• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

What killed other MMO's for you?

427 posts in this topic

Posted

As it says, What killed the fun in other MMO's for you?  Things we hope doesn't happen here.

I'm not a huge MMO junkie, maybe played 2 or 3 for any real length of time.  But my impressions have been.

WoW - was great at the beginning, sure the lag sucked but it was new and exciting at the time when there was less competition.  Since then the game imo has been changed and over simplified, and for lack of a better term ruined for me.

GW2 - The concept of the game was cool. Being able to help out strangers without grouping ect. But I think this led to less communication amongst players, outside of cities. Graphic style just didn't appeal to me. The pvp system and limited ability bar turned me off too.  Think I lasted about 2 months in there before I got bored.

Tera - Graphics were good, target system was a novel idea but doesn't do well with the server lag. Limited time on dye's . . still don't understand this. It's ok but doesn't hold my interest for very long.  I play this every so often for a month or two then get bored again.

SWTOR - I had a blast doing the Huttball pvp from 1-49. At level 50 it just didn't feel the same. Lack of end game before I quit playing. Really this felt like a single player game with an MMO slapped on it.  I liked that it used the old talent point system from WoW, pretty much.  Right at the time when WoW went and nerfed that stuff.  So really had some high points but very low - low points.  Logged in for maybe 5 min when it went free to play.  Wait a second. . . I have to pay to hide my helmet?  And that was the end of that.

Every other MMO game I tried either had horribad gameplay / combat. Poor UI, or really bad graphics.

Posted (edited)

Mabinogi - It lost it's classic magic and turned into a game with no social aspect, challenges, or real drive for any goals! It was all about being the highest level, having the flashy stuff you get from buying gachas in the cash shop (turned p2w), and being really cliquey! It was such a great game that was truly an online fantasy life, but now it's just filled with inflation/non-social players! The forums there are dead as well, and that really turned me off to the game. I also didn't want to have to pay 10 dollars every time a new, cool item came out. Bleh!

Maplestory - Meh, I liked it before a certain infamous update. Plus the cash shop items (clothing, accessories, PETS) were limited! ):

These are my opinions though, so I'm not really bashing the game and claiming everything I've written is pure fact. Just how I feel about them! ;)

Edited by Kunoichi
3 people like this

Posted

As it says, What killed the fun in other MMO's for you?  Things we hope doesn't happen here.

I'm not a huge MMO junkie, maybe played 2 or 3 for any real length of time.  But my impressions have been.

WoW - was great at the beginning, sure the lag sucked but it was new and exciting at the time when there was less competition.  Since then the game imo has been changed and over simplified, and for lack of a better term ruined for me.

GW2 - The concept of the game was cool. Being able to help out strangers without grouping ect. But I think this led to less communication amongst players, outside of cities. Graphic style just didn't appeal to me. The pvp system and limited ability bar turned me off too.  Think I lasted about 2 months in there before I got bored.

Tera - Graphics were good, target system was a novel idea but doesn't do well with the server lag. Limited time on dye's . . still don't understand this. It's ok but doesn't hold my interest for very long.  I play this every so often for a month or two then get bored again.

SWTOR - I had a blast doing the Huttball pvp from 1-49. At level 50 it just didn't feel the same. Lack of end game before I quit playing. Really this felt like a single player game with an MMO slapped on it.  I liked that it used the old talent point system from WoW, pretty much.  Right at the time when WoW went and nerfed that stuff.  So really had some high points but very low - low points.  Logged in for maybe 5 min when it went free to play.  Wait a second. . . I have to pay to hide my helmet?  And that was the end of that.

Every other MMO game I tried either had horribad gameplay / combat. Poor UI, or really bad graphics.

Pay 2 win. Seriously,every game I played.

Aion. High PvP ranks can only be achieved by buying a shit ton of cash shop items.

Archeage. nuff said,huge pay 2 win, the combat was boring

Tera. Also got pay 2 win.

Exception:

Warhammer online: shut down.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Archeage (NA)

Trion's incompetence

Trion's clear agenda for money and not keeping the playerbase

Trion lying and deceiving about their agenda (Alpha was good, everything went just right. Official release comes around and bam it all comes tumbling down, Trion no longer wished to hide what they really wanted)

Trion censoring criticism and anything they disagreed with on the ArcheAge forums

FOTM builds being overly powerful, without nerfs

The labor system, initially made to slow the game down and make it a little more reasonable, later turned into a cash cow

Massive parts of the game being entirely client sided with no checks-allowing for large scale botting, exploiting, and modding for an unfair advantage

Trion releasing a game several patches behind

How Pay To Win it quickly got in a few short months (I quit at the Hallowe'en event--you would buy jackpot style crates, hope to get a good drop, then sell on the AH) (Selling seeds that grew into a tree that was supposed to be rare (Thunderstruck Trees), tanking a massive part of the economy)

Trion not communicating AT ALL with the playerbase

Trion not informing Hackshield of a client update, causing tons of players to get locked out during a HUGE update that should have been a part of the game since day 1

Hackshield installing a rootkit on your PC

The false-capping of servers to make the game look populated after release in order to get more players to subscribe

The massive difference in the populations of the 2 continents causing for locked races

tl;dr Trion

Edited by robin
18 people like this

Posted

Uncharted Waters Online 

• Lack of Updates
  • Community (Guild rules the game, monopolizes the server, & threatens anyone who disagree with them)
  • P2W Cash Shop (They sell ships, imagine getting a +15 weapon in the cash shop or even +20)

ArcheAge

• Hackz
  • P2W
1 person likes this

Posted

I think most MMOs have turned me off for simply sticking too close to the WoW formula. The few MMOs I have gotten into have all been very unique and different, and that's how I got interested in Black Desert too.

6 people like this

Posted

Elsword

Endgame gear becomes obsolete every time a new area appears (every 2 years or so ) and you got to start all over from zero to craft endgame gear. end game gear takes around 7 months of playing everyday to make o -o

Other MMOs

repetitive gameplay. go kill that thing to get this thing again an again 

Posted

Too many bots, super boring combat, lame and easy bosses that you just button mash.

Posted

Pay 2 win is the biggest problem that i've faced with other MMO's and i really do hope BDO does not become like that.

Posted

So Personally I've played TONS of mmos(im an older dude), starting back with FFXI back 15 years ago when it came to America. I've tried WoW, Aion, GW2, GW, FFXIV, ARK, Alantica, Eve, Diablo series, Elite Dangerous, SWTOR, ESO,  blah blah blah.  I've played some for weeks some for years and years. Too be honest it comes down to more or less the same issue...

No community. I mean most of these games it feels like I'm playing alone grinding out a character for what? To be alone? Of course I've done raids.. of course I've tried each aspect of most of these. Of course, there were individual problems that didn't make me desire to stick around.

But the real answer... no matter what is the lack of community. If the gameplay is fun, but I'm alone who cares? If I'm forced to group and meet people, but the combat is snails its hard for it to stick. If I can teleport anywhere instantly, why should I invest in the people of the world. If we have all the gear and theres nothing to do, why stay?

10 people like this

Posted

p2w

Posted

C9 -  lack of content / P2W. 

Tera- very repetitive / poor game optimization 

Raiderz- lack of contentnt

Posted

P2W is a big one.Hacking,exploiting,community died and the companies generally not caring.I have played mmo's since uo in the late 90's the last mmo i seriously played was archeage as i loved many things about it and followed it for years just to see the korea version go to crap and the american one fall to greed they said would not happen.P2W was strong there as well as the hacking/exploit issues and trion litterially did not care hence the players leaving plus the fact they held back content.

1 person likes this

Posted

Archeage: The best gear was crafted so p2w.

F2p = questing between hordes of botters.

Then the hacking.. Basically the publishers abandoned the moderation from day 1, which meant reporting anything was useless.

2 people like this

Posted

Lack of communication from the Devs/Publishers killed many MMOs for me. Something small like that reflects in-game and it starts to bug me, specially when the theme of the forum pages change into public bashing of GMs or Moderators. Afterwards the game itself turns into a Jersey Shores episode with everyone getting drunk, picking fights, etc etc...

Hopefully everyone is mature enough to go about life happy go-lucky style! :D

2 people like this

Posted

I quit TERA, SWTOR, and FFXIV due to a lack of content and actual cooperative mechanics. FFXIV was easily the best out of all the other ones I played even though it was a PVE semi-tab target one. It has way more content nowadays but it's too late for me to go back.

1 person likes this

Posted

p2w

devs giving in to game hoppers and carebears, only to make changes for people who intend to only play the game for 1-3 months

devs doing blatant cash grabs, (also part of p2w)

I've been playing mmorpgs since 97'-98' played every mmo imaginable(almost) things above me are the 3 biggest community killer

3 people like this

Posted

Hmm.

Some games I had to turn away from were because:
1. It got ruined by being dumbed down / made easy
2. Went P2W
3. Was full of hackers. Real players couldn't compete.

And really I am on a search for the perfect game for me. I like collecting treasures. I like finding treasure chests. I like open world pvp. I like crafting for profit. I like exploring. I like mobbing for loots and money. And most games have little to none of any of that. BDO you are my only hope. <3

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Game Killers

My list: I've played alot more but they are not as interesting as those titles.

World of Warcraft(MMORPG) Cons: You can buy gold, beside this game had alot to offer, but it's old now, it was pretty good overall.

Diablo 3(ARPG) Cons: Heavily P2W Even when using a B2P Format, this is a good exemple, most top players just bought their gears. (Just my opinion)

Path Of Exile(ARPG) Cons: Believe it or not you can buy currency even with their system which is supposed to prevent this, disapointing, and it's a grindfest.

Grim Dawn(ARPG) Not many people know this game, and this is a shame, it's a masterpiece, however there is no Mmorpg Element at all, only LAN Connection (i.e Titan Quest with a server filter) also it's possible to cheat without any efforts.

Tera(MMORPG) Somewhat Pay 2 Win, Graphics aren't really good either which is a shame :(

Guild Wars 2(MMORPG) I didn't like the quests in this one, The cash shop isn't pay to win but theres is still gold sellers everywhere which basically can make it a p2w title, they are pretty hard to stop in any mmorpg anyways, the main reason this mmo was killed for me is due to lag, i had a bad gpu back then, and also had no interest in the quest/storyline still a decent game tho.

Some flaws in mmo are really hard to fix, let's hope black desert do a great job!

Edited by devour

Posted

I quit TERA, SWTOR, and FFXIV due to a lack of content and actual cooperative mechanics. FFXIV was easily the best out of all the other ones I played even though it was a PVE semi-tab target one. It has way more content nowadays but it's too late for me to go back.

FFXIV was definitely really good, but there's little to no reason to have a guild (free company), because all the difficult content is 8 man with severe lockout restrictions so unless you want an FC of like 8 guys who even cares. I think it was a real mistake to not make raids more like 24 man or something to give people a real reason to band together other than you could. There's technically more content now, but the amount of RELEVANT content always stays super low due to having very little content at one time, and the severe vertical progression that quickly obsoletes content that isn't from the current patch. I'd probably still play it if it had more horizontal progression to keep older content relevant and/or they just released a lot more content at a time. Their only hope to get you to keep playing is the severe weekly lockouts on raids. Once you master the raid you can do basically everything you need to in a week, in an hour, and then you get to wait another half a year for more raid. Woo...

So Personally I've played TONS of mmos(im an older dude), starting back with FFXI back 15 years ago when it came to America. I've tried WoW, Aion, GW2, GW, FFXIV, ARK, Alantica, Eve, Diablo series, Elite Dangerous, SWTOR, ESO,  blah blah blah.  I've played some for weeks some for years and years. Too be honest it comes down to more or less the same issue...

No community. I mean most of these games it feels like I'm playing alone grinding out a character for what? To be alone? Of course I've done raids.. of course I've tried each aspect of most of these. Of course, there were individual problems that didn't make me desire to stick around.

But the real answer... no matter what is the lack of community. If the gameplay is fun, but I'm alone who cares? If I'm forced to group and meet people, but the combat is snails its hard for it to stick. If I can teleport anywhere instantly, why should I invest in the people of the world. If we have all the gear and theres nothing to do, why stay?

I liked the community in FFXI... Well, I liked my own guild (linkshell), because I gathered like-minded people, and it was really easy because most other LSes were a certain way that people like me would hate. There were reasons to be on friendly terms with people outside your LS and keep up a good reputation, since basically everything was open world and while there was no actual PvP, people could still try to grief you with MPK and do other stuff to make your life miserable. Still quit anyway because the developers were way too slow to listen to players and make some critical quality of life changes that made the game way too frustrating. To have a real sense of community, you need reasons to band together. BDO certainly has that, so hopefully the rest of the game besides just the combat becomes fun enough to play a lot. I mean, the PvP should be good for the people who start from launch even if they don't change anything, but too bad for anyone who starts late if they keep all the level and especially gear progression (with its current huge gaps in power between tiers) the same as KR version. >.>

1 person likes this

Posted

World of Warcraft - Age and some questionable decisions to dumb down the game. I don't think any MMO will ever give me the same feeling as WoW did during its golden years. However, around the Lich King era they started making the game easier by offering players easier access to end-game content. In vanilla you had to have a guild and good communication, in WotLK they added the dungeon finder system and in the later expansions they added the difficulty system which meant most players could experience an easier version of endgame content. The thing that keeps MMOs alive is envy and competition. When I see that a guild beat Algalon The Observer, I dreamt of the day where I could beat him myself. Now, any player can beat almost any boss as long as they're semi-competent. Also, this is an obvious one but eventually the game started showing it's age. Hotkey MMOs just don't do it for me any more. Also, the story shifted from focusing on lore heroes to focusing on your character being the main hero, which absolutely kills any immersion because you can't be the chosen one when there are 50 other chosen ones right next to you.

Guild Wars 2 - They ignored the key concept of envy and competition which I mentioned earlier and instead opted for the "everyone is equal" approach by having all gear of the same level have the exact same stats with the only difference being visual appearance. This might sound good in theory but in reality it removes any incentive to attempt to get better equipment. The dynamic quests and story were well made and I enjoyed leveling but shortly after hitting max level I lost interest. PvP didn't do it for me. The combat, while having elements of movement and dodging, still boiled down to hotkeys in the end. The varying abilities with each weapon type also sounded good in theory but it actually made the number of skills you could use very limited. The platforming element was damn brilliant though.

TERA - Had wonderful graphics and an aesthetically pleasing world, but it also had extremely repetitive quests which all boil down to kill X amount of Ys and collect Z amount of Qs. The combat was a step up from Guild Wars 2 even though it still wasn't truly dynamic. It was still based around hotkey spells. There was a lack of worthwhile content once you hit the higher levels. The community is full of otakus, ERPers and similar pond scum (mostly found among Elin players).

Aion - Similar to Tera. PvP in this one could be quite interesting at times. Too bad the combat was standard hotkey MMO combat.

Skyforge - Cookie-cutter hotkey MMO hiding behind flashy graphics.

Wildstar - Cookie-cutter hotkey MMO hiding behind cartoony graphics. Okay, this isn't exactly fair since the devs never claimed that they were making something revolutionary, they've been upfront from the get-go that it would be a classic MMO but that is exactly the reason why I got bored quickly with it.

ArcheAge - Okay, this is the big one. The Mount Everest of Disappointment. I played this game a lot during the beta stages and absolutely loved it. The combat was traditional but the fact that you could mix and match 3 classes gave you a lot of creative opportunity. The freedom was unprecedented. Ship combat was fantastic. PvP sieges were terrific. The gilders, vehicles and mounts were great. The farming and housing systems too. The labor system was annoying but I was ready to get used to that. TOO BAD THE PUBLISHERS ARE GREEDY AND INCOMPETENT FUCKS WHO RUINED THE GAME WITH AN ATROCIOUS AMOUNT OF PAY 2 WIN. IT'S BEEN A YEAR AND I'M STILL MAD.

I also played a ton of shitty free MMOs before I even started playing WoW but those aren't even worth mentioning.

7 people like this

Posted

EQ2: Continual dumbing down of crafting system, F2P conversion.

ArcheAge: Asinine PvP system, Trion...

Posted (edited)

Grind, leveling, any form of questing / collection/ repeating events that requires more than 48 hours of gameplay to appropriate level for PvP.

Instagib bosses that kill in one hit.

PK by players that are 5x your level if you didn't start in alpha / beta.

Getting randomly ganked in PvP if openworld PvP with no designated PvP zone

Gear that requires RNG and months of grinding to complete.

Skill spam gameplay in many Asian MMOs where you can spam 1.

Cash shop imbalances that don't relate to cosmetics , especially PvP.

Small group PvP only

Twitch / unforgiving MMOs that kill you if you lag for 2 seconds connecting to their overseas server.

Bots, gold sellers

Over-reliance on potions = who has more money ingame wins 

Super imbalanced PvP

Hitboxes depending on character customization

Lack of character build / skills / trait customization : more than several viable ways to play a class / profession (i.e. a tanky warrior, DPS warrior , hybrid warrior ; DPS wizard/witch , healer wizard/witch , CC /stun , support, etc)

Support / healing classes getting much less experience than offense classes such as warrior / mage / etc

Edited by Confusion.Infusion
2 people like this

Posted

Eli, Eli, lama sabachthai

RNGesus has abandoned me.

Posted (edited)

Before I was looking for new MMORPG and before I'll tell you something about it I wanna tell why I've been playing one MMORPG for a long time:

Lineage 2 - because of many things to do when you're close to end game or you just reached it, I could do:

- fight for castles against others big clans

- fight for territory wars against others big clans

- daily olympiad fights  (1 vs 1), when you win you get some olympiad points, when you lose you lost some olympiad points, at the end of the month system is summaring points of every player, if you was the best playing your class you will get hero status which gives you special aura, you can use special global chat (everyone online will see it), you wil get special hero skills, there's a list of top 10 players of each class

glad_hero_001.jpg

- ganking war tags on hunting grounds

- epic fights for epic bosses which drops the best jewelry in game, gives specific stats (world bosses like Antharas, Valakas, Baium, Frintezza there I could get more PvP during one fight session when clans were waiting for a spawn and fighting for it than in my last's shitty no end game MMORPGS, literally)

Been playin this since 2005-2012, couldn't play any new mmo longer than 2 month:

- boring, repetitve gameplay, instances, instances, instances, battlegrounds, no open world, no open world bosses with good items drop, no competition between community (guild/clans), everyone is just a random for each other, lack of pure open PvP content, literally lack of interesting end game or no end game at all

Edited by Enzo
10 people like this