• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Parkour system needs work

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been keeping up with black desert for quite a while right now and even played in the korean server with english patch.

I remember first hearing about the parkour system and maybe i was expecting too much, but it didn't feel like how I'd had imagined. 

Perhaps I've grown too used to single player games, because the system is not a clean one although I am happy that it has been implemented at all. 

When the character runs to a fence I expect a single motion, as any free runner would, and hop over the fence instantly instead of stop and jump, then continue. 

The jumping animation could use a little work too. Climbing a rock, he takes one step forward with the next followed by his hands on his knees which feels unnatural, especially when climbing such small humps. 

I feel as it would add some interest if my character could hang off a ledge instead of climbing instantly onto a rooftop. And he should be able to strafe side to side. 

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that my screen vibrated everytime i jumped, which makes it feel like my character is super over weight, not to mention when he falls from a jump or from a high place, he falls too fast.

I know these are small features and the last important compaired to the masses, pve content and ballance, but i figured I'd bring up another discussion aside from the usual  topics. 

5 people like this

Posted

I like to climb stuff so I agree! :)

parkour-o.gif

Posted (edited)

I like to climb stuff so I agree! :)

parkour-o.gif

that rotation is asian level :P

and yes it should be much better (look at B&S movement system in comparison. yes yes different focus but there you feel freaking cool while moving. BDO you feel kinda slow and fat :P like an untrained batman after he eat too much ;) )

Edited by Tjaranis

Posted

one gripe i have with the game is how clunky the jump feels, and also how gravity seems to pull you down instantly after a bit of freefall

Posted

The issue is not just the animation but the ping. I really dont think you'll be able to feel that stutter when playing with US ping. It will still be there, but not as much as your connection to the asian/russian servers.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it may be hard to program an Assassin's Creed level parkour system into this mmo, but from what I've noticed I do agree that it could use some smoothing out, if only because jarring things like that take away from how insanely pretty the game is normally.

Posted (edited)

I think a few changes to some of the animations would do a lot of good. Like rather than climbing thin waist high fences, changing the visual to vaulting over it would be fantastic. It doesn't really have to be redone so that everyone looks like a matter acrobat, but making it more fluid would go a long way.

Edited by Teneaux
spelling.

Posted

you can tone down the camera shaking from the options, it was annoying for me too.

Posted

More variants of animations for climbing, jumping and skipping would be better.
For execution in my opinion it's fine if I want to play more organic parkour game I would play mirror edge.
System is responsive and functional it could be better especially in information department, how much my jump buff level one give me height etc. :)

Posted

While the current system is enough for me.

I'm all for a more refined system for more fun climbing and scaling of terrain/buildings. 

Posted (edited)

+ 1 to this but i think this thread should be over at the suggestions section

Edited by Lucid Dream

Posted

I have been keeping up with black desert for quite a while right now and even played in the korean server with english patch.

I remember first hearing about the parkour system and maybe i was expecting too much, but it didn't feel like how I'd had imagined. 

Perhaps I've grown too used to single player games, because the system is not a clean one although I am happy that it has been implemented at all. 

When the character runs to a fence I expect a single motion, as any free runner would, and hop over the fence instantly instead of stop and jump, then continue. 

The jumping animation could use a little work too. Climbing a rock, he takes one step forward with the next followed by his hands on his knees which feels unnatural, especially when climbing such small humps. 

I feel as it would add some interest if my character could hang off a ledge instead of climbing instantly onto a rooftop. And he should be able to strafe side to side. 

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that my screen vibrated everytime i jumped, which makes it feel like my character is super over weight, not to mention when he falls from a jump or from a high place, he falls too fast.

I know these are small features and the last important compaired to the masses, pve content and ballance, but i figured I'd bring up another discussion aside from the usual  topics. 

While I wouldn't mind a better free-run/parkour system, I'd definitely say it's on the backburner of important things they need to implement. haha

Posted

I'm not sure it is so back burner in a game with open world PVP.  I'm thinking about PVP on the rooftops.  PVP on mountains and rocky crags.  Parkour on battlements during GVG.  It should feel natural and fluid with combat.  That would take this MMO over the top.  As a PVPer, this is something I've been waiting years for.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

climbing obstacles is actually mechanistically important because the time you spend climbing a rock means death if someone/ones/mobs is/are attacking you from on top/below. Would be too easy to chase people onto rocky outcroppings if you could jump so I don't really know why you'd want fluidity of movement in climbing for pve. Shouldn't be able to easily climb in a rooftop fight; managing highly vulnerable (read: you will get bursted before you can finish half a climb) climbing frames is a matter of skill.

Also I doubt too many people can vault over a fence irl either. Thin or not you have to clamber over it, and BDO is going for the realistic feel

Edited by Walpurga

Posted

I'm not sure it is so back burner in a game with open world PVP.  I'm thinking about PVP on the rooftops.  PVP on mountains and rocky crags.  Parkour on battlements during GVG.  It should feel natural and fluid with combat.  That would take this MMO over the top.  As a PVPer, this is something I've been waiting years for.

I feel the stuff you want is more for singleplayer or smaller multiplayer games rather than an MMO, while I agree the jumping and climbing needs refining if you've tried PvP then you'll know that fighting on the edge of a cliff or rooftops. You'll just end up falling off and it will mess with what you're doing, becoming more of an inconvenience rather than something cewl. If this were a normal multiplayer game with like 20 or so people then yeh it would be cool, but with potentially hundreds of players all together? No way trying to implement that system would cause more problems than what it's worth sadly.

Would be awesome though. ;)

Posted

200.gif

2 people like this