• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Gender Locked Classes? Seriously?

314 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To finally see a male Valkyrie would actually be some change to the mainstream norse-myth Valkyrie which we did already see many times in all other kind of games/movies and what not. They could create their own mythology why now there are male Valkyries. 

It isn't just Norse mythology saying no male Valkyries. It is the fact that the place they are trained has no males. Every person there is female. Quite simply there are no male Valkyries, even as NPCs. This is already established in the game.

Edited by Noth
2 people like this

Posted

It isn't just Norse mythology saying no male Valkyries. It is the fact that the place they are trained has no males. Every person there is female. Quite simply there are no male Valkyries, even as NPCs. This is already established in the game.

Just because its established in the game NOW, does not mean they cant change it in a future update. This is after all just a made up story from some developers (though most part was just taken from the mythology, they did not bother to change anything there). There is no reason that they cant change it... the question is rather if they want.

Posted

Gender locked classes are normally a method to save development resources. Things like having to make a piece of armor fit two character models and to have visual differences. The outfits of the female characters are not what a male would typically wear. So you have to create a different model for the armor. This is especially so with the male and female characters wearing vastly different types of outfits (all the females wear the typical female video game outfits)...ala warrior and Valkyrie. 

So there isnt a lore reason, there is a game development reason that they decided to make up lore to back it up.

I greatly dislike it, however at the end of the day It doesnt bug me much. I would like to be able to get a valkryrie into a set of actual armor instead of a skirt.

Posted

On the topic of men being better then woman... Guys are stronger plain and simple Its how our bodies where designed. And i am one of those people who cant play a girl because it breaks my immersion rather then being sexist. 

5804F5B0-4A37-44F3-970E-68AF1765EFB0.JPG

Sounds pretty sexist to me. You're saying that even in a fantasy world, with magic, the lore still has to be consistent with your idea of the real world that men are stronger?

Posted (edited)

I like the concept behind the gender lock, but it was very poorly executed.  First off let's not pretend it's about "the lore".  The reason why the lore says women are gifted in magic, and men not, is so that they can have attractive young female characters, which is fun to play and good for business. Sorceress, and witch, and ranger, are young and hot not because the lore says so, but the lore says so because they are young and hot.  The only characters negatively affected by lore are male -Wizard and Berserker who are old and ugly.

If they wanted to do character diversity based on lore (which is not a bad thing in itself) then they should have a more equal male/female distribution of characters and "lore affected" characters.  Instead of balancing, they have only 3 male characters for release and 2 of them unusual appearance.  If you want to play a normal, healthy looking male, you have 1 choice which means no choice at all.  And I doubt it was for diversity's sake because by comparison, the women characters are pretty interchangeable in their appearance. 

Edited by Havoc
1 person likes this

Posted

I like the concept behind the gender lock, but it was very poorly executed.  First off let's not pretend it's about "the lore".  The reason why the lore says women are gifted in magic, and men not, is so that they can have attractive young female characters, which is fun to play and good for business. Sorceress, and witch, and ranger, are young and hot not because the lore says so, but the lore says so because they are young and hot.  The only characters negatively affected by lore are male -Wizard and Berserker who are old and ugly.

If they wanted to do character diversity based on lore (which is not a bad thing in itself) then they should have a more equal male/female distribution of characters and "lore affected" characters.  Instead of balancing, they have only 3 male characters for release and 2 of them unusual appearance.  If you want to play a normal, healthy looking male, you have 1 choice which means no choice at all.  And I doubt it was for diversity's sake because by comparison, the women characters are pretty interchangeable in their appearance. 

You're missing the point, which was apparently immersion is broken if females can do things as males do in a fantasy world with elements obviously not in the real world like magic/sorcery.

Obviously their choice to create classes and genders is based on budgeting, females simply appeal to a greater male gaming audience. 

Posted

No idea why everyone is so upset about genderlock. If you are really into roleplaying i could imagine it being a problem, but else i don't see why it's such a big thing. Even if it's annoying for some people, where is that a reason to not play the game at all. That's like saying i don't like my job because my boss wears an ugly yellow tie.

Posted

You're missing the point, which was apparently immersion is broken if females can do things as males do in a fantasy world with elements obviously not in the real world like magic/sorcery.

Obviously their choice to create classes and genders is based on budgeting, females simply appeal to a greater male gaming audience. 

Not missing the point at all.  Maybe making a different point than you?  As my point has nothing to do with how realistic hulking female characters would be or anything like that.  My point is that the gender lock was executed poorly with their extremely limited pool of male characters available.

Posted (edited)

double post

Edited by Tsurugi
double post

Posted (edited)

Not missing the point at all.  Maybe making a different point than you?  As my point has nothing to do with how realistic hulking female characters would be or anything like that.  My point is that the gender lock was executed poorly with their extremely limited pool of male characters available.

My bad then, I thought you were replying to my first post in this thread.

You may say it was executed poorly, but simple fact is most MMO gamers are males and most males would choose to play a female in an MMO if given the chance. There is a reason why MMO's try to attract players with gorgeous female characters displayed. If PA had unlimited resources, and perfect male/female ratios were a demand from their player base, I'm pretty sure more male races or whatever would be created.  I also wouldn't call it extremely limited neither, 5 out of 12 are male 'classes', that isn't even near extreme.

Edited by Tsurugi
1 person likes this

Posted

My bad then, I thought you were replying to my first post in this thread.

You may say it was executed poorly, but simple fact is most MMO gamers are males and most males would choose to play a female in an MMO if given the chance. There is a reason why MMO's try to attract players with gorgeous female characters displayed. If PA had unlimited resources, and perfect male/female ratios were a demand from their player base, I'm pretty sure more male races or whatever would be created.  I also wouldn't call it extremely limited neither, 5 out of 12 are male 'classes', that isn't even near extreme.

No problem! <3    And you are correct.  5 out of 12 would be great.  When we get 5 male character I would be very happy.  For release, we only have 3.  And 2 of those 3 are an old man, and Hodor.  That was my issue, in my first comment. 

Posted (edited)

Not trying to start a fight here but does anyone want to share why gender lock means so much to them? Outside of MMOs, your character's gender is almost always locked and usually because you're playing a character that fits somewhere in the lore of the game. I'll list off some examples to avoid confusion.

Lara Croft of Tomb Raider didn't get a Larry Croft option.
Sam Fisher of Splinter Cell didn't get a Samantha Fisher option.

I hope that makes sense. I've never had an issue playing a game because I couldn't be a girl character. But I don't know. I'm honestly just curious.

Also 

HODOOOORRR.

Maybe they'll add more in the future? I feel like they're been making an effort to make counterparts while also making them somewhat unique to eachother so maybe they'll make more for some of these other ones that are so far female only.

Edited by Espionetta

Posted

The one thing thing that i find that would be  Difficult for the RP Community that contribute to  any MMORPG   with  that in mind the ONLY class that really need  Genders for both classes is the ranger. i can understand why  and see why magic can come more easy (lore)  but using a bow is the MOST unisex  weapon.  to be honest and the people that are blind on the internet.  female character does not mean female player lol  as being a male  i have created  1 female character  and it  was pretty bad,   

Posted

I think there should only be female classes because you're all pussies

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It basically comes down to whether or not you wish to be forced to play a character you do not want to play due to some arbitrary and poor chosen lore decisions that prevent you from feeling 100% enjoyment in playing the class that you want to play. My simple decision regarding this matter is that if my class that i am interested in is gender locked as a gender i do not want to be (female), then I will simply not play the game. I won't bother wasting my time, money, or effort for a character that I "settled" on. You can't claim to have in-depth and unique character customization and then turn around have gender lock at every turn. That isn't unique, or in-depth, that is strictly narrow-minded archaic developing practice. So in response to the OP; if your preferred class turns out to be gender locked into a gender you do not wish to play as, then just don't waste your time on such a crappy game. And yes, it doesn't matter how good the game is in other aspects, if you can't even be happy with your character, the whole game gets kinda ruined for people who do not wish to be restricted in that manner. 

While some of you may not have an issue with gender lock, that doesn't mean there is no issue with it. There is. And a valid one, at that. It is unnecessary to have multiple class counterparts when an easier solution would be just to remove gender locking from your head, entirely. Most people don't play mmorpgs for some lame ass attempt of "feeling special and unique." They play to have fun and to enjoy the story. Hard to have fun when every time you look at your character, you are unhappy with it. Don't make someone feel stupid because they care about something that you apparently do not. You're not better than they are for wanting to be what they want to be. 

*edit* And also, having a class counterpart, is not the same as having the male or female version of a class that you want to play. Why? Because the classes may be similar, but will of course be very different, some more so than others. So it isn't "truly" a gender counterpart. And so, that is not a valid compromise. The players are who can make or break a game. So you try to cater to what you think your players would like or want. Some will play this because they don't care about gender locking, others won't care because they're horny teenagers/grown men who'd rather stare at pixelated giant boobs while they play (although, they aren't really looking at them while doing most content because I'm sure trying to live takes precedence), but we'll keep letting them tell us that that is why they chose that gender for play~ we'd HATE for them to question their masculinity by making male character *cough*~ And then there are yet still others whom gender /age does indeed matter, and is a great turn off. Most "popular" games actually do NOT incorporate gender locking, and if they do, it's only in the case of one or two races out of however many they have, up to 12 or whatever. GW2, WoW, Blade and Soul, Final Fantasy 14 Realm Reborn, Perfect World, Neverwinter Nights Online, Tera, Rift, LOTRO, DDO, DCUO, etc, etc. 

In response to the person asking why gender matters when most console games restrict you as a gender, the answer is very simple. MMORPGs differ from console games in one very simple way. You're not just a part of the story, but you're incorporated into it. Whereas in most console games, because even some of them let you choose gender,  Baldur's Gate, for example, you're just a part of the story, involved in it, but not really a part of it as a separate entity. Gender locking occurs mostly in Asian produced games, whereas almost all games produced in the West clearly do not have gender locking, clearly demonstrating it as not very popular to its players. 

Edited by RedX90
3 people like this

Posted

So many games I played has gender lock mainly because the characters and it's gender is connected with the lore and sometimes for situations like the Valkyrie. It barely is an issue to me unless when it comes down to role playing if you wanted to play a character within the games lore. Only thing about the issue that I can personally see is that if you don't want to RP as some veteran like man or young females then it causes issues in the RP community. Me personally though, I don't care for what gender I have to RP as long as I can make a story between the game's background and my own personal character's lore.

Oh and I'm not saying that gender lock is insignificant. The most thing when it comes to creating your character is usually making that character appear the way your vision shows. As a result from that, you do the best you can to make your created character appear as to one's vision. I guess that's why most people here are upset with gender locks but if it's not because of character customization then honestly, I don't think a person should really care about what gender they choose in their character since they're more interested into the game play itself. That also applies to people who don't even think about spend the time to actually try to make their character look decent.

Posted

Not trying to start a fight here but does anyone want to share why gender lock means so much to them? Outside of MMOs, your character's gender is almost always locked and usually because you're playing a character that fits somewhere in the lore of the game. I'll list off some examples to avoid confusion.

Lara Croft of Tomb Raider didn't get a Larry Croft option.
Sam Fisher of Splinter Cell didn't get a Samantha Fisher option.

I hope that makes sense. I've never had an issue playing a game because I couldn't be a girl character. But I don't know. I'm honestly just curious.

I'll try to answer your question, though I'm only the one person so other people can and will answer differently...

(Answer is long and put into spoilers for easy reading and to prevent thread congestion)

The examples you gave are of defined characters:

- You play as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider.
- You play as Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell.
- In these games, you play as set, defined characters with set, defined backstories; set, defined personalities, traits, abilities, interests, preferences, names, faces (though some games will let you customize the protagonist's face and some of their decisions; EX. Commander Shepard in Mass Effect, but they remain their own characters overall.)

...But in an MMORPG?

You are creating your own character and entering the world; seeing it through their eyes. Interpreting it as they would interpret it...at least, that's how a roleplayer would answer...and roleplayers are as diverse as the roles they choose to take on:

- Some like to play entirely within the rules/lore of the world they are in.
- Some do not take the rules/lore of the world too seriously but still try to dance the line between 'what is fun' and 'what is lore-friendly'.
- Some people ignore the lore and just have silly fun.
- Some people do...other things. o.O

-----------------

While some MMOs tend to feature a fatal-flaw in their approach to storytelling (typically in the form of 'You are the chosen one! By the way, there are a couple hundred-thousand other chosen ones, go kill ten goblins and come back for fifty gold.'), Roleplayers create their own adventures with each other.

The issue, then, with Gender/Body-Type/Age-Locked characters is that it becomes harder to create a character you like versus a character that fits within the confines of the game.

Ignore the reasons why such locks are in place (resources and budget, audience/fan/sex appeal, lore, ETC), these locks make it harder to create the characters that people would like to make:

- What if my wizard was a magical savant and learned faster than others? (semi-possible to make, though not as a young man like people are hoping)
- I want to be a male archer, but I have to choose between a female archer, or a male who is either an old wizard, a burly ogre of a man, or a muscular warrior type?
- What if I want to Roleplay as a female warrior, but not use magic? (You can just not use magic in RP scenarios, though there are some roleplayers who stay in character at all times...)
- I want to dual-wield, but don't want to be a giant.
- I want to use a spear, but I can only use a sword and shield...

- I want to be a fat, balding archer. (...I doubt you can make a fat, balding female ranger...I'll have to try this in CBT2 )
- I want my witch to be a nasty old hag. (Can you do this I'll have to try this also...)

and many other things.

When you have the ability to make your own character, everyone has a different idea as to what that means. Hence the conflict.

I hope that that, in some way, shape, or form, helps to answer your question! :)

---------------------

As for where I stand on the issue? In summary, I'm content with the concept but want more variety (classes, physical builds, ETC) so others and myself may make characters we will enjoy!

From the sounds of things, they will eventually come out with new classes to help balance out the combat types (Male Ranger, Male and Female Light swordsman, and Male and Female Rogue/Ninja classes), which leaves the question of Body-Type and Age-Locking.

- Age-Locking is really only an issue with the Wizard, which in turn is due to lore reasons...I don't see a reason why they couldn't have slightly younger faces (possibly as young as mid-late thirties and up to early forties?) though a game should also respect its lore while still allowing for progress; Wizards might be old now, but maybe later the lore will allow for young wizards by way of an Elixir of Youth or some sort of Black Magic Spell? New teaching methods can shorten training time? Some men are fast learners?

What some people mistake as 'The lore says no.' should really be thought of as 'The lore says try again later'. Lore progresses and changes over time; you can't point to a piece of lore from Yesterday and expect it to still be fully intact a year later...though as of now it seems to be 'try again later'. Sorry, wizards! Otherwise, I don't have too strong an opinion on Age-Locking since I'm not planning to play as a Wizard any time soon anyways! Still, I'm rooting for you guys, maybe someday you'll get younger adult faces for your magic men! :P

- Body-Type Locking can be solved with alternate classes as well: if you want to roleplay as a character who dual-wields but don't want to be the lumbering berserker, perhaps the upcoming ninja is for you? (Assuming ninja DOES dual wield daggers or something). It doesn't look like its too big of an issue with the otherwise human races, though people may be put off by not being able to play a small, lanky berserker...No real beef with this either: if your fighting style involves throwing your enemies around, you shouldn't be a small, lanky dude!

But I hope you dual-wielding affectionados eventually get a class that's right for you!

-----

So yeah, I just hope we get more customization overall to help add diversity and make it easier for people to make a character they can enjoy spending time as! ^_^

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Alright, I know I'm heading into the danger zone but I'm going to just come out and say it since some people might agree with me.

Using roleplay as an excuse is just sad and definitely isn't a legitimate excuse to want something changed. /endrant

Now before someone starts loading this guns, I am a roleplayer myself. I have roleplayed since EQ1 on pretty much every mainstream MMO you can think of and more.

There's been plenty of games that had lore that conflicted with my character ideas, but you know what? If you're creative, you can make a lot of things work. (There's some special things I've seen in RP which I am very glad never got added but that's besides the point) Everyone has different ideas for what they want their character to be, how they want things to work or look. For a dev to add any few of those is to make those people's ideas superior to their lore and make inferior anything anyone else wanted. That's pretty much akin to soaking in gasoline and hanging out by a bonfire. To expect the devs to change things despite the fact that in their lore it makes sense I think is just silly alone, but to use RP as an excuse for it is even worse.

Are roleplayers really that petty now? I've had my characters lose limbs, have imaginary pets/kids/items with them, had them train in classes I was not. Since when did your actual ability to play a class effect your ability to RP them if you really want to be that special person? I'm not knocking this, I'm just saying you don't actually -need- the class to be able to play it. I fully intend of having my Sorc learn fighting techniques from her Warrior comrade. No, you're never going to -physically- see a sword and shield on her, but you can imagine it. I don't know if I've -ever- seen a game where people didn't RP multiple "classes" on one character based on their OOC skill/spell restrictions. Because that's what RP is, imagination.

This point extends to pretty much everything people have been saying that want changes on. Physical shape, weapon restrictions, age/gender; this stuff has NEVER stopped roleplayers. Wildstar had (in my opinion) terrible character creation and female Exiles/Cassians walked like ducks. WoW originally didn't have paladins on Horde or Shamans on Alliance, and it stayed that way for -years- so I don't even want to hear that they did it to appeal to the people in Vanilla who asked for it. That being said, this game also offers an incredibly well done character creation, I've seen some amazing creations already of people making their classes look more masculine/feminine. I can't say I've tried it myself, but I suppose in CBT2 I'll be spending most of it tinkering to see if I can't make some of the males look more feminine, women look more masculine, old look younger, etc. It won't be perfect, no, but if perfection is what you're going for as an RPer in a universe that is NOT your own creation, then I don't know why you're not sticking to forums where you can draw/commission your own concept art.

I don't expect everyone would be okay with this solution. More so I am not saying that roleplayers don't have a right to wish things were different but you expect games to actually change aspects of their game when roleplaying has -always- been about creativity and imagination is just... ugh. THAT gives us roleplayers a bad name in my book. 

Edited by Espionetta
1 person likes this

Posted

Personally what I believe the real problem that people seem to be having is how “Gender Lock” is handed to us via the Naming Conventions. I think most of this is due to not having upfront explanation as to WHY these “classes” are gender locked (at this time). I personally believe there is a better outcome than just dismissing the game or being upset you can’t play a class because of a gender lock (again, at this time).

I think one of the more helpful things they would be able to do for themselves is for the NA server to propose a different format to their classes when attempting to explain them, which would result in very little change to in-game dialogue and again this only has to do with presentation of the naming convention.

Example 1 Witch/Wizard:

The Magi

Those who have practiced the magical arts involving the evocation of the elements are known as the Magi. These casters are known for two methods of harnessing this magic, externally or internally. Externally they summon forth the known elements making their bodies a catalyst for massive deviation from afar as where inwardly focusing this power by making their bodies battle hardened and infused with mana. Should situations ever turn dire for the magi they have also learned to avoid combat by using short ranged teleportation magic’s. Individually these practitioners may also refer to themselves as a Witch if female, or a Wizard if male.

Example 2 Valkyrie/Warrior

The Warriors

Warriors of the realms are masters of the sword and shield.

Male warriors, or fighters, are often drawn to the battle front which leads them to the life of a solider, mercenary, guard or caravan attendee. These positions allow them to become masters of the defensive tactics, or an all-out brutal assault weapon focused on heavy weaponry.

Females who are drawn to the battle hardened life of a warrior tend to have a more fluid fighting style with lighter weaponry than their fighter counterpart. These females are referred to as Valkyrie and are drawn by sometimes a greater force than they understand through the service of Elion. Valkyrie comes from an order in Calephon and they have learned much of the art that fighters have but blend their faith into their combat style.

Now below I don’t write up example text but attempt to outline counterparts on the content that has yet to be announced to NA and a different naming convention for those as well.

The Elves
Ranger
Archer(?)
    -  ((?) Has yet to be released information on this, but there is content in game)

The Giant
Berserker
Skaði(?)
    -  ((?) Merely a suggestion, as it’s a giant in Norse lore as well…. Most giant lore is from there that I can find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaði)

Hexer
Necromancer(?)
    - ((?) Nowhere even remotely touched on other than by request)
Sorceress

The Assassin
Ninja
Kunoichi

The Mercenary
Plums
Blader

Now clearly we know some of the reasoning’s as to why there are not male/female counterparts and I will use the Tamer to explain; development time.

From what I understand the Tamer was a last toss in request for the NA release, so development clearly is an issue here and it just means we will have to patiently wait like good boys, girls, and genderlocked unknowns.

The time it takes for them to make the content for the other sex can be seen (at this time) as a time dump so while they attempt to get as much content for us, the battle for the sexes will have to wait. So I agree with Havoc.

To a degree I just wish they had released all equal counter genders (Ninja/Kunoichi, Plums/Blader, Valkyrie/Warrior, Witch/Wizard) and then had special release for lore locked content (Or perhaps you even unlocked these classes in game?)

Just a rant, enjoy!

Posted

Just a rant, enjoy!

Rants are wonderful =^.^=

- Kat

Posted (edited)

I don't like the gender lock at all. I would like the choice of playing a Male Human Ranger ( with a Bow NOT a crossbow ) I can settle for a Male Elf Ranger with a bow.. Unfortunately I am forced to play the Male Blader, oh wait its not available at Launch. So now I am forced to play a Male warrior.. This feels bad tbh.. I feel very restricted already, not a good thing for a sandbox mmo. I have a high hopes that the devs will give the community what they want.

Edited by Hoody
1 person likes this

Posted

its simple the game has gender locking its been released I kr jp ru and now na\EU that being sad it has sucess everywhere its launched. If you are complaining you can't play a class due to gender you are really being nit picky consider all almost every class has a counter minus sorc,tamer, and giant because they already stated they are making male ranger you really mean to say the class u want doesn't have the gender u have then either wait till it releases, play a diff class, or don't play the game its simple. They wont rework the entire class system and lore for one version when already 3 others are already made. No point crying about things that wont change its like crying the dinosaurs are extinct. All the wah in the won't bring them back just like it wont give u both genders per class.

Posted

Hey-O again!

If you are complaining you can't play a class due to gender you are really being nit picky consider all almost every class has a counter minus sorc,tamer, and giant because they already stated they are making male ranger you really mean to say the class u want doesn't have the gender u have then either wait till it releases, play a diff class, or don't play the game its simple. 

I truthfully believe that this is actually the -biggest- problem with the Gender Lock issue, and I -don't- blame anyone for it.... 

Lemme explain,

Investment of Time.

When the game launches "most of the people" reading these forums already know what they have their heart set on playing... Why? Because we have been researching and scouring the inter-webz and then thusly pinning over the content like a child looking into the glass in the restricted section of the game store. We all know that feeling, anticipation for something...Great...!

But what's this?! Release isn't going to have those ungodly awesome things that those OTHER KIDS have! WE want it Noooooow! - And I agree.

The thing about that though is with game production your initial investment assist the game producers in knowing if it's worth continued investment to put towards providing content for a game. Licencing becomes another fact with this as they have to confirm what content they are able to release, and when. Supporting the game by buying the Pre-Release is taking a risk assessment and hoping your invested cash pans out via the content that you want. If it doesn't you still get to play the game for what they have made, which as I have stated elsewhere is less than some people spend going to the movies/out to eat once or twice.

What does this part have to do with an investment of time?

At this time, many of you won't be able to play the Race/Class combo that you want because either it isn't out in NA yet, or hasn't been made anywhere else yet. That means you will have to time dump into a character as a substitute for it being your "main" until the class male/female/unknown you want comes tot he NA-Lands.

Solution to this? - Gender Change Ticket.

This is already a thing in some games where they let you change the race, gender, hair style, facial, tattoos, and over all, well, everything. If the Gender Lock is such an issue for the NA majority perhaps there can be an icon that the PM's/DM's/CM's allow the owner of the character to click so that once the release of the content is here within our loving bosom they will provide you the ability to "have a sex change."

This, again, is just a suggestion.

Posted

This is about to be a long post. I apologize. But I'm sure if you stick with it you will not regret it. There is seriousness. Comedy. And even a hug somewhere in there.

One of my issues (because it is not a problem) is that I am a grown ass gamer. I want to be treated as such. Everyone seems to be making the excuse that by gender/race locking they are saving time and resources to be able to provide further work in areas that can keep people playing the game IE Quests, Maps and the sort. Unfortunately this is not what we see. Fan popularity and the sort have shown us that content can be pushed at a faster rate for testing as the Tamer class has revealed. Pearl Abyss has gone on record to say they have heard the people and will release multiple classes as they are able to and overcome the gender lock. So which is it? Do we say "We might be making you wait, but look at all this content we can use to make up for lack of variety" or "No worries. You want variety? Here is a little more!". I would rather everyone was on the same page and treated me for what I am: A grown ass gamer. Treated as someone that can be trusted with the information rather than a bunch of tall tales as to why something is being done only to see actions that defy what was already stated. This may sound to many as Saltiness. No. In no way is it me being salty. I already bought the game. I already put $100 dollars down on it. I'm gonna play it hard when it comes out. But eventually I will be faced with what many of you will be faced: "The Wait".

We all had the same reaction when the character customization videos blew up on the internet. "Holy crap I can make my character as I want with no worries." But then we get slapped by the horrible notification of Gender/Race Lock. The realization hits you hard that the character you have imagined to be will not be brought to life because the class/race/gender combination is not available. And yes many of us will live through this. I have been able to move from one vision to another. I have been able to see what I want to play and I can make it happen with then new knowledge that I have. But that doesn't mean the character I envisioned first will end up forgotten. And there comes the wait. I play hours with a new character I have conceptualize, and deep down inside I know would have been an ALT. Now it must be the main seat until the real main can be created. And in reality it feels like the time investment I placed on an "ALT made main" could have been better spent on a real "Main". Again not salty. I have provided an explanation that can help you familiarize with where I stand on the issue. Again... an issue because it is not a problem. A problem would indicate we are still searching for a solution and a solution is there.... Time is what is missing from the equation.

All I have said amounts to the one thing I look for the most on any game in which I am made to take the reigns of a character, and that is Roleplay! I love roleplaying. Everyone does. Whether you like to admit it or not, you often wonder what it would be like to BE that character. The adventures YOU would go on. The life you would lead. All of this is where I'm trying to go. It is a small release from the stressful reality that is real life problems IE a job.

"But Deej! Isn't that what perverts do?"

This is something everyone does. It is how we coped with reality when we were children. Personally I had plenty adventures as a Fireman. And today is not something different. I love writing stories. I love designing characters. I love wondering how it is that those characters would interact with a world that is alive. I admit it is much more detailed and complex than when I was the fireman fighting an imaginary fire on a Lego building, but the CORE is still there. Holy crap.... So much info on myself. You guys all know me a little more. I'll take hugs at the end.... If you want them LOL. But here is where this comes into war with the Gender/Race Lock.

I wanted to play a version of a character I have already played before... A new version for a different game, right? Issue? The character is male archer. "Well hmmm. I don't have a male archer to go off. Do I want him to carry them amazing knockers around? No. That be weird. I'd know deep inside the original intent was to not ogle the hell out of him... her... it? Well I guess I could make him into a Wiz.... Nope.... The wizard is old. Crap. Well the warriors seem to be in their mid to late 20's.... What's with all the muscle? Why cant I make him a bit lankier? NO! He is an archer! #*&%!" 

Notice what I did there. With every realization of how much the character customization hides the fact that you are stuck in a specific way that you do not want for the character you visualized, you, like me, might start getting frustrated. At first I looked over the obvious issue, but with every choice to fix it, I find even more walls to really create a character that I have immersed myself into. The frustration then turns to anger and we all see based on all these threads how bad that gets.

"But Deej. You said you envisioned another character!"

I did indeed. Not the main one I wanted to play really bad, that all the character customization makes you BELIEVE you can create. But I found the way to appease myself. So I thought of a way to create a secondary character I have invented as part of the 1st storyline and let me tell you, aside from the fact that they are mostly hand to hand until awakened, the Sorceress fits that character like a glove. BTW. Kudos if you read that last part like Ace Ventura. I know I said it that way when I wrote it.

But here is the deal I have now. There is a character I was able to really build and get my hands dirty with work while doing so.... "Now. How to roleplay her? I know in her main incarnation she can be a tease. I can keep that. Good. Lets go tease some people.... Too Old.... Too big and Ugly..... Why the hell do you look like Ricky Martin? Or all those other Ricky Martin wanabees? FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

Do I really see this character settling down with a wizard? No. He looks old enough to be her father! What about a Giant? First of all.... Anatomy. That sounds like it could hurt. Then there is the Ricky Martin issue.... Let's not get started on that one. There is my point. This amazing and expansive world gets shut down roleplay wise because there is nothing you can work with in terms of characters. Why are there so many actors in this great stage, but not enough roles to fill? I know.

"Holy crap Deej! Put a sock in it!"

It's a lot. But I wanted to share it with you all. This is what I have experienced myself in the process of the Gender/Race lock and how it has affected me I believe many might be sitting at home thinking along the same lines, yet don't seem to be able to vocalize without sounding childish, salty or angsty to someone out there who might believe the best way of telling you is by being a dunce. I understand. I get the pain. But the game will still be done. It will be played hard and I will patiently wait to grace the servers with my male Ranger, Archer... Whatever the hell it is you want to call it. Hope that if you stuck with me till the end, you feel like someone out there understands you and that it is not going to be bad. We will get through this yet, peeps. Stay Classy!

Eureka!!! I'll make her into a lesbian! Why did I not think of that?
... wait. Is this thing still typing. CRAP!!!!!

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hey-O again!

I truthfully believe that this is actually the -biggest- problem with the Gender Lock issue, and I -don't- blame anyone for it.... 

Lemme explain,

Investment of Time.

When the game launches "most of the people" reading these forums already know what they have their heart set on playing... Why? Because we have been researching and scouring the inter-webz and then thusly pinning over the content like a child looking into the glass in the restricted section of the game store. We all know that feeling, anticipation for something...Great...!

But what's this?! Release isn't going to have those ungodly awesome things that those OTHER KIDS have! WE want it Noooooow! - And I agree.

The thing about that though is with game production your initial investment assist the game producers in knowing if it's worth continued investment to put towards providing content for a game. Licencing becomes another fact with this as they have to confirm what content they are able to release, and when. Supporting the game by buying the Pre-Release is taking a risk assessment and hoping your invested cash pans out via the content that you want. If it doesn't you still get to play the game for what they have made, which as I have stated elsewhere is less than some people spend going to the movies/out to eat once or twice.

What does this part have to do with an investment of time?

At this time, many of you won't be able to play the Race/Class combo that you want because either it isn't out in NA yet, or hasn't been made anywhere else yet. That means you will have to time dump into a character as a substitute for it being your "main" until the class male/female/unknown you want comes tot he NA-Lands.

Solution to this? - Gender Change Ticket.

This is already a thing in some games where they let you change the race, gender, hair style, facial, tattoos, and over all, well, everything. If the Gender Lock is such an issue for the NA majority perhaps there can be an icon that the PM's/DM's/CM's allow the owner of the character to click so that once the release of the content is here within our loving bosom they will provide you the ability to "have a sex change."

This, again, is just a suggestion.

I do get their is an investment issue involved with creating a "character" who isn't your prime pick. but their isn't an MMO ever made that all the classes are out at release. because the simple matter of the fact is their will always be expansions, additional content, and new additions to games. as it stand a lot of people grip that well other regions have class A or B already why cant we have to pay for the game. And for that matter it is somewhat justified. but no other release has had as many at Launch as we are having now. As of right now you have a huge selection and most people should be happy they added Tamer to the release group. Now the idea of Gender ticket is pointless because unlike all the other MMO's that have this feature the classes aren't gender locked. so your idea of a gender ticket would in essence be a complete character reroll. IE you play a toon to max and u get a ticket to get a whole diff class because its now male to female or vise versa. a lot of people made good points I have never herd of a Male Valkyrie or a male Kunoichi because their are non and to have that would mean lets just change the entire games lore. that's like saying that history is sexist because why want Cesar a woman or Cleopatra a man. the simple fact of it is their are titles in the world both in games and real life a Queen is a woman and a King is a man. their is a clear distinction in roles, physic, and the way they do business. Just like this game Warriors are males because during that period of time Warriors were men. Valkyries or Shield maidens were women. Men and Women fight differently IE the classes are different. This whole every class should be either or is kinda like saying lets strip away everything that makes a class unique and cool. (like this game) and make it a wow Clone were when new classes come out I can get a free lv 50 or when awakened wpns come out everyone should get one for free. Play the game for what it was ment to be quit trying to change the way the game is. and if you truly feel your wasting your money don't play. no one is forcing anyone to pay for this game. you pay for what u get. if you wanna influence a game and make decisions that affect the entire project then become a Dev. or build a game yourself. This isn't ment to be mean or anything its just common sense in a not so common sense world. MMO's started out as a bunch of people gathering around and waiting in waiting list to join parties to grind the same mobs over and over to level, or grinding dungeons to get resist gear to be able to fight bosses, or getting skilled players to do skill combos and magic bursts to do xp chains. now MMOs are the conveyor belts at airports u step on and u glide to the end.  

Edited by Ethenias
missing word