• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Concern about Legion stealing players

61 posts in this topic

Posted

Without a doubt, there will be a large drop off of players on BDO when Legion drops. This is inevitable. WoW is still the most popular and one of the best MMOs out there. 

I believe BDO is an amazing game (besides gender lock, the terrible gear options, looks, and customization) but WoW is WoW and in the end most people playing this game have played WoW and will probably try out Legion. I know myself and my friends who play this game will be trying out Legion. That doesn't mean we will stick with it because I'm sure, like the past few expansions, it will be worth a couple months of playing but thats it. Then I'll return to BDO unless something newer or better drops.

Posted (edited)

I think BDO came out at a great time when there really wasnt anything else promising coming out on the MMO market...but that said WoW is having another xpac it looks like late summer.  I'm a little worried that we are going to end up seeing a drop in players when that happens, really hope I am wrong about this :(

there is a pattern a lot of people will play legion for a month and then leave WoW again

Edited by Darkling

Posted

I think BDO came out at a great time when there really wasnt anything else promising coming out on the MMO market...but that said WoW is having another xpac it looks like late summer.  I'm a little worried that we are going to end up seeing a drop in players when that happens, really hope I am wrong about this :(

We'll have a drop before then hopefully they get smart and strategically time a content release.

Posted

Am I the only one that dropped WoW like a bad habit right after Wrath?

Posted

It might happen. WoW is still the biggest MMO out there, and it is a large part of the market. It might be that there are currently a lot of WoW players trying this game, since I understand WoW is a little dry on content right now. They might go back once more content hits. I suspect this game might be a bit less vulnerable to losing players to WoW though, seeing as it's quite a different style of game that maybe attract a different kind of player, similar to how Eve has been doing well despite WoW.

For now, I wouldn't worry about it too much though. The game is here for now, and there is no reason to believe it's going anywhere. Enjoy it!

Posted

Nope.

Posted

LaJ9Kmo.gif

Posted

No one is going back to WoW.

WoW players that ended up in BDO and didn't quit after 30 minutes are not going back.

Uhhh... lol... uhhh... I hate to tell ya', bud...

Posted

for how long. wow players go back for 1-2months finish the '' raiding '' get their gears and leave again untill next expension.

ppl in tera did this too and i never got it because why work that hard just to log out forever

whenever i got gear i used it in pvp

Posted

ppl in tera did this too and i never got it because why work that hard just to log out forever

whenever i got gear i used it in pvp

Skinner box psychology is why.

It's pretty much a thing in every gear treadmill game.

Posted

Skinner box psychology is why.
It's pretty much a thing in every gear treadmill game.

whats principal skinner psychology sensei?

Posted (edited)

Many did... but we were quickly replaced by the new Generation.. WoW become crap after BC, and wotlk. My friend tried to get me to come back a couple of years ago, and I said sure if you buy me the expansion etc. so he did. I found the game so dumbed down it was honestly ruining any good memories I had of it lol... I found everything besides hardcore raiding very bland, and not challenging in the slightest. Funny thing is a majority of wow player's don't even do the hardcore version as most barely make it through regular raid mode lol.

Visually the game did not age well at all. The name keep's it alive nothing else.

uq0FbYL.png

Edited by Gutted
1 person likes this

Posted

Every new major MMO release will take a few players off BDO. That said, WoW and BDO are different that I doubt we will see many players leave this game to go back to WoW, unless Daum fails really hard at delivering content (or ----- up majorly in some other way). 

Posted

whats principal skinner psychology sensei?

Posted

If & when Black Desert Online's population drops, the reason will less be Legions itself and more about the lack of visual appearance improvement ingame (aka the hobo looks 24/7), cash shop prices too expensive, P2W (or pay to convenience) and the crazy RNG of dyes and gear improvement past +15 Q_Q

BDO doens't need Legions to lose players, the same way WoW doesn't need BDO (or FFXIV or w/e) to lose players, both do a good job by themselves imo

Posted (edited)

Many did... but we were quickly replaced by the new Generation.. WoW become crap after BC, and wotlk. My friend tried to get me to come back a couple of years ago, and I said sure if you buy me the expansion etc. so he did. I found the game so dumbed down it was honestly ruining any good memories I had of it lol... I found everything besides hardcore raiding very bland, and not challenging in the slightest. Funny thing is a majority of wow player's don't even do the hardcore version as most barely make it through regular raid mode lol.

Visually the game did not age well at all. The name keep's it alive nothing else.

uq0FbYL.png

It's REALLY funny to me, someone who has been with WoW since Vanilla, to see all the ways people who have left the game and "fallen out of love" with it  explain not only why they dislike it, but why, despite their dislike, it has continued to be successful, and has retained many, many of its core players over the last decade.

It couldn't simply be that you stopped enjoying the game. No, it must be because all the "OG" players left, were replaced by the "new generation" and now the game simply survives "because of its name". I'm sure.

Would you like my subjective experience and opinion? The game doesn't get a lot of new players, most people have been with it for some time dating back to TBC/WOTLK. People still play it because they enjoy the gameplay model and find it to be the highest quality/most enjoyable of that particular design (theme park). The game will lose steam because it is old, but will retain a core audience of die-hards who... gasp... genuinely enjoy the game! Much like Everquest. It's also my -subjective- experience that most people, the ones who are still playing WoW, think the game -has- aged nicely. Beauty is in the eye and all that...

Would you like to know a fact now? I'll continue giving Blizzard my $15/mo. long after I've un-installed this game.

Toodles.

Edited by Hard Candy

Posted

Legion will generate interest especially with the Warcraft movie coming as well, but I don't know how much of it will come from the BDO pool of players. I personally am still waiting to see how Legion turns out since there are quite a lot of changes coming. To be fair, both BDO and WoW are overflowing with flaws.  For one, lack of trading in BDO really takes away from the MMO feel of working together and combining resource and the gear system is quite dull for an MMO.  Current WoW on the other hand has lost a lot of the RPG flavor and has always lacked in the character customization end. I can't ignore one thing though about WoW.. I've always greatly enjoyed the stories and questing, among the smoothest of mmorpgs aside from maybe swtor (and lotro though that story was largely already written). For all of its flaws, I greatly enjoyed playing through the story of swtor.

I'm just one of the players that's continuously on a (seemingly hopeless) journey for that mmorpg with a good balance of everything. It's left me game hopping for the past couple of years. BDO caught my attention due to the open world feel, but lack of a few key things (gear drop system instead of upgrades, player trading, story) and the cash grab feel are more apt to shorten my visit much more so than Legion's release.

Posted (edited)

It's REALLY funny to me, someone who has been with WoW since Vanilla, to see all the ways people who have left the game and "fallen out of love" with it  explain not only why they dislike it, but why, despite their dislike, it has continued to be successful, and has retained many, many of its core players over the last decade.

It couldn't simply be that you stopped enjoying the game. No, it must be because all the "OG" players left, were replaced by the "new generation" and now the game simply survives "because of its name". I'm sure.

Would you like my subjective experience and opinion? The game doesn't get a lot of new players, most people have been with it for some time dating back to TBC/WOTLK. People still play it because they enjoy the gameplay model and find it to be the highest quality/most enjoyable of that particular design (theme park). The game will lose steam because it is old, but will retain a core audience of die-hards who... gasp... genuinely enjoy the game! Much like Everquest. It's also my -subjective- experience that most people, the ones who are still playing WoW, think the game -has- aged nicely. Beauty is in the eye and all that...

Would you like to know a fact now? I'll continue giving Blizzard my $15/mo. long after I've un-installed this game.

Toodles.

I struck a nerve lol.

(retained many core player's of the last decade..lol - that is your opinion.)

It's true though... Many people simply flock to it because of the popularity of it it's simple. To me WoW is a starter MMO today. But that is my opinion.

Because from my point of view.. And as someone who is apart of several very big pc gaming com. not many play wow anymore and haven't for some time.

I will not bash the game or it's playerbase however... based off of my own opinion I see quite a few wow player's that attempt to leave wow only to suffer the Dunning–Kruger effect.

If you have stuck with the game it's whole life more power to you.

Why would you continue to give them 15$ a month after you've uninstalled, and quit playing.. Now your just being a defensive fanboy seriously.

uq0FbYL.png

Edited by Gutted

Posted (edited)

Im not going to leave , I`ll just play both till i get bored with WoW again.I dont pay money for WoW anymore just use in game money for tokens.

Edited by Talena

Posted

I struck a nerve lol.

(retained many core player's of the last decade..lol - that is your opinion.)

It's true though... Many people simply flock to it because of the popularity of it it's simple. To me WoW is a starter MMO today. But that is my opinion.

Because from my point of view.. And as someone who is apart of several very big pc gaming com. not many play wow anymore and haven't for some time.

If you have stuck with the game it's whole life more power to you.

Why would you continue to give them 15$ a month after you've uninstalled, and quit playing.. Now your just being a defensive fanboy seriously.

What? I still play it. That's why I give them a sub fee. To play the game. I was talking about THIS game. Meaning, long after I've left this game, I'll still be playing WoW.

And yeah, I am a pretty big fan of the Warcraft series in general. I don't really care what your "pc gaming com" sites say. I said in my very post that it's not pulling in a lot of new people. It's old. Most people are going to move on.

Just because it is old though doesn't mean it is shit. It doesn't mean we're just hanging on because we are pathetic and chasing some kind of dragon. I have friends there. I have fun there. I enjoy the world itself. That's why I continue to play it. Are there some things I miss about how it used to be? Of course. I'm not going to tear the whole game down because of it though.

Just like here there are things I dislike, but my conclusion isn't "BDO is shit."

I'm under no illusion that WoW is pulling in massive numbers of new players anymore. It's not. Objectively speaking. So... who is still playing it? People who have been around. Most people in my guild are -at least- mid 20's. Running across a teenager becomes rarer and rarer. Much like it would be strange to find a teenager playing Everquest.

But you know ,this is all my subjective experience playing the game for the last, what, decade? 12 years?

The difference between you and me is I don't post a bunch an obnoxious images about "pc master race" (as if this has anything to do with the discussion) and try and shit on an entire player-base with generalization and insults to their intelligence. (they just flock to it because it's name) If brand recognition was the end all, be all, then SWTOR should be the best game ever made. After all, it has the strongest Western IP in the WORLD. We should be FLOCKING.

And to the topic, do I think Legion will hurt this game? No, I don't. I don't think the two markets are really competing. You don't come here looking for WoW and vice versa. I have a few guildies playing the game with me, but for the most part, the guild is not interested/doesn't care.

Posted

I took a break from WoW to play this game, and after my husband and I have played it for a week we may not go back.

The graphics look like Minecraft compared to this! Plus I like working towards goals that actually take a bit of time to achieve. I have no reason to hate on WoW though, but it's a 10+ year game that's showing it's age.

Posted

I wish we could have one conversation about this game without mentioning wow

Posted

Dont worry, thats the usual circle of wow-xpacs. I myself will also go for legion, progress for 3 months aaaand come back to bdo.

Posted

If & when Black Desert Online's population drops, the reason will less be Legions itself and more about the lack of visual appearance improvement ingame (aka the hobo looks 24/7), cash shop prices too expensive, P2W (or pay to convenience) and the crazy RNG of dyes and gear improvement past +15 Q_Q

BDO doens't need Legions to lose players, the same way WoW doesn't need BDO (or FFXIV or w/e) to lose players, both do a good job by themselves imo

True, and BDO already has a reputation... that ultimately will be the biggest reason for people leaving/not picking it up in the first place.

I wish we could have one conversation about this game without mentioning wow

Again, love it or hate it, but there is no discussion about any MMO whiteout WoW coming up regularly... that's the world we live in, the market Blizzard created.

Posted (edited)

What? I still play it. That's why I give them a sub fee. To play the game. I was talking about THIS game. Meaning, long after I've left this game, I'll still be playing WoW.

And yeah, I am a pretty big fan of the Warcraft series in general. I don't really care what your "pc gaming com" sites say. I said in my very post that it's not pulling in a lot of new people. It's old. Most people are going to move on.

Just because it is old though doesn't mean it is shit. It doesn't mean we're just hanging on because we are pathetic and chasing some kind of dragon. I have friends there. I have fun there. I enjoy the world itself. That's why I continue to play it. Are there some things I miss about how it used to be? Of course. I'm not going to tear the whole game down because of it though.

Just like here there are things I dislike, but my conclusion isn't "BDO is shit."

I'm under no illusion that WoW is pulling in massive numbers of new players anymore. It's not. Objectively speaking. So... who is still playing it? People who have been around. Most people in my guild are -at least- mid 20's. Running across a teenager becomes rarer and rarer. Much like it would be strange to find a teenager playing Everquest.

But you know ,this is all my subjective experience playing the game for the last, what, decade? 12 years?

The difference between you and me is I don't post a bunch an obnoxious images about "pc master race" (as if this has anything to do with the discussion) and try and shit on an entire player-base with generalization and insults to their intelligence. (they just flock to it because it's name) If brand recognition was the end all, be all, then SWTOR should be the best game ever made. After all, it has the strongest Western IP in the WORLD. We should be FLOCKING.

And to the topic, do I think Legion will hurt this game? No, I don't. I don't think the two markets are really competing. You don't come here looking for WoW and vice versa. I have a few guildies playing the game with me, but for the most part, the guild is not interested/doesn't care.

It's pc gaming community not webiste lol... And dude you don't have to explain why you still play the game etc.. I'm not judging you... I also never said wow was shit either.

And the image is bugged stuck so sorry if you think I'm pc master race spamming you... Here is a pro tip from a fellow pc gamer to pc gamer... Don;t read so much into comment's like mine on forum's in general.

Also the problem is people are not moving on... People will not let it die... If everyone would have let it die years ago like it should have yall would probably have or atleast be close to them creating it's successor however that is not the case.

Yes every wow expansion hurt's everything. period.

uq0FbYL.png

Edited by Gutted