• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Running BDO on mac

39 posts in this topic

Posted

So I've been eyeballing the game for a while and have already pre-ordered but I've recently switched to a mac and I'm wondering what would be the best way to run the game.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

p.s I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and I've tried to google answers previously.

1 person likes this

Posted

Bootcamp?
Did you try that?

I can't guarantee it will work. Try to run a overseas version first before you pre-order.

Posted (edited)

I would bootcamp it too. emulation is not good for many (newer) games, so I wouldn't go that route.

Ru is the easiest one to test with. You can use WTFast to get past the ip block.

Edited by Luciferia

Posted

I believe that's the route I will be attempting shortly, as soon as I figure out how to sign up and download BDO RU.
I was hoping for more options but if not - it looks like the route I have to take is clear. Thanks for your input! (: 

Posted

I'm sorry I'm so sorry.

istruggle500.jpg?format=500w

(I just had to do it.) 

8 people like this

Posted

@Aerith - we could've been great friends but you just had to ruin our chances.
//This is actually really accurate though as I struggle enough using software for my university courses

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sorry I'm so sorry.

istruggle500.jpg?format=500w

(I just had to do it.) 

mac-mousepad.jpg

Well, they are great mouse pads tho

10 people like this

Posted

Bootcamp for sure my friend. I use to game on my Mac a lot before I finally built my gaming PC. Older games you can usually get away with when it comes to Wine or VirtualBox but the best experience will always be Bootcamp. Just remember if you're mobile to keep your laptop cool!! The MacBooks can get really hot with long play periods :D 

Posted

You're probably gonna have an easier time than I will. I just fried my PC the other day so I'm resorting to attempting to play it on a HP Envy Laptop. I think you have a better chance than I do of having things go well. :/

Posted (edited)

This game is pretty graphic intense. Unless your Mac have a dedicated graphic card, you wont be able to get much fps even if you can get it working with bootcam. 

Just check the price for Mac with a dGPU...so expensive...and good luck with the heat management on those models.

Edited by Chang

Posted

10300640_10154350819535201_7212531766233519_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Like everyone else have said the only option is bootcamp. I use my macbook to game a lot and i've played some pretty graphic games. My mac was able to run Tera/GuildWars/Wow/Diablo3/VIndictus all types of other games in the highest graphics at high fps. In the game options i usually have it set to a certain cap (60) and i was always at that cap, of course you can't compare any of these games to BDO but im playing the Korean version perfectly fine just get a cooling pad and you'll be good lol

Posted (edited)

I tried to play BDO on my mac, and this happened.maxresdefault.jpg

BDO on mac.... not even once

Edited by Kuliya
2 people like this

Posted

So In the end, is the general consensus that it will run on a imac while useing bootcamp? Well enough to play happily?

Posted

The best way to run games on mac:

Sell it and buy a PC.

4 people like this

Posted

The best way to run games on mac:

Sell it and buy a PC.

IF your not going to answer the question at hand in a helpful manner then please just refrain from including yourself.  Myself and others are looking for helpful answer not trolling ones.

Posted

IF your not going to answer the question at hand in a helpful manner then please just refrain from including yourself.  Myself and others are looking for helpful answer not trolling ones.

Bootcamp?
Did you try that?

I can't guarantee it will work. Try to run a overseas version first before you pre-order.

Maybe try reading the first result? Maybe general chat is going to happen in general chat. You single me out and there are how many other troll posts on this thread? If you are going to try and censor people I suggest going to china, they are big on censorship there.

Also maybe try being an informed consumer when you purchase your electronics; it's not exactly a secret that mac is not compatible with the majority of games on the market.

2 people like this

Posted

Maybe try reading the first result? Maybe general chat is going to happen in general chat. You single me out and there are how many other troll posts on this thread? If you are going to try and censor people I suggest going to china, they are big on censorship there.
Also maybe try being an informed consumer when you purchase your electronics; it's not exactly a secret that mac is not compatible with the majority of games on the market.

Thank you, I did read the forum thread and posed my question in the manner to see the end result of the person who started it along with a few others who went and tried the boot camp option and how well it ran in the end.

As far as consumer info, I am well aware of the road blocks with using mac's, I have used them for quite some time and some games run well and others do not. I continue to use the product because of my work that I do for the PR company i work for which btw did extensive research and decided that with the design programs we use the macs because it works best while we design the booths and such for the gaming companies we have as clients that they use for things such as E3. So I think I am good on why I use macs over a windows machine. Thank you for your suggestion though I am sure you are super helpful in the real world also. Have a great day!

Posted (edited)

Gaming is the least important thing computers do, and anyone that buys a computer JUST to play games is an idiot.

The Mac is the smart choice, and runs BDO under Windows via Boot Camp like a champ.

Edited by Lethality

Posted

I play on an iMac (2012 model) and the game runs smooth as a baby's bottom with Bootcamp/Windows 10.

Posted

Use bootcamp

Posted

Gaming is the least important thing computers do, and anyone that buys a computer JUST to play games is an idiot.

The Mac is the smart choice, and runs BDO under Windows via Boot Camp like a champ.

Idiot is a strong word, depends on people's preferences and what they want out of their purchases.

That being said, mac is not necessarily a smart choice because like everything else what you're trying to accomplish matters. I agree that for specific things Mac is a superior platform, especially for music engineering (but that's got more to do with software than anything else) but gaming is not the only reason someone would choose windows and people are quick to understate PC's ability to actually handle the same work and often the differences have a lot to do with what someone is used to.

My fiance does a ton of graphic design including 3d modeling and engineering on PC and while she can knock out pretty intensive projects on PC in no time she would struggle on mac because she doesn't have the ~15 odd years of experience using the programs available on Mac. And, some programs aside, Linux can do a much better job at many of the things Mac is lauded for (which is why Mac started "borrowing" from Linux in their OS builds).

Thank you, I did read the forum thread and posed my question in the manner to see the end result of the person who started it along with a few others who went and tried the boot camp option and how well it ran in the end.

As far as consumer info, I am well aware of the road blocks with using mac's, I have used them for quite some time and some games run well and others do not. I continue to use the product because of my work that I do for the PR company i work for which btw did extensive research and decided that with the design programs we use the macs because it works best while we design the booths and such for the gaming companies we have as clients that they use for things such as E3. So I think I am good on why I use macs over a windows machine. Thank you for your suggestion though I am sure you are super helpful in the real world also. Have a great day!

I didn't direct my comment at you, if I had I would have quoted you; maybe that's why you felt the need to single me out? I'm varying degrees of helpful depending on the scenario; just there are some topics that get brought up over and over and over again like mac's playing video games. And generally, Macs do once you install windows on them. If you are gaming or Media focused, Mac is a sub-par to terrible choice, it's just a reality. So apologies if my offhanded comment about how Macs aren't good for gaming ruffled your feathers but I was never talking to you or even read what you said until you quoted me.

Posted

To the peeps that answered the question...Thank you!!! See you in BDO!!!

Posted

So I've been eyeballing the game for a while and have already pre-ordered but I've recently switched to a mac and I'm wondering what would be the best way to run the game.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

p.s I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and I've tried to google answers previously.

literally why

Posted

Well I'm sure you know Macs are not ideal for gaming, but if you install Windows using bootcamp and have the appropriate drivers, you can get decent performance.

I used to game on a MacBook pro before I could afford to build my own desktop.  You will need to make sure you have good airflow, as Macs running Windows tend to get extremely hot.  You may want to manually increase your fan speeds with SMC or something similar.  Keep in mind this is not good for the longevity of your Mac.