• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

A look at graphics settings and their performance impact

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Decided to do a big comparison of a lot of the graphics settings to see what the effect of some of them are, and how big of an impact they have on framerate. This was done at 2560x1440 with this rig: i7-4790k, GTX 980, 16gb ram.

Optimization mode (144fps) - Kinda looks like an early 2000's game (capped at 144fps because of my monitor's refresh rate).
Very low (136fps) - Actually looks like a modern game.
Low (132fps) - Better shadows and foilage in the distance.
Medium (100fps) - Thicker foilage at close distance, better shadows at a distance, and more objects rendered further away.
Slightly high (82fps) - Tesselated terrain and better foilage shadows?
High (69fps) - Better LOD and SSAO gets toggled on.
Very high (68fps) - Even better LOD.
High end mode (43fps) - Much better LOD.

No anti-aliasing (43fps)
Anti-aliasing (43fps) - FXAA post processing.

No SSAO (50fps)
SSAO (43fps)

No improve distance (43fps)
Improve distance (39fps) - Improves mountains in the distance (tesselation?), but currently has a bug which sometimes causes gaps.

No filter (43fps)
Vibrance filter (43fps) - This filter is on by default.

No upscale (43fps)
Upscale (63fps) - Not sure which resolution it upscales from, but it has a surprisingly low performance gain.

No crop (43fps)
Crop (110fps)

No screen filter (39fps)
Screen filter (39fps) - Blurs everything at a certain distance.

2560x1440 (43fps)
1920x1080 (67fps)
1280x720 (110fps)

Some thoughts: I personally think the game looks more natural without the filter, so I suggest people try that and see what they prefer. I also personally prefer both "depth of field" and "screen filter" off to remove blur. High end mode is only really realistic if you have an extremely beefy rig or you're taking screenshots. You get more LOD pop-in if you use a lower setting, but the performance hit is huge with high-end mode. If you're not bothered by screen tearing, you should force v-sync off in graphics drivers to get a big performance boost (unless you have a g-sync or freesync monitor).

Some areas have awful framerate no matter what. For instance, Calpheon will drastically reduce the framerate, and there's this weird spot southeast of Hidel which destroys the framerate if you look towards Hidel (getting closer to Hidel from that spot improves the framerate, oddly enough).

Unfortunately, the game applies a sharpening filter which is always on. It looks passable if you have AA on, but I really wish you could turn it off.

Edited by FluffyQuack
Re-organized
37 people like this

Posted

I'm glad to see something like this posted. I've been very curious about differences in graphics settings in terms of performance for this game, and what kind of effect they have on framerate. Fortunately I just decided to upgrade from a GTX 970 to a 980Ti, so I'll hopefully get to experience a boost in fps for higher quality at 1440p in a couple of days. It's hard to play this game and NOT want to go crazy upgrading various components of your PC. O_O

Also for the record, I agree on the sharpening filter. It'd be nice to have the option to disable that. I think it was in an early Korean CBT that it wasn't forced on? And I very much preferred the way that looked.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm glad to see something like this posted. I've been very curious about differences in graphics settings in terms of performance for this game, and what kind of effect they have on framerate. Fortunately I just decided to upgrade from a GTX 970 to a 980Ti, so I'll hopefully get to experience a boost in fps for higher quality at 1440p in a couple of days. It's hard to play this game and NOT want to go crazy upgrading various components of your PC. O_O

Also for the record, I agree on the sharpening filter. It'd be nice to have the option to disable that. I think it was in an early Korean CBT that it wasn't forced on? And I very much preferred the way that looked.

Yeah, I ended up upgrading my pc becuase of this game. Got frustrated with the weird spots like FlaffyQuack mentioned. Even in optimization mode my old pc was dropped to 20 fps from 60 looking at these spots. What makes it weirder is that it was only from a certain perspective. If I looked at the spot from the side 60 fps. Look at it straight ahead 20 fps.

I don't understand what causes that as it was just some barrels.

Posted

They really need to add individual settings for the different graphics variables instead of just throwing them at us in preset bundles. I would like to tailor the graphics to my own desire and performance needs.

Posted

Agreed on the sharpening filter too - I can see this on the text and it makes it harder to read.

Posted

I've noticed strange thing yesterday,

HIghend mode ON : outside Cites 43fps, in cities 30fps.

Highend mode OFF : outside cities 60fps ( vsync on so maybe more ) but again in cities 30fps

Is there some kind of limit on fps in Cities?

Posted (edited)

I am very surprised how smooth this game runs. I have i5-3570 and GTX 680. With high settings, high end mode and improved distance turned on (because LOD pop-in is terrible) it runs smoothly at 30+ fps on this 4 year old rig. I even wonder if it's really 30 fps because it feels more like 50, I have 0 input lag or noticeable fps drops, other games are unplayable with 30 fps. It might be different with lots of fighting players around though.

I just think SSAO and improved distance are too important. Game looks so much worse without them.

Edited by Sumpf

Posted

Highend mode OFF : outside cities 60fps ( vsync on so maybe more ) but again in cities 30fps

Most likely it's your processor bottlenecking you in cities, so easing the load on your GPU won't change a thing. Not sure tho.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's because in Cities there are a lot of People + the server has to connect you and the people = Fps drops, I remember when I played Runescape with a 4870 1GB ( 2006 ) I still had drops @ Varrock and such even though Rs isn't graphics intensive. Hope that answers your question.

( Could be your processor, it renders things that are yet to be seen )

Edited by May_Hajim

Posted

Thanks for this!

Posted

Most likely it's your processor bottlenecking you in cities, so easing the load on your GPU won't change a thing. Not sure tho.

It's because in Cities there are a lot of People + the server has to connect you and the people = Fps drops, I remember when I played Runescape with a 4870 1GB ( 2006 ) I still had drops @ Varrock and such even though Rs isn't graphics intensive. Hope that answers your question.

( Could be your processor, it renders things that are yet to be seen )

Hm... i have 3770k@4.5 and CPU use doesn't go over 30% on any core...My GPU 980Ti :(.

I was just curios, i'm playing with HighEnd mode OFF as i dont see much improvements to giveaway 60fps feel. 

Posted (edited)

Decided to do a big comparison of a lot of the graphics settings to see what the effect of some of them are, and how big of an impact they have on framerate. This was done at 2560x1440 with this rig: i7-4790k, GTX 980, 16gb ram.

Optimization mode (144fps) - Kinda looks like an early 2000's game (capped at 144fps because of my monitor's refresh rate).
Very low (136fps) - Actually looks like a modern game.
Low (132fps) - Better shadows and foilage in the distance.
Medium (100fps) - Thicker foilage at close distance, better shadows at a distance, and more objects rendered further away.
Slightly high (82fps) - Tesselated terrain and better foilage shadows?
High (69fps) - Better LOD and SSAO gets toggled on.
Very high (68fps) - Even better LOD.
High end mode (43fps) - Much better LOD.

No anti-aliasing (43fps)
Anti-aliasing (43fps) - FXAA post processing.

No SSAO (50fps)
SSAO (43fps)

No improve distance (43fps)
Improve distance (39fps) - Improves mountains in the distance (tesselation?), but currently has a bug which sometimes causes gaps.

No filter (43fps)
Vibrance filter (43fps) - This filter is on by default.

No upscale (43fps)
Upscale (63fps) - Not sure which resolution it upscales from, but it has a surprisingly low performance gain.

No crop (43fps)
Crop (110fps)

No screen filter (39fps)
Screen filter (39fps) - Blurs everything at a certain distance.

2560x1440 (43fps)
1920x1080 (67fps)
1280x720 (110fps)

Some thoughts: I personally think the game looks more natural without the filter, so I suggest people try that and see what they prefer. I also personally prefer both "depth of field" and "screen filter" off to remove blur. High end mode is only really realistic if you have an extremely beefy rig or you're taking screenshots. You get more LOD pop-in if you use a lower setting, but the performance hit is huge with high-end mode. If you're not bothered by screen tearing, you should force v-sync off in graphics drivers to get a big performance boost (unless you have a g-sync or freesync monitor).

Some areas have awful framerate no matter what. For instance, Calpheon will drastically reduce the framerate, and there's this weird spot southeast of Hidel which destroys the framerate if you look towards Hidel (getting closer to Hidel from that spot improves the framerate, oddly enough).

Unfortunately, the game applies a sharpening filter which is always on. It looks passable if you have AA on, but I really wish you could turn it off.

Nice rig :)

Edited by JerzeyDevil

Posted (edited)

I've been getting the same thing. Also I cant even get to 60fps, usually stops somewhere in the low 50s. But I usually play in borderless.

Processor:  
AMD FX 8350 8-Core, 4GHz 

RAM:
24 Gigs

Video:
GTX 980ti 

Edited by IMythicals

Posted

cpu is shit thats why bud go intel or go home when it comes to cpu's really it's like night and day using an i7 over my old amd fx so much better lol.

Posted

cpu is shit thats why bud go intel or go home when it comes to cpu's really it's like night and day using an i7 over my old amd fx so much better lol.

Can you explain to me the differences between Intel and amd then? Because most places I go say the cpu is fine.

Posted (edited)

Can you explain to me the differences between Intel and amd then? Because most places I go say the cpu is fine.

In my personal opinion (have the very same CPU as you), Intel is the first to come out with the new "best", as always. But soon after, AMD comes out with their new "best" where they have had time to redo anything with their CPU that Intel could have screwed up. So in short, Intel may be the best at the time of, but AMD releases a better quality cpu, and more reliable imho, than Intel, and for a part of the price. AMD is great for those like us who don't have the $$$$ to blow on the extremely expensive Intel high end CPUs, and still get great performance. Compare this stuff to Apple (New, Buggy, Expensive) to Android (Late to party, but better overall OS, cheaper)

Edited by Sleiyer

Posted (edited)

The game isn't utilizing my i7 5930k very well, even when running with only four cores and disabling multithreading the game hardly uses over 20% cpu - most of the time it sits around 15%.

Edited by Drexciya

Posted

bullshit its not the cpu.

i also use an AMD FX-8350@4ghz and a AMD R9 Nano on 3440x1440 resolution and im able to get to over 60fps in not crowded areas on Very High settings (no ultra high end mode cuz if i turn it on it cuts my fps in half and thats a no for this small improvement it gives)

now think again im on 3440x1440 (21:9 aspect ratio) this is comparable with 4k in terms of used resources.

Posted

Why do you say to not disable Vsync if you have Freesync or G-Sync? I thought the whole point to adaptive sync was to have no tearing without the latency of Vsync, and that Vsync is redundant as long as your performance is within your Freesync or G-Sync frequencies?

Posted (edited)

In my personal opinion (have the very same CPU as you), Intel is the first to come out with the new "best", as always. But soon after, AMD comes out with their new "best" where they have had time to redo anything with their CPU that Intel could have screwed up. So in short, Intel may be the best at the time of, but AMD releases a better quality cpu, and more reliable imho, than Intel, and for a part of the price. AMD is great for those like us who don't have the $$$$ to blow on the extremely expensive Intel high end CPUs, and still get great performance. Compare this stuff to Apple (New, Buggy, Expensive) to Android (Late to party, but better overall OS, cheaper)

lol this is NOT true amd cpu's havent performed on par with intel for years they are always behind. their GPU's are alright tho

Edited by Khazard

Posted

I am very surprised how smooth this game runs. I have i5-3570 and GTX 680. With high settings, high end mode and improved distance turned on (because LOD pop-in is terrible) it runs smoothly at 30+ fps on this 4 year old rig. I even wonder if it's really 30 fps because it feels more like 50, I have 0 input lag or noticeable fps drops, other games are unplayable with 30 fps. It might be different with lots of fighting players around though.

I just think SSAO and improved distance are too important. Game looks so much worse without them.

the problem you get similar fps and performance with better rig's also.

Posted (edited)

I've been getting the same thing. Also I cant even get to 60fps, usually stops somewhere in the low 50s. But I usually play in borderless.

Processor:  
AMD FX 8350 8-Core, 4GHz 

RAM:
24 Gigs

Video:
GTX 980ti 

I want to address the AMD-Intel flamewar before it gets out of hand. Although an i5 outperforms an FX 8350, at a similar or higher price than the equivilent i5 especially when you take into account the need for a third-party cooler on the AMD chip, eight-core FX 8350 AMD CPUs perform good enough that this CPU should be adequate for most games. I don't recommend it, because AMD isn't competitive price-performance at the midrange, but it's a decent enough chip.

This is not the case, however, for less than eight-core AMD processors on some AAA games. (AMD cores are weaker than Intel's, hence the need for higher clocks and more cores, they also have lower IPC and an older architecture that AMD has rebranded multiple years. That having been said, AMD is making a new architecture, Zen, this year, which will probably catch up to Intel's IPC to some extent, and change the competitiveness equation hopefully.)

AMD's GPUs are of course fine, and actually benchmark better at most price points than nvidia, except for the 980ti vs. Fury X. For reference, I have a Haswell i5, and an r9 290 with a non-reference cooler. :) I paid $269, before a $30 rebate, for the r9 290; and it performs like an r9 390 or GTX 970, though this is a special deal that happened when stores still had lots of stock of old r9 290's.

P.S. this game has Vsync at 50fps, I have no idea why the developers decided on 50fps, but that's the real explaination behind your lack of performance beyond 50fps. Game's capped usually.

Edited by Ed Lin
50fps explanation.

Posted

It would be interesting to see some screenshots when it is raining / when everything is wet. And water in general. Great work tho.

Posted

I have an i7 16gb ram with 980Ti and get around 60 FPS outside of town with settings on max.

Posted

I have an i7 16gb ram with 980Ti and get around 60 FPS outside of town with settings on max.

Did you disable Vsync? If not, you're getting around 50 really. Though who cares, as long as it looks like 60fps... :)