• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Black Desert Vs Vindictus

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So now that the game is out how would you guys compare the game to vindictus but not so much overall since black desert is open world while vindictus isn't but more so on the combat and overall feel of the game

Edited by Gonbread

Posted

No one forces you to play BD.

Posted

I'm downloading still, so can't say. I really hope the combat is fast and responsive like Vindictus. I have a feeling it will be more like Blade and Soul because it's hotkey.

Not a bad thing, I recently played Blade and Soul and the combat is really nice despite it being hotkey. Definitely miles ahead of Tera.

Posted (edited)

I'm downloading still, so can't say. I really hope the combat is fast and responsive like Vindictus. I have a feeling it will be more like Blade and Soul because it's hotkey.

Not a bad thing, I recently played Blade and Soul and the combat is really nice despite it being hotkey. Definitely miles ahead of Tera.

Never played Vindictus, but you can get away with using all of your spells without using the hotkey buttons and mainly use WASD, E/F/Shift with LMB & RMB, whereas Blade and Souls' gameplay's the complete opposite and made sure you used all of your shortcuts.

*recalls doing KFM ani-cancel*

Edited by Banzatou

Posted (edited)

Vindictus combat is like simplistic arcade fighter. You do combos to pull off skills. You have a normal attack, heavy attack, grab, and dodge. Everything reacts immediately when you press. Essentially you can dodge or block all attacks if you do at the right time and got a handle on the attack patterns of bosses. Something Blade and Soul doesn't have. Some skills just hit you no matter what. Vindictus you have to aim skill shots, they don't magically find their way to you or to your target. xD

Nothing in Vindictus is hot-keyed for skills, it's just a sequence of using the normal, heavy, dodge etc to pull off skills that you unlock and level like other games.

Blade and Soul you have to hit a button and you'll do a pretty skill. This looks like same thing, a skill is attached to one button that may have a 2nd activation using same button (not sure cause haven't really watched to many vids or anything yet) what I find most important though is that when I hit a skill it doesn't feel like there are bricks strapped to my character (like Tera had) lol Tera had horribly sluggish combat. 

Edited by RocknRolla
2 people like this

Posted

Vindictus combat is far more responsive and twitch-based, and the precision of character and mob attack hitboxes are about as good as it gets in an action/hack'n'slash game. That made Vindy combat easy to pickup, but hard to completely master. It was all on you to dodge that attack, to land your attacks, and to make sure you had time to stand still and drink that potion. Even a glancing hit in vindy could take out 1/4 of your HP. The animations also have much more care put into them versus BDO's,

BDO is less responsive, since there is a minuscule delay after inputting a key before the attack starts (this may be because it's open world though) and the actual multi-key inputs for attacks introduces human delay too, versus Vindy's single-key input. It's overall less fast-paced than Vindy, but BDO is still significantly more fast paced than many other action MMOs. Lastly, hitbox... it's not important to know the exact radius, radial timing, and individual hit-delay of each attack. The hitboxes are large enough that you will generally hit anything in front of you in range of the attack no problems. However, this also means you can't make use of a hitbox's shape or variable range to pull off unusual stunts. You can afford to take more hits than in Vindy as well, and it's difficult to fully dodge all attacks; you'll end up taking a few hits one way or the other in the chaos, but luckily they don't take you out in 3 hits. Lastly, BDO's animations are more on the simple side, but it does try to compensate with more flashy effects and sparks. 

Overall feel... VIndy had a more interesting storyline, but BDO has a more interesting world to explore (because open world, eh?). Also more things to do than fighting, which is a plus, and you don't even need to be high level to use high level gear; you can use all gear at level 1. Now, getting it on the otherhand... grind well and grind hard. Also, the enhance system/bonuses in BDO is even worse than Vindy because a +17 gear person can take on 3 +15 users and completely trounce them without much trouble. The power gap between high enhance levels is atrocious.

One final thing, BDO has evasion and accuracy stats, which means even if you physically land the hit, there's still a chance the enemy can "evade" your attack and make it miss. You're pretty much at the mercy of RNG on whether the attack you landed counts as a hit, or is considered a miss. Higher accuracy diminishes the chance of a miss, but it'll still be there nonetheless. Imo, they really should have taken this out and implemented a more powerful dodge system instead of this rng stats thing. If you want to dodge that firestorm or explosion, you should be able to dash or leap out of the way instead of relying on rng to defend you. 

2 people like this

Posted

lol the enhanced gear levels seems daunting. especially since this has more pvp than vindictus 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Other then combat and fashion this game beats Vindictus into the ground, which is overkill considering the entirety of vindictus is already 6 feet under

Things vindictus excels in~

Fashion and armor 

Combat is amazing to the point that It definitely made me picky about the games I play and have played

Boss battles are actually epic

Now things ares vindictus does poorly in~

Vindictus is p2w and you need to drop like 500+dollars on it, srs some people have dropped alot more 

Graphics are outdated in Vindictus 

PVP is utter trash and isn't large scaled

GMs are unresponsive

Nexon is doesn't provide feedback to the community

Too many bugs

You think the grind is bad in BDO? Try vindictus

Not unlike Nexon, the vindi community is unsociable 

The combat in this game is great just not on vindi level

Edited by 2forever0@gmail.com
1 person likes this

Posted

Combat wise, Vindictus for sure

Overall BDO wins.

Combat is amazing to the point that It definitely made me picky about the games I play and have played

Yea man even it makes me playing BDO with a little disappointment.

Posted

Personally, I find BDO better in all but the story. Even in the story BDO has the potential if the translations were better. Combat in Vindictus seems a bit more fluid, but i feel that stems from the fact that there are less keys involved to execute multiple skills. The more i play, the more i like BDO's combat over Vindictus. Other than combat, they two are vastly different games, so they will appeal to different kinds of players. I have played Vindictus for four years and i am thinking hard about making BDO my main game. That could be because i have played Vindictus for so long and need a change of pace though.

Posted (edited)

Other then combat and fashion this game beats Vindictus into the ground, which is overkill considering the entirety of vindictus is already 6 feet under

Things vindictus excels in~

Fashion and armor 

Boss battles are actually epic

Now things ares vindictus does poorly in~

Vindictus is p2w and you need to drop like 500+dollars on it, srs some people have dropped alot more 

Graphics are outdated in Vindictus 

PVP is utter trash and isn't large scaled

GMs are unresponsive

Nexon is doesn't provide feedback to the community

Too many bugs

You think the grind is bad in BDO? Try vindictus

Not unlike Nexon, the vindi community is unsociable 

The combat in this game is great just not on vindi level

Pretty obvious that black desert beats vindictus at everything else kinda why I said let's just stick to the combat

Edited by Gonbread

Posted

BDO reminds me of a 3d DFO. I've played terra, echo, vindictus etc... and find the combat in BDO to be great. There's a timer on some skills (a little reminiscent of League) if that's what you mean by delay, but when using meelee attacks and combos I haven't noticed a problem at all. As long as I keep up my dodging I haven't died in combat because of any kind of response delay (and I even get frame loss since I'm running the game on higher graphics than I should). 

I liked the combat in Terra and combat here feel pretty much the same. I just got really bored with the endless repetitive mass murder quests and constantly getting new armor and weapons every other quest. I really like just running around taking the long way to gain breath, doing fishing trade routes and reading up on how everything works. It's nice to have a game that doesn't just force feed info on how the game works pre-chewed (while you can find quests to walk you through things) down your throat and instead makes you an expert by having you either learn or research. 

When I first played Vindictus I thought the combat was very revolutionary for an MMO and enjoyed it but I have to say that there wasn't a time in the last couple of years watching BDO being streamed that I didn't want to play this game when they finally released it in the US. It actually got me back into MMOs.

Oh, and I definitely like the community (except the usual few wackos you'll get) a lot more in BDO. I've noticed people will cooperate with strangers a lot more to get tasks completed. I'm really liking this game and it only took a day to really get most of it down.

Posted

Never got why people compare a lot of action mmos to Tera and bdo I guess cause they are newer but to me at least the combat wasn't the same or even better vindictus and boss battles we're lacking too I liked the feeling in vindictus with the dragon battle for example it's not like wow were the tank takes all the aggro and u can kinda just do your rotation worry free other than the every now and then aoe attack but instead the dragon trys to kill everyone kinda like a real battle well if dragons were real ;p and if u died it was your fault and no one else's not the healer or tank just you rlly give you a sense of accomplishment if u just stay alive during the fight 

Crazy thing is action combat has been around forever on console games at least like kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc so I never got why mmos didn't start with action combat especially when they are more powerful than a console 

Posted

Latency. That's why.

1 person likes this

Posted

Never got why people compare a lot of action mmos to Tera and bdo I guess cause they are newer but to me at least the combat wasn't the same or even better vindictus and boss battles we're lacking too I liked the feeling in vindictus with the dragon battle for example it's not like wow were the tank takes all the aggro and u can kinda just do your rotation worry free other than the every now and then aoe attack but instead the dragon trys to kill everyone kinda like a real battle well if dragons were real ;p and if u died it was your fault and no one else's not the healer or tank just you rlly give you a sense of accomplishment if u just stay alive during the fight 

Crazy thing is action combat has been around forever on console games at least like kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc so I never got why mmos didn't start with action combat especially when they are more powerful than a console 

This is because Tera boasts how they are like the first and REAL action mmo, with aweeeesssooomme action combat...so INNOVATIVE. lol we all know its a load a crap xD

It's fun to take jabs at the game because it's so easy to tell they are simply not the best action mmo, and for it's time..was still miles behind others for 'action' combat.

Posted

Have not been "fortunate" enough to play BDO, so I am unable to judge and compare it to Vindictus, but in Vindictus:

Loved farming, loved having 12+ inventory pages of dyes (1 gold dyes ftw), loved carrying, loved walking around with my self-made +14 and having people call me p2w- 'cos they were too stupid to "take advantage" of certain events. Truly great game- just shitty community.

2012_03_01_0006.thumb.jpg.b690c34a90f2d0

Resold for millions; became a fat cat B|.

Posted

So now that the game is out how would you guys compare the game to vindictus but not so much overall since black desert is open world while vindictus isn't but more so on the combat and overall feel of the game

If you are going to compare them in combat only then aight. But if it is on everything that i say Black desert is better. (IDK about the combat part)

Posted (edited)

Something I wrote up a couple of months ago (note: I played Vindictus actively as my main game for 3 years):

I've played the Korean version for some months, and reached lvl 52 there (past softcap), so hereby I'll tell you my opinion about Black Desert and a comparison with Vindictus:

Grinding
In the current Korean version, the softcap is lvl 50, which can be reached in ~16 hours if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing or if you're just taking things easy, it'll take you 2-3 weeks of playing actively.
The hardcap is lvl 60, which will take several months of active grinding to reach. Therefor, the game is a lot more grindy than Vindictus. Well, Vindictus actually really isn't grindy at all.

Open World
Black Desert is an open world game, and the world is really really really massive. In the 4-5 months I actively played, I think I discovered maybe 40-50% of the map. And I went exploring a lot.

One of your biggest concerns may be that you need to travel a lot. However, there is a very nice pathfinder/autorun which can bring you to your location while you afk or semi-afk. Might sound a bit odd, but it's very useful and makes travel not a huge bother.

The world is also just extremely beautiful and immersive. The graphics top Vindictus by a lot, and just everything in the world looks dynamic and alive. If you slash your sword near tall grass, it will get cut. NPCs move around, they're not stuck at one spot. At night, certain NPCs leave their shops and go to sleep. Even the mobs don't just stand there idle in the fields, you can actually see them sleep / eat / live their lives until you come along and kill them.

PvE (Combat)
The combat of Black Desert is quite similar to Vindictus, and you actually need to dodge & aim. 
However, it's a bit less dynamic than Vindictus because there's no real strategy/tactics involved such as character placement, aiming your dodge or counter-attacks. It's mostly kiting (hit and run/dodge before the mob will hit).
There are no raids or bosses which you can spend 10 mins fighting on. There are some quest boss summon scrolls, but they are very easy and can be soloed. There are also 2-3 open world bosses (at lvl 50+) but they are usually packed with 50-100 people, and they stagger for every hit taken. This means that they can barely move and are just a zergfest.

Regular monsters (where you will spend 99% of your time in PvE) are also quite easy and won't even scratch your HP, unless you go for very high lvl monsters. You can mostly facetank everything or kill things before they even hit you.

Potions have almost no cooldown, and are spammable mid-combat (no drinking animation). However, a lot of players have requested for a longer cooldown and making them heal-over-time instead of instant-heal. This would increase the difficulty and hopefully Daum EU will listen to the player's feedback about this.

Despite the combat not being very challenging, it is still quite fun, and the closest to Vindictus I have seen in mmorpgs so far (I have tried Tera and Blade&Soul too, but those were worse). The above 3 paragraphs may seem very negative, but I actually still quite enjoy the combat in BDO. It's also quite alike Vindictus in the sense of making combo's with WASD, LMB, RMB, Shift, F and E. Just take a look at this video to get a good idea.
Most of the official trailers feature pretty clunky combat in my opinion, while it isn't like that in the actual release.

All in all, the combat isn't quite as nice as Vindictus, but pretty much the closest you're gonna get.

PvP
There are a few PvP options, such as PvP arena (open world, so not just 1v1), siege wars, guild wars and PKing.
I'm not sure how balanced the classes are vs eachother, but I do know that gear is very unbalanced. The gap between each enhancement lvl of your gear is just so huge, that gear pretty much dominates PvP instead of player skill. Hopefully this will be adjusted for the EU release.

RNG
Unfortunately, RNG is also a part of Black Desert. But only in the enhancement system really. The maximum enhancement level is +20, and this takes a lot of gold and luck.

Drops however, are not so RNG dependant. There are random geardrops and blackstones (used for enhancing) when fighting mobs, but these are pretty consistent and drop often. Besides that, every "crapmaterial" that you drop can be traded in for gear or blackstones. For example: 80 crapmaterial = 1 armor part.
So if you are farming, you will never waste time without profit even if you are unlucky.

Enhancing works a bit like Vindictus, minus the runes and destroying your items. Here is a chart with successrates. Failing will decrease your item's durability. Enhancing up until +15 is quite simple, but from +15 to +20 it suddenly becomes very very expensive. And failing above +16 will decrease your enhancement rank with -1 again. 
There's never a chance for it to reset to +0 or break your item.
You can build failstacks which will increase your success chance. Whenever you fail = more chance for success on next try.

Socketing (BDO's equivalent of enchanting) has 100% success rate. However, when you die there is a chance of one of your sockets to be destroyed. The more expensive your socket is, the less chance of it being broken.

Party play
Just like Vindictus, there is no real party play. There are no designated tank/healer/dps roles. The wizard does have a heal and revive skill (just like Evie) but it's not spammable nor sustainable for being designated healer.

The maximum amount of members in a party (so far) is 5, and the party leader can select different loot options.

What else?
Besides combat, there is so much to do in the world of BDO. You can even lvl to the cap without ever touching a single monster.
There is:
- Fishing (quite fun and profitable)
- Gathering
- Trading (like Archeage, but less extensive)
- Exploring
- Crafting
- Alchemy
- Cooking
- Housing
- Horse taming and breeding
- Pet breeding
- Collecting knowledge
- Over 10.000 quests
- and more...

There is so much content to keep you busy for... forever really.

One of the main concerns of many players is the lack of endgame content. This is true in some ways. There are no raids or very hard bosses, and there is no substantial PvP content with which you can gain profit or even progress at all.
However, this game does have way more endgame content than Vindictus. There are definitely things to do and keep you busy, even after you've reached the cap. If you can put up with Vindictus' "endgame", you certainly will have no issues here and will probably even wonder why everyone is complaining about lack of endgame.

Buy to play
Yes, the EU release will be buy to play, which means a one-time fee to get the game. The prices come in packs of €30, €50 and €100.

Having to pay for the EU version while the KR and JP version are free, may come as a disappointment for some of you. But we do get some nice perks with it:
- No pay2win cashshop
- A lot of things that are normally cashshop will be available for free
- No goldsellers / spammers
- Less scammers and cheaters
- Generally a more mature playerbase

If you really want to try out the game before deciding whether you want to buy it, I suggest downloading the Russian version and using an English patch, or getting your hands on a 7 day guest pass.

My opinion
Black Desert is the first mmorpg that feels like it can definitely replace Vindictus for me. It's an insanely extensive game, so beautiful, immersive and fun. Reaching endgame in it will take more than a year for me, and that is something I'm looking forward to.
I definitely consider the game worth buying.

Edited by Dark Ashelin
1 person likes this

Posted

- Generally a more mature playerbase

That was something I was looking forward to, but was pretty let down by. Channel chat is pretty bad with the flagrant insults, and no one really talks in general or parties. I think I've seen more playerbashing and nonsensical rage in BDO in 2 weeks than a year of Vindy (In the NA version, I'm aware EU had some... problems).

Have not been "fortunate" enough to play BDO, so I am unable to judge and compare it to Vindictus, but in Vindictus:

2012_03_01_0006.thumb.jpg.b690c34a90f2d0

Resold for millions; became a fat cat B|.

That's literally what I did to get my fortune in Vindy. When those pure white dyes tanked to 100k (Events OP), it was stock stock stock, then wait... and sell them for 25 mil a piece hahaha. 

Posted

That's literally what I did to get my fortune in Vindy. When those pure white dyes tanked to 100k (Events OP), it was stock stock stock, then wait... and sell them for 25 mil a piece hahaha. 

*High fives* ;)

Posted

Nexon is ... Ughh... ;n ;

Posted

Vindictus is a dungeon crawler BDO is open world?

Posted (edited)

I don't understand?

I have played Vindictus, but the only thing that I found remotely coming back for more was Glas and his new form, Keaghan Hero, Succubus Queen, and feather sprinting when Fiona couldn't block a lot of moves. 

I don't think 5-6 bosses in a game where all you DO is boss and get read mega's from ChiefPacers is going to make me say the game has better combat. 
The dungeon mobs were one of the worst part of the game, after doing so many fast scroll farming, thunder ring farms, etc. Misty peak being the worst along with all the people who didn't f12 or ready.

Actually, the fashion in Vindictus was better, but it required people to pay to use that fashion in combat, and I'm not fond of giving Nexon any money.

I will admit though, Vindictus has made me extremely picky about games I have played in the future, but as the new updates stand, a lot of the bosses besides new-glas turn it into pure sandbag. 

I guess blood lord is cool? But again, it favors Kai like all the new bosses, so really bad class balance there.  And when I mean favors, I mean you'll be spending half the time running after the boss while kai can sit at safe spots and do their rotation.

Edited by Lt_Welkin