• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Blatant cash grabs are a major turn off

170 posts in this topic

Posted

First, its not hard to loot yourself.  Pet is really just a convience for the lazy, and costs silver to upkeep.

Second you get a skill tree reset at 45 so ya... theres that...Invalid point there.

Third, Breeding... um okay again, if you really want that.

Fourth Ghillie suits aren't a requirement of many guilds nor needed to kick serious ass in high level pvp.  All it does is hide your name plate.  If you cant see the glowing red person running up to you then thats on you.  Flagged ghillie suit = red as -----... impossible to miss.  It offers nothing in terms of pvp viability.

The armor I can agree with you on.  Everything in game literally looks like a hobo threw up on you.  Kinda sad.  But the rest just is simply incorrect and not fact.  If you want the convenience of those items then buy them but it doesn't limit you in anyway.

Costs silver? eh.....nawww. Very little, then again I do cook my own feed with the fish I send my goblin minions to get for me. 

Posted

That's objectively not true... sure, it looks pretty, but it's far from well crafted and/or polished...

I disagree. I've ran into much fewer bugs here compared to other  games like ESO (because BDO was already released in other regions beforehand ofc).

The world impressed me at least, full of detail at every turn in a world this big. Compared to other MMORPGs that have bland cities and towns and an unrealistic world structure and architecture. All that room to explore with nothing it in. 

What other MMOs can compare to BDO's world? 

Posted

What other MMOs can compare to BDO's world? 

Starting with Ultima Online? Many... it just, as I said, looks more impressive. Aside from spawn zones and the 20 or so hand crafted locations, the world is largely empty. Sure, it's scattered with randomized plants, stones and debris, making it appear to be more interesting then it actually is, but it really isn't. Compared with the almost 100% handcrafted locations in games like ESO or vanilla WoW, it doesn't hold a candle in terms of creativity and variety. That's a "right now" assessment, mind you...

The same goes for story/quest content. Hardly anything is voice acted - with NPC's spouting the same lines over and over - and aside from the lore entries, there isn't even that much text to be found... I mean, did you go to Calpheon library? There are roughly 30 "books" to read, but each one only contains two, or so lines.

Bottom line: The game really isn't as big and interesting as it appears to be, and comparing it to ESO (a game I hate, mind you) in terms of content is... well, ESO cost roughly 50 times as much as BDO, so.

Posted

Bottom line: The game really isn't as big and interesting as it appears to be, and comparing it to ESO (a game I hate, mind you) in terms of content is... well, ESO cost roughly 50 times as much as BDO, so.

There's much much more than 20 or so. I quit ESO after 2 1/2 years playing it and BDO has more meaningful detail. ESO just has little easter eggs placed just for the players to find and it's made up of bits and pieces with no real ecosystem or sense that the entire world meshes. Areas in BDO makes sense, towns like Trent and Epheria port and Northern wheat plantation all have a reason to exist, it's not just there as filler content with a copy-pasted dungeon like in ESO. This is what I mean by well crafted.    

I can agree BDO story and lore is lacking, there's a lot they could do to make it more interesting outside of visuals and theme. 

Posted

maybe ill just start responding with .....lol to these p2w/cash grab posts.  This game isnt even close to that.  Smart business model, nothing game breaking..but still very convenient items.  If it was made easily available in game, barely anyone would buy it, therefore less money for them...less content/patches for us.

Posted

What is so hard about simply playing the game and not worrying about personally purchasing things that you don't feel are worth it, and not worrying if others do purchase said items? 
Don't want to pay the prices? COOL! Awesome! You don't have too. Isn't that neat? 
You've still got access to the other 99.9% of the game, just your clothes aren't as cool. It's not a tragedy. 

Also, if you think $30 costumes is "chasing whales" 
Please go look at the "packs" Trion offers for AA and RIFT. THAT is whale hunting. 
$30 is more like "hunting for the average employed adult" 

>.> wait what "hunting for the average employed adult" - where are you and what job do you have if spending £30 is what you consider an average employed adult has to waste way on a digital item.

Posted

So what? That's a different culture with different likes and dislikes and a different economy.

That's another refuge of the those who should be on the fire pile, comparing the KR version to here. THEY'RE DIFFERENT, GET OVER IT.

Wow, so they are different, that's why the fish costume is twice as expensive compared to KR. I agree to that, different as in NA/EU have more cows to milk.

When you have enough cows to pay for 30 dollars entry fees, then Daum also realize there are also enough cows to pay whatever prices they want.

YOU RIGHT, it's different, the cows to milk here is more stupid and more gullible with no sense of money and no brain to think. Thanks for pointing out the DIFFERENT.

1 person likes this

Posted

depends where im keeping my cash tbh

You need to stop with comments like this!  I swear if i see another i'm going to snap my boner over my knee and nobody wants that.

Posted

Wow, so they are different, that's why the fish costume is twice as expensive compared to KR. I agree to that, different as in NA/EU have more cows to milk.

When you have enough cows to pay for 30 dollars entry fees, then Daum also realize there are also enough cows to pay whatever prices they want.

YOU RIGHT, it's different, the cows to milk here is more stupid and more gullible with no sense of money and no brain to think. Thanks for pointing out the DIFFERENT.

Grow up you silly little boy.

Posted

For a buy2play game the cash shop prices are really audacious, pretty much the same prices as the korean version? which is f2p..

No customization without cash shop, WAY less effective grinding... It's like half the game is the cash shop and you are obviously left out if you dont want to pay.

I think in the korean version all cash shop items can be sold on the auction house? I would rather have that system tbh, just limit the prices on the items so its not instant p2win.

1 person likes this

Posted

lmao, losing??? how far do u think your $30 go about paying for their staff/maintenance cost, come on we live in a real world, its better for them and u not to have a relationship because the divorce will be bitter especially for u, heh.

It's not just 30, although 30 from me and who knows how many people does add up.  Like I said, I could've been a long-time player and paid hundreds over time.  But I refuse to buy into a monetization system that comes off as underhanded and insidious.  If it starts out this bad, you know it's only going to get worse over time.  They have no subs to rely on for income.

Posted

Price elasticity is precisely what has been commented upon in the past, with them discussing how they believed that they understood it (like you, they thought it was business management 101). Instead, what they discovered was what they thought they knew was not true at all, once they began researching into it.

Probably the most prominent and most wealthy game developer to discuss this would be Gabe Newell. Speaking at the WTIA TechNW panel he specifically brought up what you are discussing, and how the market research he conducted with Steam completely blew that "business management 101" position out of the water. Rather than price elasticity governing revenue, they wound up with a gross revenue increase of 40x (not 40%, 40x). That is an insane amount, so they believed that they were merely shifting future revenue to the present. This turned out to be a false belief, and subsequent trials with the same price slashes resulted in the same trend continuing. The price elasticity position did not ring true.

The same thing has been found by other developers, publishers, and as I mentioned, industry research groups. There is a reason microtransactions have become popular, and that is in effect what a cash shop is. Yet in BDO's case, there is very little "micro" about the transactions.

At first I wrote a huge reply but forget about it, you don't get it. You can read about it on google if you're interested, if not whatever.

Posted

Nothing will change. They have to make money. You have 3 options.

1. Quit the best MMO since Shadowbane

2. Don't buy anything/ vote with wallet

3. Get a real job and buy what you want.

QQing will do nothing.

Posted

AFAIK the russians have a dye system that's simplified. They sell regular colors in regular shops ingame. And the better colors are through cash shop.

That's what I've heard anyways, perhaps we could adopt a system like this.

Posted

I have only been playing for a couple weeks, but have discovered a number of things that have seriously pissed me off. Instead of wall-o-text I will just bullet point:

• In game armor drops are intentionally drab. Looking at what the NPC's are wearing it is obvious this was a "pearl shop" decision on the developers part
  • You cannot have a visible helmet without a hefty investment in real world cash.
  • There is no area loot system in the game, even though the developers obviously have the skill to do this easily. Your only option to work around this is to buy a cash only pet, although most recommend at least 3. if anyone has the gall to complain about this the fanbois start screaming "go back to <insert other mmo here> if you want easy mode! We hit R a thousand times a minute like REAL men!"
  • did you buy every skill that popped up when you were a new player? Well its $9 per mistake to remedy this, sorry we didn't mention it during the tutorial. Have fun  un-screwing your character!
  • Want a better pet? Well sonny all you have to do is buy two of the same species at $10 a piece, breed them together (losing both because breeding causes death, that makes sense) and maybe if the stars are aligned you will get 1 pet out of it that's one degree high, and a random sex to boot. Care to do the math on how much it would actually cost to get a tier 3 pet?
  • Like pvp? Want in a high end pvp clan? Don't want to shell out $30 for a gille suit? GFL

I know I am shouting into the void here, but letting a developer get away with this kinda crap because the come from a different country where this is acceptable is beyond fanboi. It is absolutely absurd. Why am I bothering to post about this? Because I love the gameplay itself and I REALLY want this game to do well in the western market. It has great mechanics, and horrible itemization. Which is pretty much the exact opposite of what we have seen in the past 10 years.
Please let me know if I am wrong on any of the above points. As everyone knows this game is not exactly easily learned, even after numerous hours of researching via youtube and wiki's.

If I had known about even two of the above points before I bought it and played awhile I likely would not have, and I have been warning my friends and coworkers who ask. Not out of spite, but to prevent them from the same level of nerd rage I am experiencing at the moment.

/rant

And I am guessing you're a Bernie Sanders fan too.

1 person likes this

Posted

What did you think they did with the money they make other than keeping servers up, and keeping employees paid? How is it disrespectful to say "HEY guys, this game is not free to keep up or expand on, so the cash shop is helping all of the future content be 100% free to the entire playerbase whether or not you personally spent anything there."

How is that disrespectful? 

well considering other patches are free in other regions, and they aren't making content specifically for us, outside of the crappy localization, yes, suggesting that the $30 box price to keep the rest of patches(that are already made, and completely free elsewhere) is disrespectful.

It adds to my suspicion that they didn't really make it b2p because we asked for it, but more so because they knew they could do it and get away with it lol

Posted

well considering other patches are free in other regions, and they aren't making content specifically for us, outside of the crappy localization, yes, suggesting that the $30 box price to keep the rest of patches(that are already made, and completely free elsewhere) is disrespectful.

It adds to my suspicion that they didn't really make it b2p because we asked for it, but more so because they knew they could do it and get away with it lol

From my perspective this is a silly and pointless way to view things, but you have fun with it. 

Posted (edited)

Yea, was looking forward to playing this until I saw that everything basic to a game will cost you real world money in this one. Like to play with skills till you find a play style that suits you, fork out major bucks per point, lol. Not gonna happen. Hope they change some of this in the days to come because other than the greedy cash grab going on the game looks great. The amount of people I see defending this kind of setup also makes me sad for the future of gaming when the consumer just blindly hands out cash for details to make a game complete.

Edited by FredxXxBear
1 person likes this

Posted

I must have missed the part where gaming became a necessity and not a luxury, that everyone is somehow entitled too for little to no cost, despite how much time, energy, and money others have spent to create and maintain the games.
Personal finance is just that, personal. 
Sorry that you know some people that can't afford the game, or all the things in the cash shop that they want to buy, but how does that translate into DAUM really needs to lower all their prices and they are the worst pubs ever if they don't, blah blah blah.....

It's as simple as this, place your money where you see value, if you don't see value don't place your money. And keep in mind that value is subjective. 
This new generation of "oh I can't afford it/don't want to pay that much so I'm going to cry and moan and ----- as loudly as possible" is really just getting tiresome at this point, 

Fair enough.

But if there's one thing that I've learnt over the internet is that people are more likely to voice something when they can hide behind a computer screen.  Its the same when people screen P2W just because you can buy something.

Or the whole "OMG IF THEY DIDN'T SELL THESE OVERPRICED PRODUCTS THEY WOULD GO BANKRUPT".  There are B2P games that survived years just on initial purchases to keep servers running.  Yet people think that these days that not enough and they've got to make cash grabs just to keep the game afloat because every company seems to be on the breaking point of bankruptcy.

People will always try and get something cheaper if they can get away with it.  Higher the price is, more people that want it lowered.  If it really bothers you that some people can't afford things then just ignore them.  People wanting lower prices isn't going to change anything for you.  Its DAUM you should be screaming when/if they lower the prices.  Not the people wanting lower prices because more often then not you will not change their minds. Just like they won't change yours.  Its just gona be back and forth until someone stop replying.  Much like all the "Ghille Suit is P2W" Threads.  Same people back and forth, same arguements over and over.

But hey people are stubborn like that.  It gives me something to eat while reading if I ever get bored =]

Posted

Thanks to the fishing costume, I decided to swim across the sea to get all the island nodes with a breeze.  Screw fishing boats.  I actually hopped on someone's boat to say hi and then proceeded to beat them swimming across the ocean.