• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thoughts on $30 price tag

85 posts in this topic

Posted

Please note this isn't a complaint but a simple observation.

It appears that NA/EU has been charged $30 for which essentially a F2P with no benefits a B2P (Buy to play) game has. The cash shop is seemingly going to be the same as it is in Korea and Russia, the content will probably be similar, effectively nothing is different.

Actually, what is rather disappointing is that even with a price tag on a F2P title the voice acting is all over the place from okay to outright terrible. There have also been clear problems and lack of time and effort made in correctly translating the game into at least (as I don't speak any other language) English. The story is just at times incoherent and not well thought out, in an RPG type of MMO this is a rather critical issue. Its great interacting with the NPCs and learning about the world but the main story articulated should have been (as I'm not sure what failed here) translated correctly or written to better present the engaging world is apparently surrounds.

I appreciate that this was done to make money, but respectfully a company cannot and should not have both worlds. If this game was F2P the cash shop would be fine as it is and what is will probably evolve into however, this was seemingly done just to increase revenue from the NA/EU regions.

For example the reason our gear doesn't change that often in how it looks is to encourage us to buy the cosmetic items. This is 100% fine in a F2P as this functions as a revenue stream yet in a B2P, our gear should change in how it looks, voice acting should have been done correctly and there should be zero or very few areas of issue in regards to language translation. There should have been at launch content made if this was the intention of the B2P model made for NA/EU yet other then from interviews our content will be essentially the same with minor changes to suit the needs of the NA/EU market.  

What are your thoughts? I'm not ranting but making a reasonable observation.

6 people like this

Posted

Did you buy the game? [Yes][No]

Posted

Did you buy the game? [Yes][No]

:) Legit question

Posted

$30 bucks as a one shot purchase is nothing.   It's a quick initial boost to recoup localization costs.  I doubt, or hope, they are not relying on that price point to carry them.

It's the Shop that will do that. 

Are they double dipping? I think so , sure,..but really I guess I am jaded enough to 'expect' it these days. I dropped my 30$,..I'll play for awhile, get my jollies,..avoiding the cash shop like the plague.  And if I hit a pay wall,..I'll re-assess the situation. 

Posted

Cloud Strife

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 17 posts

17 posts. Okay. I do agree cashshop is overpriced tho.  

Posted

#Buy2Free2Play

1 person likes this

Posted

Btw I asked my initial question because unless you actually own the game, your question comes off as "*cry* I want to play the game for free".

If you actually do own the game, you can join the rest of us who think that the cash shop prices are too high.

Posted

Cloud Strife

•  
  • 84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default
  • Members
  • 17 posts

17 posts. Okay. I do agree cashshop is overpriced tho.  

xd

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

A friend let me have that 7 day pass. Its not so much 'I want to play for free angry at price tag'. I can afford the $30, its just I expect the $30 to actual contribute to the quality of the game. My criticisms come from reasonable observations. Okay say that the story was translated correctly, good voice acting, actual proof/NA content implemented and we say just for the discussion of cosmetic items actually had gear that changed in appearance over time. I am not against cosmetic/convenience items, I am against them being implemented to the same degree that they have been in other versions of the game that was F2P. Then yes the $30 is a reasonable price. Its just it appears that the $30 price tag was attached to just increase revenue with no give and take on their end of the business.

Edited by Cloud Strife
3 people like this

Posted

It's my personal opinion that Daum must have tutored under the masters of EA and are now trying as hard as they can to supplant their former masters as the most greedy gaming corporation.  Have to at least give them credit for being outright with their "we only care about your money" attitude.  Most companies try to cover that up a bit.

1 person likes this

Posted

$30 bucks as a one shot purchase is nothing.   It's a quick initial boost to recoup localization costs.  I doubt, or hope, they are not relying on that price point to carry them.

From the amount of errors in the translations and dodgy VA I doubt they actually spent that much doing it lol

2 people like this

Posted

>Voice acting

Umm.. since when has VA from mmos that went international ever been good.

Posted

>Voice acting

Umm.. since when has VA from mmos that went international ever been good.

To be fair the story and VA in SWTOR was pretty damn good, but they had a $120million budget

Posted

For the amount you can do in tjss game, $30 for base is a steal.

If you want to throw some more money the devs way, the use their cash shop. To me, prices are fine. Everyone today just feels as if they deserve everything for next to nothing, which ofcorse is horseshit.

1 person likes this

Posted

I for one (probably the only one) don't mind the VA. It has a good variety IMO. I remember reading that the B2P gave us more inventory space and a few other things. IIRC they also are designing the cash shop to not be P2W like the KR version, but I've never played that version.

Posted (edited)

This is a very good game, albeit not the usual hold my hand theme park game. $30 is worth it just to keep the hordes of F2P kiddies down and help with keeping out gold sellers.

Edited by Keth
1 person likes this

Posted

For the amount you can do in tjss game, $30 for base is a steal.

And what does that make the free entry in every other region?

Posted

Please note this isn't a complaint but a simple observation.

It appears that NA/EU has been charged $30 for which essentially a F2P with no benefits a B2P (Buy to play) game has. The cash shop is seemingly going to be the same as it is in Korea and Russia, the content will probably be similar, effectively nothing is different.

Actually, what is rather disappointing is that even with a price tag on a F2P title the voice acting is all over the place from okay to outright terrible. There have also been clear problems and lack of time and effort made in correctly translating the game into at least (as I don't speak any other language) English. The story is just at times incoherent and not well thought out, in an RPG type of MMO this is a rather critical issue. Its great interacting with the NPCs and learning about the world but the main story articulated should have been (as I'm not sure what failed here) translated correctly or written to better present the engaging world is apparently surrounds.

I appreciate that this was done to make money, but respectfully a company cannot and should not have both worlds. If this game was F2P the cash shop would be fine as it is and what is will probably evolve into however, this was seemingly done just to increase revenue from the NA/EU regions.

For example the reason our gear doesn't change that often in how it looks is to encourage us to buy the cosmetic items. This is 100% fine in a F2P as this functions as a revenue stream yet in a B2P, our gear should change in how it looks, voice acting should have been done correctly and there should be zero or very few areas of issue in regards to language translation. There should have been at launch content made if this was the intention of the B2P model made for NA/EU yet other then from interviews our content will be essentially the same with minor changes to suit the needs of the NA/EU market.  

What are your thoughts? I'm not ranting but making a reasonable observation.

blabalbalbablabalb
please get a job.
-Sizer

1 person likes this

Posted

And what does that make the free entry in every other region?

Why does that matter? I live in the UK and pay twice as much as Americans for Electronics, you don't see the UK dissolving in a pool of kiddie tears do you?

Different places, different prices.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

blabalbalbablabalb
please get a job.
-Sizer

I wrote a post asking for active discussion. This from someone who's at almost 2,000 posts is rather disappointing. I hope that this kind of post does not represent the actual community. If you disagree with a point I made, please discuss it and explain why. The $30 price tag while the topic of discussion is not the only point made, please read the post to see the varying other points that were and are made by not just me but others that can reasonably see structural problems that exist.

Edited by Cloud Strife
6 people like this

Posted

just be graceful that they actually have BDO in NA/EU :) for the amount of content and time that you will spend in the game to actually finish all of those content .. $30 is like giveaway

Just think the B2P aspect is a "bot/gold seller" fighter since the game have "much much" lower rate of both of that right now compare to other game at launch where you can't even use global chat

1 person likes this

Posted

Btw I asked my initial question because unless you actually own the game, your question comes off as "*cry* I want to play the game for free".

If you actually do own the game, you can join the rest of us who think that the cash shop prices are too high.

And very legitimate reasoning.  Given the amount of crying that occurs in this forum.

Why does that matter? I live in the UK and pay twice as much as Americans for Electronics, you don't see the UK dissolving in a pool of kiddie tears do you?

Personally I think the $30 price tag is reasonable.  My reasoning is as follows

Localization with servers set up in both NA and EU.  This costs a lot of money, even without the localization and voice acting costs.  ISP costs are higher for setup and maintenance in EU\NA.   Salaries for the IT staff to set this stuff up is higher, so are your monitoring staff, hardware repair, etc.  Living in UK you realize EU IT staff is mostly unionized which means no labor on the cheap, same goes for CA in NA.  So your staffing costs will be significantly higher than in Korea.  

The west's preference for not having items which we consider pay to win.  Items which affect game play as to present those with more money as those with the largest advantage.  This is a cultural difference from Asian to Western MMOs and it means cash shops are less profitable in the west than in Asia.  In addition lack of P2W items means less re-sale value on each item in the cash shop.  (Most users are not going to buy two identical warrior outfits.) 

With this price point it also acts as a deterrent to those who would multi-box and bot accounts to farm.  In addition to trade restrictions this has pretty much eliminated gold sellers. Currently there have been so few (if any, personally I have seen none), players can easily flag them and the accounts can be banned.   Unlike FFXIV where there are so many, simply ignoring them is impossible as your black list would quickly fill up.    To me this alone is worth the $30 price point, a game where I am not plagued by gold farmer\sellers. 

Do I wish the VA was better than it is?  Sure.  Could it be better?  Yes. Is it a true deterrent to paying for the game?  No.   Admittedly I tend to read more than listen to the voice acting, as I can digest a sentence quick than it can be spoken aloud.  

So yes I think a minimum $30 is just fine. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

To me, this game is worth every single penny. The amount of detail in graphics (Which requires tons of work from the developers), quests and plenty more other things to do in game, is more than we could want for $30 bucks. I honestly thought it was going to have a $50-60 dollar tag and I was willing to throw it at their face too. $30 dollar is a bargain. I played the game in JP for a long time so I knew what I was getting in advance.

I wrote a post asking for active discussion. This from someone who's at almost 2,000 posts is rather disappointing. I hope that this kind of post does not represent the actual community. If you disagree with a point I made, please discuss it and explain why.

You will get such people some times. You can always ignore.

Edited by Slasher

Posted

just be graceful that they actually have BDO in NA/EU :) for the amount of content and time that you will spend in the game to actually finish all of those content .. $30 is like giveaway

Just think the B2P aspect is a "bot/gold seller" fighter since the game have "much much" lower rate of both of that right now compare to other game at launch where you can't even use global chat

I'm grateful at the same time a company wants to make money, so bringing to a rather large audience located in NA/EU is not charity but a strategic investment.

From what I've read from other posts and seen in game bots have still managed to get in. If BDO wanted to take an active approach they should have (before it went free to play) went the route Guild Wars /GW2 did and make it so we needed a code to be entered to play the game. This would have outright halted the majority of bots since a randomized code like that is harder to breach then the current system in place.

Posted

What.

That's not it at all. The game is Buy to Play in our region per the request of enough people. We wanted it to be Buy to Play so it would be similar to other Buy to Play MMOs. A second stream of revenue from initial purchases would have allowed them to tone down their cash shop compared to Russia, Korea and Japan.

Not what happened. We ended up with a Buy to Play game with a Free to Play model. They kept the cash shop prices the same, then slapped a price tag on the game itself to milk more money from us than everyone else.

People make the argument that "30 dollars is a steal" when you can go somewhere else and get the same game for nothing. People say "We buy the game so they get paid" or that the initial purchases "funds localization" when if that were the case, everyone would have to buy it everywhere. But they don't.

3 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0