• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

How many skill points at 50?

158 posts in this topic

Posted

No worries, sorry I don't have the source its just not something I kept or had need to keep. Essentially it was an exp curve as you'd expect where eventually you hit this plateau of the same value which was the soft cap. Its not something too difficult to test like you said at 50 just kind of time yourself grinding some mobs for 1 full level, then complete some of your stored up black spirit quests that give skill points (1 or 2) then do it again, you'll notice almost no increase in difficulty to attain, likely a few mobs difference to a minute or so grinding at most. 

These days its hard to trust what you hear about games mechanics, usually when I hear some debate on how something works in the end I have to test myself unless someone I have confidence/trust in tests it (usually players I've been with for a long time). Its just the only way to really be sure.

I will test by having two characters doing the exact same thing. The only difference will be one of them will do a skill point quest, the other one wont. If they still need to kill the same amount of mobs until the next skill point, then you were correct all along :-)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No worries, sorry I don't have the source its just not something I kept or had need to keep. Essentially it was an exp curve as you'd expect where eventually you hit this plateau of the same value which was the soft cap.

I posted all of this some posts above, source and all ; n ;

Edited by HTTPSforumsishard
1 person likes this

Posted

I posted all of this some posts above, source and all ; n ;

Give this guy a medal <3

Posted

@Aly, Huntler

So basically what I'm understanding from this thread is that it really doesn't matter how one does it, is this correct?  At soft cap it isn't harder to gain skill point exp, just more exp is needed per lvl.  So 1000exp now is the same as 1000exp later, it is all going toward the same total in the long run.  The only thing that would affect this would be if the time it took to grind exp from mobs goes up.  Like if it took a hour to grind 100k exp at low lvls, but 2 hours to grind 100k skill exp on lvl 50 mobs.  I'm assuming the rate at which experience is gained is the same at late lvls, based on what you are saying.  And flat skill point rewards don't matter when acquired, because they don't affect the exp lvl.  So the only thing that matters is how soon you can do all the dailies that reward extra skill exp. 

Posted (edited)

scaling.jpg

There it is, proof that skill exp quests give scaling exp, and not the static rewards that contribution and standard exp are set as.

Edited by LordOnichan

Posted

scaling.jpg

There it is, proof that skill exp quests give scaling exp, and not the static rewards that contribution and standard exp are set as.

Any guide available focusing on skill quests post game?

Posted

Not that I know of. I plan on charting out a guide when BDO launches. Hakurai on youtube has a good guide for all the inventory slot quests, but it looks like the leveling paradigm on NA might be different than KR...

Posted (edited)

Just want to point out a little example to make it clear in numbers.

player a does all the quests while leveling.

player a hits the softcap of 500 skillpoints at 30 hours game time

player b doesnt do any quests while leveling.

playber b hits the softcap of 500 skillpoints at 35 hours game time.

Lets say there are 20 Quests that grants FULL skillpoints, not skillpoint exp ( just an arbitary number)

player a has already done them so he will be "stuck" at 500 skillpoints.

player b does the above mentioned skills after reaching the 500 skillpoints softcap.

player b will have 520 skillpoints after backtracking the 20 quests.

please feel free to correct me but thats how i see it.

Edited by mouril

Posted

Just want to point out a little example to make it clear in numbers.

player a does all the quests while leveling.

player a hits the softcap of 500 skillpoints at 30 hours game time

player b doesnt do any quests while leveling.

playber b hits the softcap of 500 skillpoints at 35 hours game time.

Lets say there are 20 Quests that grants FULL skillpoints, not skillpoint exp ( just an arbitary number)

player a has already done them so he will be "stuck" at 500 skillpoints.

player b does the above mentioned skills after reaching the 500 skillpoints softcap.

player b will have 520 skillpoints after backtracking the 20 quests.

please feel free to correct me but thats how i see it.

According to my understanding of Aly's explaination, the player who did quests and didn't grind to soft cap, will have less skill point XP than the player who grinded to soft cap without doing quests and has more skill point XP. The player who grinded out the skill points through mobs goes back and does quests to earn another 40 points. The player who did the quest can now grind mobs for 40 points. So, it's the same outcome. This is because the free skill points awarded from quests don't contribute to your skill XP soft cap. Right/wrong?

Posted (edited)

http://bddatabase.net/us/quests/

On filter put skillpoint. Dont do those until at 500 softcap. Done.

Regular exp quests that dont give a full point are fine to do at whatever level.

Edited by Oceanos
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

so what I gotta memorize all these names? slow down my grind to check the database for no-nos?

-----s sake I read this entire thread and I still don't have any answers, just a bunch of theories to draw my own conclusion from.

So,

Don't ever kill any mobs that aren't required for a quest(?)

Quests that give skill points DON'T CONTRIBUTE to the soft cap(?)

Don't ever do any quests before hitting 50(?)

If it DOESN'T matter when SP quests are done, then /thread

If it DOES matter when SP quests are done, then our first character will probably be a throwaway

If there ARE scaling SP rewards for quests, then killing mobs in between quests is a no-no

Somebody answer the question here and now, do I

A) Grind to 50 without doing any quests, then come back and do the quests

B) Do quests in a particular order (when I'm the recommended level) so I get the max amount of SP from them

C) Do it in whatever order I want and end up with the exact same power level as Minmax Jackson over there

Edited by cheddar

Posted (edited)

so what I gotta memorize all these names? slow down my grind to check the database for no-nos?

-----s sake I read this entire thread and I still don't have any answers, just a bunch of theories to draw my own conclusion from.

So,

If it DOES matter when SP quests are done, then our first character will probably be a throwaway

If there ARE scaling SP rewards for quests, then killing mobs in between quests is a no-no

B) Do quests in a particular order (when I'm the recommended level) so I get the max amount of SP from them

C) Do it in whatever order I want and end up with the exact same power level as Minmax Jackson over there

You can just play the game normally, and if a quests prize is a full skillpoint (not skill exp) then cancel it from your quests list. Do it after 500 soft cap. I feel like your over-complicating this.

Edited by Oceanos

Posted

You can just play the game normally, and if a quests prize is a full skillpoint (not skill exp) then cancel it from your quests list. Do it after 500 soft cap. I feel like your over-complicating this.

And the quest giver will be on my map right? No bells & whistles?

I've only played the betas mate these asian MMOs always have complicated shit going on under the hood

Posted

how many skill points you have at lv 50 is directly proportionate to how long you grind at catfish before you realize you can't go higher than 49.999 without doing a quest first :P

Posted (edited)

And the quest giver will be on my map right? No bells & whistles?

I've only played the betas mate these asian MMOs always have complicated shit going on under the hood

Well some quests require amity to unlock. The point is whether you do the skill exp quests while leveling or after the skillpoint softcap, it doesnt matter. The Only quests that you should avoid to maximize the points you get are the ones that award a full skillpoint rather than just skillexp. Because those can bypass the softcap limitation. If you end up picking up a quest that awards that (you can check the awards for every quest you have in your quest menu), then just cancel that quest and get it again later after reaching the skill softcap. This can include the main quest bossquests from the black spirit if your willing to hardcore it enough, but most people dont bother and just do those anyway (otherwise your stuck at character lvl 49 until you finish the main questline).

Edited by Oceanos
1 person likes this

Posted

To be honest as pointed out from @Sizer if you want combat skill points them from about lvl 14 focus on killing mobs, there are a few Combat skill based quests, but you will make more Combat skill points xp from grinding

The system in some respects is similar to TSW AP/SP.

You will notice in BDO at the top left you have several XP bars, the big one is you "level" then you have a small one the next down, each time the small numbers turn over 100 you gain a Combat Skill point. The bottom bar is your Contribution points XP bar which also give you a contribution point each time it clocks over 100.

Doing various tasks gives you different levels of XP (or even zero) for certain XP bars. As best indicated by  @LordOnichan post.

Posted

So,

I'd suggest playing it whichever way makes you enjoy playing the most. he arguments between myself and the hardcores on this thread have been about reaching skill point maximums a newer player, or player who hasn't taken the time to learn all the quest chains already would be able to do anyways. A great many of the skill exp quests require amity with certain NPC's or quest chains being completed, or sometimes quest chains leading into other quest chains. Many involve gathering and crafting large sums of stuff in the game world. If what you want is the combat, just go back after you hit 50 and pick up the quests as you spot them. I put up a list of the skillpoint (not skill exp) quests as a guide on the forums, so anyone who rushes the softcap can look and find the quests they need.

so:

A)If you like to grind, go for it

B)If you know where all the quests are and plan on making this your main character. I warn you thaT THIS WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO REACH 50 COMPARED TO YOUR FRIENDS. But the result will be a character that is more powerful than other characters of the same level or even possibly up to 5 levels higher.

C)There are no wrong ways, no best ways. But will you have as many skillpoints as the min/maxer by just doing it any which way? No.

To be honest as pointed out from @Sizer if you want combat skill points them from about lvl 14 focus on killing mobs, there are a few Combat skill based quests, but you will make more Combat skill points xp from grinding

The system in some respects is similar to TSW AP/SP.

You will notice in BDO at the top left you have several XP bars, the big one is you "level" then you have a small one the next down, each time the small numbers turn over 100 you gain a Combat Skill point. The bottom bar is your Contribution points XP bar which also give you a contribution point each time it clocks over 100.

Doing various tasks gives you different levels of XP (or even zero) for certain XP bars. As best indicated by  @LordOnichan post.

There's actually a list of several hundred, (almost a thousand) quests between level 10-20 that I have compiled a list of already that grant skill exp.

Posted

how many skill points you have at lv 50 is directly proportionate to how long you grind at catfish before you realize you can't go higher than 49.999 without doing a quest first :P

Well some quests require amity to unlock. The point is whether you do the skill exp quests while leveling or after the exp softcap, it doesnt matter. The Only quests that you should avoid to maximize the points you get are the ones that award a full skillpoint rather than just skillexp. Because those can bypass the softcap limitation. If you end up picking up a quest that awards that (you can check the awards for every quest you have in your quest menu), then just cancel that quest and get it again later after reaching the skill softcap. This can include the main quest bossquests from the black spirit if your willing to hardcore it enough, but most people dont bother and just do those anyway (otherwise your stuck at character lvl 49 until you finish the main questline).

So we basically are stuck at level 49 until either skillpoint softcap or until we do the black spirit quest? Do people stay at 49 until they reach 500 skill points? Or can we just do that single black spirit quest for level 50 without doing the prior quests?

Posted

scaling.jpg

You fail to read. I only ever said quests that give skill points don't contribute to reaching the skill exp softcap. If you took the time to read my posts you'd know I fully detailed how it works, including quests that give skill exp (not skill points, stop using those two words interchangeably as they are not the same).

Posted

So we basically are stuck at level 49 until either skillpoint softcap or until we do the black spirit quest? Do people stay at 49 until they reach 500 skill points? Or can we just do that single black spirit quest for level 50 without doing the prior quests?

You have to do the prior unlocking quests to get the lvl 49 one. Personally I will try to skip most of the main storyline quests (maybe get it up to lvl 16 for the lvl 16 skillbook), and see if I can reach the skillpoint softcap while being lvl 49. Afterward ill just backtrack and do the full main storyline.

Posted

level has nothing to do with skill points i mean some people will die more than others therefore have more skill points because they'll have to kill more monsters to catch up in levels therefore also getting more skill exp on their way to lv 50. Or like I said you can't actually hit lv 50 until you do a quest to kill this solo boss to get to 50 so you could just stay at 49.999 and just farm skill points if you really wanted to IDK why but hey whatever floats your boat.

Posted (edited)

According to my understanding of Aly's explaination, the player who did quests and didn't grind to soft cap, will have less skill point XP than the player who grinded to soft cap without doing quests and has more skill point XP. The player who grinded out the skill points through mobs goes back and does quests to earn another 40 points. The player who did the quest can now grind mobs for 40 points. So, it's the same outcome. This is because the free skill points awarded from quests don't contribute to your skill XP soft cap. Right/wrong?

Right. I'm starting to realize people are dumb and don't realize that quests can reward skill points or skill exp and that they are not the same (people are using those words interchangeably).

Edited by Huntler
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Reading comprehension isn't what it used to be, BUT TLDR for those who can't read. Hit 500 skill points first then do the skill point quests so you don't have to grind as much for those 40 points after 500. Also being that it will probably be a few months till mediah you should have plenty of skill points provided you continue to grind for money and don't completely screw your builds with crappy skill selections.

Edited by Darkleaf84
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Not all Black spirit quests are linear.

To reach lvl 50 you need to do Awakening quests:
http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/122/1/
http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/122/2/
http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/122/3/
http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/122/4/

You don't need to do Co-op quests like:
http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/105/6/

Those Co-op quests for example are in chain and give 3 SP and +1 inventory slot but are not necessary for going over 49, 99%

Edited by bzgzd
1 person likes this