also seems to be a common concern, how the cursor also lacks precision in the way that it "responds to" inventory slots and the like when held a bit under the box or field of question, which is, again, a minor thing but would certainly make the game more enjoyable if fixed.

Other than that I'm very much enjoying the game so far, apart from being defiled by shitty GUIs and having my life be a pest as a result of the non existant voice acting of some characters, and I hope you are enjoying it as well! See you on launch, everyone! :D

Edited by AbbeGreen
2 people like this

Posted

+1

Posted

I agree. Also, for me when I try to press boxes (eg alternatives in menues etc) it does not work unless I have the mouse cursor about 1 cm below the box I want to press making it look like i am pressning the box below instead.

1 person likes this

Posted

People already pointed a lot of the problems, so i would like to just add my voice and just say that i too feel the UI could use some work fixing/improvements.

Posted

I agree. Also, for me when I try to press boxes (eg alternatives in menues etc) it does not work unless I have the mouse cursor about 1 cm below the box I want to press making it look like i am pressning the box below instead.

This is fixed for me when I go full screen.

The moment I return to windowed mode, I have to aim below just like you. 

1 person likes this

Posted

People already pointed a lot of the problems, so i would like to just add my voice and just say that i too feel the UI could use some work fixing/improvements.

Thanks! The more people who agree the likelier it is that it will get changed.

EDIT: There is a way to make your chat box completely black. Set up your CROP feature! (I have NOT been able to test this out and verify that it helps with reading chat box text. I still NEED font size increase.)

Hey that's a nice setup. Thanks for sharing!

Posted

Seriously. Pls fix.

Posted

I wonder sometimes if the devs and publishers even play their own games.  It sounds silly to suggest it but how can so many obvious and simple things just blow right past them?  Hey. This text is kinda hard to read - oh well! Hey. Did you know you can't use modifier keys in the rebinds? OH WELL.  You know guys, did any one notice how every one is bumping into each other when they autorun?  SO BE IT! 

You don't even have to look far and wide to see what simple things are missing solely for the player's ease of use.  Just look at virtually every single other MMORPG created in the last 10 years and it should clue you in on what should be in there. Grappling with the UI should not be part of the gameplay experience and challenge. 

Who is programming this stuff? 

Posted

+1 omg, amazing

Posted

I wonder sometimes if the devs and publishers even play their own games.  It sounds silly to suggest it but how can so many obvious and simple things just blow right past them?  Hey. This text is kinda hard to read - oh well! Hey. Did you know you can't use modifier keys in the rebinds? OH WELL.  You know guys, did any one notice how every one is bumping into each other when they autorun?  SO BE IT! 

You don't even have to look far and wide to see what simple things are missing solely for the player's ease of use.  Just look at virtually every single other MMORPG created in the last 10 years and it should clue you in on what should be in there. Grappling with the UI should not be part of the gameplay experience and challenge. 

Who is programming this stuff? 

I know right? As a coder, playing this game physicaly hurts sometimes

Posted

• Last one probably doesn't concern a lot of people but I'll post it anyways while I am at it.
    I play on 3 screens which works for the most part because of the nice "Edit UI" feature. However, it's kinda annoying to turn my head all the way to the corner of my screen to look at my LVL. My suggestion is to make all UI elements that are currently not movable, movable. Or at least add an option to make them so. 

This is a major issue for myself as well.  Having the corner UI elements fixed makes it very hard to locate or quickly view those items while playing in wider resolutions.  I would also add that the conversation function has issues with these resolutions as well and causes the information box to overlap the astrology box preventing you from seeing the conversation flow.

Posted

Greetings, I've been playing for a while and I've been getting increasingly more pissed off about small UI things that just doesn't make sense.

• When you add or remove dyes from your pallet it gives you a warning every time. Why does it do that? There is absolutely no need to give the player a warning for moving one item from one inventory system to another.
    This applies to many other things, my suggestion is to add a "Do not notify me about this again" button.

• Something that should however have a warning is the "Reset All" button in the options menu.
    I was going to click "Apply" but instead clicked "Reset All" which resorted in the game freezing for a minute while the setting were applied and i came back to me being dead. I posted about this in CBT1.

• Another thing I would like to see changed when it comes to the "Reset All" button is that it resets all settings.
    I once wanted to reset only the Audio tab and not all my graphics and controls but that doesn't seem to be possible right now.

• Why can you not do certain things while auto travelling? For example open weapon box. It just makes travelling more boring than it already is.

• Why is the search function on the marketplace capital sensitive? and why can't we just SEARCH FOR SOMETHING without having to GUESS the category? Is it a plant? Is it a seed/fruit? Is it Cooking? /pulls hair out

• Why does certain windows positions save while others do not? I would like the game to remember where the window was closed and then when I reopen it, it will open in the same position. I get that perhaps everyone doesn't want it that way but then add an option can be added to enable / disable it.

• The text in, for example, the chat can sometimes be very hard to read. I've even experienced thin letters like lower-case L disappearing completely. It would be nice to have an option to get larger text without scaling the entire UI.
    Thank to Moonshadow for reminding me of this one. Posted this myself from CBT1

I play on 3 screens which works for the most part because of the nice "Edit UI" feature. However, it's kinda annoying to turn my head all the way to the corner of my screen to look at my LVL. My suggestion is to make all UI elements that are currently not movable, movable. Or at least add an option to make them so. I just don't understand why BASIC UI MMOG functions are missing in this game! So many games use customizable movement/scaling, even entire UI replacements through XML (EverQuest, EverQuest II; other options are LUA: Firefall, etc).

This next part is about thing I have not personally experienced but others have complained about:

From Secundus Minutius Hora:
* Quick slot - Labeled with 1 to 0 from left to right. But you don't activate it with 1 to 0. You have to press the hotkey you assigned to slot 1 to 0. Why not show the actual assigned key?
* Settings: Screen - I adjusted interface scaling, pressed "Apply". Wasn't good enough, adjusted more. Pressed .... pressed ... why can't I press Apply again? Not even grayed out, just ... doesn't work anymore.
* Profile tells me "MP Recovery : 3" ... every hour? Every second? How often? Actually it is every 10 seconds. But why is there no info about it? By the way, where is may Accuracy stat?
* Have you ever tried to write text in the "Introduce Yourself" window on the profile? Basic things don't work like Pos1, End, line up/down and the selection is not visible.
* Selling stuff - I want to sell junk fast. Don't want to type value or click "max value" and confirm it. Or did I miss something? You can Sell All Selected ; not sure what you mean.
* Drag&Drop Items in bag - You have to drag, release the mouse button and than click again to drop. That's not drag&drop, that's drag&click. Why so complicated?
* Keybindings are reset to default for each new character and there is no save+load. Annoying to set up keybinds for every character. I want my J for "Journal" as in Quest Journal, not O for Dyes.
* Keys displayed in the Menu for the icons are always the default keys no matter what key you've actually chosen in the settings. - Which means they are just wrong (at least for me).

From koroshiya:
UI scaling cap for 4K resolution needs to be at least 200%, instead of capping at 120%. The UI is still pretty small at 120%.

From Ellen Chan:
* for me when I try to press boxes (eg alternatives in menues etc) it does not work unless I have the mouse cursor about 1 cm below the box I want to press making it look like i am pressning the box below instead.
(This only seem to occur when in windowed mode, Thanks Vorkrunne)

Thank you for reading
Please post any other problems you've experienced and I may add them to the list for easy viewing

Not really sure how likes work but if it helps making this post seen, please do like it if you agree.

Posted

I made a little video where I highlight some of the UI problems I've encountered.
This is in no way the be all and end all of UI complaint videos. I've left out many problems that could have been covered if I had more time but I think it's worth sharing anyways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79l9HcXaxsQ

1 person likes this

Posted

These things were posted about a year ago. Do the Devs just not care about us? I'm having issues with the majority of the same issues the OP had a full year ago. Starting to regret buying this game if it means the Developers don't care about our convenience.