• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

32bit 64bit - Difference?

31 posts in this topic

Posted

As the title says, I'm curious about the difference between the 32bit and 64bit launching options that show up after you press Start Up on that "downloader?" window.

Not sure if this is something that shows up in every version, but it does in the Korean Version.

Untitled.thumb.png.2481822c2840db01c61c6

Posted

The difference between 32bit and 64bit is that 32bit only supports up to 2GB RAM.
Considering Black Desert requires at least 4GB RAM, I wonder what the 32bit option is for too.

2 people like this

Posted

The difference between 32bit and 64bit is that 32bit only supports up to 2GB RAM.
Considering Black Desert requires at least 4GB RAM, I wonder what the 32bit option is for too.

Oh... Then it's an horrible option. Thank you for your answer.

Posted

Actually 32bit itself supports up to 4gb.

64bit executables may take advantage of the 64bit architecture as well. For example faster processing of data which may increase your fps or loading times.

Just make sure your operating system is 64bit. I believe pretty much every installation of windows 8 and 10 is

2 people like this

Posted

@YoniSL correct info :x

32 bit is good who have 32 bit OS and CPU with limited RAM.

64bit use more RAM and run smooth/Faster.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Wrong *again* 32bit supports 4GB memory which is really irrelevant in the case of a game.  I could go into the details of the differences but what is the point of showing you up yet again.

Edited by Paladine
1 person likes this

Posted

Fight fight fight

Posted

Wrong *again* 32bit supports 3.5GB memory which is really irrelevant in the case of a game.  I could go into the details of the differences but what is the point of showing you up yet again.

We all know why you posted here is because you want to promote your nerdy political ass and to prove me wrong.

I could have googled it since I was in between on 2 or 4, but I didn't, since it doesn't matter.
Your post is just as irrelevant as mine, because it does not help the OP and is off topic.

64bit executables may take advantage of the 64bit architecture as well. For example faster processing of data which may increase your fps or loading times.

Just make sure your operating system is 64bit. I believe pretty much every installation of windows 8 and 10 is

True, I got confused with some intel cpus that support only up to 2GB.

Fight fight fight

Lets not feed the troll.

Posted

@YoniSL correct info :x

32 bit is good who have 32 bit OS and CPU with limited RAM.

64bit use more RAM and run smooth/Faster.

Sorry its incorrect info. 64bit is only good for one thing, resources like virtual memory are not as restricted. In a game with serious memory leaks this would be a good thing.

While 32bit addresses can be used to address up to 4GB, the older 32bit Windows operating systems have a usable address space that is limited to 2 - 2.8 GB.

Actually despite the processor architecture, 64bit tends to be slower because the data and executable code uses twice the memory, and the memory and the buses that connect it to the CPU are the bottle neck in PCs. Still, if the 64bit version is made well, then a negative impact in performance should not be visible.

Posted

Sorry its incorrect info. 64bit is only good for one thing, resources like virtual memory are not as restricted. In a game with serious memory leaks this would be a good thing.

While 32bit addresses can be used to address up to 4GB, the older 32bit Windows operating systems have a usable address space that is limited to 2 - 2.8 GB.
Actually despite the processor architecture, 64bit tends to be slower because the data and executable code uses twice the memory, and the memory and the buses that connect it to the CPU are the bottle neck in PCs. Still, if the 64bit version is made well, then a negative impact in performance should not be visible.

You won 128 GB of virtual memory, Enjoy ur prize B|

1 person likes this

Posted

As the title says, I'm curious about the difference between the 32bit and 64bit launching options that show up after you press Start Up on that "downloader?" window.

Not sure if this is something that shows up in every version, but it does in the Korean Version.

Untitled.thumb.png.2481822c2840db01c61c6

Google it and you will found ur answer :D

1 person likes this

Posted

tumblr_inline_mg17fuLBlg1rs.gif

"Best comment 2015" - IGN_Rating.png

Posted

32bit takes up to 4GB of Ram (Random Access Memory).

The 4GB requirements suggested for the game, is just that the suggested and or recommend for smooth optimal game play. 

If your the type of person who has 10 apps running in the background while playing, Teamspeak3 Mumble, or even Facebook open, they chew Ram on top of your OS.

So just shut some stuff down to get some more pew pew power.

The forum moderator should know this stuff (Jab Jab jk :-))

Posted

I did google it specifically about BDO, but did not find it.

Anyways, since we've got a sassy-man over here. It's spelled "Google it and you will ("might" is the correct term, actually) find your answer." My native language isn't English either, mate. :D

1 person likes this

Posted

If your still on a comp running the older 32bit you really need to upgrade. lol Other than that nice explanation. 

But ill break it down for the none computer literate.

Think of ram as your computer desk, you have your monitor on it most likely. Keyboard, Mouse, your coffee or beer etc. Eventually if you put too much on your desk shit falls off. The more ram your computer has, the more room to pile shit on kinda. 

Hope it helps.

Posted

Wrong *again* 32bit supports 4GB memory which is really irrelevant in the case of a game.  I could go into the details of the differences but what is the point of showing you up yet again.

Oh man, this guy won't stop spreading random false informatiom, but hey, gotta increase the postcount!

To the OP: The benefits of a 64bit architectures (granted you run 64bit windows) are two: You have access to more than 4GB of memory and data is processed in much larger sizes (chunks), resulting in faster yet more accurate calcutions. 64bit applications work significantly faster than their 32bit counterpart.

Posted

They have probably only included the option as a debugging measure, much like games offer DX11 while still offering DX9/10 options. There would be no inherent benefit to running somehing in 32-bit mode, as there is no downside to 64-bit architecture.

Either way most computers these days run 64-bit operating systems. It is getting difficult to even find 32-bit systems altogether, as I face this difficulty in the company where I work. 

Posted (edited)

tumblr_inline_mg17fuLBlg1rs.gif

"Best comment 2015" - IGN_Rating.png

I realise its a lame topic to discuss here, It is very common on internet So before asking here he should try himself 1st :(

Edited by Jaad
1 person likes this

Posted

Actually 32Bit windows can address upto 3.5GB RAM

Posted

xD

This is the bad boy that confused me earlier (http://ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz)
This is the CPU that is used in Mini PCs. I've recently looked up some of them since I am looking forward to buying one, so I still had that 2GB limitation in mind.

Again you are confusing things Flip - the Atom is a 64Bit CPU and would be quite capable of handling >4GB RAM - the problem is the memory controller on the CPU is locked to 2GB - it is nothing to do with 32bit vs 64bit.

32bit CPUs can run upto 4GB of RAM the only reason 32bit Windows can only use 3.5GB is down to an overhead introduced by the way 32bit Windows XP, Vista & 7 handles PAE (physical address extension) - various other versions of Windows (Windows Server for example) and Linux/Unix using x86 hardware are quite capable of running at the full 4GB.

The reason 32bit OS is limited to 4GB of RAM is quite simply because 32bit address space can only go as far as 232 bytes (4GB).

The advantage of running 64bit games/software on 64bit hardware/OS is because the OS can access 2x the address space and more registers allowing the CPU to process much bigger chunks of memory meaning things simply run faster.  So it is not just about being able to have bigger numbers but being able to complete processes much faster than in a 32bit environment.

Posted (edited)

Actually 32Bit windows can address upto 3.5GB RAM

Support for this was only implemented in newer kernels of Windows 32bit operating systems. Since it requires the operating system to run on an actual x86-64 hardware. This however kind of defeats the purpose of using a 32bit operating system to begin with.

edited: furthermore an executable must be compiled as large address aware to use it.

Edited by Serenata

Posted (edited)

Since it requires the operating system to run on an actual x86-64 hardware

I am pretty sure you are incorrect there but would be happy to see a source supporting your claims?  AFAIK x86 PAE has -always- supported a full 4GB memory and this issue is purely down to poor implementation by Microsoft.

Also it is important to note that it is not just RAM it is the total amount of memory which is addressable and includes GPU.  So if you are running a 32bit version of Windows with 1GB graphics card you will only have 2.5GB of addressable RAM - if you have 2x 1GB GPU installed (although this probably won't count with SLI/Crossfire as they only use the GPU core not the memory on additional cards from what I recall) then you will only be able to address 1.5GB of actual RAM.  This is another reason why 64bit OS is useful because it allows you to have much bigger graphics cards without eating into the addressable RAM.

Edited by Paladine

Posted

To make it simple:

32bit: used for a operating system that is 32bit ( surprise!)

64bit: used for a operating system that is 64bit (wow, what a surprise! :o )

As for the reason they included 32bit, I would guess it's for backwards compatibility. Pretty much everything is running on x64/x86 nowadays. I would be very surprised if you had a 32bit system. unless you're running some kind of potato. :ph34r: