• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Gender Locked Classes? Seriously?

314 posts in this topic

Posted

To have all of the classes be gender locked except the wizard/witch really annoys me. The Ranger, Sorcerer and Valkyrie look awesome, but I don't want to be forced to make a female character just to play as those classes. It seems like a serious, unnecessary restriction on an otherwise awesome character customization system. I haven't seen many complaints about this, but it really bothers me. Does anyone else feel the same way?

24 people like this

Posted

Warrior is the male Valkyrie, but unlike Witch, who was a blant copy of Wizard, their skills actually differ quite a lot, especially with the holy theme of Valkyrie.

Archer is the male Ranger, while he was shown for the first time in the second trailer of BDO, he wasn't mentioned another time so far. The next region being unlocked is supposed to be the region for Elves, which would be a good time for him to appear again. But there is also the chance that PA might never release the Archer class.

Sorceress had so far no mentionings of a male counterpart. While Wizard could be seen at the beginning as the counterpart, that is obviously not the case anymore with Witch available as well.
There is a village full of NPCs, including male ones, that wear the default outfit of the Sorceress class which let other people think this is a reason for them to exist. Unfortunately every kind of race (halflings[?], male humans, male giants) wears the outfit in the village, which could speak against it. There are also children learning the typical magic for the class, but male students are all missing, except for one, but he is stomping his foot in anger. Probably because males can't use that type of magic.
While that looks bad for male 'Sorcerer', there are some NPCs in Valencia which actually have the default attack stance of Sorceress' for a brief moment, also fighting with their fists, but without magic (though they actually teleport around a bit). Of course with all kind of NPCs this might mean nothing.

Last class release is almost 3 months ago, currently they seem to focus on the awakening weapons, one release per month. This would at least continue until January, in case Tamer gets said weapon as well, even until February. Maybe even all classes get them, which would take even more time for new classes to be released, unless they would do that simultaneously with class releases. Could take some time for new classes to get released, but who really knows.

While I don't care one bit about gender lock, there were a couple of threads about this already. Usually comes to the point where people are saying that making new classes are a quite large timesink and that PA should focus on other things instead.

6 people like this

Posted

Hi,

A question.... Why make a game in 2015 with gender locked classes? It does not make sense to me.

I was going to play the Ranger but because is only female I am forced to change class (I don't like playing female characters!, I will probably play warrior), why limit the game?

The game has an amazing character personalisation system but limits the user on the class selection.

There are very few players that do not care about this limits which is fine but talking with my friends and guild mates they found this very inconvenient.

I strongly believe removing this restriction will make everybody happy.

Thank you,

3 people like this

Posted

Genderlocking, from my experience, is mostly to depict heroes of a certain order/lineage for a more strengthened story effect regarding the particular locked class/hero. Removing that turns the immersion of your character into a generic everyone else kind of thing eliminating any presence of any story since you're a dime a dozen. That is all.

12 people like this

Posted

Am I the only here that likes the gender and age lock? :P 

15 people like this

Posted

Because they designed the lore like this...

3 people like this

Posted

No you're not. I honestly think that its amusing how upset some people can be about something as arbitrary as sex. Shouldnt come as a surprise though, considering the degenerate fluid-gender movements modern society invented. I wonder how long it will take until the first people ask for gender neutral classes to cater to their sexualized role playing fantasies.

8 people like this

Posted

Oh yes this topic has been debated on several times and personally I think it sucks for a game this day in age to resort to it.

1 person likes this

Posted

No you're not. I honestly think that its amusing how upset some people can be about something as arbitrary as sex. Shouldnt come as a surprise though, considering the degenerate fluid-gender movements modern society invented. I wonder how long it will take until the first people ask for gender neutral classes to cater to their sexualized role playing fantasies.

Amazing that you somehow shoe-horned some bigotry into this thread, where it had no place until you decided you had to strike against those durn sexual deviants running amok and hailing satan or whatever. Keep your ignorance on Stormfront or Freep, where it belongs.

8 people like this

Posted

Dg1mUih.png

2 people like this

Posted

I cant believe this is still a question. Yes the game is gender locked. Yes to some it seems dumb. But in the end their not gonna change it. I like the idea of gender lock because the warrior and valkryie are diff the plum and blader are different and it all makes sense. It makes the game more diverse and I am sad their is not male tamer and I wish thier was but if I want a male class is still have war ninja blader zerker and wizard to choose from. I hope they continue to make counterparts and make them similar but still a little diff then their spread made counterparts

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Amazing that you somehow shoe-horned some bigotry into this thread, where it had no place until you decided you had to strike against those durn sexual deviants running amok and hailing satan or whatever. Keep your ignorance on Stormfront or Freep, where it belongs.

I didnt shoehorn anything. The games lore is pretty specific about the gender lock of certain classes. It therefore makes no sense to complain about it, unless of course you lack appreciation for the developers work, the story and the world they are trying to create. A Valkyrie for example is a mythical, exclusively female creature. If you had visited Calpheon you would also understand Pearl Abyss' vision behind the class.

But hey, lets pretend that none of these complaints are connected whatsoever, right? When I call you out for your close minded gender agendas then thats less offensive than what youre doing, which is basically spitting on the developers work.

Edited by nyyyyy
1 person likes this

Posted

Man...did you ever saw a Valkyrie dude in history? This will make no sense -_- Valkyries are women, deal with it.

From Wiki: In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live.

3 people like this

Posted

Did I argue against gender locking? No,  in fact I kind of like the throwback quality to it.  

All I argued against was you bringing unrelated political/religious nonsense into a topic that did not warrant it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm even ok with it, IF all have counter part classes.....which we do not.  

Posted

Yeah, would definitely like to see a female counter part of a beserker!

Posted (edited)

Yeah, would definitely like to see a female counter part of a beserker!

Heard some rumors that one is already in the game client. 

You didn't hear it from me tho`... xD

Edited by Chun-Chun
1 person likes this

Posted

Heard some rumors that one is already in the game client. 

You didn't hear it from me tho`... xD

omg, won't be able to sleep tonight, too excited and happy!

Posted

Hi,

A question.... Why make a game in 2015 with gender locked classes? It does not make sense to me.

I was going to play the Ranger but because is only female I am forced to change class (I don't like playing female characters!, I will probably play warrior), why limit the game?

The game has an amazing character personalisation system but limits the user on the class selection.

There are very few players that do not care about this limits which is fine but talking with my friends and guild mates they found this very inconvenient.

I strongly believe removing this restriction will make everybody happy.

Thank you,

because of Story...
Dragon Nest is the best example for genderlock Story...

Academic is a clone of a female Person -> not possible to have a male Academic, Archer is an Elf, Elves are almost female only and only get a male once every few hundred years... the male elve is used for Story already.  Sorceress are a guild of Women only the male Counterpart are clerics, they agreed in using different Kind of Magics due to war between them earlier on. And so on... 
BDO has also a Story involving all classes... not sure how deeply they are integrated and if they make it impossible to have a male/female Version with exact skills for some classes.. but most will get a Counterpart anyway. Tamer f.e. is also Kind of an unique female ability, Valkyrie is a female only rank in Mythologie, Warriors are commonly Male only in middle Ages. Giant is part of a big race that has almost only Males, in whole bdo there is as far as i remember no female giant available so far, could be wrong though. And so on..

Asian games love the Genderlock System... and i am a fan of them... who honestly cares if you play a male or a female? Who is so Sexist that he wants to play a male only because he is a male and would feel unhappy to have to play a female, meaning females are weaker and worse than males... (most ppl indirectly think that way even if they dont think thats their main reason, not saying you automatically are a sexist) and so on.. noone will call you a weirdo if you play a female class as a male. Especially not in a genderlocked game..
As Long as the mechanics and the playstyle suits you, just play it.. new Counterparts will take 1-2 years at least (especially for NA/EU Version) so dont bet on it so soon and just enjoy your game. 

2 people like this

Posted

I like the way they are doing the classes.   as long they keep adding male and females counterparts to each class, I will be happy.

would love to play as a male sorcerer.  they could be warlocks or necromancers.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I can't imagine why classes would be gender locked.  Rendering abilities?  Does the male character jerk off while swinging a sword or something?  I'm obviously new here, but can't imagine any reason for this.  Less available avenues and options to play a MMO "your way," is always bad.

For those yelling "sexism," you don't know what gender I want to pick.  Why force the option upon us?  If it's the story that's locking genders, it's bad story writing; and it affects enjoying the gameplay for some, which shouldn't happen.

Edited by Kyai
3 people like this

Posted

yes Please dont gender-lock Characters !..

I dont know if its a big thing in Asia to gender-lock characters?, but in EU we like the freedom to choose the gender our self
I know its a big dev. thing to amimate two genders, but trust me it will pay of in the end :-)

so common BDO you can do it!  :-D

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

because of Story...Dragon Nest is the best example for genderlock Story...

Academic is a clone of a female Person -> not possible to have a male Academic, Archer is an Elf, Elves are almost female only and only get a male once every few hundred years... the male elve is used for Story already.  Sorceress are a guild of Women only the male Counterpart are clerics, they agreed in using different Kind of Magics due to war between them earlier on. And so on... 
BDO has also a Story involving all classes... not sure how deeply they are integrated and if they make it impossible to have a male/female Version with exact skills for some classes.. but most will get a Counterpart anyway. Tamer f.e. is also Kind of an unique female ability, Valkyrie is a female only rank in Mythologie, Warriors are commonly Male only in middle Ages. Giant is part of a big race that has almost only Males, in whole bdo there is as far as i remember no female giant available so far, could be wrong though. And so on..

Asian games love the Genderlock System... and i am a fan of them... who honestly cares if you play a male or a female? Who is so Sexist that he wants to play a male only because he is a male and would feel unhappy to have to play a female, meaning females are weaker and worse than males... (most ppl indirectly think that way even if they dont think thats their main reason, not saying you automatically are a sexist) and so on.. noone will call you a weirdo if you play a female class as a male. Especially not in a genderlocked game..
As Long as the mechanics and the playstyle suits you, just play it.. new Counterparts will take 1-2 years at least (especially for NA/EU Version) so dont bet on it so soon and just enjoy your game. 

On the topic of men being better then woman... Guys are stronger plain and simple Its how our bodies where designed. And i am one of those people who cant play a girl because it breaks my immersion rather then being sexist. 

5804F5B0-4A37-44F3-970E-68AF1765EFB0.JPG

Edited by Jether
4 people like this

Posted

Genderlocking, from my experience, is mostly to depict heroes of a certain order/lineage for a more strengthened story effect regarding the particular locked class/hero. Removing that turns the immersion of your character into a generic everyone else kind of thing eliminating any presence of any story since you're a dime a dozen. That is all.

I totally disagree. It is not true that a character becomes generic, quite opposite! And what has the story to do with the gender of a playing character. I don't understand your point of view, it may have some good reasons to lock the gender but at the moment I fail to understand why.

Thank you for the response.

kind Regards

Posted (edited)

I totally disagree. It is not true that a character becomes generic, quite opposite! And what has the story to do with the gender of a playing character. I don't understand your point of view, it may have some good reasons to lock the gender but at the moment I fail to understand why.

Thank you for the response.

kind Regards

Edited by Rohan
Sorry for Double post
1 person likes this