• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

So if you enjoy PVE...

368 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, only fitting for my own thread.  I wish everyone luck on the BDO adventure, for now I decided to hang back and not dive in like I usually do and always pre-order the best pack... but hang back and watch what happens after the initial funds are in and how Daum/PA continue when they are relying solely on cash shop.  Prices didn't matter to me, I convinced myself I could just level to the before PVP range and do my PVE ways..but along with the recent discovery of who a certain CM was, kind of reminded me of the controversies of AA.  

Anyway, I will not divulge more into that.  I want to see how the servers really act, if things are delivered as promised, etc as well when the pre-order hype is done and the real business takes place.  This time, I will see how the game functions maybe a couple months in, and where it goes... not like I will miss anything.  Not a real fan of any class in the game, except Valkyrie, but I preferred the ninja/samurai female counterparts when I was in KR.  Maybe then, we will see what is going on and how the game is shaping.

Its not goodbye, its see you soon~

2 people like this

Posted

Some are. Specifically this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_yLmeUXLsY

It's randomly generated when you enter. More info http://steparu.com/previews/mmorpg/1939-black-desert-exploring-the-new-areas-of-valencia-part-ii

We won't see that for a while though as it's the Valencia expansion.

They're not though. They are open world dungeons. By that I mean that when you enter you don't get your personal, copy-pasted, version of the dungeon, you share the same dungeon as everyone else. If you do enter it from there then yes, there is a loading screen when you get in, but that doesn't fall under the definition of instance.

Posted

Should a person simply avoid this game if they are a PVE player?  i only played the game for a bit in KR, got to level 20 and that time I enjoyed it, I loved the concept of the housing, open world environment/treasure hunting, and economy runs... not to mention the female Ninja and Valkyrie.  I don't know much, but I know there is a Karma system in place, however the PVP aspect seems to be up in the air atm.  Just would like to know, what can a person expect... is this going to be an open based where players can be PKed just for being there?  

Hopefully this can be simply answered and not get the "go play WoW" mentality that I have gotten recently for simply asking questions.

I you enjoy PvE theres plenty here! People will grieve you here and there but not till lvl 40 and the plenty to do there. Not seeing why people are so phobic about the open world pvp, there is no penalty if some one greives you and it can back fire on the pretty quickly. The way I would go about it is think of it as a way to have a bit of impromptu pvp practice fore free (since there is NO penalty for defending your self). that and people tend to gang up on a player who is tagged red.... 

Posted

They're not though. They are open world dungeons. By that I mean that when you enter you don't get your personal, copy-pasted, version of the dungeon, you share the same dungeon as everyone else. If you do enter it from there then yes, there is a loading screen when you get in, but that doesn't fall under the definition of instance.

I think "contested" is the word you're looking for.

Posted

Most gamers are well rounded and like to participate in both pvp and pve.  I love both myself, and i miss old mmorpgs like Ultima Online.  In that game you had guarded areas and if you went beyond that any player could decide to attack you and take your gear.  That opportunity type pvp situations is what made the game fun.  It also had a lot of pve stuff to do too.  My point is that if you are going to enjoy any mmorpg it might be a good idea to find fun in both.  I have played a lot of mmorpgs since 1997 and they all have plenty to do in pve and pvp.  I am not a big pvper myself but i do participate in events and if there are items or gear that require you to pvp then i usually do some of those just for the items.  

Posted

well I am level 56 ion Kr was kill once but some guy on a rock horse that had to go around my wagon I guess he did not like it 2 shot wagon gone and the 3 shot I dead well when people have +20 gear on you will not last just let them kill you and move on the best part about the English version i will be able to wispier them and tell them what a jerk they are

Posted

Should a person simply avoid this game if they are a PVE player?  i only played the game for a bit in KR, got to level 20 and that time I enjoyed it, I loved the concept of the housing, open world environment/treasure hunting, and economy runs... not to mention the female Ninja and Valkyrie.  I don't know much, but I know there is a Karma system in place, however the PVP aspect seems to be up in the air atm.  Just would like to know, what can a person expect... is this going to be an open based where players can be PKed just for being there?  

Hopefully this can be simply answered and not get the "go play WoW" mentality that I have gotten recently for simply asking questions.

Have you played Lineage 2 yet? :P

Posted (edited)

Have you played Lineage 2 yet? :P

Yes I have, PKed probably within 30 minutes outside a good sized town (no clue on name, was long ago) when I hit the PVP level I guess it was.  Uninstalled and never returned.

Edited by Inissa

Posted

Yes I have, PKed probably within 30 minutes outside a good sized town (no clue on name, was long ago) when I hit the PVP level I guess it was.  Uninstalled and never returned.

I think if you feel that strongly about being PKd and still want to play BDO, you should consider playing in KR instead with the English patch.  The NA/EU version would be the worst version for you.

In the KR version, you can basically be "soft capped" at lvl 49 and never worry about PVP or PKing.  You need to take a special quest to level above that and level 50 is the "PVP level" in KR.  Even if you decide to level  past that, your chances of getting PKd is slim because of very heavy penalties in their Karma system.

In the NA/EU version, they've lowered the "PVP level" to level 45, so you have will not be able to avoid PVP or PKing (unless you stop doing anything that gives XP at lvl 44 or repeatedly kill yourself to "lose" XP).  They're also changing the Karma system to reduce penalties for PKing.  They've   reduced Karma loss to make it easier for PKers to make back the Karma loss when they farm for loot and XP, so that you can PK and never have to deal with negative Karma or going red.  The actual penalties for dieing as a red is also greatly reduced.  Daum EU is very pro-PK, so this may not be the version for you.

Posted

I think if you feel that strongly about being PKd and still want to play BDO, you should consider playing in KR instead with the English patch.  The NA/EU version would be the worst version for you.

In the KR version, you can basically be "soft capped" at lvl 49 and never worry about PVP or PKing.  You need to take a special quest to level above that and level 50 is the "PVP level" in KR.  Even if you decide to level  past that, your chances of getting PKd is slim because of very heavy penalties in their Karma system.

In the NA/EU version, they've lowered the "PVP level" to level 45, so you have will not be able to avoid PVP or PKing (unless you stop doing anything that gives XP at lvl 44 or repeatedly kill yourself to "lose" XP).  They're also changing the Karma system to reduce penalties for PKing.  They've   reduced Karma loss to make it easier for PKers to make back the Karma loss when they farm for loot and XP, so that you can PK and never have to deal with negative Karma or going red.  The actual penalties for dieing as a red is also greatly reduced.  Daum EU is very pro-PK, so this may not be the version for you.

I'll say this the system is kind of going to cause a major exodus in a few weeks and probably have serious consequences to those like me who want fair and open warfare.

Best advice I can give people is quit or flag up and stay there so the sting is not so bad.

Again this is horrible game design to punish the victim for not wanting to partake of the developers stupidity. Petition them to stop this nonsense and reconsider it.

Posted

I think it's kind of funny that they would loosen PK restrictions with the horrible imbalance in gear. I'd say open world PvP on "mostly" even terms would be a lot of fun, but getting rolled by +18s while wearing your +15s and never having any kind of a chance because hey, "dat gear gap", is pretty legit.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think it's kind of funny that they would loosen PK restrictions with the horrible imbalance in gear. I'd say open world PvP on "mostly" even terms would be a lot of fun, but getting rolled by +18s while wearing your +15s and never having any kind of a chance because hey, "dat gear gap", is pretty legit.

precisely

Posted (edited)

I'll say this the system is kind of going to cause a major exodus in a few weeks and probably have serious consequences to those like me who want fair and open warfare.

Best advice I can give people is quit or flag up and stay there so the sting is not so bad.

Again this is horrible game design to punish the victim for not wanting to partake of the developers stupidity. Petition them to stop this nonsense and reconsider it.

Well, it's not technically the developers who designed this version of the game, but the publisher (Daum EU)  in this case.  The KR version of the game is the developer's version of the game.  The NA/EU version is Daum EU's version of the game (although the actual code changes was done by the developers as requested by Daum EU). Developer's often make special changes at the publisher's request cause they (the publisher) presumably understand their own region's preferences better.

I just wanted to let the OP know that there is another version of the game more suited to the OP's playstyle.

Edited by Whispurr

Posted

Judging by the whining abut the PvE grind you have to do for gear in the PvP forum I am betting the PKrs are going to get bored and leave in a few weeks anyway.

Posted

Well, it's not technically the developers who designed this version of the game, but the publisher (Daum EU)  in this case.  The KR version of the game is the developer's version of the game.  The NA/EU version is Daum EU's version of the game (although the actual code changes was done by the developers as requested by Daum EU). Developer's often make special changes at the publisher's request cause they (the publisher) presumably understand their own region's preferences better.

I just wanted to let the OP know that there is another version of the game more suited to the OP's playstyle.

Yeah the KR version is actually more friendly to the PvE than this one but they now have IP blocking and even VPN blocking. It's just crazy to do this and is going to end up with some serious shit storm. Funcom did a number that many people will never forget with AoC and they wonder why few plays there games anymore.

Judging by the whining abut the PvE grind you have to do for gear in the PvP forum I am betting the PKrs are going to get bored and leave in a few weeks anyway.

exactly.

PvE hate it leave

PvP hate it leave. (I may leave if it gets to empty)

dead game.

Posted (edited)

Yeah the KR version is actually more friendly to the PvE than this one but they now have IP blocking and even VPN blocking. It's just crazy to do this and is going to end up with some serious shit storm. Funcom did a number that many people will never forget with AoC and they wonder why few plays there games anymore.

Was this recent?  People were able to log in just a couple weeks ago (someone was able to log into KR to check prices for me as recently as Feb 20).  Well the OP can still try out the RU version.

Edited by Whispurr

Posted (edited)

I don't get the bdo is pve or pvp thing going on. BDO is clearly a grind game, not saying it's the grindiest like l2/ragnorak/tree of savior.

PVE is there so you can grind silver/skill/level exp, PVP is there so you can grind more efficiently and control the boss/area etc. (i.e get your group the ----- away from mine), and all the node, crafting, fishing mini-games are basically a less efficient, but an objectively more enjoyable grind to some.

edit: im not here to challenge the merits of pvping in bdo, i think it's definitely one of the highest forms of competition in a game that allows for gvg war system and pking. that is not to say pvp is the be all and end all of bdo, you can be 100% pvp free and attempt to be competitive by sabotaging other guilds a la eve. 

@OP, I don't think drawing comparisons to AA is a good way to think about bdo. The closest AA will come to bdo is when AA peaked at hasla token farm; then the xl ceo decided he wanted to make more money by trying to pander to both pve and pvp audiences, by making most of the pve and trade in-game incontestable (more instanced dungeons, more instanced level grind; library lol, no incentives to trade out of safe areas; game devolved into avoiding conflict because conflict or not gave similar returns) and having shitty pvp funnels with terrible mechanics (see halycona, sea of graves, rebirth trauma, mistmerrow, boss dominator aura so you cannot continue to contest etc.)  

Edited by July