• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Can someone please explain the swimming controls?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

How do I go up and down in the water?  I jumped in the water and my character won't swim up no matter what I do.

Posted

I've been having the same issue. I actually drowned trying to learn how to swim! xD

Posted

I have no idea what the controls are. I do know that if you jump in and immediately start to swim you have a chance of staying under water? I dunno the swimming in this game is super un-polished and clunky.

Posted

During CBT2 I just had to point camera up to make my character swim upwards, but that's the obvious action so I guess it won't work.

Not sure if swimming under water has any impact on how fast you drown. From what I experienced during CBT2 your stamina bar will go down very quickly even with your head above the water.

Posted

IDK since I'm not in game yet, But like Everything else could it be you need to learn to swim in this game, ?

Posted

Hmm maybe your character doesn't know how to swim 

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmm maybe your character doesn't know how to swim 

!!!!!! LOL.

Posted

1.  don't jump in deep water... or your screwed

2. don't try to swim too far... or your screwed

clunky swimming mechanics is an understatement... but then maybe none of us can swim!

Posted

1.  don't jump in deep water... or your screwed

2. don't try to swim too far... or your screwed

clunky swimming mechanics is an understatement... but then maybe none of us can swim!

I think so. xD During CBT2 my character would start drowning in that river you pass going from Olvia to the Camp, so that tiny river right at the start. You literally have like 10s of swimming at the start. I think swimming in this game=sprinting, but I have no idea why.

Posted

IDK since I'm not in game yet, But like Everything else could it be you need to learn to swim in this game, ?

nope, swimming controls are not in and it's clunky as ----. They haven't really expanded on that yet. Possibly they'll do something when they add more aquatic content into the game.

Posted

nope, swimming controls are not in and it's clunky as ----. They haven't really expanded on that yet. Possibly they'll do something when they add more aquatic content into the game.

Okay thanks 🙂

Posted

From what I understand, you point the camera where you want to swim, down to go under, up to go up etc etc...

swimming makes you lose stamina and if you run out, well, rip.

Posted

I think so. xD During CBT2 my character would start drowning in that river you pass going from Olvia to the Camp, so that tiny river right at the start. You literally have like 10s of swimming at the start. I think swimming in this game=sprinting, but I have no idea why.

That's because it is based off of stamina. the more you run around the higher your stamina. The higher your stamina the longer you can swim.

Posted

That's because it is based off of stamina. the more you run around the higher your stamina. The higher your stamina the longer you can swim.

Yeah, I figured it out. Hopefully one day I'll have enough stamina to actually swim up and down and not just try to get the shore as fast as possible because right after jumping into the water my char starts dying. xD

On the other hand, I'm glad I'm a swimming maniac in games and I jumped into the river between Olvia and the camp. Half an hour later I aboarded a random ship on the ----- and spent 20 minutes traveling to Iliya and back xD I knew if I jumped off I would've died in a matter of seconds, so drowning a bit in that river in Olvia at least taught me something useful lol.

Posted

I'm kind of wondering the same thing, since I wont have a boat for a while I've been swimming to nearby islands just to fish. I did notice if you start drowning to just either press "s" or stop trying to swim forward you'll stop swinging your arms around like your drowning sometimes.. Other than that just pop health potions while you get back to shore if you fall in or somethin..

Posted (edited)

How do I go up and down in the water?  I jumped in the water and my character won't swim up no matter what I do.

Now this is just off the top of my head but I do recall swimming during CBT 2 and If I recall correctly, this were the controls for swimming underwater. 

[ Spacebar ] = DIve
[ Mouse pointer ] = Where your character is facing. 
[ W ] = Forward
[ S ] = Backwards
[ A ] = Strafe left
[ D ] = Strafe right

Edited by mirg
1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe it got something to do with how much weight you are carrying?

Posted

Now this is just off the top of my head but I do recall swimming during CBT 2 and If I recall correctly, this were the controls for swimming underwater. 

[ Spacebar ] = DIve
[ Mouse pointer ] = Where your character is facing. 
[ W ] = Forward
[ S ] = Backwards
[ A ] = Strafe left
[ D ] = Strafe right

Shift  = "fast" swimming ( you will drain double the amount of stamina)
Dive up again = point cursor towards the sky (up) and swim up, then center it to the middle, to submerge the camera from the water
Stamina and RIP myth = you don't actually die immeditaley. Your stamina drains to (8 *in my case) and you will start to lose 4 HP every second. But you can drink potions ... so you can swim as long as you have potions ready.
Pulling up on rock = press space once, like you would climb a wall. Do it for too long and you will sometimes dive... You can also just try to auto climb by moving close to the rock/beach (works on flat ground)

2 people like this

Posted

More like swimming, is like if you were drunk and somehow ended up under the water.

But, since more sea content will be added, let's hope they give another look to that swimming...

Posted

Shift  = "fast" swimming ( you will drain double the amount of stamina)
Dive up again = point cursor towards the sky (up) and swim up, then center it to the middle, to submerge the camera from the water
Stamina and RIP myth = you don't actually die immeditaley. Your stamina drains to (8 *in my case) and you will start to lose 4 HP every second. But you can drink potions ... so you can swim as long as you have potions ready.
Pulling up on rock = press space once, like you would climb a wall. Do it for too long and you will sometimes dive... You can also just try to auto climb by moving close to the rock/beach (works on flat ground)

Oh, I didn't know you could drink potions while swimming! That's great! :D Now I'll be able to swim for more than 10s!

It's also terrible because that means I'll probably waste all my potions trying to swim. @-@

Posted

The swimming in this games is the worst Ive ever seen. A lot of time when I'm trying to get on something I hit W and go sideways in fact most of the time I really dont know which direction I end up with the W S A D keys. Ive gotten stuck in a croc and a whale and how many times have I gotten stuck in a bank Ive lost count. They really need to work on the swimming it like it half finished and they just never bothered to fix. I'd like to see swimming like Gw2 I use to love diving and swimming in that game.

Posted (edited)

Different scenarios for swimming

1.Jump into water , swim Incredibly Wide arc to turn around , hit boat drown

2. enter water, swim across water to opposite shore , get stuck on invisible grand canyon sized overhang .. drown

3. look at water ... drown

4. goto velia dock , view the scenery , 7569 boats load in ..... drown

5. Enter your home in Heidel ........ Furniture loads in ......Drown

6. Run towards fence , prepare for heroic leap.... sink into ground upto your waist ...drown

ok the last 2 arent swimming but what can you do

Edited by wellman029

Posted

There's a second "stamina" bar if you are underwater.
It moves VERY fast, and will kill you quickly.

Posted

Man I remember trying to run across a river on my donkey for the first (and only) time - his feet barely touched the water & he went poof, I didn't know what happened! Water = Insta-death for our horses & donkeys is just a stupid mechanic.