• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Low FPS on Solid PC Build

160 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Introduction:
So I'd consider myself pretty good with computer technology, but I figured I'd make this thread to see if anyone who knows more than me could help out. I have a pretty good computer build that runs current games at a solid 50-60 FPS, but it seems only with MMO's that I run into any problems.

I figure this could be because of my CPU being AMD, but I'm also under the impression that my CPU should deliver better FPS for this game.

Computer Specifications:
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970 (x2) SLI
CPU: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (x2)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W G2
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
HDD: WD 2TB Black (game install drive), WD 1TB Blue (OS install drive)
Monitor: ASUS 1920x1080p HD, 60Hz

Nothing is overclocked, all standard. Aside from the CPU, which is delivered as an already overclocked CPU. My CPU's thermal margin leaves me with about 30-40 degrees of breathing room, all cores are being used but not by much. The game's CPU usage is around 35-40%. GPU's aren't ever overheating, my GPU's fan-speeds are about 50%-75% leaving both GPU's around 40-50 degrees together. I created an exception in the NVIDIA Control Panel to force SLI in the game, but the FPS didn't improve by much.

Also, all my drivers are up to date.

Game Settings:
As for graphic settings, I run the game on max settings in Full Screen Windowed with the exception of high-end mode, because that mode ruins my FPS even more. I can't play the game in full-screen because of that weird bug that's going around with HDMI, where the game forces the monitor's refresh rate to about 23-24Hz.

FPS Problems:
Open areas are about 40-55 FPS
Villages are about 20-35 FPS
Cities are about 12-20 FPS

Reducing the graphic settings to Low didn't seem to change the FPS at all, I figured that was also quite strange.

Conclusion:
Is this fairly normal? I know the game isn't well optimized, so maybe there's nothing I can do to improve the FPS any further? I'm hoping NVIDIA releases a profile soon for BDO, I imagine that would help.

Thanks!

Edited by Symbiote
Included information about drivers and hard-drives.
5 people like this

Posted

Exactly the same problem, except that my fps are even worse: 10-20 FPS everywhere in the map. I Have a i7-6700k, Nvidia Gtx 980 Ti, 16Gb Ram (Windows 10)

Posted

Exactly the same problem, except that my fps are even worse: 10-20 FPS everywhere in the map. I Have a i7-6700k, Nvidia Gtx 980 Ti, 16Gb Ram (Windows 10)

That's even stranger than my problem, since you're using a i7.

I found these two images that show the minimum and average FPS for CPU's and GPU's. I understand they're listed with higher RAM and they're using an SSD, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference?

20151028051939a0e8km8z8zqhffl3.jpg
20151028052113a0e8kmaiymdxp8yj.jpg

Posted

Is 970ti a typo?

They don't exist! I want one!

Posted

Is 970ti a typo?

They don't exist! I want one!

Yeah that's a typo. Fixed.

Posted

I have exactly the same FPS as you do in all areas, on admittedly a weaker system (i7 4790k, 970, 8gb Ram). What I have noticed is how changing the settings make no difference whatsoever on the frames, even optimization mode and that looks bloody ugly so it doesn't make sense to me.

Posted

I have exactly the same FPS as you do in all areas, on admittedly a weaker system (i7 4790k, 970, 8gb Ram). What I have noticed is how changing the settings make no difference whatsoever on the frames, even optimization mode and that looks bloody ugly so it doesn't make sense to me.

Very strange. Perhaps the game just needs to be better optimized.

1 person likes this

Posted

Weird im playing on a laptop ... 

i7 

8gb memory

870m

playing on high with 50-60fps  40 in town....

Try untick high end mode 

Posted

Weird im playing on a laptop ... 

i7 

8gb memory

870m

playing on high with 50-60fps  40 in town....

Try untick high end mode 

I'm not using high-end mode, personally.

Posted

I have played with ALL settings (ingame, in the launcher, and Nvidia control panel) for 2 days now. Also made a clean install of the game and my drivers, not a single fps change. Around 10-20 everywhere, everytime.

For the SSD, i've installed the game one time on my SSD, one time in an other HD, and (again) no difference at all.

I see many people that have a very good rig having poor fps, and others that have weaker specs and having 50 fps with no problems..

They need to fix this asap, it's barely unplayable for me.

Posted

I have played with ALL settings (ingame, in the launcher, and Nvidia control panel) for 2 days now. Also made a clean install of the game and my drivers, not a single fps change. Around 10-20 everywhere, everytime.

For the SSD, i've installed the game one time on my SSD, one time in an other HD, and (again) no difference at all.

I see many people that have a very good rig having poor fps, and others that have weaker specs and having 50 fps with no problems..

They need to fix this asap, it's barely unplayable for me.

Yeah, it's very weird the reports that people have been putting in about their computer specifications and the kind of FPS they're reporting back. Good and bad.

I'm really hoping that GeForce Experience will release a profile soon for the game. At least then I could set specific optimization settings.

I've read into NVIDIA Inspector, which supposedly helps with your NVIDIA GPU's, but I haven't messed with it. There's also a program called ParkControl which will use all of your CPU cores, but that didn't change much for me either because my CPU cores were already being utilized to begin with. Maybe these'll help for you.

Posted

Bad optimization/game engine. Deal with it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, it's very weird the reports that people have been putting in about their computer specifications and the kind of FPS they're reporting back. Good and bad.
I'm really hoping that GeForce Experience will release a profile soon for the game. At least then I could set specific optimization settings.

I've read into NVIDIA Inspector, which supposedly helps with your NVIDIA GPU's, but I haven't messed with it. There's also a program called ParkControl which will use all of your CPU cores, but that didn't change much for me either because my CPU cores were already being utilized to begin with. Maybe these'll help for you.

I have made some tests with these apps, no change at all :/

With Nvidia Inspector, i've selected the "Black Desert" Profile available in Drivers Settings, but same fps again.

I Have taken a screen of the game with graphs from my GPU, Usage is never more than 30-35%.

bdo-perfs-gtx980ti.png

Posted

i'm running it with 40-50 fps with medium/high settings. but i get 0 fps(screen freezes) for 1 or 2 seconds and gets back to normal. happens every single minute 2 or 3 times. even in low quality all off (worst graphics ever) i get the same 40-50 fps but still freezes

and also after daum logo and pearl abyss it takes a couple minutes to be able to select my character. the screen remains black -.-

Posted (edited)

Bad optimization/game engine. Deal with it.

"Deal with it," I'd say that's the most helpful comment I've ever read on the forums. Thank you for your wonderful input. ;-)

I have made some tests with these apps, no change at all :/

With Nvidia Inspector, i've selected the "Black Desert" Profile available in Drivers Settings, but same fps again.

I Have taken a screen of the game with graphs from my GPU, Usage is never more than 30-35%.

bdo-perfs-gtx980ti.png

I believe with Inspector that you have to customize the settings of the profile and then apply them to the game. I was reading that you have to apply the settings every time you want to play the game, but supposedly it's helpful when configuring the game.

Edited by Symbiote

Posted

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but on the screen tab of the settings, scroll down to "Photo Filter" and tab it across until it's set to "None".

I found an increase in performance when I did that and I was getting a fair bit of stuttering in my game play for no reason.

Posted (edited)

My laptop is a turd and supposedly not good enough to run this game above medium settings. Optimization mode has me under 10 fps. The only things that improve my fps are using very high video setting, unchecking high end mode, unchecking improve distance, and hiding player lanterns. Suddenly I get 30+ fps. I can toggle anything else on or off as I please without any effect. Those four in combination are my magic key to unlocking the power of my potato. Perhaps worth a try, though it seems everyone has their own unique workarounds to figure out.

Edited by Kissi
clarification

Posted

"Deal with it," I'd say that's the most helpful comment I've ever read on the forums. Thank you for your wonderful input. ;-)

I believe with Inspector that you have to customize the settings of the profile and then apply them to the game. I was reading that you have to apply the settings every time you want to play the game, but supposedly it's helpful when configuring the game.

No problem.

Posted (edited)

Try to turn Vsync in your NVIDIA Controlpanel off (blackdesert64.exe) you have to restart the game, doesn't work while you'r playing. Go Full Screen mode, if it doesn't work there it might work in Full Screen Windowed. My only problem right now is, in Full Screen Windowed my FPS are caped (30 in villages and towns, 60 outside) but it workes all fine in Full Screen after I deaktivated Vsync (40+ in towns and 80+ outside)

You also should take a look at the Hz of your Monitor in your NVIDIA Controlpanel, i didn't had this issue myself, but i heard that the game downgraded your Hz in Full Screen and Full Screen Windowed, if that's the case, you just have to put it back at your number.

Edited by Sailom

Posted (edited)

Try to turn Vsync in your NVIDIA Controlpanel off (blackdesert64.exe) you have to restart the game, doesn't work while you'r playing. Go Full Screen mode, if it doesn't work there it might work in Full Screen Windowed. My only problem right now is, in Full Screen Windowed my FPS are caped (30 in villages and towns, 60 outside) but it workes all fine in Full Screen after I deaktivated Vsync (40+ in towns and 80+ outside)

You also should take a look at the Hz of your Monitor in your NVIDIA Controlpanel, i didn't had this issue myself, but i heard that the game downgraded your Hz in Full Screen and Full Screen Windowed, if that's the case, you just have to put it back at your number.

Used both full screen and full screen windowed, they both seemed about the same with full screen windowed performing better. To me, that doesn't make any sense.

Even after turning off v-sync, there still seems to be a cap, regardless of which mode I'm in. I double-checked and I have the "blackdesert64.exe" customized. My monitor's refresh rate has also been staying at 60Hz, 1920x1080p.

Hard to say if there's any fix at all, unless Daum either fixes their optimization for the game or GeForce releases a profile.

My laptop is a turd and supposedly not good enough to run this game above medium settings. Optimization mode has me under 10 fps. The only things that improve my fps are using very high video setting, unchecking high end mode, unchecking improve distance, and hiding player lanterns. Suddenly I get 30+ fps. I can toggle anything else on or off as I please without any effect. Those four in combination are my magic key to unlocking the power of my potato. Perhaps worth a try, though it seems everyone has their own unique workarounds to figure out.

Tried this, my FPS didn't improve by much. Thank you for the tip though!

Edited by Symbiote

Posted

That's even stranger than my problem, since you're using a i7.
I found these two images that show the minimum and average FPS for CPU's and GPU's. I understand they're listed with higher RAM and they're using an SSD, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference?

20151028051939a0e8km8z8zqhffl3.jpg
20151028052113a0e8kmaiymdxp8yj.jpg

Just saying, I don't think those charts are accurate at all.. it says a 670 should average at 26 FPS but I'm averaging 45-50. It's 60 in fields but drops to 35 in crowded areas.

Posted

try rolling back drivers, newest Nvidia drivers are suppose to be shitty for BDO

1 person likes this

Posted

Fun fact I noticed recently - on LOW I'm getting about 12 fps in cities, BUT ON HIGHER SETTINGS (Medium/Slightly high/High/Very High) I'm getting about 35- especially noticeable when approaching a city or some crowds lol.

Posted

No idea, my 970 on a 4690k runs just fine,50-60 majority of the time, dips only when loading in the world initially, but after that, it stays pretty solid

Posted

try rolling back drivers, newest Nvidia drivers are suppose to be shitty for BDO

Which version? Any source for that information?