• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Flying Mounts

107 posts in this topic

Posted

I can't seriously quote every single person that said "no" because of PvP... Guys seriously what pvp? I mean in this version of bdo the pvp is actually dead before starting, from own experience when you go around and you wanna pk for a reason or another the only thing you get is people laughing at you and don't even try to fight you back because the karma system is gonna ----- you so hard in the ass that you will regreat what you did... So what pvp are you talking about? Maybe GvG? O yeah gvg where people can just hide all over the channels and since the map is that big gl find them... Seriously this is just ridiculous.

On the other end let's get back to the topic and, well i say yes BUT, they totally have to add some related beast like dragons and griffons or it will get too random fantasy and will look really bad... Also to avoid that people stay all the time on air you can simply add some sort of cooldown between a flight and the other and give to the mount a stamina bar like we already have so that you can't camper mid air and gg...

1 person likes this

Posted

Plz don-t put any flying mount it will destroy this game PLZ!!PLZ!!

Posted

All flying mounts do is reduce the size of the world, lessens the realistic feel that many of us enjoy in BDO. A big no from me.

Posted

if you want flying mount go WOW, bad idea.

Posted (edited)

I can't seriously quote every single person that said "no" because of PvP... Guys seriously what pvp? I mean in this version of bdo the pvp is actually dead before starting, from own experience when you go around and you wanna pk for a reason or another the only thing you get is people laughing at you and don't even try to fight you back because the karma system is gonna ----- you so hard in the ass that you will regreat what you did... So what pvp are you talking about? Maybe GvG? O yeah gvg where people can just hide all over the channels and since the map is that big gl find them... Seriously this is just ridiculous.

On the other end let's get back to the topic and, well i say yes BUT, they totally have to add some related beast like dragons and griffons or it will get too random fantasy and will look really bad... Also to avoid that people stay all the time on air you can simply add some sort of cooldown between a flight and the other and give to the mount a stamina bar like we already have so that you can't camper mid air and gg...

Take a look at some topics about WoW and how flying has destroyed many elements of the game. 

flying will kill a lot of player interaction... if you want that sure add flying.

Edited by Loaky

Posted

No. If we "bring out the Griffons", the feeling of Black Desert Online will change alot. As soon flying mounts hit WoW, world pvp was dead.

Posted

NO.

Posted

i personally want to say please no flying mounts, flying mounts is something that would ruin or prevent the chance/choice/experience of goign from a-b through the land/landscape/game youd miss out on different scenery, it would also change the pvp experience dramatically and also change the way players can and will interact with each other dramaticaly and also it would just be another thing that would make the effort of travelling more worthless. like if you wanted to go from heidel to olvia you know the routes you can take and what you will see and go through on the way, but wit ha flying mount you just go straight from a to b without seeing another player or npc, not having any kind of pvp or pve interaction and missing out on the games world/landscape. and my final point is that, traveling by foot or on land mounts is like part of the games world and lore/tech imo it fits that whole nature of the game as i see it so far, and yes it can be tedious to have to spend that time to get from a to b but at the same time its what will make this game unique and makes traveling more rewarding and meaningful, and thus enjoyable as its effort that is worth it/has genuine worth on account of the fact that it simply is effort that gives you your result rather than getting something quicker with less effort as being less rewarding emotionally. and again you miss the landscapes and scenery and world that way and i think that experiencing the world up close so much is the immersion that makes this games world that much more enjoyable and worth playing in.

i have really bad grammar and typing ability btw so i apologise for that, so try to add commars in your head where you konw theyre meant to be.

Posted

It's a big open world out there, and when a horse just won't cut it, we're gonna need to bring out the Griffon's.

On a serious note, what do you guys think of this? The game does not have any traditional mmo fast traveling methods such as waypoints, and so it provides us with mounts to get around. Horses and other land mounts also serve the purpose of carrying goods for trade. The way I see it, adding flying mounts wouldn't hurt the usefulness and functions of land mounts, as they are necessary in different ways. It could be made so that flying mounts serve only to travel faster than land mounts, but cannot make deliveries, nor carry any trading goods; it is simply a means of faster travel.

EDIT:
I can see most are opposed to flying mounts and I respect their opinions on the matter, however I do believe I've made some strong and agreeable points with regards to making traveling more efficient while leaving land mounts just as purposeful as they are now. Several points have been discussed in the following replies and I'd like it if these were taken into consideration, no matter what side of the fence you're on. 

I too, say no to flying mounts, if they add that it will make the world feel drastically smaller. its supposed to feel like a world. the desert is perfect for example. it is just like any desert easy to get lost in and expansive. also it makes the game a carebear zone, don't want to get attacked by bandit players cool just hop onto your griffon and go where you please for the low low price of $99.99 ... just no... its a sandbox, don't ruin that.

Posted

Go back to playing WoW, kid.

+1

Posted

This game was meant to be a game where you explore the world on your own, with a realistic means of travel - so no fast travelling options, just you on your feet or horse. I do understand that some people might want flying mounts, so they could be able to fast travel. But I think that there are tons of us, who like the lack of fast travelling in this game.
Lack of fast travel makes the world feel bigger than it really is, so adding flying mounts or fast travel options could have a really bad impact on this. 
Sorry, but for me it´s definitely a big NO and I hope it will stay that way.

Posted

i dont see flying mounts fit in the game, maybe just MAYBE a fast travel mount like WoW has. but even that doesnt fit....

like Misa said 

flying mounts would be a safe way to travel to any distination.
No pvp risk.
No mob risk.

I say no

no risk of doing so its too safe.

next to that to my opinion the world isnt big enough, even with the desert and the new snow part coming it will not be big enough to not go by horse or cart

Posted

Personal flying mounts I would have to say no to I am afraid. Possibly a big multi person guild dragon to fight a boss would be OK, "if" the dragon was limited to certain areas but otherwise no. Now a slow Zeppelin between cities that require you to collect the knowledge of both ends and travels the speed of a tier 1 horse I can get behind. 

Posted

Definitely no.

Posted

Just...no.

Posted

I won't play BDO if they add flying. Even some developers, such as Blizzard, said it was a mistake they wish they had never added flying into their game.

I am against flying for any MMORPG. Ruins the world

Posted

It's a big open world out there, and when a horse just won't cut it, we're gonna need to bring out the Griffon's.

On a serious note, what do you guys think of this? The game does not have any traditional mmo fast traveling methods such as waypoints, and so it provides us with mounts to get around. Horses and other land mounts also serve the purpose of carrying goods for trade. The way I see it, adding flying mounts wouldn't hurt the usefulness and functions of land mounts, as they are necessary in different ways. It could be made so that flying mounts serve only to travel faster than land mounts, but cannot make deliveries, nor carry any trading goods; it is simply a means of faster travel.

EDIT:
I can see most are opposed to flying mounts and I respect their opinions on the matter, however I do believe I've made some strong and agreeable points with regards to making traveling more efficient while leaving land mounts just as purposeful as they are now. Several points have been discussed in the following replies and I'd like it if these were taken into consideration, no matter what side of the fence you're on. 

Flying mounts would ruin the game since the game set around exploring not jumping on a flying mount which is the equivalent to quick travel and flying over everything. You have not made any "strong and agreeable points" the points you made are even more of a reason not to have them. You sound like the typical lazy gamer and there are games like that out there for you like WOW, Blade and Soul, Guild Wars 2 and so on.

Posted

What about gliders in AA? In my experience it didn't restrict pvp, but enhanced it, it added an extra layer, that you could be attacked not only from the ground but you had to keep eyes on the sky as well when questing/grinding, allowing for aerial sneak attacks on large groups.

Posted

All flying mounts do is reduce the size of the world, lessens the realistic feel that many of us enjoy in BDO. A big no from me.

To borrow a line from Picard in Star Trek:TNG, "That man is bereft of passion.. and imagination!"

I REALLY want flying mounts. Ever since I played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, I loved them. That game had incredible flying mounts, which also served as land mounts. So you could have a pegasus that acted as a horse on land, and then took to the sky really fast.. I also loved the ability to HOVER indefinitely. I would often fly to the "ceiling" of the world and hover, watching sunrise/sunset or just enjoying the view.

Here's what I would like to see: 

• Flying mounts could initially be introduced as a Pegasus. (Possibly different flying mounts offered later with new content)
  • Only a top tier horse could be transformed into a Pegasus.
  • The Pegasus is created as a result of a lengthy and very difficult quest involving ancient knowledge and a special black spirit.
  • The Pegasus cannot be bred, as it has become a unique magical creature through black spirit possession and no longer behaves as an animal.
  • The Pegasus would act as both a land mount and a flying mount.
  • The Pegasus would require a full sprint on land before it could take flight.
  • The Pegasus would have 3 stages of flight speed. Slow (same as sprint speed of top tier horse, using very little stamina). Normal (200% sprint speed of top tier horse, using stamina). Sprint (300% short sprints using more stamina).
  • The Pegasus would also have the ability to hover indefinitely (no stamina usage).
  • The Pegasus in aerial mode would NOT have auto travel, thus all aerial travel must be manual.
  • Some areas where flight would become an exploit, the game would disable it. Pegasus that enter the area from the sky would be grounded immediately, without taking damage. (Although this might put the player in a hostile area, so a warning of some kind would be required before entering the area while in flight)

I figure that if we do get flying mounts, it's going to be at least a year or two from now. I think given the ambitious nature of what I propose, or something equivalent, it would take nearly that long to develop. But I'm definitely willing to wait for it. :)

Posted

To borrow a line from Picard in Star Trek:TNG, "That man is bereft of passion.. and imagination!"

I REALLY want flying mounts. Ever since I played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, I loved them. That game had incredible flying mounts, which also served as land mounts. So you could have a pegasus that acted as a horse on land, and then took to the sky really fast.. I also loved the ability to HOVER indefinitely. I would often fly to the "ceiling" of the world and hover, watching sunrise/sunset or just enjoying the view.

Here's what I would like to see: 

• Flying mounts could initially be introduced as a Pegasus. (Possibly different flying mounts offered later with new content)
  • Only a top tier horse could be transformed into a Pegasus.
  • The Pegasus is created as a result of a lengthy and very difficult quest involving ancient knowledge and a special black spirit.
  • The Pegasus cannot be bred, as it has become a unique magical creature through black spirit possession and no longer behaves as an animal.
  • The Pegasus would act as both a land mount and a flying mount.
  • The Pegasus would require a full sprint on land before it could take flight.
  • The Pegasus would have 3 stages of flight speed. Slow (same as sprint speed of top tier horse, using very little stamina). Normal (200% sprint speed of top tier horse, using stamina). Sprint (300% short sprints using more stamina).
  • The Pegasus would also have the ability to hover indefinitely (no stamina usage).
  • The Pegasus in aerial mode would NOT have auto travel, thus all aerial travel must be manual.
  • Some areas where flight would become an exploit, the game would disable it. Pegasus that enter the area from the sky would be grounded immediately, without taking damage. (Although this might put the player in a hostile area, so a warning of some kind would be required before entering the area while in flight)

I figure that if we do get flying mounts, it's going to be at least a year or two from now. I think given the ambitious nature of what I propose, or something equivalent, it would take nearly that long to develop. But I'm definitely willing to wait for it. :)

Still too common. The only way it would work is if it was Lineage 2 style where only the lord of teh castle were able to get a flying mount, and only while they were lord and even then I'd be really hesitant.

Posted (edited)

Still too common. The only way it would work is if it was Lineage 2 style where only the lord of teh castle were able to get a flying mount, and only while they were lord and even then I'd be really hesitant.

I don't know what you mean by "common". I think my idea works perfectly because you have to compromise auto travel in order to use a flying mount. Sometimes you'll want to go AFK and auto travel so you'll still travel on land though. You also have to take flight in the right conditions, i.e. accelerate to a sprint. You can't just summon it and jump immediately into flight.

It should also be a unique mount so that you can't attach a wagon to it. And since it requires a top tier horse to transform into a flying mount, it would be a significant sacrifice, since you would have to level up another horse if you plan to use a wagon.

Someone mentioned ArcheAge's aerial (PVP) combat. I'd rather not see that. In fact what I'm proposing is that the flying mount will be able to hover indefinitely in the sky, which would also make you immune to attacks (PvP or PvE), assuming you're out of range. That's the big thing I hated about AA's gliders, they don't act like real flying mounts. I want complete control of flight, especially in terms of gaining altitude and hovering. 

Edited by Orion Xavier

Posted

NO FLYING MOUNTS PLEASE

Posted (edited)

I don't know what you mean by "common". I think my idea works perfectly because you have to compromise auto travel in order to use a flying mount. Sometimes you'll want to go AFK and auto travel so you'll still travel on land though. You also have to take flight in the right conditions, i.e. accelerate to a sprint. You can't just summon it and jump immediately into flight.

It should also be a unique mount so that you can't attach a wagon to it. And since it requires a top tier horse to transform into a flying mount, it would be a significant sacrifice, since you would have to level up another horse if you plan to use a wagon.

Someone mentioned ArcheAge's aerial (PVP) combat. I'd rather not see that. In fact what I'm proposing is that the flying mount will be able to hover indefinitely in the sky, which would also make you immune to attacks (PvP or PvE), assuming you're out of range. That's the big thing I hated about AA's gliders, they don't act like real flying mounts. I want complete control of flight, especially in terms of gaining altitude and hovering. 

Anything that requires a quest will not be unique due to the nature of gaming these days (too easy to look up on the internet). Top tier horses will not be uncommon by the time they would be able to add them to the game.

Flight can absolutely break this game and remove all risk tied to moving around the world and make the world seem small (it actually isn't that big in the first place)

Edited by Noth

Posted (edited)

Only way i see something like this working is a static huge airship that cycles between the main cities every hour or 2.  You could take some trade good with you but would not be able to take your mount for example.  So going back you would have to take the airship again.  Something along those lines would be pretty cool, and useful for traveling between major cities like Calpheon - Velencia whenever that comes out.

Edited by Zegram

Posted

Flying mounts were cited by many of WoW's (ex)developers as one of the main nails in its coffin.