• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Do you think BDO will become free to play?

84 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Keep in mind that Daum coming to NA/EU requires extra money for them to get their business set up here. So it makes sense they'd be charging us to buy the game plus having a cash shop. Not advocating for it, just saying I'm sure that's why they're doing it. I don't know what will be in the cash shop, it may just be vanity items that don't bring in much moolah. Maybe they'll add stuff to the cash shop and make it F2P? What do you think? If you think it will become free, how long do you think it will take for it to happen? 

I personally dislike F2P since it usually ends up being pay to win with bots and dumb kids, so I hope it doesn't happen. However, some games tend to reach a point in their life where people are no longer willing to buy it and it's better free than dead, right? 

Meant to create a poll but forgot to add it before submitting. :C

Edited by Diskordea
1 person likes this

Posted

yes ofcourse

no

Posted

The only way they would make enough money with F2P would be P2W. That kills the game, thus no income.

Posted

Keep in mind that Daum coming to NA/EU requires extra money for them to get their business set up here. So it makes sense they'd be charging us to buy the game plus having a cash shop. Not advocating for it, just saying I'm sure that's why they're doing it. I don't know what will be in the cash shop, it may just be vanity items that don't bring in much moolah. Maybe they'll add stuff to the cash shop and make it F2P? What do you think? If you think it will become free, how long do you think it will take for it to happen? 

I personally dislike F2P since it usually ends up being pay to win with bots and dumb kids, so I hope it doesn't happen. However, some games tend to reach a point in their life where people are no longer willing to buy it and it's better free than dead, right? 

And I hope not, I really like the B2P market idea in this game.

3 people like this

Posted

RU server have F2P now, and you can buy a lot of different stuff in shop.. and it's really sucks, I don't think it's gonna live so long.. it's going down now.. alot of people leaving game :)

2 people like this

Posted

Of course it will become free , after that the only revenue will be cash shop

just like the RUS version. You cannot charge people to pay for the entrance and after that pay for cash shop. So its 50/50

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I hope not. Though many games come to mind that started with a B2P model in the last years and ended up F2P, eg Tera, GW2, ESO, Wildstar to name some.

Especially in some cases the developers of those games had strongly defended a B2P model, though abandoned it after not even 1 year.

It would be interesting to mention some of the reasons that caused those games to change their business model and see if they apply to Black Desert too.

For sure one of them could be determined in a gradual and steady decrease in players/sales.

Edited by Iriel

Posted (edited)

I hope not. Though many games come to mind that started with a B2P model in the last years and ended up F2P, eg Tera, GW2, ESO, Wildstar to name some.

Especially in some cases the developers of those games had strongly defended a B2P model, though abandoned it after not even 1 year.

It would be interesting to mention some of the reasons that caused those games to change their business model and see if they apply to Black Desert too.

For sure one of them could be determined in a gradual and steady decrease in players/sales.

I think it really takes a certain kind of game to stay B2P for a long time. Take WoW or DDO, for example. I think the best way to do it is how those games are. They make it free up to a certain point. By that point, the player has enough time to get hooked on it. They're still doing really well for a reason. Luckily, so far Daum has shown that they listen to their community and know how to manage a game. I am actually glad the Korean company is coming to NA/EU rather than pushing BDO off on some money hungry american gaming portal, (like Nexon, ugh). I think Daum will definitely look at what works and what doesn't, and prioritize keeping the game alive with happy players, rather than maximum profit. In the long run, I feel that this approach actually bnring in more money rather than developing a game, milking the crap out of it for a few years, then letting it drag along only to finally be dropped.

Edited by Diskordea

Posted

Yes BDO at some point goes free to play.

This mmo will not ever reach the milestones of themepark tripple A mmo's due to how this mmo is.

A heavy grinder with no pve contend and no gear cap with heavy rng and open world pvp.

Its a niche mmo and for that reason it will not do as well as themepark mmo's.

So if sales are worse then expected we either see pay to win appear in the cashshop to make extra revenue and become free to play.

This is how the market currently works :)  

I hope BDO will top the sale charts and sell millions and millions of copy's !

But we all know that it will be very unlikely with such heavy competition on the mmo market.

3 people like this

Posted

IMO if black desert NA/EU do things right and take into consideration what we recommended to add/remove to our version of the game (when i say we i actually mean the veteran kr players lol) so if they do more things right then wrong the player base will skyrocket and we won't need to go that way a all!!!

Make good use of those free trial passes guys!

Posted

if they only have USA west servers for sure it'll go f2p.

Since the pvp playerbase will get sick of the lag and move on to blade and soul with their texas bases servers.

Posted

IMO if black desert NA/EU do things right and take into consideration what we recommended to add/remove to our version of the game (when i say we i actually mean the veteran kr players lol) so if they do more things right then wrong the player base will skyrocket and we won't need to go that way a all!!!

Make good use of those free trial passes guys!

Your name looked familiar then I clicked your profile to get a better look at your picture. I've seen so many people from Vindictus, whether they recognize me or I recognize them. 

1 person likes this

Posted

if they only have USA west servers for sure it'll go f2p.

Since the pvp playerbase will get sick of the lag and move on to blade and soul with their texas bases servers.

Hm, Texas based servers are a really good idea. 

Posted

Your name looked familiar then I clicked your profile to get a better look at your picture. I've seen so many people from Vindictus, whether they recognize me or I recognize them. 

Yeah i remember you disk, we even had group calls on skype when we were in (ghost town) LUXT lol

Posted

Yeah i remember you disk, we even had group calls on skype when we were in (ghost town) LUXT lol

Not sure if this is a re-discovery of you on BDO, lol. I feel like I maybe said something to you about it before. Or maybe I just made a mental note of it and carried on. I'm kind of out of it at the moment. 

Posted (edited)

edit

Edited by Nyavenger
2 people like this

Posted

BDO won't go F2P. It will be buy to play all the time.

In to the cash shop they will put items like costumes, mounts, pets, skill resets etc.

No stuff that could destroy the game.

Just believe me and enjoy the game.

Posted

they already destroyed a huge mass of their player base with the stupid ip block, even op blocking countries that are politically considered part of the NA region, the niche base itself was a bit small compared to a game that considered all play types or attempted to and the ip blocking made it even worse. i had hope and hype for this game but both are gone and yes the only way i see it surviving if it keeps the ip block up would be to go f2p. but note not all f2p titles are p2w there are some that do still keep things mainly fair and only cash shop convenience and costume items.

Posted

Meh. Tera was B2P before...

Posted

Meh. Tera was B2P before...

So was WoW. Your point?

Posted

Can't wait to see which pets they will include in the cash shop :)

Posted

this game will be F2D2B2P!!
Free-To-Decide-To-Buy-To-Play

Posted

It definitely will, I give it 1 year max

Posted

The only way they would make enough money with F2P would be P2W. That kills the game, thus no income.

all hail Leader of the Eternal!

Posted

So was WoW. Your point?

WoW is P2P and its still like this.