• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

How did you come up with your family and character name?

166 posts in this topic

Posted

I suck at creating family and character names, every MMO I have played they are just awful names I got from a name generator.

What do you use to get your names for MMOs?
Hopefully I can use some of your ideas to help me create mine!

Posted

The only name I use in all games I play, easy decision for me.

© 2003 FliP

Posted (edited)

I liked the name Gwynbleidd from the witcher series and ended up using it on Blade and Soul. Lots of people there were planning on playing this as well so I made it my family name so my friends would recognize me. My character name Bismarck because I wanted a name to match the genre of the game. Bismarck is a knight esk name and is an reference to a German war ship back in the day and while Gwynbleidd isn't German, it's elvish, it seemed to fit it anyway. Bismarck is also a rounds holy knight member from Code Geass. 

Edited by Codester87

Posted (edited)

I took Squall (character) and Leonhart (family) from Final Fantasy VIII's protagonist (my favorite fictional character).

If you have any niche anime or games you like, and any characters in these that you particuarly like, I'd recommend borrowing from there. Something like Sigma Klim from Zero Escape would have been available for like an hour anyways, Sigma probably got taken by then... Honestly the best time to grab a name would have been the minute name reservations opened.

You could also translate your name into Sindarin or something, even if you can't play as an elf, their names are awesome (i got Leognir). 

Edited by Squall Leonhart

Posted

carrot cake, i guess...

2 people like this

Posted

I used my real name as my character name, since it works fine in this kind of fantasy setting.

My family name is a stylized version of Raven, one of my Nicknames.

Posted

I think about what country I would like to have my family traits come from and then I look up surnames from there.

I decided to have a French flair for Black Desert.  Looking through names I decided I liked Bonheur which means Good Luck.  That has a nice double meaning.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Family Name: Erazeratious

Char Name: Cooldowns

Erazeratious was the name of my second World of Warcraft character back in '06/'07, a dwarf Hunter.  Really fond memories of doing the Rhok and Lok'delar demon quests.

Cooldowns because I mained playing a Rogue after, and the sheer number of multi-minute cooldowns (Vanish, Blind, Evasion, Sprint etc) made me decide it was an appropriate name.  I'm playing a Sorceress now, not really sure how the cooldowns compares, but I like it!

Edited by Cooldowns

Posted

Along time ago in a land that was called Dark Age of Camelot, there arose an adventurer named Rimeskyshroud. He was not named as such for any other reason than his creator was a dummy and did not realize that you could not use a last name with a space and so he submitted a ticket requesting a name change from a GM. Weeks later, during a nasty battle involving his guild, a GM finally contacted Rime and offered to help him with his naming issue. Turns out Rime alone was already taken and offered up Rhime as an option.

The name was chosen and Rhime Skyshroud has been with me now for many an adventure in other lands!:D

Posted

Zes

Had the same handle for a couple years now.

Posted

Actually my name The_Nekomancer is from a joke with my friends. But first time using it in a Game, Usually use same name I've been using since elementary school :). Usually i use random name generators for char names, or name it after a anime character.

Posted

I used my heritage and a combination of media. I'm polish so i researched war general names. I also researched just wizard names and such online and then used my imagination to create something out of what I've seen.

Posted

"Eat Food"

Because I like food. Food is always going to be there for you. Food is love.

Posted (edited)

Mostly inspiration from my favorite books/shows and I like to find names with cool meanings too. For example my main is Family name: Dayseye, Character Name: Ezinma. Dayseye (a reference to the sun) is the original form of the word Daisy. Daisies connect imagery of flowers, the sun, and pearls, all symbols that are meaningful to me. Ezinma is an Igbo girl's name from the book Things Fall Apart which I recently re-read. It means "death, I defy you" which is beyond awesome. 

Edit: Thought I would add www.behindthename.com is a good site for looking up the origins and meanings of names or searching for names with a certain meaning

Edited by kpearl8

Posted

Family name is my online handle, and my hero name is something that i thought nice and suited the hero.

kind of a first in my head thing.

Posted (edited)

A man has no name.

Edited by Zjinn
2 people like this

Posted

Names I have been using in games for years, all with wierd stories.

Posted

My family name is Bonnie, which is my actual name.  I always name my character after me, I don't pretend to be someone else online, so if I know someone they can tell it is me even if I switch characters.  Example in Vindictus my characters were, BonnieD, BonnieY an BonnieX.  So I saved time an made it the family name.  the individual part I use a naming pattern from the class.  Vindictus had all the good BonnieXXXX names taken, that why I went letters there.  My Valk for the Beta was named Delfencia, cause they are def oriented.

Posted

Ki_Yo -> "Machine" 

Yua -> (Yu) "tie, bind" and (A) "love, affection"

For my  witch, she has the feelings of a machine (not an ai, basically apathetic) and she's binded to her love of getting drunk to be destructive.  

Posted

Its a name of the plant that grows in my area in abundance and even though its basically considered a weed it used to be a favorite of my Father who died 8 years ago.

1 person likes this

Posted

Anything that looks original  and beautiful. Easy if your language isn't English or something generic

Posted (edited)

I like anime so I usually name my characters after animes. 

My family name is Konoha and character name is NarutoUzumaki since Uzumaki was taken as a family name and Naruto was taken as a character name. Bad luck from reservation page lol.

Edited by luongrobert4

Posted

"Eat Food"

Because I like food. Food is always going to be there for you. Food is love.

See you, you I like~

At any rate my name choices are simple. I strive to NOT be another anime character, reference of said anime, show reference etc. My choice in names are random while remaining anything but simple. If I can bring humor, a wow (in a good way) or a laugh however small then my name has done it's job. Plus when i'm around you will know it without me having to say a peep~

Posted

Well for me it took sometime for me to pick a name I liked. At first I wanted something of mine from one of my works of writing, but I felt that the character I was going to use was best suited for the world I made her for and not for the world of BDO, Since the world she comes from relies on different principles for how things work. Then while watching Steven Universe * G_G don't judge* I decided I really wanted to make a character as close to Peridot as I could. So I used the character creation to make my character and then had to think of a name. I wanted something that paid homage to the character from the show. So I did some research on the character. I found out that the name of the creatures she is first seen with were called Robonoids and thought that it would be a decent Family name or last name for that character. I was going to go with Peridot as the first name but it was taken so I went with her nickname which was Peri. And that's how I got my character name. Peri Robonoid. Yeah its cheesy and what not, but its different from most of what you will see and it shows how much of a nerd I am for a show about gem based characters.

If anything, pick something you like, a character an item a show. And use it for the bases of your name. Most family names in real life were created by either a trade or by something the person was known for. Wilson is derived from Will son or son of will.

Posted

I got my fammily name from a forum I once happened upon and made it a charactor name in oldschool Runescape. My charactor name is a old veloved one I rp'd as for six years amd have used her surname on other charactors as I like it.