• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Flying Mounts

107 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's a big open world out there, and when a horse just won't cut it, we're gonna need to bring out the Griffon's.

On a serious note, what do you guys think of this? The game does not have any traditional mmo fast traveling methods such as waypoints, and so it provides us with mounts to get around. Horses and other land mounts also serve the purpose of carrying goods for trade. The way I see it, adding flying mounts wouldn't hurt the usefulness and functions of land mounts, as they are necessary in different ways. It could be made so that flying mounts serve only to travel faster than land mounts, but cannot make deliveries, nor carry any trading goods; it is simply a means of faster travel.

EDIT:
I can see most are opposed to flying mounts and I respect their opinions on the matter, however I do believe I've made some strong and agreeable points with regards to making traveling more efficient while leaving land mounts just as purposeful as they are now. Several points have been discussed in the following replies and I'd like it if these were taken into consideration, no matter what side of the fence you're on. 

Edited by Exayn
spelling
3 people like this

Posted

For me, that's a no. One of the appeals for me was that it didn't have any of the stuff like flying mounts in it.

12 people like this

Posted

the day they add flying mounts is the day i uninstall BDO

16 people like this

Posted

the day they add flying mounts is the day i uninstall BDO

That's a very critical response toward a rather tame topic of discussion. Care to elaborate why you feel so strongly against the idea?

For me, that's a no. One of the appeals for me was that it didn't have any of the stuff like flying mounts in it.

That's understandable. However, do you feel the implementation of flying mounts for those that want it would hurt your personal user experience? if so, how and why?

Posted

That's a very critical response toward a rather tame topic of discussion. Care to elaborate why you feel so strongly against the idea?

That's understandable. However, do you feel the implementation of flying mounts for those that want it would hurt your personal user experience? if so, how and why?

For me, I just don't feel like they belong. They would look too out of place, and they took a lot of care making sure everything fit into the world they created.

2 people like this

Posted

I agree I would not play this if they add flying mounts. They have an entire system built around exploring the land, having a mount that can freely fly over it all would drastically ruin that whole experience of the game that is actually very very rewarding. Regardless of how big the world map is and how big it can get, there are other ways they can increase travel speed then just flying mounts. There is a very rewarding exploration type thing going on, lets not ruin it by being able to fly everywhere.

5 people like this

Posted

For me, I just don't feel like they belong. They would look too out of place, and they took a lot of care making sure everything fit into the world they created.

That's true, everything does work hand in hand to make for a very believable world. I just know for a fact that dragons do exist in the lore and taming is a game feature, perhaps that'd work?

I agree I would not play this if they add flying mounts. They have an entire system built around exploring the land, having a mount that can freely fly over it all would drastically ruin that whole experience of the game that is actually very very rewarding. Regardless of how big the world map is and how big it can get, there are other ways they can increase travel speed then just flying mounts. There is a very rewarding exploration type thing going on, lets not ruin it by being able to fly everywhere.

I agree, the exploration in this game provides some of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had in gaming, paralleling only single player RPG's such as The Witcher 3 and Skyrim. It is open world adventuring done right, in ways that many mmos have tried and failed to make interesting. I do feel like land mounts still serve as the perfect choice to go about exploring this incredibly rich and dense world that is most definitely worth turning over every rock in. That being said, flying mounts would simply be for those in the "late game" stages, if you will, who're simply looking to get across, say, the continent in a shorter time frame.

Posted

flying mounts remove a lot of important mmorpg-aspects, making the game less of an mmorpg. such as exploration and struggling in the wild.

every mmorpg that has flying mount is utterly sht.

and there not even is a need since leveled T7+ mounts are ridiculously fast, much faster than you would imagine a flying mount to be

2 people like this

Posted

It seems like every time a new MMO comes out, this is one of the first things people request.

Personally I do not believe flying mounts fit with this world. Granted there ARE dragons in this world, but I have yet to see any rideable. Additionally there really are not any animals that I could even see them using as mounts... unless you count harpies. (shudder).

So yeah, no, I highly doubt this will become a thing. I would be incredibly shocked if they did.

Aside from which ,the game is coded to have poor texturing on very distant objects, do you really want to see a low poly world below you? Maybe if this was a flight simulator, that might... well... fly. But not for a game like this. If I am wrong years from now,  i will happily eat my words, but I do not see it happening.

1 person likes this

Posted

I will oppose to everyone and I will say that flying mounts could work. But they would have to either create a layer of aerial exploration and survival which could really break the game if not done correctly, or make them extremely limited. For example make it so flying can only be done for very short distances at huge costs which would negate the point. 

1 person likes this

Posted

flying mounts remove a lot of important mmorpg-aspects, making the game less of an mmorpg. such as exploration and struggling in the wild.

every mmorpg that has flying mount is utterly sht.

and there not even is a need since leveled T7+ mounts are ridiculously fast, much faster than you would imagine a flying mount to be

I was not aware of a T7 mount, that's an interesting thing to note. As for your other points, do you disagree with how I suggested that land mounts would still server their purpose and how the integrity of world exploration would still be in tact, making land mounts the obvious choice to go about doing so? 

I dont think flying mounts in other mmos is what makes them sh*t. The difference between Black Desert and other mmos really comes down to the actual value of world exploration in itself. No mmo as of yet has made world exploration quite as rich and rewarding as Black Desert has, making this game fundamentally different and in a league of its own. I've never wanted to explore an mmo world as I've wanted to explore RPG masterpieces such as the Elder Scrolls series. As such, world exploration is very much worthwhile and players interested in discovering its depth will know better to use the land mounts than to fly over it. On the other hand, most m
mo's with open world regions simply have large space to fill mobs with, and not much else worth to see. Map design is usually just cluttered with Mise en Scene, with very little value to the actual gameplay experience. 

It seems like every time a new MMO comes out, this is one of the first things people request.

Personally I do not believe flying mounts fit with this world. Granted there ARE dragons in this world, but I have yet to see any rideable. Additionally there really are not any animals that I could even see them using as mounts... unless you count harpies. (shudder).

So yeah, no, I highly doubt this will become a thing. I would be incredibly shocked if they did.

Aside from which ,the game is coded to have poor texturing on very distant objects, do you really want to see a low poly world below you? Maybe if this was a flight simulator, that might... well... fly. But not for a game like this. If I am wrong years from now,  i will happily eat my words, but I do not see it happening.

Good points. I believe that, if flying mounts were to be implemented, they would make sure to correct any occurring issues that come along with the new mechanic, as with swimming and boats in water. 

As for the diversity of flying anything in this game, I agree they are few and limited. I suppose a situation like the Pixar movie "How to Tame Your Dragon" would be in place, though lore-wise, we have yet to see this having ever happened. But also like in the Pixar film, we'll never know until we try it ourselves ;)

I will oppose to everyone and I will say that flying mounts could work. But they would have to either create a layer of aerial exploration and survival which could really break the game if not done correctly, or make them extremely limited. For example make it so flying can only be done for very short distances at huge costs which would negate the point. 

Good thinking. However, I might say that flying mounts would only be possible for the long and far travels, making short travel with land mounts a must. As such, players who use the flying mounts really would only need them to go from one end of the map to the other, which, if done by foot, would be rather daunting (but necessary- keep in mind, my vision of flying mounts cannot make deliveries or store trading goods, therefore land mounts are still necessary for such systems, regardless of how long and treacherous the journey would be).

Posted

To be honest. please no more flyinmg in MMO´s ^^

1 person likes this

Posted

One of the big "endgame" things for those that like to PK is killing those people carrying trade goods so the inclusion of a flying mount would totally screw that over along with essentially making flying combat a thing and having to balance it as you can fight while mounted. With land mounts this isn't as big of an issue but say your playing a warrior and you lack a flying mount and a sorceress or ranger decides to attack you and does, they can now attack you without any retaliation and kill you with ease because they either purchased one from the cash shop or tamed one if its an option.

There was also a discussion on the feel of immersion I had seen at one point from when WoW added flying mounts were the sense of wonderlust and immersion was lost when people no longer had to ride through the world and experience it and be in it and instead just mounted up flew up super high to ignore people and landed when they arrived at their destination no longer dealing at all with anything but point a and point b.

I can understand that many people might not enjoy the tedium of traveling on land to a place as it can be time consuming but from a balancing perspective at least it is not at all something feasible without overhauls to a lot of other things.

Posted

I think adding flying mount its works, but not for everyone, if everyone can get the flying mount its will ruin the whole world, Only limited flying mounts could give player as reward as by killing a most special even of world boss (but that boss only have to discover by player, no signs, not easy to find it), dat only reward to a party. And will come no more. that could makes game having a lot of fun, 

Posted

Go back to playing WoW, kid.

2 people like this

Posted

Hell no! PLEASE do not brinf that crap to this game, IMO that was the downfall of WoW. It makes player interaction unnecessary

1 person likes this

Posted

if dat so, what is the point for adding flying mounts .lol

Posted

So, part of the majesty of MMO's - the allure, even if most people don't acknowledge it, is how staggeringly big the world is. You feel dwarfed, and as you head out onto adventures and cross dangerous terrain, you get a sense of accomplishment. Even if it's tinged with annoyance. Adding flying mounts removes much of that majesty; it makes the world feel very, very small. Why bother exploring the crags when you can just mount up and fly over them?

Also, when thinking about these kinds of gameplay ideas, keep in mind whether or not it would fit into the lore: Black Desert is a very medieval game tinged with a bit of the bizzare. Introducing flying mounts would mean lore would need to be rewritten - after all, if flying mounts existed, the battles depicted in Calpheon library would have ended another way. The emphasis the game puts on war generals and tacticians who fought on the ground with tooth and nail and whatever else was handy would be sort of lost - why slug through mud when you can take to the skies?

Flying mounts are not ideal for Black Desert. We already have enough convenience with auto-run. 

Posted

Should add in flight paths, I already AFK on my horse why can't I AFK on a bird?

Posted

Go back to playing WoW, kid.

A very mature and adult response. Can I ask why you feel the need to belittle me when we're merely discussing a topic of opinions? Rather childish yourself, sir.

One of the big "endgame" things for those that like to PK is killing those people carrying trade goods so the inclusion of a flying mount would totally screw that over along with essentially making flying combat a thing and having to balance it as you can fight while mounted. With land mounts this isn't as big of an issue but say your playing a warrior and you lack a flying mount and a sorceress or ranger decides to attack you and does, they can now attack you without any retaliation and kill you with ease because they either purchased one from the cash shop or tamed one if its an option.

Hey man, I think you missed my point when I said flying mounts would not be able to act as storages nor would be able to deliver trading goods. Land mammals would be just as necessary as they are now.

Should add in flight paths, I already AFK on my horse why can't I AFK on a bird?

Thats not a bad idea, either. Similar to Tera's pegasus system.

Posted

Hey man, I think you missed my point when I said flying mounts would not be able to act as storages nor would be able to deliver trading goods. Land mammals would be just as necessary as they are now.

And as to the balancing for PvP? which was the primary concern :P as I for one would be furious if i lacked a flying mount and was being regularly killed by other players without being able to retaliate. Should they begin reworking all the classes so everyone is on equal gowned ranged or melee so that if said player on a flying mount decides to attack anyone can do more then try and run. Or would you prepose they remove mounted combat?

Posted

And as to the balancing for PvP? which was the primary concern :P as I for one would be furious if i lacked a flying mount and was being regularly killed by other players without being able to retaliate. Should they begin reworking all the classes so everyone is on equal gowned ranged or melee so that if said player on a flying mount decides to attack anyone can do more then try and run. Or would you prepose they remove mounted combat?

I really only ever insinuated that flying mounts would serve only to be a means of faster travel. We already have mounts that you cannot engage in combat with (donkeys), and donkey's are really only "useful" as storage for trades. The flying mounts I envision would be similar to the donkey, in that it has one notable function and is only good for that.

Posted

I really only ever insinuated that flying mounts would serve only to be a means of faster travel. We already have mounts that you cannot engage in combat with (donkeys), and donkey's are really only "useful" as storage for trades. The flying mounts I envision would be similar to the donkey, in that it has one notable function and is only good for that.T

The donkey is also often disregarded as its mostly just designed as a starter mount as its given for free along the story as a horse and carriage are far better then the donkey would ever be for trading and the horse on its own is also faster then the donkey is able to be the donkey also isn't able to be entered in to races and the like. 

If it is just to be a glorified fast travel there is still the issue that it can fly as such there is areas it can access and transit problems that could arise that the devs might not want as if something can fly the only way to keep it out of an area is an "invisible wall" so if the devs don't wish to use those then they have to finish every little detail and fix any bugs with areas we wouldn't other wise have access too. 

So if devs are spend this time bug fixing texturing and producing areas that majority wise are unnecessary that is time they aren't spending adding new content. If they use invisible walls people complain if they ignore the issues since we wouldnt normally be going to or need to go to specific areas then people will complain :P It is generally just easier to let people use auto pathing and watch a video or show or maybe get a snack while the game does its thing.

Posted

flying mounts would be a safe way to travel to any distination.
No pvp risk.
No mob risk.

I say no

1 person likes this

Posted

I have to say no.  It takes away from the game's immersion, and will also make the world a lot emptier.  Why use horses to travel from place to place, when you can ride over it, ignore all the PvX, then run to the next grinding spot?  Flying mounts=empty world map=no thanks

2 people like this