• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

toxicity How to best deal with the toxicity?

91 posts in this topic

Posted

It would be great to see GM/CM leadership and players lead an effort to end the toxicity that go on within the game. While it is understood that the Korean national law ties social security numbers to gamer's online usage, that is not with the rest of the world. Allowing anonymous bigotry, racism, injustice and obscene language overrun our games should not be the norm. Can the BDO Online community, make a pledge to somehow eliminate the discontent we are forced to endure every moment we log on? While blocking a person is a great option, it is an illusion. The issue is not being dealt with and another player will have to deal with an identical crisis. Eventually toxicity will take its toll and destroy the game as many others are. Please make a pledge to end online toxicity within BDO and point out these acts. Eventually these people will get the hint that they are not funny nor to be taken serious. Once the rest of the community alienates them, they will have no choice to adjust or simply leave. This really needs to be a large effort if it is to succeed. Make a joke of it if you will but people do suffer from online verbal abuse and hate. It is simply wrong to allow it to continue. Some will agree and others not. But do not claim that "nothing" can be done. Nothing, will be done without making an attempt, I firmly believe that. Good day and happy gaming friends! I hope a GM/CM can respond and agree to this thread.

Harrassment.png

5 people like this

Posted

I just checked all conversation in the screenshot. I don't find any of the conversations toxic. Those are online players just making fun of others. I call it letting some steam out.

I have 2 different chat windows. 1 for all. 2 for important stuff like Guild/Party/System etc.

I always stay on 2 and get on 1 if i feel bored.

I'm in a guild which is highly active. so i get enough chatter in Teamspeak or guild chat to fill my ears.

The best possible solution is not chat suppression, but focusing on things you like.

I know really good people in real life, just act like the biggest dbag on chat. Again, "Letting some steam out".

Hope this helped.

2 people like this

Posted

This game (like most) has a block feature.

Instructions:

Click on the players name, click block and confirm. Their you go! Life goes on.

2 people like this

Posted

I just checked all conversation in the screenshot. I don't find any of the conversations toxic. Those are online players just making fun of others. I call it letting some steam out.

I have 2 different chat windows. 1 for all. 2 for important stuff like Guild/Party/System etc.

I always stay on 2 and get on 1 if i feel bored.

I'm in a guild which is highly active. so i get enough chatter in Teamspeak or guild chat to fill my ears.

The best possible solution is not chat suppression, but focusing on things you like.

I know really good people in real life, just act like the biggest dbag on chat. Again, "Letting some steam out".

Hope this helped.

Thanks for the prompt reply and giving your outlook. There is no wrong or right in any of it as it is an opinion, just as the OP is an opinion. However, the screenshot simply refrained to the day to day conversations new players are being forced to read. When people have questions about the game, guilds, quests, activities and more, they should not have to block more than a dozen users to only be bombarded with more negative chatter. I have many more images and logs were the N word has been dropped on many occasions or worse. No one can deny that this goes on and other users are forced to read it. I understand that life is difficult, but I come online to release steam by playing a video game and enjoying it for what it is. I do not release steam to force others to hear about my political stance, agenda, religion, views or insults. I hope this further helps understand my point of view.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the prompt reply and giving your outlook. There is no wrong or right in any of it as it is an opinion, just as the OP is an opinion. However, the screenshot simply refrained to the day to day conversations new players are being forced to read. When people have questions about the game, guilds, quests, activities and more, they should not have to block more than a dozen users to only be bombarded with more negative chatter. I have many more images and logs were the N word has been dropped on many occasions or worse. No one can deny that this goes on and other users are forced to read it. I understand that life is difficult, but I come online to release steam by playing a video game and enjoying it for what it is. I do not release steam to force others to hear about my political stance, agenda, religion, views or insults. I hope this further helps understand my point of view.

I find it rather strange when you say being forced to read. How can someone force another person to read? On MMOs, you need to have a thick skin to ignore chatter. I'm not sure how well verse you are with MMOs, but people engaging in conversations like this and even using F word or N word is treated as normal even though i don't do it.

People come from different backgrounds. It is just a matter of tolerance within us. Negative chatter also a part of chatter. We can't moderate or shouldn't moderate that. I would respectfully advice you to relax on your view about global chat and if it bothers you, just create your own chat screens.

Regarding your restraint to not to let steam out regarding your views, it is just you. Others are them. Each and every individual react or act in different ways. That is sort of the beauty of playing an MMO vs Single player game.

About any questions you have, try to join a good active guild. But then again, don't force yourself of what you do in RL to repeat in MMOs. Those are very different environments.

Hope you have fun in game.

Edited by Emperor_Kush
1 person likes this

Posted

Keep making token complaints, thread submissions, and bumping comments on the topic without getting too worked up or spending too much time on it. Do it as efficiently and put as little time and effort into it as possible. 

Based on prior experience, all you really need is consistent pressure on them and they'll continue to work on the issue.

But putting a million times more effort, passion, and time, into the complaints or pleas for application of common sense on their end will not expedite the process. 

Posted

People can get carried away behind a keyboard.

Some are more sensitive than others.

It's a fine line sometimes.

I tend to block ones I find annoying but will report something that is really out of order.

1 person likes this

Posted

@Emperor, it isn't about myself. I've already seen people leave the game due to the community or swap servers. I am not sure as to what your background or how aware you are with online bullying but it does affect peoples lives. I've been attacked in many ways in real life and in-game that it is the norm. However, I do care about this game a lot for the beauty and time put into it. I have a lot of friends playing this as well who may not have the resistance I do in regard to reading nasty comments. This post isn't a complaint nor is it a cry for help for myself. I have been on MMO's since Ultima Online in '98, if you were as fortunate as me to play that game during its prime I am sure you can recall the community? It was not nearly as toxic. Freedom of speech isn't about being anonymous and finding the very first reason to destroy another persons character or views for your own enjoyment. If this is the case then some major evaluations should be available to the users. I know for a fact that BDO and its team do not condone any of the violent toxic language that goes on now in the game. The simple most regretting factor is the fact 30 energy points are required to channel ban =/ Thanks for the reply and outlook once again!

Posted

Nice biggotry Orlok.

2 people like this

Posted

How do i deal with people who are always getting triggered? its really annoying you could say they ''trigger'' me, people these days.... can't take anything they need to grow some balls and get out of your safe space.

5 people like this

Posted (edited)

How do i deal with people who are always getting triggered? its really annoying you could say they ''trigger'' me, people these days.... can't take anything they need to grow some balls and get out of your safe space.

True, the problem is that people get offended easily these days. But it is also true that there are lot of people who over exaggerate with their childish jokes too. I personally like when people joke about a thing, but sometimes you just have to stop because it gets boring.

Edited by Flashwut
2 people like this

Posted

Grow a thicker skin.

1 person likes this

Posted

Click on the little Gear icon on the chat tab and uncheck Channel Group.

Posted

I use Alchemy to reduce the debuff. It has a permanent AOE that blocks all channel talk.

Posted

Even though I think some things shouldn't be tolerated. I also think people need to be more willing to handle their own internet experience. We talk about internet bullying all the time as if it's something someone else should fix. However unless the case gets extreme, you have the power to block the people that are either directly harassing you or saying something that you don't like/ agree with. Even if people are being rude or ignorant or just plain annoying. You can't just ask for those people to be silenced, after all if they bought the game and they have as much right to this space as you do. (or even they are using a 7 day pass) 

If someone is saying something truly out of line, that's when you should report them. (or can you send in a ticket with a screenshot? I'm not sure if you can do that) They do need to lower the energy costs it takes to report someone though.  

4 people like this

Posted

Even though I think some things shouldn't be tolerated. I also think people need to be more willing to handle their own internet experience. We talk about internet bullying all the time as if it's something someone else should fix. However unless the case gets extreme, you have the power to block the people that are either directly harassing you or saying something that you don't like/ agree with. Even if people are being rude or ignorant or just plain annoying. You can't just ask for those people to be silenced, after all if they bought the game and they have as much right to this space as you do. (or even they are using a 7 day pass) 

If someone is saying something truly out of line, that's when you should report them. (or can you send in a ticket with a screenshot? I'm not sure if you can do that) They do need to lower the energy costs it takes to report someone though.  

This is also very true. Definitely drawing on the fine line of what should be perceived as acceptable and not. I hope to see the gaming evolve into a more competitive, experience yet user welcoming community. 

Posted

Block them or turn off the chat. Moderating the channel chat 24/7 takes up too many resources.. That being said, it's just political debates. Welcome to the internet! Your example is actually very tame, all things considered; yesterday was just a bunch of weeaboos fantasizing over futanaris.

Posted (edited)

I'd suggest a thicker skin. Linked image is pitiful evidence of so called toxicity. 

Edited by Vanwaros
1 person likes this

Posted

You should try reading EVE's local chat when there's a big fight. This is like sunday church tier.

Posted (edited)

That's not toxic chat, you obviously don't know what a toxic chat it. Annoying, perhaps, but not toxic.

@Emperor, it isn't about myself. I've already seen people leave the game due to the community or swap servers. I am not sure as to what your background or how aware you are with online bullying but it does affect peoples lives. I've been attacked in many ways in real life and in-game that it is the norm. However, I do care about this game a lot for the beauty and time put into it. I have a lot of friends playing this as well who may not have the resistance I do in regard to reading nasty comments. This post isn't a complaint nor is it a cry for help for myself. I have been on MMO's since Ultima Online in '98, if you were as fortunate as me to play that game during its prime I am sure you can recall the community? It was not nearly as toxic. Freedom of speech isn't about being anonymous and finding the very first reason to destroy another persons character or views for your own enjoyment. If this is the case then some major evaluations should be available to the users. I know for a fact that BDO and its team do not condone any of the violent toxic language that goes on now in the game. The simple most regretting factor is the fact 30 energy points are required to channel ban =/ Thanks for the reply and outlook once again!

As PurplePumpkin says below, internet bullying is something you can control to an extent. If it's too extreme then something should be done.Nothing I see in your screenshot is toxic and players with very thin skin would be insulted at. Extreme internet bullying would be where they personally single a person out and attempt to harass them. Something you can ignore on the internet is political and religious debates. I'm not old but I wasn't born into the internet, I was just born into computers but before the internet. You're able to block whoever you want. I do agree the chat ban feature is energy heavy and I wish they would change it. But lowering it and result in other bullying by people abusing it on a single person. It still can be if you get your guild to mass chat ban even at 30 energy. I still don't know how Daum is handling chat ban requests, if they are. Also chat ban doesn't do anything at the time you push it, ignoring is your best bet if you're really getting hurt by it.

As people have said it's best to get in a guild and choose another chat tab and leave out general chat.

Plus many times in chat I see people are just trolling people to get a reaction. If you don't react there's nothing they can do except watch everyone else that goes off the deep end and freaks out.

+1

I personally want more Chuck Norris jokes, miss Barrens Chat back in the day lol.

Edited by Conagra
1 person likes this

Posted

May I suggest growing some balls because what you linked is in no way fucking offensive whatsofuckingever. There's a goddamn ignore button, you seem to just be trying to find something that "triggers" you. I'm triggered by your triggering, halp pls. Ever played LoL, DotA, CS:GO? This game is like a heaven compared to the toxicity of those three communities.

Posted

I honestly think you are the problem.  Can we get weak, thin-skinned people out of our games.  So we can continue to have fun....

1 person likes this

Posted

May I suggest growing some balls because what you linked is in no way fucking offensive whatsofuckingever. There's a goddamn ignore button, you seem to just be trying to find something that "triggers" you. I'm triggered by your triggering, halp pls. Ever played LoL, DotA, CS:GO? This game is like a heaven compared to the toxicity of those three communities.

Jeez, blood pressure issues? If you think it is alright for things to deteriorate because of other communities then by all means go for it. The "thin skin" excuse is poorly exhausted. It's unfortunate to see that so many are willing to just excuse behavior of grown adults as those of adolescence. It's your prerogative to be who you want. My theory: "speak to others as you would speak to them in real life". A lesson most people learn during their earlier years (at least in the 80's and 90's). Kudos to you for being able to survive those communities and be willing to have grown men yell at you. With a combination of road rage and serving oversea my PTSD would stroke me out so I stay clear of it.

2 people like this

Posted

Lemme know if I lose you at any point so your carebear mindset doesnt get destroyed by reality, this are the steps.

1. Move mouse to left
2. Click chat number, click silver gear symbol
3. click channel chat, and make sure its not lite.
4. Close box

Now, you shouldnt be able to see reality chat. 

And are you saying youre a frucking veteran? 

Posted

Man up and get thicker skin.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0