• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Your MMO Background

Your MMO Background?   117 votes

1. 1. How experienced are you with MMOs?

• I play multiple MMOs and always keep up-to-date with new releases.
    • I play alot of MMOs, but don't keep up-to-date with new releases.
    • I have only played a handful MMOs in my life.
    • I have only played one or two other MMOs in my life.
    • BDO is my first.
    • What is a MMO?
    • I am le interweb tr0ll.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

65 posts in this topic

Posted

It's a VERY different experience gameplay wise but yes, having played both since their betas and still playing both - I agree that GW1 offers much more and is just overall a better experience.  Especially now that John Smith has seen to it that nobody runs dungeons in GW2 anymore and Fractals are still a waste of time.

Yeah that whole dungeon thing that they're doing is rather annoying. Honestly, I cannot fathom why they would do that when they game gets criticism for lack of tings to do at end-game as is.

Okay, I'll give GW1 a try once I get a new HDD.

Posted (edited)

Yeah that whole dungeon thing that they're doing is rather annoying. Honestly, I cannot fathom why they would do that when they game gets criticism for lack of tings to do at end-game as is.

Okay, I'll give GW1 a try once I get a new HDD.

Let me know if you do.  I'll be glad to get into that again with someone new.  You can even link up your GW1 and GW2 accounts and get GW2 rewards by playing GW1 :D

Forgot to even reply about the GW2 bit.  Yeah their stance makes me sick.  A LOT of good players left the game after that whole dungeon fiasco.  I still have the game installed for my guild's sake but I hardly play it anymore - which is a shame.

Edited by Mdogg

Posted

My friends kept trying to get me into Blade and Soul.  What is your take on that game?

Summary
It's everything you would expect from a themepark MMO. You go through all the rides, and see all the flashy events. But once you go through one or three roller coasters (waiting included), they all start to feel the same. And then security harasses you for thinking you're thrift shopping the souvenir stand because you look the least threatening to pick on out of the crowd and you don't want to go back for a long time.

Details (Warning: long detail)

It's your typical MMO traveling quest to quest (beat some baddies, gain exp from quests, move on, repeat), and in the back of your head, you constantly feel like "you have to do this" or else you'll get nowhere. Honestly, I felt like I can't just stop and smell the roses like I do with BDO.

I like the idea that you can fly around Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style, but it's nothing useful. (Fyi, no mounts exist)

One plus is its story if you're into that. They obviously took some thought into wanting the game to be story driven up until end game. The voicing is also decent too. I have some gripes about the story, but they're minor. Nothing wrong I can honestly point out that more than half of Korean MMOs fail in.

Another plus is its combat. It's very flashy, and can get hype in some PvP matches. Its con is also its combat. Past level 25-ish, the game started to feel more mechanical than fun, where you don't as much as feel rewarded, and more like "Finally I'm done with this quest!" type of mentality. It's debatable honestly, and both BDO and BnS have their own flare, but for me, BnS is just not up my alley.

Biggest killer for me was its constant loading screens and BnS' community as a whole.

First, loading screens. The world is broken up into segments and is not open world like BDOs. Loading screens can take up between 5 – 44 seconds depending on your computer. (It took me 12 seconds to load into a ****ing house...!!) This completely destroys immersion and constantly feel taunted by loading screens, whispering to you "Are you having fun yet?" per wait time.

Second, the community. BnS (while not exactly the worst I've seen) is an example of what I've come to expect from F2P players: whiny kids who can't sit down for one second and be civilized. If you have a complaint about the game, "git gud" is the first thing that unanimously pops up. 

Party quests are also a chore, where if you're really "lucky" (which is fairly common) you'll get a party member who likes to bum rush through the quest, ignore story dialogue and leave everyone in the dust. If you don't make it in time to fight the dungeon boss, everyone else who's not in the fight will be excluded from the battle by an annoying wall of fire, where if you try to go through, you'll die.

As for communication, chat is dead. World/guild chat is filled with gold sellers (and even then, no one cares to interact like human beings).

And lets not forget the botters –

20160129031827a0ebf40176vsf8oq.jpg

BnS's solution is to give everyone the ability to block chat spams up to 200 times (resets when you log off), which is honestly not a solution at all. And as for botters, I don't know if the mods just gave up or are just waiting on hearing a solution.

Lastly, the moderators themselves. I feel like the localization team slowly gave up three weeks after it had started, and are just focusing more on advertising and getting new players to join. Because when it comes to reporting bots via forum, some people get issued a warning (or even a ban) for revealing a player's name (in this case, a botter's name). This is honestly the weirdest/stupidest banning protocol I've heard from a gaming company, but it's ridiculous to ban someone for revealing a botter's name.

There's a lot more to this I can ramble on about (e.g. They use GameGuard), but I'd just be beating a dead horse at this point.

If the community was friendlier, less bots and a more helpful localization team that was willing to listen (which I don't blame them for not in an F2P community), then I would probably have enjoyed this game more than it's worth for a little longer. Otherwise, just not my game entirely.

This is my opinion on the game however, and how I feel about it. Others will have a different take on the matter, but if you like how BDO is both in combat and immersion, then I would say BnS isn't going to hold your attention for long.

1 person likes this

Posted

Alienware can't melt steel beams 

But can a pickle raid

Posted

Let me know if you do.  I'll be glad to get into that again with someone new.  You can even link up your GW1 and GW2 accounts and get GW2 rewards by playing GW1 :D

Will do. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Started with WoW, then WAR, Rift, EQ2, DAoC, SWToR, ESO, Neverwinter. Those are the ones I spent any time in. I have also played a metric ton of f2p junk that keeps my attention for a day or 2.

Posted

Summary
It's everything you would expect from a themepark MMO. You go through all the rides, and see all the flashy events. But once you go through one or three roller coasters (waiting included), they all start to feel the same. And then security harasses you for thinking you're thrift shopping the souvenir stand because you look the least threatening to pick on out of the crowd and you don't want to go back for a long time.

Details (Warning: long detail)

It's your typical MMO traveling quest to quest (beat some baddies, gain exp from quests, move on, repeat), and in the back of your head, you constantly feel like "you have to do this" or else you'll get nowhere. Honestly, I felt like I can't just stop and smell the roses like I do with BDO.

I like the idea that you can fly around Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style, but it's nothing useful. (Fyi, no mounts exist)

One plus is its story if you're into that. They obviously took some thought into wanting the game to be story driven up until end game. The voicing is also decent too. I have some gripes about the story, but they're minor. Nothing wrong I can honestly point out that more than half of Korean MMOs fail in.

Another plus is its combat. It's very flashy, and can get hype in some PvP matches. Its con is also its combat. Past level 25-ish, the game started to feel more mechanical than fun, where you don't as much as feel rewarded, and more like "Finally I'm done with this quest!" type of mentality. It's debatable honestly, and both BDO and BnS have their own flare, but for me, BnS is just not up my alley.

Biggest killer for me was its constant loading screens and BnS' community as a whole.

First, loading screens. The world is broken up into segments and is not open world like BDOs. Loading screens can take up between 5 – 44 seconds depending on your computer. (It took me 12 seconds to load into a ****ing house...!!) This completely destroys immersion and constantly feel taunted by loading screens, whispering to you "Are you having fun yet?" per wait time.

Second, the community. BnS (while not exactly the worst I've seen) is an example of what I've come to expect from F2P players: whiny kids who can't sit down for one second and be civilized. If you have a complaint about the game, "git gud" is the first thing that unanimously pops up. 

Party quests are also a chore, where if you're really "lucky" (which is fairly common) you'll get a party member who likes to bum rush through the quest, ignore story dialogue and leave everyone in the dust. If you don't make it in time to fight the dungeon boss, everyone else who's not in the fight will be excluded from the battle by an annoying wall of fire, where if you try to go through, you'll die.

As for communication, chat is dead. World/guild chat is filled with gold sellers (and even then, no one cares to interact like human beings).

And lets not forget the botters –

20160129031827a0ebf40176vsf8oq.jpg

BnS's solution is to give everyone the ability to block chat spams up to 200 times (resets when you log off), which is honestly not a solution at all. And as for botters, I don't know if the mods just gave up or are just waiting on hearing a solution.

Lastly, the moderators themselves. I feel like the localization team slowly gave up three weeks after it had started, and are just focusing more on advertising and getting new players to join. Because when it comes to reporting bots via forum, some people get issued a warning (or even a ban) for revealing a player's name (in this case, a botter's name). This is honestly the weirdest/stupidest banning protocol I've heard from a gaming company, but it's ridiculous to ban someone for revealing a botter's name.

There's a lot more to this I can ramble on about (e.g. They use GameGuard), but I'd just be beating a dead horse at this point.

If the community was friendlier, less bots and a more helpful localization team that was willing to listen (which I don't blame them for not in an F2P community), then I would probably have enjoyed this game more than it's worth for a little longer. Otherwise, just not my game entirely.

This is my opinion on the game however, and how I feel about it. Others will have a different take on the matter, but if you like how BDO is both in combat and immersion, then I would say BnS isn't going to hold your attention for long.

Thanks so much for the detailed (what an understatement!) reply.  It seems like the general consensus at this point is it's a bot-ridden F2P game that got boring nearly a month after launch.  Guess I'll stay away from that one.

Posted

I started out playing a MUD for a year or so then played EQ for a while then back to a couple of different MUD's for a couple of more years.

Once I got broadband internet i moved away from MUD's and try different MMO's looking for The One that gives me the same enjoyment I got from Mudding.

Posted

For me,    Ultima Online,  EQ1, DAoC, Horizons, WoW, LotRO, EQ2, The Secret World, in that order.

now, this and Winning Putt.  :D

Posted

i played lots of mmorpgs when i was younger like WoW, GW2, Silk Road , Cabal, C9, FlyFF, Tera, Forsaken World, Perfect World, Runes of Magic

but lately i didnt play mmorpgs

now i want to start playing a good MMORPG again but i want to test it first

i liked GW2 but after some days playtime i began to notice i didnt like the weapon/skill system and me and my friends stop playing after that wasted some money

Posted

Runescape, Maplestory, Wild Star, ESO (loved it), WoW and a few smaller MMOs such as Endless Online.

BDO has pulled me in more than any of these and I'm loving it.

Posted

I am le interweb tr0ll ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

same, nice prank

Posted

My very first try was the first edition of 'the Sims'. Then a short while 'Age of Empires' also the early version. Then Neocron, a phantastic German PvP game. And THEN it was DIABLO2 for a long time

Of course after that  WOW, Everquest and all of those of those days.

Since then all the 'biggies', GW all expansions and GW2, SWTOR, Aion, Elder Scrolls, FFXIV,Neverwinter, etc etc and for Ps of course Dark Soul, Demon Soul with all the later ones.

Posted (edited)

So i played quite e few MMOs like WoW was my first true love when it was vanilla TBC was pretty good and WotLK had some promise but after that i lost interest. My main MMO that i play right now is TERA Online on NA-AV server where i main a Slayer. I tried DCUO got to max level did some end game but they kind of went P2W and to many DLC wich if you didn't have you were missing out on a lot of content. I also played Aion but i dropped it for TERA because of the action combat wich i am still loving :D

I also spent a lot of time with MU Online man this game can suck up your life....

Played Linege 2, Silkroad, Defiance, WildStar,SkyForge,ArcheAge,Neverwinter,Rift, Elder Scrolls online (beta only didn't liked it at all), Guild Wars 2

I am also playing Diablo 3 mainly seasonal now, Season 5 is about to end though waiting on Season 6. I main a Barb.

And for the recent releases i tried BnS in beta and at full release i don't like it first in beta i felt like everything was made out of cardboard din't had any real feedback it was like i was ice skating. Gave it another shot at release not much changed so i dropped it.

Now i am trying to decide to buy BDO but i am not sure.

As for other games i play Dota 2, Smite, CS 1.6, CSGO, Paladins.

Ask me anything you want if you're intrested in knowing more about me.

Oh and about my forum name i made  a mistake in making it is there any way to change it ? Thanks

Edited by ARES_LUCI@YAHOO.COM
Forgot some stuff

Posted

I've played way too many to list but since 2003 it would be safe to say that I've played every western MMO except Eve with my first MMO being the late, sometimes great, Star Wars Galaxies.  Man I wish an MMO would incorporate the crafting and profession/class system of SWG with the combat of BDO.