• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Lieto' pre-Mediah guide on Ranger

347 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

You have to understand that the high DP "tanky" classes are tanky because of abilities, not because of the DP

While certain abilities do make some classes more tanky having 260 armour in a boss set certainly makes my archer more tanky thank say a giant in a grunil with 220 armour. If you throw same amount of sht at us you will see my character taking virtually no damage, so you shouldn't underestimate armour, evasion and resistances of any sort. Those work equally good on all classes and dead characters don't do damage.

And ye, your argument about stamina is a bit funny because same argument can be made about hp — when you start spamming hp pots it almost doesn't matter what your base hp was. Right? Except for it does matter what is your maximum hp and your maximum stamina. In fact stamina is your active defence while armour and hp are your passive defences. F-strafe uses 0 mana and can be used to reliably get away / reposition. If you consider yourself skilled player you should value active defence more.

Edited by li3to

Posted (edited)

The only knowledge that I lack (and, unless proven otherwise, everyone else lacks as well) is how much DP reduces incoming damage: once I have enough time to do some tests I will try to determine this by accurate tests with some guildies of mine. Until then, I still stand by my position: having 5% more DP or 6% more HP is, defensively-speaking, basically the same.

EDIT: it is also entirely possible that the damage reduction from DP is capped, or the stat iteself having diminishing returns after a certain amount.

The thing is, we don't know if it's flat mitigation, or % mitigation, and even if there's diminishing returns the higher your DP gets. So 5% DP could very well be less effective than HP as HP has no diminishing returns. So again, it really comes down to preference and I prefer higher dmg scaling and higher hp over a very minor dp increase 200 stamina and 15% knockdown resist that really doesn't do much for us as most of the classes we struggle with are stun/stifle or grab.

While certain abilities do make some classes more tanky having 260 armour in a boss set certainly makes my archer more tanky thank say a giant in a grunil with 220 armour. If you throw same amount of sht at us you will see my character taking virtually no damage, so you shouldn't underestimate armour, evasion and resistances of any sort. Those work equally good on all classes and dead characters don't do damage.

And ye, your argument about stamina is a bit funny because same argument can be made about hp — when you start spamming hp pots it almost doesn't matter what your base hp was. Right? Except for it does matter what is your maximum hp and your maximum stamina. In fact stamina is your active defence while armour and hp are your passive defences. F-strafe uses 0 mana and can be used to reliably get away / reposition. If you consider yourself skilled player you should value active defence more.

I'm not understand how talking about boss armor and grunil is at all relevant to a conversation about zereth and heve as each of those sets have much higher scaling, and zereth and heve are in the same "tier" as boss and grunil are not. You're also talking about out gearing someone by 20% higher dp, and not the very minimal 5%. Classic example of a straw man argument. Also the difference is if I have survive with 100 hp left after CC burst chains, and able to pop a pot and get away to kite and get more hp back through popping pots, I'm alive while you with 100hp less didn't survive.

Edited by Shanst Takeda

Posted (edited)

My point is that you are trying to devalue key ranger stats saying it's "personal preference". I am sorry, but it's not. 

Any ranger needs DP, CC resistance, all attack resistance and stamina and the amount of those stats you get with 2+2 heavily outweight 100 hp. Wether you think it doesn't work or not needed or not useful for you personally is rather irrelevant. You can wear whatever you want but it's not "personal preference", it's poor understanding of your class and in-game mechanics. Even if you are really bad and don't know how to use more stamina to your advantage or don't use the stamina at all i'd say the amount of EHP (including knockdown resistance) you get from Zareth outweighs 100 hp.

Edited by li3to

Posted (edited)

With the same gear without ultimate with a heve helmet vs zereth helmet at the same pluses, another ranger has 2 more dp than I do. 2 more dp means nothing. Even with ultimate you're looking at a total of 5 dp, which means nothing. Also, there's a ranger that streams by the name of Koyo and is pretty damn skilled and prefers 4 piece heve and has zero problem with stamina management. Again you're mistaking good players, vs players needing a crutch. Do I agree if you're bad and need a crutch because you can't manage your stamina well, then yes go Zereth. For others of us that rely on our mechanics, I prefer the extra hp and damage scaling. End thread.

Edited by Shanst Takeda

Posted

The secret shop is in the game, just doesn't offer the option yet. Can find the one in Heidel near southern stable and Keplan. Velia shack is empty.

Make screenshoot. That would be helpfull

Posted (edited)

Also, there's a ranger that streams by the name of Koyo and is pretty damn skilled and prefers 4 piece heve and has zero problem with stamina management... Do I agree if you're bad and need a crutch because you can't manage your stamina well, then yes go Zereth.

Few comments:

1. 5dp + 2 damage resistance +15% knockdown resistance increases your survivability comparable to if not more than 100hp.

2. Being great at managing your stamina doesn't change the fact that having more stamina let's you do more things in a fight. Not all your fights are going to be 1v1. You can drink mana pots but there are no stamina pots so having as much stamina as possible is crucial.

3. I am pretty sure EU/NA got great players, but personally i am playing this game for over a year, being in the top1 hardcore pvp guild on RU and probably among top 3 rangers there, Am i impressed by the guy with full heve? No.

Edited by li3to

Posted (edited)

Few comments:

1. 5dp + 2 damage resistance +15% knockdown resistance increases your survivability more than 100hp.

2. Being great at managing your stamina doesn't change the fact that having more stamina let's you do more things in a fight. Not all your fights are going to be 1v1. You can drink mana pots but there are no stamina pots so having as much stamina as possible is crucial.

3. I am pretty sure EU/NA got great players, but personally i am playing this game for over a year, being in the top1 hardcore pvp guild on RU and probably among top 3 rangers there, Am i impressed by the guy with full heve? No.

I agree with Li3to, Ranger is kite class meaning stamina and resists are key for ranger to keep alive.

Zereth Helm and Zereth Boots, having the extra 400 stamina means I can dodge 8-9 times rather then 5-6 times and capping a resist on knockdown/bound is vital for ranger survival, I wouldn't mind having Stun also Capped at 60% Wizards are becoming a pain at range with there CC. But I'm yet to figure way out to get stun resist while keeping my knockdown resist capped.

EDIT* I was running 4x Heve with Steel Dagger, I now run 2x Zereth and 2x Heve with Bronze Dagger. I won't be using Steel Dagger until I get boss gloves. 

Edited by Saizo Sol

Posted

What's a good place to grind between 50 to 55? I was under the impression that most of the lvlng guides out there have locations that aren't in our game yet. So are we suppose to grind catfish or the shrine till our eyes bleed?

Posted

What's a good place to grind between 50 to 55? I was under the impression that most of the lvlng guides out there have locations that aren't in our game yet. So are we suppose to grind catfish or the shrine till our eyes bleed?

I would actually argument that you simply are not supposed to be 55 with our content right now :P
obviously you CAN be if you reeaaallly want to, as others have proven already. But their eyes did bleed most certainly ^.^

Posted

Catfish is the best spot in terms of getting experience so i'd say stay on catfish till 53. 53 should get you to within 2-3% of server population in terms of level so you might choose to stop there and go farm tree spirit for money. Money would probably help you more than level will at that point.

2 people like this

Posted

Thoughts on Grunil?

Posted

Fully upgraded grunil is somewhat better than 2+2 but i wouldn't bother if you have resources to go for boss set. Sleeping on bed and trying night trader should get you most of the pieces within 2-3 weeks, expect to spend around half of a billion though.

Posted

@li3to too bad the night trader doesn't work on our release

was wondering what you think is the best evasive shot awakening, attack speed / mp per hit?

Posted (edited)

@li3to too bad the night trader doesn't work on our release

was wondering what you think is the best evasive shot awakening, attack speed / mp per hit?

It's only 4 MP return, which is pretty insignificant.  Also, you already have spirit healing, and you can even get an MP return gem if you are having serious MP issues.  Attack speed on the other had is 10% for five seconds, which allows you to combo faster when coming out of EES.  IAS gets my vote.

Edited by vecte

Posted

hello, im new to ranger, and I was wondering how I should be attacking/comboing pre explosive evasion shot?

Posted

Is there a reason why you keep Evasive Explosive Shot at rank 1 instead of maxing it to rank 3?

I noticed that Rank 1 offers 119 damage and Ranked 3 offers 83% x 3 hits. Why?

Posted

Is there a reason why you keep Evasive Explosive Shot at rank 1 instead of maxing it to rank 3?

I noticed that Rank 1 offers 119 damage and Ranked 3 offers 83% x 3 hits. Why?

The arrow volley scales with bow mastery, not the skill itself, so the damage boost from the rank 3 EES is trash damage for 2x the mana

Posted

What should I be getting on my upgrades for armors / offhand (thinking down dmg +1)

Posted

The arrow volley scales with bow mastery, not the skill itself, so the damage boost from the rank 3 EES is trash damage for 2x the mana

Looks like I f ucked up..

Posted

Looks like I f ucked up..

Not really. Rank 3 knocks down mobs around you. Not useful in pvp but it is in pve.

Posted

Not really. Rank 3 knocks down mobs around you. Not useful in pvp but it is in pve.

That also happens at level1. At level 3, the AoE is slightly bigger so you're able to hit (and, potentially, knockdown) more mobs around you though.

Posted

Skills awakening:

5% of hp damage on will of win, 10% slow on blasting gust, everything else i d go attack speed or slow (up to you), having crit or +attack isn't the end of the world as well. Same goes for minus enemy attack speed (it's nice to have it on something). To change skill awakening you will need a thing that looks like yellow cookie and should be called "memory fragment" and drops from relic bosses spheres. Basically you use it to get an extra roll. Potentially you might spend a lot of those before you get perfect awakenings. It's might not be your first priority but make sure you do at some point past level 51 or so.

Just to clarify - by "10% slow", do you mean:

10% snare/movementspeed

or

10% reduced atk/cast speed? 

Posted

@li3tocould you explain why you say Ranger is the worst 1v1 class? I'm honestly really curious about it.

I always wanted to play Blader, but unfortunately it was not available at launch so I chose Ranger as my main for now. I'm really liking the Ranger playstyle, but feels weird to hear that kind of affirmation from a dedicated ranger main like you are

1 person likes this

Posted

I doubt he said worst. That title goes to tamer

Posted

He said it on reddit around 2 months ago, he knows he did, don't think I need to prove the source.