• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Immersive breaking cosmetic

Do you want immersive breaking cashshop items?   752 votes

1. 1. Do you want immersive breaking cashshop items?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

455 posts in this topic

Posted

Im fine with lots of stuff tbh it just should not turn out like this!

10295458_10154066587370032_7621991487145

5 people like this

Posted

It truely is. Atleast we will have the fun to hunt those kind of people once the game launch. 

"I'm going to hunt everybody in immersion-breaking cash shop items!!!!"

Please lol, have fun being killed by my Kunoichi in a bunny costume!~ 

1 person likes this

Posted

why not just let people play the game how they want? If they want to ride a dragon, let them ride a dragon. 

Posted (edited)

Your perspective is really off. You are vilifying costumes. I don't see the publishers agreeing with that mentality. Of course companies need to do more than keep lights on. And yes they pursue money, but it doesn't make it evil or wrong.

While you may find fault with the outfits, the developers did not. And a large part of the community has no issues with it. The costumes are made, might as well release them everywhere otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

Better yet, they would be leaving money on the table. Which businesses tend not to do. 

I guess some people are spinning the outfits into an ethical or moral stance yet they don't realize the developers don't share their views. The devs didn't become evil because they made costume X, they may have wanted it from day one and opted to sell it because it looked so neat. We shouldn't assume Satan made them do it.

Mate YOUR perspective is off, when are you going to get it into your head that western culture is DRASTICALLY different to eastern? this shit flies in Japan and Korea because their gaming culture is completely different. Did you know that the Chinese version of WoW had to be altered immensely to be licensed over there? All of the Undead character models bones had to be covered up because they wanted it to be more appealing to their gaming demographic.  

You're acting like you have this objective thought process when all you see is argument for your own agenda, I'm sorry but you are clearly the minority here, votes are getting higher and higher and the gap is growing even more.

"oh they made the outfits so they might as well add them" - yeah that will be a great idea when 65% of the playerbase quit because they don't like it.  

"And a large part of the community has no issues with it" - what number is bigger 100 or 200? - if you were a developer, would you rather piss off 35% of the community or 65% of the community?  

Let me say it again: The Western MMO gaming demographic is not the same as the Eastern MMO gaming demographic, the market is different, games are different.

Ever played Monster Hunter? HUGE in the east, fans like myself begged and begged for Monster Hunter: Frontier (MMO) to be released in the west, but they will not do it.  "But they have already made all the assets so they might as well, right? or they're just shooting themselves in the foot" - wrong, they have their reasons to not release it in the west, regardless of how much a huge fan like myself hates the decision.

You're not looking at the big picture because YOU want the costumes, I don't even know why I bother using logic and reason because you're going to respond with the same evasive shit every single time.

Edited by Kogoshi
1 person likes this

Posted

65% of the playerbase quit because they don't like it.

[citation needed]

Posted

I think the outfits are mostly okay but no dramatically immersion breaking Tera content.

1 person likes this

Posted

I perceive BDO as a unique game in its immersion, and while I appreciate silly costumes, I do not believe they belong in Black Desert. It's a game with a ridiculous amount of graphical and artistic detail all befitting of a single theme, and I would prefer that theme to not be violated. Beautiful costumes can be made without breaking immersion, and oftentimes they will look better than something stereotypically silly because of their uniqueness.

Please consider the artistry of this game, and your role in preserving it. No one painted over the Mona Lisa with modern fashion.

2 people like this

Posted

On the Weaboo subject, you're not considered a weaboo until you begin denouncing/downplaying entire cultures in favor of Japanese culture. With that in mind, being a weaboo is definitely a big problem. Fetishizing a culture is never a good idea for numerous reasons.

The problem here is that BDO isn't exactly medieval fantasy. Ninjas and Bladers don't belong in such a setting, as medieval fantasy implies a setting derived from medieval Europe. Game of Thrones is an excellent example of medieval fantasy. However, if you look at the books, it leans more towards post-classical than truly medieval because it encompasses much more than a land based off the European middle ages. It includes various (albiet in the background) lands far exceeding the limits of a strictly medieval fantasy setting.

Why did I go on a twig about Game of Thrones and the books, you say? That is because BDO leans more towards a post-classical setting than a medieval fantasy one. If BDO was truly medieval-fantasy, Ninjas/Kunoichi and Bladers do not belong in it due to their distinctly Japanese/Korean influences. The concluding point of this is that BDO is not a fantasy medieval setting, and that should not be used to justify why X does not belong in Z.

However,  I would like to remind that BDO, despite having some similarities to the real-world, is set in an entirely fictional world. Anything goes when it is fiction.

You are completely wrong. As a person who play the game from the beginning, I can tell you that for sure. The problem is ninjas and bladers have nothing with the lore and the aesthetic of the game. Like the stupid costumes they were added for the cash shop with the idea to sell items to the Asian players. Blader was made exclusively for Japan. And ninja classes were not even part of the initial concept of the game. So they added some Asian stuff. It did not work. Then Daum make one more step and added lingerie, stupid costumes, stupid accessories. I did not work. Then Daum added costumes from The Pirates of the Caribbean. It did not work. Then came maid costumes, tuxedos, more lingerie, sailor and jokey costumes. But the financial results did not improve. The game was making less revenue then in the first month after the release of the cash shop, but with much more items for sale. So they added new classes, all related with East Asia, with new costumes, and the revenue stopped to fade. All this stuff is not related with the game, with the lore, with the landmark, with anything in the game. This is a fact. There is nothing Asian in this game except these new classes. Also the landmark is not medieval, but early Renaissance with obvious fantasy elements, so XIV-XV century. Fiction is not a mishmash from everything, it has lore, landmark and aesthetic. Game of Thrones is a fiction, Star Wars is a fiction too, Howl's Moving Castle is also fiction, all these are great, because none of them makes a mishmash.

1 person likes this

Posted

Having made a character in KR version. Y'all are in for a fun surprise when it comes to how immersion breaking you can already be. I have stars for pupils and a swirl pattern on my irises, also witch can like, ONLY have insane hair colors lol.

1 person likes this

Posted

I also suppose there's multiple levels of immersive breaking content. Riding around in a car? Yes, that's pretty over the top. Running around in a business suit? Not so much. I believe regardless we are going to be getting costumes that are not strictly lore based but I don't believe they're going to go too far out. Balance. 

Personally I find the fish suit funny.. Who says no one dressed up as a killer fish back in the days? 

Posted

It is a Fantasy Game and what does it say for us? 

In Fantasy Games theres EVERYTHING possible...you can have and play as you like totally freedom of appearance and choices of Transportation etc etc....

if you dont like it, go search for a Medieval War Game instead of a Fantasy Game :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I also suppose there's multiple levels of immersive breaking content. Riding around in a car? Yes, that's pretty over the top. Running around in a business suit? Not so much. I believe regardless we are going to be getting costumes that are not strictly lore based but I don't believe they're going to go too far out. Balance. 

Personally I find the fish suit funny.. Who says no one dressed up as a killer fish back in the days? 

Personally I'm okay with fish suits or weird dopey animal/fish looking costumes as long as it still fits in theme because those kind of work everywhere, but sci-fi or modern fashion costumes don't really have a place here. Just my thoughts though. Wouldn't want some yakuza looking business man of a blader walking up to me in the forest wild unknown of velia just to gank me while i'm wearing rags, cloth vest and a trading backpack on me. I'd just be like yo get back to your timeframe plz.

Posted

Out of place costumes don't bother me I'm kinda used to it. Seems it's a common feature to most games. Some people like it, some people don't. That's life. Just got to respect that some players enjoy it and others hate it. Can't please both parties >.< I'm good as long as prices are not too high and that there is a balance between normal and crazy gear sets.

Posted

I've cleaned-up some of the posts to keep this thread on topic and removed the insulting posts, there is no need for either here.

4 people like this

Posted

"It will ruin the game for me, better ruin it for everyone else!"

Tumblr is that way.

Pfft, did you even process the thoughts In your brain when you typed that out? The game has a clear, distinct, aaimed-for setting and art direction. Adding a stupidly silly outside-of-lore hat would ruin immersion and detract from the overall artstyle. He HAS a point. I don't think its as big of a negative as he does, but still.

I mean, look at TF2. That once looked cohesive.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've cleaned-up some of the posts to keep this thread on topic and removed the insulting posts, there is no need for either here.

Thank you.

It's nice to see cleaning threads up instead of just locking them down. There is some good discussions going on here, just some of them were not beneficial or healthy. 

Posted

Out of place costumes don't bother me I'm kinda used to it. Seems it's a common feature to most games. Some people like it, some people don't. That's life. Just got to respect that some players enjoy it and others hate it. Can't please both parties >.< I'm good as long as prices are not too high and that there is a balance between normal and crazy gear sets.

Would be nice to at least cater for "our" party JUST ONCE, you know - is it really that much to ask?  

I'm not even asking for them to be completely banned/censored, I'm happy with some cheeky underwear and stuff that doesn't break immersion TOO much, I think finding a happy medium is the best way to go about it - unfortunately the people I've been arguing with seem adamant that we simply have to deal with them running around looking like this ->

Synergy_Guild_Screenshot_copy.thumb.jpg.

Posted

I gotta admit i was a bit sad to see Oli go but i'm loving this guy so far :)

ThumbUp.thumb.png.642007f7a3703c9ed5295f

Posted

dracula.gif

1 person likes this

Posted

You are completely wrong. As a person who play the game from the beginning, I can tell you that for sure. The problem is ninjas and bladers have nothing with the lore and the aesthetic of the game. Like the stupid costumes they were added for the cash shop with the idea to sell items to the Asian players. Blader was made exclusively for Japan. And ninja classes were not even part of the initial concept of the game. So they added some Asian stuff. It did not work. Then Daum make one more step and added lingerie, stupid costumes, stupid accessories. I did not work. Then Daum added costumes from The Pirates of the Caribbean. It did not work. Then came maid costumes, tuxedos, more lingerie, sailor and jokey costumes. But the financial results did not improve. The game was making less revenue then in the first month after the release of the cash shop, but with much more items for sale. So they added new classes, all related with East Asia, with new costumes, and the revenue stopped to fade. All this stuff is not related with the game, with the lore, with the landmark, with anything in the game. This is a fact. There is nothing Asian in this game except these new classes. Also the landmark is not medieval, but early Renaissance with obvious fantasy elements, so XIV-XV century. Fiction is not a mishmash from everything, it has lore, landmark and aesthetic. Game of Thrones is a fiction, Star Wars is a fiction too, Howl's Moving Castle is also fiction, all these are great, because none of them makes a mishmash.

How much of the total land has been developed? I'm looking at the currently released lands, and it doesn't seem much of the projected continent has been developed yet. With this in mind, we can assume Blader or Ninja can possibly be worked into the established lore through more development of the continent and nations. Right now, yes they do not work with the released lands and aesthetics atm. This does not mean they will always be so. Like you have said, there is nothing Asian-influenced ingame atm. However, this is not guaranteed to remain. Just look at Valencia. It is a completely different theme from say... Calpheon. While Calpheon has European influence in design, Valencia is very clearly Arab-influenced. Proceeding with this, we can likely expect some East Asian-influenced lands to give Bladers/Ninjas lore relevancy in the future.

Also, I never ever stated BDO was medieval in landmark and design influence. In fact, I argued the opposite- that it was set in the more general Post-classical period of time (which also includes early Renaissance). Post-classical includes not only the medieval and the Renaissance, which are inherently exclusive to Europe, but also the equivalent time periods around the world at the time. This is necessary because the medieval or Renaissance setting excludes the likes of Valencia and probably Mediah.

Finally, I said anything goes in fiction. This is true if everything is written well enough to mesh a variety of things seamlessly with each other. The likes of Star Wars and A Song of Ice and Fire (the books Game of Thrones is based off of) do this very well. Look at the diversity of cultures, clothing, and styles mixed together in Star Wars without seeming out of place. This is because it is well written. A Song of Ice and Fire also does this to a limited extent with the projected diversity of cultures and nations (due to the core focus on the royal struggle within Westeros, which only gives the rest of the world some passing mention). If it is poorly written, then of course there will be a nasty mishmash of nonsensical stuff.

I will pass on mentioning the silly costumes. I personally like comical stuff quite a bit, but frankly, a hide costume feature can just be included for people who don't want to see it.

Also, I was under the impression the Blader was created for Korea, not Japan. The Devs seemed pretty insistent that the Blader's style, moveset, and overall feel was Korean in nature. Hell, they even made sure to reference Korean martial arts manuals for his attacks. They were really vocal about him not being Japanese influenced.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Synergy_Guild_Screenshot_copy.thumb.jpg.dracula.gif

fuckloli07.thumb.gif.04a82e6586dd6b4678e

Edited by Kogoshi
2 people like this

Posted

As long as i don't  see players driving cars around BDO, i really don't care what they add.

a car is where i draw the line.........

...............................................................................<-- see there is the line.

lol

1 person likes this

Posted

Would be nice to at least cater for "our" party JUST ONCE, you know - is it really that much to ask?  

I'm not even asking for them to be completely banned/censored, I'm happy with some cheeky underwear and stuff that doesn't break immersion TOO much, I think finding a happy medium is the best way to go about it - unfortunately the people I've been arguing with seem adamant that we simply have to deal with them running around looking like this ->

This is a picture of people having fun playing a video game. Seems a lot of people hate that.

4 people like this

Posted

I voted "No" but it depends on what kind of costumes we're talking about here. I think the cook costumes and the pirate esqe costumes they added were great. I just don't like for example the Christmas tree costume or the fish costume as that is immersion breaking. Even the maid outfits aren't that immersion breaking. So in all honesty its a pretty fine line that we tread.

Also people have different opinions on what immersion breaking would be so it's a delicate thing we have to balance around. Most of the armour sets I've see in the shop seem to be pretty good. Minus the holiday and the fish one.