• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

No damage text. Why?

120 posts in this topic

Posted

There's absolutely zero good reasons why they can't add an option to show damage numbers for that player only once they get the knowledge for whatever mob they're fighting.

Posted

Maple story made me hate damage numbers

MapleStory-BasilMarket-Screen-193202.jpg

look at this shit its half the screen.

This isn't exactly a good example. I don't really care either way, honestly they should probably just put an option to enable/disable them in the settings. Either way the numbers wouldn't look anything like that.

Posted

I don't like seeing numbers fly off a npc or player when I am attacking them, it kind of breaks the immersion of the game and takes away from the beauty of the scenery. I like how the U.I also isn't that oppressive & cluttery like it is in other MMOs.

Posted

If you're spending time worrying about the numbers that are popping up in a game with action combat like this you're going to die. 

Que? Someone doesn't know how damage text is being used by players me feels.

Damage text is primarily used in testing to identify what skill does what damage,  what skill heals for how much etc. In combat people only occasionally glance at it to make sure everything is normal. Their dots are ticking their hots are ticking etc. You don't read it all the time.

Damage text shown on client also means damage counters and damage logs. Damage counters give avg damage during the fight, total/avg damage each skill did and so on. Damage logs list every bit of damage dealt and received. Combined they allow you to do post-combat analysis and see what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong and working out strategies to improve yourself.

Other games with action based combat have optional combat text and it works great for them, don't see why BDO would be any different.

Posted

I could make a list of excuses like:

"People will then want damage numbers or dps third party stuff. followed by elitists telling me I can't PvE world bosses or do PvP because my damage is too low! Muh feels"

While I kind of like not having numbers thrown all over the place, for once, I wouldn't mind if it was a TOGGLE option for those that do want it.

Posted

Can you see in real life damage number? No? then so be it.

Can you shoot lightning from your fingertips? Constantly shoot a stream of arrows from a bow without ever running out? Are you an elf? When two dogs procreate, do they magically disappear and become a single, new dog? 

No? 

Then so be it.

Posted (edited)

Fanboy: But floating text breaks muh realism. Your idea is shit.

Later that day...

dFLcDwH.png

Edited by Rivea
2 people like this

Posted

So since the game doesn't have any damage meters, does anyone have any ideas for how to determine how much damage attacks do?

Posted

Just make it an option which is off by default and everyone is happy, you don't need to argue and call each other stupid noobs over absolutely nothing. God this forum is just filled with small children.

Posted

Maple story made me hate damage numbers

MapleStory-BasilMarket-Screen-193202.jpg

look at this shit its half the screen.

People actually play that? thought platform games died in the 90's?

Posted

So since the game doesn't have any damage meters, does anyone have any ideas for how to determine how much damage attacks do?

Well sure, Personally, I look at the tooltip where it says "Damage X 651%" and assume it does more than a skill that says "Damage x 88%".

I don't need to know exactly how much damage a specific skill does down to a decimal point. All i need to know is how powerful it is in relation to the other skills i have. The percentages listed on each attacks tooltip gives me exactly that. 

Posted

Que? Someone doesn't know how damage text is being used by players me feels.

Damage text is primarily used in testing to identify what skill does what damage,  what skill heals for how much etc. In combat people only occasionally glance at it to make sure everything is normal. Their dots are ticking their hots are ticking etc. You don't read it all the time.

Damage text shown on client also means damage counters and damage logs. Damage counters give avg damage during the fight, total/avg damage each skill did and so on. Damage logs list every bit of damage dealt and received. Combined they allow you to do post-combat analysis and see what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong and working out strategies to improve yourself.

Other games with action based combat have optional combat text and it works great for them, don't see why BDO would be any different.

Okay. Solve that with simple math in the arena with somebody.  Doesn't seem like a good enough reason to fill a screen full of dogshit. 

Posted (edited)

Okay. Solve that with simple math in the arena with somebody.  Doesn't seem like a good enough reason to fill a screen full of dogshit. 

I'm sorry, no offense, but you seem to have no clue what you are talking about...

First off the screen is already full of dogshit, as Rivea pointed out, so what exactly is your argument here...

dFLcDwH.png

Secondy, this is what posting damage information down to the client enables you to do.

This is a post-fight damage report form another MMO called ESO....

OEkzkGg.jpg

It shows the duration (49" secs) of combat which skills i used, how many times each, avg/min/max/dps/crit% per skill as well as total damage and dps for the fight. This information comes up with just the press of a button after combat. That simple

Additionally, you can have Combat Log windows (which can be hidden by default) and upon revealing them they show you all the damage/heals you did or received in chronological order. They are also scrolling text, so you can keep them active in the corner of your window as a form of combat text without cluttering the center of your screen...

vki6w.jpg

pvw432.jpg

Do you have any idea how much time it would take me to compile that information by writing shit down on a spreadsheet? Or how invaluable this information is to practice rotations that yield higher damage or to work out which skills/rotations kill me more often in combat so I can improve?

Having damage information in some form is undoubtedly invaluable. What you describe is not an alternative at all.

Edited by Maulkin

Posted

I want. If you think people won't consider your damage because there's no damage numbers you're wrong since you can link your weapon on the chat by pressing Shift+LMB on the item, people gonna ask you to do it anyway and it should be available in options to turn it off/on, in betas in KR we could see XP numbers on the screen, prolly dmg formula would be the same.

No damage numbers!!!!!

Posted

I'm sorry, no offense, but you seem to have no clue what you are talking about...

First off the screen is already full of dogshit, as Rivea pointed out, so what exactly is your argument here...

Hidden Content

Secondy, this is what posting damage information down to the client enables you to do.

This is a post-fight damage report form another MMO called ESO....

Hidden Content

It shows the duration (49" secs) of combat which skills i used, how many times each, avg/min/max/dps/crit% per skill as well as total damage and dps for the fight. This information comes up with just the press of a button after combat. That simple

Also you can have Combat Log windows which can be hidden by default and upon revealing them they show you all the damage/heals you did or received in chronological order. They are also scrolling text so you can keep them active in the corner of your window wihout cluttering the center of your screen...

Hidden Content

Do you have any idea how much time it would take me to compile that information by writing shit down on a spreadsheet?  Or how invaluable this information is to practice rotations that yield higher damage or to work out which skills/rotations kill me more often in combat so I can improve?

Having damage information in some form is undoubtedly invaluable. What you describe is not an alternative at all.

Well first, you pretty much just agreed with me so everything below that point is invalid. 

Second, ESO sucked ----- because it had a shit community and the only way people were even able to see damage numbers was with addons.

Lastly, you're only going to learn by actually fighting people in this game.  Unless you are talking about the PVE that doesn't exist. 

Posted (edited)

Well first, you pretty much just agreed with me so everything below that point is invalid. 

Second, ESO sucked ----- because it had a shit community and the only way people were even able to see damage numbers was with addons.

Lastly, you're only going to learn by actually fighting people in this game.  Unless you are talking about the PVE that doesn't exist. 

Well firstly, i didn't agree with you. If you didn't get that from the content or the tone of the post, you must have comprehension problems.

Secondly, the community in ESO is (as in every other MMORPG before or after) just the average representation of the young adult western gamer. The same people that played ESO played many other MMOs before and will be playing this one too. People who compare communities between MMOs are at the very least delusional.

Lastly, thanks for that. I intended to learn all that information by not fighting people and was planning to use it when I'm fishing. Genius

Edited by Maulkin
1 person likes this

Posted

Well firstly, i didn't agree with you. If you didn't get that from the content or the tone of the post, you must have comprehension problems.

Secondly, the community in ESO is (as in every other MMORPG before or after) just the average representation of the young adult western gamer. The same people that played ESO played many other MMOs before and will be playing this one too. People who compare communities between MMOs are at the very least delusional.

Lastly, thanks for that. I intended to learn all that information by not fighting people and was planning to use it when I'm fishing. Genius

1. ESO community was shit cause you had 2 factions that got ran over by EP. Also half of the playerbase were either incompetent or Rpers.

2. Damage numbers will not help you if you call the combos in this game rotations if you think they work the same your delusional.

Posted

I want to see my combat, a health bar is enough.

Please stop comparing this game to other MMO's.

Posted

1. ESO community was shit cause you had 2 factions that got ran over by EP. Also half of the playerbase were either incompetent or Rpers.

2. Damage numbers will not help you if you call the combos in this game rotations if you think they work the same your delusional.

Lol is all I can say at this point...

Posted

Lol is all I can say at this point...

Please do tell have you even played the game outside of a cbt? Because if you cant even tell when you damage a mob or a player you really need help.

Posted

When a developer spends so much time making the whole map look pretty would you want to spoil it with a bunch of numbers ruining the view. Damage info in a chat window would be a better option imho.

Posted

When a developer spends so much time making the whole map look pretty would you want to spoil it with a bunch of numbers ruining the view. Damage info in a chat window would be a better option imho.

I can understand why people would want some sort of damage numbers, like:

"OMFG CRIT, M8 I GOT A CRIT"

But the game In my opinion has more to offer.

Posted

Please do tell have you even played the game outside of a cbt? Because if you cant even tell when you damage a mob or a player you really need help.

Dude there is nothing I have left to say to you. You are comparing full statistical analysis of damage logs to knowing when/if you did damage to the mobs... and then having the gall to call others "incompetent or RPers".

Have a nice day xD

Posted (edited)

Once again... We have spammy floating text in the game already. This is what the game looks like already... why are you people trying to argue this ridiculous point.

dFLcDwH.png

Immune responses should be a sound cue (akin to Blade & Soul) and we should be allowed to, optionally, enable floating damage display. This is simply better design. RPers can actually keep their combat clean and number junkies can check their damage output more accurately. Even forgetting about floating damage, a combat log would make many people happy and you guys can continue to swoon over the clean and number-free IMMUNE spam you seem to love so much.

What is the problem here?

Edited by Rivea
2 people like this

Posted

I can understand why people would want some sort of damage numbers, like:
"OMFG CRIT, M8 I GOT A CRIT"

But the game In my opinion has more to offer.

Unfortunate example as the game already puts the word CRIT in huge letters on your screen when you land a crit. The loud, obnoxious part of scrolling text is already here. What's missing is the informative part, like how much damage did you crit for.