• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Server Structure at Release

665 posts in this topic

Posted

all im saying is if they wanted a mega server give us ONE mega server no point having two. all this does is give the issues that we didnt want from a mega server with half the community. all this does is spread the player base thinner 

2 people like this

Posted

Can we just keep the server names from Beta? I made a lot of friends and it'd be hard to stick together if the names changed.

Posted

well thats pretty much the middleway, which doesnt even make one of both sides happy.

people that want megaservers -> dissapointed

people that want multiservers ->dissapointed

2 people like this

Posted

Like this is worse than if there was just 1 megaserver

Either make it a 4 server 4 channel system or 1 megaserver please.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wow no single mega server glad i didnt preorder

1 person likes this

Posted

Go ----- off

6 people like this

Posted

Don't worry. You have two megaservers to choose from now.

2 people like this

Posted

the point of multi server was to reduce the channels why did you ruin both suggestions smash them together and destroy the concept of both.

we need more servers with less channels  4 servers with 4 channels to allow diversity in the player base and so people do not channel hop to avoid pvp.

your server set up dident work in cbt2 with two mega servers it was super laggy and there was bad response time in combat. 

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

I hate to be a pessimist, but this seems like the worst possible setup, as it sucks for players on both sides of the server argument:

• Those that wanted megaservers still have to deal with getting their friends onto the correct server. There isn't the unifying sense of a single server. You can't say "our guild is the most powerful in North America", you can only say "our guild is the best on ___ server". If you tell a story about what happened with some guild on Black Desert, people will be like "what server did it happen on?" instead of being able to relate.

• Those that wanted small servers to create a sense of community don't get that, because 2 servers for 400,000+ players is not a small server, you won't run into the same people over and over.

• 9 channels is probably not enough for 200,000 players initially. We're gonna see huge queues. We'll easily end up with 2000+ players in the starting area per channel during the first few days. Finishing those initial Black Spirit quests is gonna SUCK.

• 9 Channels is pretty disgusting for PVP. So easy to hide from guild wars by just playing on an obscure channel. Exactly what people didn't want in megaservers. It's a lot harder to find the enemy when they could be in any of 9 channels.

• Grinding spots won't be competitive because if your spots taken, you can just go back to town, swap to a different channel, and check again until you find a spot.

The ideal setup would be 6 servers per region and initially 5 channels per server(with possibility to scale up to 10 if queues get bad), scaling down to 1-2 channels if a server starts to feel dead, such as 2-3 years down the line when all the FotM gamers switch to some other MMO.

This creates 30 channels at launch per region, compared to 18 currently. it can scale up to 60 total if things get bad. If the game gets old, instead of merging all they need to do is close down channels so that we only have 1-2 channels per server.

Edited by Skilliard
8 people like this

Posted

Don't worry guys!!1 There will be plenty of mobs to grind with all the channels. So you don't ever have to worry about running into bothersome humans in an MMORPG. We will all be able to grind mobs to our heart's content alone or with our small group. Because that is the apex of the game. Grinding mobs.

It's not like there is open world PvP game mechanics (like sieges and guild wars) that would break down with countless channels. There is only mob grinding in this game. Nothing more. That's why more channels are great. I can't wait to grind mobs in BDO alone.

3 people like this

Posted

The idiocy in the comment of this post are hilarious...

They are not megaservers... megaservers would have no limit on the channels... there is a limit of 9 channels. If you played during Beta it was crowded in all channels.

In addition, you can't switch channel except in freezone...so no channel hoping. 

A couple channels will become the main pvp channels for nodes/sieges/gvg... 

The best thing that could happen is one server unofficially be pvp.. where all the top guilds go.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the news. I assume the 9 channels each are  for the big wave of the 2 first weeks. I just hope there'll be less chans after that, even if my computer will die 'cause of abundance of people

Edited by Kitsunai

Posted

Don't listen to the trolls. I like the way the servers work. Let's at very least test it before judging it... 

10 people like this

Posted

Seems like a decent enough compromise, as long as the hardware is up to snuff I suppose.

Although 3x5 might've allowed for more load spread.  But one could always argue that.

I am hoping this system works well for all involved.

Jorm

Posted

With regards to the 'hardcore PvP' community - I think the keyword there that solves that issue is community. These like-minded people communicate and it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think they will arrange to roll on the same server (assuming both servers are PvP/standard).

I think they have listened to the community, but also taken into consideration their hardware, and presumably pre-order projections in terms of server load. Again it's not a stretch of the imagination to think that channels may be adjusted a couple of weeks to a couple of months into the game once the player base has begun to settle and they can see how the servers and channels are working with the population.

So currently it appears to be a considered compromise - but naturally I think these sort of things are flexible in the bigger scheme of things. It will be interesting to see how things progress once people are actually playing on these servers and channels.

4 people like this

Posted

Many people keep asking us about the server structure at release and by now we are comfortable enough, that our planned structure will go live as described below, to share it with you.

Initial setup will be similar to CBT2.

We will have two Servers for each region. (2xEU, 2xNA)

Each server will have 9 channels.

Server names are not finalized and will be announced soon.

Please make the games final real soon (seeing as Conq. get in soon), seeing as so many nationalities tend to "claim" a server as their own.
Some times its kinda nice to get away from all that, as it tends to fill up the chat (...and seeing as the "filter" you made for CBT2 didn't really work as intended, it would be nice to know all this more than 1 day in advance).

Posted

I hate to be a pessimist, but this seems like the worst possible setup, as it sucks for players on both sides of the server argument:

• Those that wanted megaservers still have to deal with getting their friends onto the correct server. There isn't the unifying sense of a single server. You can't say "our guild is the most powerful in North America", you can only say "our guild is the best on ___ server". If you tell a story about what happened with some guild on Black Desert, people will be like "what server did it happen on?" instead of being able to relate.

• Those that wanted small servers to create a sense of community don't get that, because 2 servers for 400,000+ players is not a small server, you won't run into the same people over and over.

• 9 channels is probably not enough for 200,000 players initially. We're gonna see huge queues. We'll easily end up with 2000+ players in the starting area per channel during the first few days. Finishing those initial Black Spirit quests is gonna SUCK.

• 9 Channels is pretty disgusting for PVP. So easy to hide from guild wars by just playing on an obscure channel. Exactly what people didn't want in megaservers.

You are a little bit mistaken. It's 2 server for 200 000 players. Because the number 400 000 was for both NA and EU region.

9 channels for 100 000 players is enough.

2 people like this

Posted

Seems like a decent enough compromise, as long as the hardware is up to snuff I suppose.

Although 3x5 might've allowed for more load spread.  But one could always argue that.

I am hoping this system works well for all involved.

Jorm

So you would like 15 channels instead 18?

Posted

Don't listen to the trolls. I like the way the servers work. Let's at very least test it before judging it... 

Most of the NA players already tested it on Korea. We aren't trolling, Daum just made a shitty decision and some people with experience are expressing their thoughts. The only trolls here are the ignorant and misinformed who keep saying this server structure is perfectly fine when those with experience are telling you it's not.

11 people like this

Posted

Atleast it's not a megaserver with 20+ channels

Posted

Most of the NA players already tested it on Korea. We aren't trolling, Daum just made a shitty decision and some people with experience are expressing their thoughts. The only trolls here are the ignorant and misinformed who keep saying this server structure is perfectly fine when those with experience are telling you it's not.

Ummm. I've played Korea and I agree it needs tweaking but end of the day this isn't Korea. These aren't mega servers but they are an alternative that's being tested. It's still subject to change much like Korea was changed months ago. 

Posted (edited)

You are a little bit mistaken. It's 2 server for 200 000 players. Because the number 400 000 was for both NA and EU region.

9 channels for 100 000 players is enough.

Oops, you're right, my bad. Still not enough though. If just 20% of the people that bought the game decide to play at their earliest time of access, we'll easily see 1,000+ players in the starting zone. Let's assume that the most popular pack has 50% of the total sales. 100,000*0.5=50,000 players on that server with that pack. Then assume  that just 20% of them log in at that launch time. 50,000*0.2=10,000. With 9 channels, that's over 1,000 players per channel, all stuck trying to kill the same stuff on day 1. Not really sustainable on day one. It'll be impossible to finish quests and people will crash.

Edited by Skilliard
1 person likes this

Posted

Ummm. I've played Korea and I agree it needs tweaking but end of the day this isn't Korea. These aren't mega servers but they are an alternative that's being tested. It's still subject to change much like Korea was changed months ago. 

uuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm Most of us have played Korea.Your logic and point are both FUBAR. This "test" is irrelevant and bad idea.

Posted

I'd prefer ONE server with 14 Channels. The competition has to stay up everytime everywhere.

But, now i see the point of high karma penalties, you dont even need it since there is no farm spot that need's to be protected, no need to go red.

What a great day for carebears.

Posted

So you would like 15 channels instead 18?

I find the actual number of channels to be liquid, i.e. they can be increased/decreased with little fanfare.

Actual number of servers is a more difficult nut to crack in my opinion.

But I suppose I could be wrong on this. =)

Jorm