• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Naming System

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I just wanna vent because I'm mad. But BDO has the single worst naming system in MMO history. I've been stuck here for hours trying to name one single character but everything's taken. And you know why? Because of the family name system. In a traditional MMO if I wanted to be named John and it was taken, I could just go John_Smith and look perfectly adequate. But in BDO It'd be John_Smith Smith which is stupid. So they mandate we have a family name yet then don't include the family name in determining uniqueness. If my family name is Smith, why the hell can't I name my character John? Who cares if there's a thousand other John's,. I'd be the only 'John Smith' since my family name is unique. I honestly do not understand why they don't include the family name. By mandating we have one and yet not use it they make naming EXCEPTIONALLY restrictive. Because with their system you're restricted to only using first names and those dry up real damn quick. It's the second day of launch and I'm already spending hours trying to get a name for my character, how the hell will it be a year from now?

The day MMO devs realize that unique character names are absolutely garbage is the day I will be one happy camper. Well, with my rant out of the way back to spending a few more hours trying to find a name.

2 people like this

Posted

Rant aside, that is a fairly good point. As long as family names remain unique, and the same name isn't used within a family twice, I don't see why we couldn't have multiple people with the same first name..

1 person likes this

Posted

Make the communications in game utilize family names and voila, done.  Send a message to "Soulthief" on Orwen and I'd get it regardless of character being played.

Posted

Champions Online (and actually, I believe all of Cryptic's games) work sort of like this, only replace "family name" with "account handle."  You can befriend / block an entire account at once, and you don't need to be worried if there's fifteen different people named "Bob" running around, because the character is stored on the server (and referenced and whatnot) as:

Bob Smith

Bob Dole

Bob Jones

Bob Boberson

Bob Icantthinkofalastname

Bob Fromhydra

Bob Etcetera

That said, I think that'd likely be something they'd have to do at a design level, but I could be wrong.  Guilds apparently work like this - Character A from Family X joins a guild, and every single character on Family X's account is in that guild.  If they could somehow get it so it wouldn't break anything, but use family names as opposed to character names... it'd at least fix that issue.

Posted

I don't believe they'd ever actually change it. I can't think of a single MMO changing their naming system post launch, which is why I made it a rant rather than a suggestion. But damn is it a missed opportunity. It really begs the question what family names are even used for, since sharing between characters can (and has) be done without something like a family name. It feels like they were going to do it properly but then dropped the ball near completion.

Posted

I don't believe they'd ever actually change it. I can't think of a single MMO changing their naming system post launch, which is why I made it a rant rather than a suggestion. But damn is it a missed opportunity. It really begs the question what family names are even used for, since sharing between characters can (and has) be done without something like a family name. It feels like they were going to do it properly but then dropped the ball near completion.

Yeah, it's why I think it's a "design phase" thing - I've seen the same thing.  And I think it might be the opposite of what you said - they weren't planning on having a "family name" system until they got closer to release of the original version and said "Oh crap, we need a way to keep spies out of guilds!  Quick, do a family name thing!"  Again, just an assumption on my part, given how much is tied to character name and how (relatively) little is tied to family name / account name.

Posted

I just wanna vent because I'm mad. But BDO has the single worst naming system in MMO history. I've been stuck here for hours trying to name one single character but everything's taken. And you know why? Because of the family name system. In a traditional MMO if I wanted to be named John and it was taken, I could just go John_Smith and look perfectly adequate. But in BDO It'd be John_Smith Smith which is stupid. So they mandate we have a family name yet then don't include the family name in determining uniqueness. If my family name is Smith, why the hell can't I name my character John? Who cares if there's a thousand other John's,. I'd be the only 'John Smith' since my family name is unique. I honestly do not understand why they don't include the family name. By mandating we have one and yet not use it they make naming EXCEPTIONALLY restrictive. Because with their system you're restricted to only using first names and those dry up real damn quick. It's the second day of launch and I'm already spending hours trying to get a name for my character, how the hell will it be a year from now?

The day MMO devs realize that unique character names are absolutely garbage is the day I will be one happy camper. Well, with my rant out of the way back to spending a few more hours trying to find a name.

Also feeling the name creation pain here. I think it may even be worse than it first appears. I was surprised to find that I can connect to any server with my existing characters. This implies that character names probably have to be unique across the entire region, not just the server where they are created. 

Posted

Also feeling the name creation pain here. I think it may even be worse than it first appears. I was surprised to find that I can connect to any server with my existing characters. This implies that character names probably have to be unique across the entire region, not just the server where they are created. 

Wow, if that's true this game's gonna have a REAL rough time in a couple months when literally every passable name is taken. What a shoddy system.

Posted

I have to say, the BDO naming "system" is a great idea with the worst possible implementation.  I think having account-wide "family" names are a GREAT way to free up the more common first names, but NO, they do not want to do that, they want two (2) unique names, with one of them being the same unique name on one account.

Was there no one in the room proclaim, "what the -----, Dan?!  That's a stupid ass idea!"  I mean, it's not like one could not foresee the problems with this.  The family name (a la account name in cryptic games) is an excellent idea.  Combining it with the typical unique name for a first name completely negates the cool factor and obliterates it as a good idea.  Mostly.

Yeah, spending 1-2 hours a few days into the launch just trying to defeat the naming boss at character creation is a real bummer.  I feel your pain.  BDO is going to have one of the most obnoxiously named populations within a year or so, when all creative possibilities are used up.  And all those poor ranger classes who cannot use xXxLegolasxXx because no 3-same-letters-in-a-row rule.  Guess it's going to be Xxlegolasxx for that one tragically unoriginal dude on each server.

Posted

Not our fault your name is John and your last name is Smith. Two of the most generic names.

Posted

Not our fault your name is John and your last name is Smith. Two of the most generic names.

Someone clearly missed the entire point.

Posted

Someone clearly missed the entire point.

someone clearly didn't sense my satire.

Posted

someone clearly didn't sense my satire.

If you expect someone to know that you're joking from that type of post, you're clearly new to the internet. But a word of advice, you can't hear tone or intent through words, so satire is lost unless you make it obvious.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0