• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

NA Server Location and How the Ping Works In Black Desert Online

252 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So ive been playing this game on kr server for awhile.

(For reliable: i hav full +18 gears, +19 weapon, all class lvl 57 and higher. i do think i have enough experience in both pvp and pve to talk about this.)

Here i want to explain how the ping works in black desert online.

The actions in this game are calculated in local which means if you press a key, there will be no delay for your character to make the move.

The dmg and attck effects are calculated on server, that means when you use a skill to hit a monster or a player, The skill effects and dmg are going to display after the lentency you are having.

LIKE ELSWORD IF YOU PLAY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The benifit of this system is it makes you feel fluid in combat even with high ping.

But NOTICE, it only makes you FEEL that way.

The bad part is with high lentency, monster or other player's attacks will be calculated before your client recives the data. (Example: when you see a monster atks you, they already made the move and the effects were calculated before you could see them.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me the worst part is pvp. The major problem is when you saw a player atked you, then you made the dodge, everything is smooth cuz your movement has no delay, but after a second, your character got pulled back and downed like a little rabbit.

Black desert is a very fast paced game which 0.1 second matters. it is not easy to react an attack and dodge, and even if you do, you got pulled back in your iframe skills because the high lentency. Trust me, it is the most uncomfortable thing you can experience in a game.

I want to explain this, Because first few days or months after launch, alot players will think they dont have a bad ping due the the local calculation.

They gonna say: well the server is fine i dont feel lag.

But really the letency is there, and after months of grinding gears and knowing the game, they gonna find out they cant compete with players with good ping.

After i know the server location is in CA, im seriously considering just grab an ign on my NA version of black desert online and keep playing on kr version, with a good vpn i can get 130-140 ping in kr version, and maybe around 100 to NA server.  The difference doesnt matter at this point because neither the 2 servers can give me a chance to be true expert in pvp. East coast players are already lost at start. 

Im a hardcore pvp player, and i dont know if i can still play a game when i clearly knoing that i dont have the future chance to be the best.

The reason why i wrote this thread is let ppl understand how ping effects actual gameplay significantly. And truely hopes if there is any chance of moving the server location or open a east server located in chicago or somewhere more centralized.

Im not saying to give everyone an equal ping. I know it is impossible. But a more fair environment is what daum can offer. San jose clearly cant.

also bump bump this thread

Edited by Mochi
15 people like this

Posted (edited)

delete me

Edited by Luciferia
2 people like this

Posted

what will you consider a good enough ping to compete ?

Posted

if its higher than about 80 i notice things can get out of sync. Not specifically talking BDO as I never play with less than 180 lol. But with other games 80 or so is about the threshold for me.

Posted

hmmm. i know Daum cant give everyone a good ping. Im just saying it is unfair with the current server location and suggesting a change to be more fair

Posted

UP 

Posted

if its higher than about 80 i notice things can get out of sync. Not specifically talking BDO as I never play with less than 180 lol. But with other games 80 or so is about the threshold for me.

Agreed, I really don't know the real reason behind placing the server in CA. Pretty dumb tbh. 

2 people like this

Posted

Please daum move the server or add another on the east coast!

Posted

Please daum move the server or add another on the east coast!

two servers would be a pain, just move it! Cut ties with the current host and move to a new datacenter. In the long run will be worth it!

Posted

Ya an west coast server is just a bad decision.   

Posted

Why are all these alt accounts making threads on ping and server location lol

Posted

thanks for the bump

1 person likes this

Posted

I understand what you guys want, but the fact you think they can suddenly change this last minute is hilariously naive. As if they don't have contracts and deals set up for quite a while already. 

Posted

I understand what you guys want, but the fact you think they can suddenly change this last minute is hilariously naive. As if they don't have contracts and deals set up for quite a while already. 

It's not naive silly boy. See some of us know how hard this is. And don't care. Because they pander everyone else but us. So we are going to push until we get a firm rejection.

What is hilarious is you had enough time to visit even though you don't care.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's not naive silly boy. See some of us know how hard this is. And don't care. Because they pander everyone else but us. So we are going to push until we get a firm rejection.

What is hilarious is you had enough time to visit even though you don't care.

You're cute. I care, but I'm realistic, its called living in the real world. Feel free to join us when you are willing.

Edited by Huntler
7 people like this

Posted

You're cute. I care, but I'm realistic, its called living in the real world. Feel free to join us when you are willing.

If you could comprehend my post you would be able to acknowledge I live in the real world. But for you it must be great thinking you are special. When you wake up the coffee will be cold but you are still welcome to join for breakfast cutie.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Doesn't mean it's not highly stupid to have servers in the West though~ There has been threads ages ago, this is new but there are ones from way before.

None of us know the contract however from seeing CBT in many games publishers typically have power to change data centers/location to get a good ping.

Edited by Scout

Posted

How exactly do you come up with alt accounts on this thread? Not everyone is on this forums 24/7 like most people. If you're against placing servers in the middle of the country then by all means ignore these threads. Last time I saw you in another server location thread was when you kept wanting to keep servers in CA because only you benefit from it. 

Posted (edited)

wait so the server is in san jose? i might as well refund ad i will probably have close too 100ping. american internet provides suck ass.

Edited by DustyMouse

Posted

Agreed, I really don't know the real reason behind placing the server in CA. Pretty dumb tbh. 

There can be multiple reasons like cost, workers location, etc. Riot did the same thing at the beginning, I dont see why other games shouldn't if it is the right move. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

As someone who lives in NZ and is dying to play this game, I feel fortunate enough to be playing the game at 160ms (what I pinged to San Jose). So to you all of you guys complaining, shut up? You are not the only country in the world that wants a good, stable connection to a game.

Edited by Akanos
4 people like this

Posted

As someone who lives in NZ and is dying to place this game, I feel fortunate enough to be playing the game at 160ms (what I pinged to San Jose). So to you all of you guys complaining, shut up? You are not the only country in the world that wants a good, stable connection to a game.

Meanwhile I only ping 75-80 from the east coast...people really do need to be grateful that we can even play a localized version.

Be that as it may, I do think a better placement could have been used. If you're going to provide service for an entire region, you're better off centering yourself than parking on one side of it.

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile I only ping 75-80 from the east coast...people really do need to be grateful that we can even play a localized version.

Be that as it may, I do think a better placement could have been used. If you're going to provide service for an entire region, you're better off centering yourself than parking on one side of it.

if you dont understand this, 80 ping means 0.08 second, and 0.16 second in responding.

which means when your opponent make the move, it takes 0.16 second for you to see it, Avg reaction speed of a human is 0.15 second, and another 0.08 for server to receive your input. thats 0.16+0.08+0.15=0.39 sec.

(assuming you have god speed hands but i would add another 0.1 sec in between).

with 30ping you get 0.06+0.15+0.03 = 0.24.

you may think 0.15 second doesnt matter, but think of it is just one encounter, and you have to deal with this the whole fight.

black desert is a very fast paced action game, most of its control skils' animation dont even last 0.5 sec.

now do you see the the how the ping effects?

Edited by Mochi
1 person likes this

Posted

That wasn't the point I was making. You had a west coast kid running a higher ping than me, that was the point. While being closer should afford a better ping, that isn't always the case. Furthermore, I even agreed that the server should be in a central location for its region.

I honestly don't know what you are arguing against as I agreed.

Posted (edited)

I suggest you look up PING and what really means. Here's a few tips, ping is a low priority protocol, it is the time it takes a 32byte packet to goto the server your 'pinging' and its response. I don't have the DBO client so I don't know if it uses TCP or UDP etc.

Considering this is a PvP game, network latency will matter, it's just how much.

Edited by Ragnar Lodbrok